Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
What's all this "learning" you guys keep talking about? I don't know anyone who genuinely learned a single goddamn thing. I don't even know anyone who kept pretending to learn once we all figured out we'd get into the serious memorizing at BarBri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
Yeah, absolutely the social aspect. The academic aspect is boring but easy and I have zero interest in (and utter contempt for) legal academia.

:smug:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
In law school I learned that I could drink a fifth of tequila in an afternoon as long I maintained a strict 3:2 shot:margarita ratio

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Anthropolis posted:

The University of Michigan Law School is an unmitigated shithole. Pros: All of the pretension and expense of a top national law school without any distracting frills such as job placement or meaningful resources. Cons: ??
Take in the historic Law Quadrangle, which was built in 1912 to house the first entering class of eight law students. Every square inch has been under extensive renovation and reconstruction every year since; the facilities can now comfortably educate up to thirty-two students
hahahahahaha

i dont care what the other faggots say this is great

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Defleshed posted:

Is everyone saying they loved law school talking about the "academic" experience as opposed to the friends you made or the social aspect or whatever?

If so, I don't get it. It wasn't challenging, thought-provoking, or engaging in any way to me. I'd spend the entire semester doodling in my notebook and then cram for three days and take a final or do research for a week and write a paper in a day. The material in nearly every class I took ranged from simply mind-numbingly dull (ERISA Litigation) to aggressively complex yet completely uninteresting (Immigration Law). And the 1L classes with their rote memorization of the same poo poo everyone in every law school across the country is learning? How was that in anyway "fun"?

All law school was to me was a chore to get through so I could get a law degree and take the bar exam. I think it seemed that way to me because I didn't much get into the social aspect either, being an evening student with a full-time job and a family. I made maybe 3 or 4 friends in law school and hardly ever went to the social events. That's what leads me to believe that the people who are saying they enjoyed it are talking about the social aspect. It just baffles me that someone could enjoy the perfunctory academics of the whole thing.

I made my earlier comment because it seemed to me that everyone I know who was able to get a big firm job (not many in the class of '09) seemed to be the type of person who really got a kick out of the bullshit structure of academics in law school and thrived on working really loving hard to push out that last .01 of GPA. In other words, the antithesis of me. v:shobon:v

I dunno, maybe I just hated it because it was an extra 4 hours a night every night of the week for three years.

I have a great job now, and will be starting my dream job in July so it was worth I'll be damned if I ever say it was "fun".

I'm really sorry if this comes of elitist but there is really no way to point out that nightschool may not be the best place to get an intellectual challenge without being a :btroll: I may be opening up the :dong: waving about what school people went to and how great each was, but I would venture that night classes are not designed to optimize the intellectual challenge. If anything, I would say that I enjoyed law school FAR more for the intellectual challenge and almost contemptuous of the social situation. At times I would best describe my law school social scene like High School on 'roids. All Drugs, Sex, and Drama. Double dose for those on the 'prestigious' journal.

I am envious of your dream job and really don't want to be elist or dickish about this, but to compare the intellectual challenges of an evening lawschool with one that meets on a regular schedule to say nothing of the ivory towers of the T14 elite(ists) is a bit like saying all cars are slow because you drive a Minivan. :iiaca: Not saying minivans are bad, just that they aren't great at the quarter mile.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KennyG posted:

I'm really sorry if this comes of elitist but there is really no way to point out that nightschool may not be the best place to get an intellectual challenge without being a :btroll: I may be opening up the :dong: waving about what school people went to and how great each was, but I would venture that night classes are not designed to optimize the intellectual challenge. If anything, I would say that I enjoyed law school FAR more for the intellectual challenge and almost contemptuous of the social situation. At times I would best describe my law school social scene like High School on 'roids. All Drugs, Sex, and Drama. Double dose for those on the 'prestigious' journal.

I am envious of your dream job and really don't want to be elist or dickish about this, but to compare the intellectual challenges of an evening lawschool with one that meets on a regular schedule to say nothing of the ivory towers of the T14 elite(ists) is a bit like saying all cars are slow because you drive a Minivan. :iiaca: Not saying minivans are bad, just that they aren't great at the quarter mile.
FYI, for hiring, if you have a law school that has a day and a night program, the students from the night program are generally considered better.
Also Georgetown offers a night school and is a t14.
(I went to a day school. I didn't find anything but the more advanced crim law stuff very intellectually stimulating).

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

nm posted:

FYI, for hiring, if you have a law school that has a day and a night program, the students from the night program are generally considered better.
Gonna need to see some sort of source on this assertion.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

KennyG posted:

Perhaps there is some sort of emoticon that perfectly summarizes you...

Could it be...

:frogout:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

KennyG posted:

do you go to duke? you sound like you go to duke

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

KennyG posted:

I'm really sorry if this comes of elitist but there is really no way to point out that nightschool may not be the best place to get an intellectual challenge without being a :btroll:

I'm really sorry if this comes off as you don't know what the gently caress you are talking about but there was literally no difference between the classes I took and the classes the day program took and most were taught by the same professors.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What's that, KennyG?

Yes your post is in fact horrible and retarded poo poo we can't wait to delete

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

KennyG posted:

All Drugs, Sex, and Drama.

You said this like it's a bad thing. I'm not connecting the dots here.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Defleshed posted:

I'm really sorry if this comes off as you don't know what the gently caress you are talking about but there was literally no difference between the classes I took and the classes the day program took and most were taught by the same professors.
get to the back of the bus you subhuman night schooler

your betters are speaking

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

go to night classes and you will end up practicing in front of this guy

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Is that doctored or did he really have a ginormous head

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Foaming Chicken posted:

Well, Phil does enjoy a certain notoriety for his Judge Stone doctored photos and fanfic hobby.

Phil with it.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
The real question is if he bills for it under "review judicial strategy" or other some such nebulous qualification.

The GIS and quick photoshop job - followed by a scotch and taco toast to a job well done - is at least a solid .5 to the client. .8 if you want to make a stretch to include immediate digestion time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Linguica posted:

Gonna need to see some sort of source on this assertion.
Former-managing (and hiring) partner of a larger law firm.

The actual reason is that generally night school students don't move to go to law
school as the whole goal is to keep a current job. This means that a person who could have gone to a T14 goes to the local TTT night program.
This means that generally the quality of an applicant from a school's night program will be better than one at a day program.
For example at the local TTT, the firm in question might consider the top 10% of the day, but would consider the top 30% of the night program. They have a greater depth of talent.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

nm posted:

Former-managing (and hiring) partner of a larger law firm.

The actual reason is that generally night school students don't move to go to law
school as the whole goal is to keep a current job. This means that a person who could have gone to a T14 goes to the local TTT night program.
This means that generally the quality of an applicant from a school's night program will be better than one at a day program.
For example at the local TTT, the firm in question might consider the top 10% of the day, but would consider the top 30% of the night program. They have a greater depth of talent.

Hobos use a similar logic when dumpster-diving outside of fancy restaurants.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

nm posted:

Is this a troll? I seriously can't tell.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Soothing Vapors posted:

Stuff

You got your Jemina avatar back! Haaaaaave you listened to her solo album? It's good. Michigan rejected me, by the way, gently caress all you fat nerds.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
pretty sure night school is mostly middle-aged hausfraus bored of life and looking to do something else now that their kids are moving out and no man will ever love them again.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Linguica posted:

Is this a troll? I seriously can't tell.
No, it is actually the truth about what may hiring partners believe.

This doesn't mean a TTT night school will be better than a T14 day school or even a slightly better ranked day program.
It means that in general, for a school with both day and evening classes, the average person doing an evening class will have been a better student. This only works within the same school.

The reason is because night school populations are different. Someone lives in a town with a TTT and gets a good LSAT score. They get into a few T14s across the country as well as the local TTT night program. They have a decent job at a local company and because they know law school isn't a guaranteed job, they opt to keep their job and go to the local TTT's night program. It isn't that the classes are any better or the education is better, but the people in these programs have other reasons for going to lovely TTT than "I hosed up undergrad and got a 140 LSAT."

The reason everyone has a negative view of nigh school is because it is an area almost always occupied by lovely TTTs. These are still lovely TTTs. And their students are a product of a lovely TTT. But a product of lovely TTT night program has an edge up on the product of the same lovely TTT day program.
I'm not making this up. Talk to hiring people in local firms about your local school with a night and day program (likely a lovely TTT), and they'll probably agree.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Foaming Chicken posted:

Holy crap you're right! And look how close his hands are to his feet. What a strangely proportioned body that man has

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Napoleon I posted:

pretty sure night school is mostly middle-aged hausfraus bored of life and looking to do something else now that their kids are moving out and no man will ever love them again.

Now you're getting it

As far as night school people from TTT's being more attractive to hiring partners I unfortunately went to night school in a city with 6 law schools, 2 of which are in the Top 14 so I don't think that logic applied to me or my classmates. Among people I know who stayed in the night program the whole time and graduated at the end of 2009 with me, most of us have jobs now (finally) but not a single person is in Biglaw. The small handful of night students I know with Biglaw jobs rolled the dice by quitting their day jobs and transferring to the day program after 1L. Thus they were more able to participate in the (feeble) OCI and instead of taking classes all summer and working at their jobs, they were able to do summers at firms.

I didn't even bother with OCI because I knew I couldn't take summer off from the job I had at the time to do a summer at a firm. I have mouths to feed and needed a year-round full time job with benefits and all that. In retrospect I should have tried to figure out a way to do it but part of my reluctance was that I was already beginning to suspect that I just wouldn't make it in a big law firm environment. I value my personal time more than I value an enormous paycheck.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 30, 2010

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

Talk to hiring people in local firms about your local school with a night and day program (likely a lovely TTT), and they'll probably agree.

This. Also in general we have had jobs and know how to work in an office environment so the firm isn't having to deal with some 25 year old who has never worked full time anywhere.

As a night student at SMU (TTT am i rite?) and having taken day classes I can tell you the only difference is the professors are a bit more relaxed in their night classes than they are during their day classes. They know if we aren't prepared it's because we had a busy day at work or our kid had some issue rather than we drank too much booze the night before.

Edit: Chiming in to say law school is a miserable horrible hoop jumping exercise.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 30, 2010

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Just got an A- in a class I virtually never showed up to, and used an 8-page outline that simply had the case names, the page, and a single sentence on what they were about.

This owns.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
On a lighter note, this was posted on ATL.

quote:

Attached is a letter we received on November 19th. I feel that you should be aware that some rear end in a top hat is signing your name to stupid letters.

Very truly yours,
Awesome Lawyer

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

evilweasel posted:

Just got an A- in a class I virtually never showed up to, and used an 8-page outline that simply had the case names, the page, and a single sentence on what they were about.

This owns.

When do grades generally come out for 1Ls?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Holland Oats posted:

Typically several days after every possible employer has already hired enough of them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

"when they're done" which is usually pretty loving late

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

At northeastern I once had a professor who was 2 months late with his grades

no consequences

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
At mine, grades were due by noon on the 30th day after the last day of finals. However, they would post them as they got them, so this generally meant I'd get two or three grades before Christmas from professors who would rather crank that poo poo out before the holiday, then get the last two about a week into the Spring semester from the professors who had gotten them in at 12:02 on the day they were due.

My greatest achievement in law school was in con crim pro; I went to class maybe half the time, and when I was there I spent it playing online scrabble. I didn't bother to study for the final; it was open book, so I borrowed my friend's outline, skimmed it once before I walked in, took the test, and got a B+. If I had spent five more minutes familiarizing myself with where things were located in the outline, I would have gotten an A.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
y'all are scrubs I booked a class completely cold once :c00l:

(it was by far the highlight of my overall B student performance)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Soothing Vapors posted:

do you go to duke? you sound like you go to duke

burn with me

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Business of Ferrets posted:

SWATJester, do you have anything to tell the thread?

Oh. Yes, I do, how the gently caress did I forget to tell this thread. I got my Foreign Service offer today, for the March class.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
From what I understand, HYS don't have night programs. Therefore if you go to a school with a night program, who cares which one you are enrolled in, you are boned either way.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
May as well do the school description thing while I'm at it.

American University (Washington College of Law) - myself and mreford are alumni, maybe some others as well. AU is a lower T1 school (usually ranking in the mid 40's) in Washington DC's far NW area, right along the Maryland border on Massachusetts Ave. in the Tenleytown/AU Park neighborhood. It's actually three separate campuses: The main campus is around Ward Circle at Mass Ave. and Nebraska Ave. and has all the undergrad stuff as well as most of the graduate colleges (SIS, SBS, KBS, etc.) and the gym (important) and Bender arena (if you like b-ball). The current WCL campus is further, about a 6-10 minute walk down a pretty part of Mass. Ave, and there is a shuttle that goes between them. It's one big building, across from a starbucks and Crate & Barrell, with a couple of banks, restaurants, and a Giant next to it. (Mass Ave. between Warren St. and Yuma St. if you are google mapping). Apparently the law school is moving from where it is now, to the third location, the Tenley campus (which currently houses the international student program). The Tenley campus is right by the metro on Nebraska Ave. near Connecticut Ave. There's a Whole Foods, a Best Buy, and a bunch of other stores nearby. Metro access is the Red Line, Tenleytown/AU station, with shuttles and metrobus service to all three campuses.

Pros

*In D.C., easy access to all the DC stuff.
*Some faculty are world-class level incredible.
*Ranked ahead of Howard, Catholic, UM, UDC, and a bunch of other schools in the same region.
*One of the best schools in the world for human rights, public interest, and international affairs law. If you want to do panda work, this is for you.
*Multilingual courses, so bilingual students will have all sorts of cool opportunities.
*Lots of international study and joint degree programs internationally.
*Moving campus could pay off big.
*Recruits better than average for its size. Despite the downturn almost all of my friends have good jobs, many of which include big firms (Latham, etc.)
*IP Clinic one of the oldest and best in the nation. You can do some seriously cool work in the clinic program overall.
*Dean Grossman is Chair of the UN CAT, so if you are into UN or human rights work, there is awesome potential to travel with him and get in on some exclusive work experience.
*Extremely well-funded journals.
*SBA positions are basically candy for anyone who wants them, and the SBA throws around about 2/3rd million on student orgs each year, so
*Maryland bar is one of the easiest in the nation (90% first time passage rate -- I breezed it without a whole lot of study + slacking through BarBri), and doesn't require MPRE, also has no CLE requirements and no mandatory pro bono minimums. Plus, waive into DC immediately (with MPRE score and a minimal MBE score requirement) and VA after 5 years in good standing.
*DC is a great place to live.

Cons
*Not the best school in DC by far. It's a distant third behind G.W. and GULC, and sorta tied with George Mason
*Very expensive school, well beyond what it should be. Expect all things considered around $60,000 a year. And you're in D.C., which is expensive to live in.
*Neighborhood around the school is multi-million dollar homes, so only way you're renting there is in a group house or basement.
*Currently no metrorail access at the school itself. You have to take the shuttle, walk, or take the bus. Either way it makes it very inconvenient to get to, especially because there is inconsistent service and the transport staff is terrible.
*Some professors are rear end-horrible.
*It's way way down there on the list of places you want to go if standard corporate law is what you want to do.
*Dean Grossman is Chair of the UN CAT, so he is never, ever, ever there to run the school. Therefore, the school is really run by Dean Jaffe, who you either will like, or not like.
*Internal politics are FULL of drama.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

At northeastern I once had a professor who was 2 months late with his grades

no consequences
We didn't get our property grades until after spring break.
That prof no longer works at the law school, but it has nothing to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

SWATJester posted:

Oh. Yes, I do, how the gently caress did I forget to tell this thread. I got my Foreign Service offer today, for the March class.

Congrats man! A fried of mine from high school has been doing that gig for years and he loves it. He and his wife are currently in Thailand.