Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

MariusLecter posted:

2.Citizen Kane - The 'Rose Bud' twist had been spoiled long before I knew about the movie and I had seen a parody done by Tiny Toons and thought the movie was ruined for me. Maybe I'm wrong?

I was so glad when I finally saw this all the way through, and you will be too. Believe me, the "Rosebud" references are the least of your worries when it comes to this flick. It's the subtle homages and inspirations you'll find elsewhere in pop culture that are much more interesting. What you really want to do is watch it, then go listen to "The Union Forever" by the White Stripes. Or hell, read Watchmen and keep your eye on the composition of the panels.

So...Time Bandits. It was cute, but didn't engage me wildly. Some great ideas in there, though. I loved the image of a kid falling in with a band of roguish dwarfs. The Evil Entity's giant maze was handled well too. And Cleese as Robin Hood loving slayed me. That bit was pure Python, no doubt about it. Overall, though, I didn't buy a lot of it. I guess tend to like Gilliam's darker stuff way better, like Brazil and Tideland.

Now then, my updated list:

Seven Samurai
Ran
Yojimbo
High and Low

I haven't seen any Kurosawa, actually. Don't know why, just never came up. Oh, also, speaking of...

Akira
Was going to watch it after the original Ghost in the Shell but I got sidetracked.

The Descent
Unrelated to the rest of my list (which has become quite Japanese all of a sudden). Every online taste aggregator I've been subjected to says I'll like this. They might be right.

Qatsi trilogy
Baraka
Chronos
Tejút

I've seen Koyaanisqatsi, but it was so long ago I could reacquaint myself with it and then finish out the trilogy, or I could dive into any of these other abstract films I've been meaning to get around to.

So Far: Time Bandits - 6/10

e: VVV I'm so not kidding. There's a reason they call that book "the Citizen Kane of comics," and it's not just because it's drat good. Watch what Welles does with the opening credits.

pill for your ills fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

pill for your ills posted:

I was so glad when I finally saw this all the way through, and you will be too. Believe me, the "Rosebud" references are the least of your worries when it comes to this flick. It's the subtle homages and inspirations you'll find elsewhere in pop culture that are much more interesting. What you really want to do is watch it, then go listen to "The Union Forever" by the White Stripes. Or hell, read Watchmen and keep your eye on the composition of the panels.

You're kidding?

Gonna hustle to get my hands on Citizen Kane and lucky me I have a paperback of Watchmen I bought back when the movie was released. Thanks for giving me an excuse to dish it up and read it again before the year is out :hehe:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Pills for your ills, having just watched Seven Samurai I think you'll enjoy it.

Terminator 2 was loving awesome. Although John Connor as a 10 year old "badass" is kind of cheesy and wore on me at times. Still great movie. 8/10

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

#21 The Seventh Seal - Been meaning to start with Bergman for awhile. Also, I want to know how that chess game ends.

#23 Mulholland Dr. - Let's give Lynch another go.

#24 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I haven't watched a western in a while and this has been on my to do list for a long time.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#26 Pee-Wee's Big Adventure - Let's do this.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai, #20 Terminator 2: Judgement Day

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
TrixRabbi, you get The Seventh Seal.

I had to let La Dolce Vita sit for a day so I could figure out what I wanted to say about it. And I think all I'm going to say is that it resonated with me more deeply than I ever expected it to.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Au Hasard Balthazar A movie about a donkey? I'm hesitant to say the least.

Pather Panchali I've always had a thing for Indian literature, so I supposed I should give cinema a try.

The Leopard I know absolutely nothing about this movie. That being said, should I watch the English version or Italian Version?

The Mirror I really liked the last Tarkovsky I saw, looking forward to getting further into his movies.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance I know I've seen this before, but I was probably only a teenager.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

tokillthesunflower posted:

Pather Panchali I've always had a thing for Indian literature, so I supposed I should give cinema a try.

If you can, try to track down the rest of the trilogy after this one. I watched it this month and loved them.

Hope it doesn't make me a bad person but I knocked a few off my list before hitting Diving Bell.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - I liked it, although I will admit my mind started drifting to other things. I still managed to not lose focus.

1. Hamlet (1948) - It's Hamlet. A version I haven't seen yet. Last one I've seen was on MST3K, I believe.
2. King Kong remake - I never had an interest in watching this. It always seemed like it would be long and boring. But I have it and haven't seen it.
3. Chungking Express - I've been "planning" to watch this for so long, that I own it on VHS(sitting in this very room) and on DVD.
4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.
5. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - No clue about this movie.
6. Raise the Red Lantern - No clue. I think it's safe to assume it has nothing to do with the Green Lantern ;)
7. Walk The Line - Never got excited to see this even though I heard it's good.
8. Dead Poets Society - Came out when I was a kid and the ads sure didn't make me, a horror and sci-fi lover, have any desire to see it.
9. Point Blank - I used to talk with the guy that made Reflections of Evil and since my last name is Walker, he always signed the email "Lee Marvin is Walker, in Point Blank. So I eventually tracked it down to watch. That was years ago.
10. The Last Emperor - I think I saw part of this a long time ago and wanted to come back and watch it in full

Seen: The Wrestler, Witness for the Prosecution, White Heat, The Kid, Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925), Pushpak, Juno, The Right Stuff, Anatomy of A Murder, Sophie's Choice, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Broken Blossoms, Dirty Harry, Hannah and Her Sisters, Bullitt, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Satya, Grease

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

chemosh6969 posted:

4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.

Watch this. It's good, but kind of quirky. It's got a lot of depth, even though it looks like a kid's movie at first. At least, in my estimation. A good movie, either way.

As for my list...

[1] The Godfather - Any of them. I've tried at times, but something always stops me. The last time, I was streaming them on this Netflix for Xbox 360 when my internet connection died.

[2] Boondock Saints - I never really thought about it. Never really felt a reason to.

[3] Fight Club - When it came out, I was 14 and my parents didn't let me. Now, I just never thought about it.

[4] Citizen Kane - Never had access to it, really... never came up on the Netflix thing.

[5] Reservoir Dogs - My friends say it's good, but I don't know that much about it.

[6] Die Hard - I've seen a lot of Bruce Willis' films. Just never caught this one.

[7] Yojimbo - I'm a fan of Kurosawa in general. Just never had a chance to see t his one.

[8] The Exorcist - I've never been a fan of horror movies in general. I've heard this one is a classic.

[9] Alien - I've seen Aliens, but not the original. I was gonna watch it, but as with #1, the internet where I was at died before I could.

[10] All Quiet on the Western Front - I read the book in school, enjoyed it. Didn't know there was a film of it until just a few months ago.

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 29, 2010

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN
Dr , watch Reservoir Dogs. The dialogue alone makes it awesome. The first viewing will be all the better if you don't know anything about it too.

1) Rainman
2) Bad Taste
3) Mulholland Drive
4) The 51st State
5) The Piano
6) Predator
7) Barry Lyndon
8) Hannah and her Sisters
9) Eraserhead
10) The Wild Bunch

Seen : Thin Red Line (7/10) , Annie Hall (9/10) , Evil Dead (9/10) , Heat (8/10)

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

rangi- The last time I gave you "Heat" which is a great action movie.
This time I'm giving you "51st State", a bad one. I'm not sure why it's on your list because I think it's pretty horrid movie, but I want to make sure you don't miss out on it, since you've been mislead to think it's "great". I can't imagine anybody else recommending it, so here goes. Here's hoping you can tick it off your list as quickly as possible.

I watched "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" and thought it was pretty fantastic. I do understand why some people may not like it (it is a little sappy) but it's great for what it is.

1. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

2. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries

3. The Great Escape:
Just never saw it, and know nothing about it.

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. Magnolia:
I'm actually still kinda a fan of Cruise (even though he's crazy) and I always thought this looked interesting

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
zandert33, I kinda want to give you 8 1/2 because I just watched it, but instead I'm going to go with Magnolia, which i really dig, hopefully you will too

8 1/2 will get better on repeat viewings I'm sure, but i still enjoyed the hell out of it. I didn't really find it so much a film about writer's block, but about someone that feels trapped by life and everyone around them and doesn't know how to deal with it. It was a beautiful film.

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start
2) Chinatown- finishing up my important films of the 70s list
3) Solaris- broadening my sci-fi horizons
4) Fitzcarraldo- starting in on Herzog
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- the last major Newman film I have to see
9) The General- my silent film experience is lacking, so let's start here
10) She Wore A Yellow Ribbon- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Mistletoe Donkey, watch The General. As one of my classmates once said, 'Buster Keaton is a pimp.'

Pather Panchali is really fantastic. The photography was really beautiful, and I found the story to be really engaging throughout. The scene with the mother watching over Durga during the storm did a really good job of building tension. I found it to be uplifting, even with all of its heartbreak.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

The Leopard I know absolutely nothing about this movie. That being said, should I watch the English version or Italian Version?

The Mirror I really liked the last Tarkovsky I saw, looking forward to getting further into his movies.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance I know I've seen this before, but I was probably only a teenager.

To Be or Not to Be I'm running out of excuses.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
tokillthesunflower, let's go with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

The General was one of the most purely entertaining movies I've seen in a long time. I had a huge grin on my face the entire time. Keaton is simply brilliant and I found myself rooting for his character more than I've rooted for a character in a while. Can't say enough about this.

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start
9) City Lights- going to make this my silent film slot

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Go with this one. It's a good film, but it's mainly because of Lugosi. Still a classic, though.

Just watched: Reservoir Dogs. It was thoroughly entertaining, and my guess about who the rat was (Spoilered just in case. Not taking any chances.) at the beginning was right. Still, I enjoyed how it played out and can see why it was a classic. I may rewatch it some time.

[1] The Godfather - Any of them. I've tried at times, but something always stops me. The last time, I was streaming them on this Netflix for Xbox 360 when my internet connection died.

[2] Boondock Saints - I never really thought about it. Never really felt a reason to.

[3] Fight Club - When it came out, I was 14 and my parents didn't let me. Now, I just never thought about it.

[4] Citizen Kane - Never had access to it, really... never came up on the Netflix thing.

[5] Trainspotting - A friend keeps telling me to watch it, I just haven't yet.

[6] Die Hard - I've seen a lot of Bruce Willis' films. Just never caught this one.

[7] Yojimbo - I'm a fan of Kurosawa in general. Just never had a chance to see t his one.

[8] The Exorcist - I've never been a fan of horror movies in general. I've heard this one is a classic.

[9] Alien - I've seen Aliens, but not the original. I was gonna watch it, but as with #1, the internet where I was at died before I could.

[10] All Quiet on the Western Front - I read the book in school, enjoyed it. Didn't know there was a film of it until just a few months ago.

Watched: Reservoir Dogs,

Edit: Edited to correct an error. It's 'Aliens' not 'Alien 2'.

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 29, 2010

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Dr. Not A Doctor, watch Citizen Kane, it's basically the initiation rite for film snobbery.

1. Cries and Whispers - This will be my first color Bergman. I pretty much know I will love this as I'm a huge fan and I loved Persona, which I hear this is most similar to.

2. The Last of The Mohicans - I need to see more Michael Mann, I recently saw Manhunter and loved it, and you can't go wrong with Mr. Day-Lewis.

3. The Face of Another - Teshigahara is amazing, it's too bad he didn't make more movies. Pitfall was really interesting and Woman In The Dunes blew me away. Time to finish up his "trilogy".

4. Shadow of A Doubt - I'm still kind of a Hitchcock newbie, and I hear this was his personal favorite of his films.

5. The Elephant Man - This is one of the 3 Lynch films I haven't seen, the other 2 being Dune and The Straight Story. I guess I'm just scared of what a non-Lynchian Lynch is like.

6. Touch of Evil - Orson loving Welles.

7. The New World - Terence Malick is a cinematic genius. This is the only one of his 4 films that I have not seen. Feel like it's time now that The Tree of Life is finally coming out.

8. The Rules of The Game - Apparently one of the best films of all time. Also this will be my first Renoir.

9. Paris, Texas/Wings of Desire - I've never seen a Wim Wenders film for some reason, even though I'm a big fan of other German New Wave people like Herzog and Fassbinder. I'm down for either one of these and they're both on Netflix Instant.

10. White - Second film in Kiezlowksi's Three Colors Trilogy. Blue was incredible and I loved The Double Life of Veronique so I'm excited for this.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
HP Hovercraft, you get Paris, Texas, which I watched because of this thread and was absolutely enamored with. I didn't think Wings of Desire was as good, but it's purely subjective.

I just finished Serpico and I'd call it good but not great. The gritty 70s shooting style sells the stakes of Serpico's dilemma. Pacino does his usual great acting job and the storytelling structure is intriguing. The soundtrack is a little unbalanced; I thought the score was intrusively loud. There's too much exposition for a story such as this. This film also has the misfortune of being about the zillionth character study I've seen of a man whose single-minded obsession alienates his lovers. It's a good movie, but it's not stellar.

I also knocked out Bram Stoker's Dracula; I was lukewarm toward it. There were some beautiful scenes in it; Coppola always directs a mean montage. I liked the way he messed with saturation and color balancing to support the movie's unique "neo-B-movie" aesthetic. Speaking of which, I thought the idea behind the visual aesthetic was a very novel one, taking the look and feel and on-camera effects of old B-movies and adding nudity, violence and carefully-manipulated color.

In practice, though, the film was seriously overlong and boring in a lot of places. Oldman hammed it the gently caress up, but Ryder and Reeves seemed to be playing straight and failing. To be fair, though, I didn't think Mina was well-written, and Reeves played his character right-handed (he's left-handed in real life), so maybe he was putting in some effort after all. Not a terrible movie, but it falls far short of greatness for me.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: I've heard it's awesome; it sounds pretty out-there and kinda fun.
Au Revoir Les Enfants: I've heard a lot of good things about this movie, but I don't know much about it except the basic plot.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Forbidden Planet: Shakespeare's The Tempest done up as a 50s B-movie starring Leslie Nielsen? And it inspired Star Trek? I need to see this poo poo.
Kagemusha: Kurosawa wins my heart more with every film. I've seen 8, which for his filmography is just getting started.
L'Avventura: I hated Blow-Up, but Antonioni deserves another chance.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Rain Man: I've watched many, many, many 80s movies, but this is apparently one of the classics of the era that I missed.
Tremors: I've heard this is the one of the best comedy-horror films ever made. I know less about it than the Sliders episode that plagiarized it.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

CloseFriend posted:

Forbidden Planet

I was tempted to go for Kagemusha, but that, in my opinion, is one of the weaker Kurosawa, whilst Forbidden Planet is a film that runs very strong even now.

Rules of the Game. This put Gosford Park into context. Rules of the Game did it 60 years before, and did it better. The film is funny and touching, but carries an incredibly vicious assault on the class structure of France before the war. You got to play by the rules, but the rules keep you in your place...

My list becomes ...

1. Singing in the Rain Urgh, musicals are just not my thing, but maybe now's the time.

2. King Kong The original monster flick.

3. Johnny Guitar My experience of Western is really Wayne plus post-Wild Bunch.

4. Eight and a half. Fellini.

5. Pickpocket. French cinema is pretty cool.

6. Tokyo Story. Because I should.

7. Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

8. Bicycle thieves. Neorealist.

9. Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

10. Lawrence of Arabia I've probably seen it all in parts, but never sat down and watched it through.

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN
knees of putty , watch 8 1/2. I watched it for the first time last night , didn't really get into it for half an hour or so but really enjoyed it after that.

51st state... yeah won't be blindly accepting recommendations from that person again. It was watchable , but barely.

1) Rainman
2) Persona - Haven't seen any bergman yet
3) Neco z Alenky ( Alice )
4) La Dolce Vita
5) The Piano
6) The Magnificent Ambersons
7) Barry Lyndon
8) Hannah and her Sisters
9) Eraserhead
10) The Wild Bunch

Seen : Thin Red Line (7/10) , Annie Hall (9/10) , Evil Dead (9/10) , Heat (8/10)

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
rangi, go with Barry Lyndon, it's quite good

Dracula was okay. Legosi's performance is really the saving grace. He's just so delightfully creepy. I couldn't really get into it as a whole, but as I said, Legosi made it worthwhile.

1) Dawn of the Dead- not a horror guy, but I'm trying to see all the classics

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Dracula was okay. Legosi's performance is really the saving grace. He's just so delightfully creepy. I couldn't really get into it as a whole, but as I said, Legosi made it worthwhile.

Don't let this deter you from the other Universal films. I think Dracula has aged the worst, by far. The first three Frankenstein movies, The Mummy. and The Invisible Man have much more visual interest and better pacing.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
That's good to hear. I was going to put Frankenstein on my list after Dracula, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I wanted a little distance so it wouldn't taint the other Universal movies for me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dracula was a really literal adaptation of the stageplay and, apparently, Tod Browning was so disappointed that Lon Chaney couldn't be the lead (what with him dying and all) that his heart just wasn't in it at all. The Frankenstein movies are really oddball witty labors of love. And The Invisible Man is just loving priceless.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The American Friend was very stylish and beautiful, but a little aimless and slow. A unique, cool effort from Wenders, though. Ganz and Hopper are great as usual, but my boy Nick Ray steals the show.

Mistletoe Donkey, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon because if I don't, who will?

New List:

Battleground This is apparently peerleesly realistic for the era.

Two-Lane Blacktop This is supposed to be like a drive-in classic, right? I like those.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

Yesterday Girl Kluge is my biggest gap in the German New Wave.

NEW ONE: The Fallen Idol What the hell is this thing about?

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

The Endless Summer This oughta keep me warm this winter.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 30, 2010

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
penismightier, you get Endless Summer. I haven't seen it myself, but a buddy of mine considered it one of his "endorphin movies" (my term, not his).

I just finished Forbidden Planet and I loved it. I was really impressed with Pidgeon's performance as a proto-Kirk, plus Robby the Robot's awesome and the matte paintings look gorgeous. I can't believe how well the film's aged; it's still entertaining today. It slows down around the middle and the ring modulator score is kind of intrusive at times, but it's still a great flick. The only regret I have is that I bought it on DVD today and then found the Blu-Ray online—new, no less—cheaper.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: I've heard it's awesome; it sounds pretty out-there and kinda fun.
Au Revoir Les Enfants: I've heard a lot of good things about this movie, but I don't know much about it except the basic plot.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Kagemusha: Kurosawa wins my heart more with every film. I've seen 8, which for his filmography is just getting started.
L'Avventura: I hated Blow-Up, but Antonioni deserves another chance.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Rain Man: I've watched many, many, many 80s movies, but this is apparently one of the classics of the era that I missed.
Tremors: I've heard this is the one of the best comedy-horror films ever made. I know less about it than the Sliders episode that plagiarized it.
Vertigo: Even though I've at least liked (and usually loved) every Hitchcock film I've seen, I'm pretty far behind on his work.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 30, 2010

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
CloseFriend - Go with Au revoir les enfants. It's probably my favorite Malle, but I still have a few I need to watch.

I watched Scarlet Street over a week ago, but I just didn't get around to posting here until now. Good movie, better than the other Lang with Robinson, Bennett and Duryea (The Woman in the Window), but they both kind of fell apart at the end. The real problem with the endings seems to be the fact that the Hayes code never let anyone get away with anything. I really liked the art subplot to this. Didn't care for the complete shift in Bennett's character in the last act, though.

Updated list:
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.

Band of Outsiders - Some more Godard here. This is one that's interested me for a while.

I vitelloni - Probably the biggest Fellini that I haven't seen, so I might as well throw this in here.

Lilja 4-ever - as far as I understand this is supposed to be kind of depressing. I've seen a couple of Moodysson's other movies and liked (or loved) them.

Andrei Rublev - Getting some more Tarkovsky in here.

L'Atalante - This is pretty well regarded, although I've seen some rather mixed opinions about it in this thread. Still, seems worth checking out.

Seen - Breathless, Pink Flamingos, Do the Right Thing, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Downfall, Fitzcarraldo, Z, Spartacus, The Elephant Man, Scenes from a Marriage, Audition, Three Colors Trilogy, Stalker, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, El Topo, Belle de jour, The Piano Teacher, Apocalypse Now, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Babel, Shoot the Piano Player, La dolce vita, The Birth of a Nation, Man with a Movie Camera, L'age d'or, The Rules of the Game, Stroszek, Rosemary's Baby, Through a Glass Darkly, Bride of Frankenstein, The Thin Blue Line, Even Dwarfs Started Small, The Godfather, The Idiots, The Godfather Part II, Vivre sa vie, Stray Dog, The Haunting, Glengarry Glen Ross, Destiny, Scarlet Street

Also, I've rearranged my list so that it's now in the order I've added the movies.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
dotCommunism, you're stuck with Intolerance because I only just watched Birth of a Nation recently, and I'm just as interested for Griffith's potential redemption.

From Gerber, it's Baby's First List!
One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest Like a lot of these are going to be, it’s a case of ‘I haven’t gotten around to it’. I like me some Nicholson, so why not?

Any Hitchcock. Any at all I think I watched Rear Window once, but other than that I’ve never actually watched one of his movies.

Seven Samurai I watched The Magnificent Seven recently, and so I’d like to get in on this as well.

Rashomon Another Kurosawa, ‘cause I need to culture my uncouth self.

Akira I like post-apocalyptic stuff, and I feel like I should watch some good anime for once in my life.

Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick Been meaning to get around to these. Watched a bit of one of them on a friend’s laptop, and I’d really like to see the rest.

Heat The only heist movies I’ve ever watched are Inside Man and the Ocean’s series, so I’m interested in some variety.

Eraserhead Because mindfucks never go out of style.

28 Days/Weeks Later Just got a two-pack of these, so I’ll probably get ‘em done on my own time, but hey, might as well fill out the list.

The Usual Suspects I have honestly never finished watching this. I know the twist because goddamn internet, but I still feel like I need to finish it off, just for my own satisfaction and because what I already watched was quite awesome.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Just for the hell of it, I'll go with Akira for you, RandallODim. Good luck.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was pretty much everything I expected it to be. John Ford is, well he's John Ford. I don't necessarily find his work as compelling as some other directors, but he is very good and very consistent. The entire cast was incredible, and I thought the writing was just as solid. This might also be the first time I actually liked John Wayne.

New List:

To Be or Not to Be I can see why this got a less than warm response when it first came out.

Viridiana I don't know anything about this, but the story sounds very intriguing.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

edit: forgot to add Liberty Valance to my watched list.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

tokillthesunflower posted:

I watched the Italian dub. This is a movie that should be seen on like a 70" screen. Hopefully you have one heh.

Princess Mononoke - The most interesting characters were those of the animal gods (deer, boar, wolf etc.) Probably would've scared me as a kid.

Also watched Slumdog Millionaire. It kept my attention and was structured in an interesting way. It was nice to see a full episode of "who wants to be a millionaire" without it being cutoff at an inopportune time at the end of a half-hour block.

IMDb List:

#20 Toy Story 3 The final frontier. This is now on DVD and is the only one I haven't seen in the top 50. I saw the first two in theaters and liked both of them. I also recall watching the first one again in high school on a big screen in a computer art class. There were a lot of naysayers saying "not this stupid kids movie" but by the end everyone was into it.

#73 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#78 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#89 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once.

#96 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#106 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie?

#118 No Country for Old Men - Sounds like a good title for an ageist anti-medicaid/medicare/social security documentary. But I don't think that's what this is about.

#120 Touch of Evil - Saw a little of it on TV once. Can't remember much.

new #124 The General - Many place this atop their all-time movie lists. I've seen very few from this time period.

new #126 High Noon - I've heard it was influential but that's all.

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

8 1/2 will get better on repeat viewings I'm sure, but i still enjoyed the hell out of it. I didn't really find it so much a film about writer's block, but about someone that feels trapped by life and everyone around them and doesn't know how to deal with it. It was a beautiful film.

Yea, that was my exact reaction too. I just wanted everyone to leave the guy alone.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
^^ Watch No Country, man. Definitely. I'm new. My list:

1. Citizen Kane - I already knew the ending, so eh. It's supposed to be really long.
2. Friz Lang's Metropolis - A friend showed me the anime, I looked into this, but never watched it.
3. Schindler's List - I was high in high school and slept through it. Meh.
4. 12 Angry Men - Same deal.
5. Casablanca - Mom tried to get me to watch it. Never did.
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Dad tried to get me to watch it with him. Didn't.
7. Any Evil Dead - I loved Bruce Campbell in The Adventures of Brisco County Junior, but for some reason have gone my entire life without seeing him in anything else. Besides Bubba Ho-Tep.
8. Dr Strangelove - Heard good things.
9. Heat - Like DeNiro. Just idk. Never sought it out.
10. The Wrestler - Like Pi, Requiem, and Black Swan. Idk. Didn't really appeal to me.

Keep in mind I haven't watched most of the imdb top 250, but these are just some of the ones that jumped out at me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

1. Citizen Kane - I already knew the ending, so eh. It's supposed to be really long.

It's like an hour 45.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
A Ill Breakfast, you have to start with Raiders of the Lost Ark

She Wore A Yellow Ribbon was pure John Wayne goodness. I had a lot of fun with it. I haven't seen a whole lot of Wayne, but so far this is my favorite role of his. Not my favorite movie (Stagecoach), but I enjoyed it immensely.

1) Dawn of the Dead- not a horror guy, but I'm trying to see all the classics
10) Shane- this is another stop on my way to the Searchers, hope I like it as much as penismightier does

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
Mistletoe Donkey - I want to tell you to watch Fitzcarraldo because it's my favorite Herzog/Kinski movie, but if it is going to be your first Herzog movie then I don't think that it would be the best choice. So I will tell you to watch Solaris. Not the George Clooney one.

Here is my list:

1. The Godfather - I've simply never gotten around to watching it. The entire trilogy on dvd even exists in my house somewhere, it's in here right now, but I never pick it up and watch it.
2. The Godfather, part 2 - same thing as above.
3. The Matrix - I actually am interested in this and would like to watch this eventually but I always have other things I'd rather watch instead. I think that Keanu Reeves is a babe.
4. Amelie - I feel like I should watch this and sometimes I think about it but then I look at the dvd cover and at Amelie doing the horrible closed-mouth cutesy Amelie smile and I just feel like I would hate this. I usually have a good sense of what I will and will not like.
5. The Departed - I didn't see it when it came out and it doesn't matter enough to me to have gotten it on dvd to watch at home. I have seen Infernal Affairs, however.
6. Abel Gance's Napoleon - the deepest shame on my list. Trying to track it down has been too much effort for me.
7. Fargo - I sense that I wouldn't like this either but people always seemed shocked when I say I haven't seen it.
8. Into the Wild - my friend would always talk about this movie/book and I haven't read the book or seen the movie.
9. Twelve Monkeys - this is another one that people think I am weird for not having seen. I guess it seems ok. I would feel okay about watching it.
10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - I was interested in seeing this but missed seeing it in a theater and I sat down to watch it with a boyfriend once but we started having a fight like five minutes into it and didn't watch it.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I think I'm going to take a reasonable mulligan since it's been half a year since I've posted in this thread. Space Cooter... if you can find a Bluray copy of The Godfather or an HD stream or something, watch that. If you can't, watch Amelie.

I just got Instant and have spent the last few hours rating the poo poo out of everything and trying to catch my Instant account up to my Criticker one. There were a number of movies that kept popping up that I decided to put up here. Some are shameful, some intriguing.

Valhalla Rising - I really haven't heard anything about this. I saw a comparison to Antichrist somewhere.
Mongol - I wrote this off years ago, but apparently it's pretty good.
A Prophet - I don't think I've heard a harsh word about this, but I've really never had mood and opportunity coincide to make me watch this (I spent a year without watching my Criterion of Seven Samurai because I didn't want to gently caress up my first impression)
Ken Burns's The War - I got like halfway through the first episode but had to stop. It didn't put me to sleep, but I was still way too tired to watch a two hour talking head documentary.
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Daniel Day Lewis is in this. It's about adultery or something. That's all I know.
Chop Shop - I've been getting really into documentaries lately.
Food Inc
Time Bandits - The list of Terry Gilliam movies I've seen is embarrassingly short.
Frontline's Behind Taliban Lines
Exit Through the Gift Shop

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Chop Shop - I've been getting really into documentaries lately.

This isn't a documentary, but it is very good. Not as good as Bahrani's other two movies, both also on Instant.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Wolfgang Pauli watch Exit Through The Gift Shop, it's the best documentary of 2010 and totally not what you're expecting.

Paris, Texas was beautiful in every way. The two and a half hours just zoomed by and when Hunter walks up to his mom and hugs her at the end I actually let out a verbal "Awwww", what a great movie.

1. Cries and Whispers - This will be my first color Bergman. I pretty much know I will love this as I'm a huge fan and I loved Persona, which I hear this is most similar to.

2. The Last of The Mohicans - I need to see more Michael Mann, I recently saw Manhunter and loved it, and you can't go wrong with Mr. Day-Lewis.

3. The Face of Another - Teshigahara is amazing, it's too bad he didn't make more movies. Pitfall was really interesting and Woman In The Dunes blew me away. Time to finish up his "trilogy".

4. Shadow of A Doubt - I'm still kind of a Hitchcock newbie, and I hear this was his personal favorite of his films.

5. The Elephant Man - This is one of the 3 Lynch films I haven't seen, the other 2 being Dune and The Straight Story. I guess I'm just scared of what a non-Lynchian Lynch is like.

6. Touch of Evil - Orson loving Welles.

7. The New World - Terence Malick is a cinematic genius. This is the only one of his 4 films that I have not seen. Feel like it's time now that The Tree of Life is finally coming out.

8. The Rules of The Game - Apparently one of the best films of all time. Also this will be my first Renoir.

9. Wings of Desire - Time for another Wenders. Can this live up to the greatness of Paris, Texas?

10. White - Second film in Kiezlowksi's Three Colors Trilogy. Blue was incredible and I loved The Double Life of Veronique so I'm excited for this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

HP Hovercraft posted:

Lots of great stuff on your list, but I'll go with this. It's almost as good as Woman in the Dunes.

Okay, I'm finally jumping back in. I've thought a lot about how to construct my list of shame. I decided to go with the movies that appear on the most checklists at ICheckMovies.com. This will probably be a mistake, as they're generally titles I'm not very interested in, but I feel it'll be a nice "challenge" and fill in some big pop culture gaps.

1. Braveheart - It's on 17 lists, it's got to be good, right? I can't imagine myself liking this.

2. The Lion King - Not a Disney fan.

3. Beauty and the Beast - See #2. But the Cocteau film is a favorite, so maybe?

4. The Bourne Ultimatum - I'll watch the second film too, maybe even revisit the first one.

5. Toy Story 3 - Probably would have watched this eventually anyway.

6. The Prestige - I know it's got some kind of twist and I think it has to do with twins.

7. Life is Beautiful - I have such a bad feeling about this.

8. The Green Mile - As I said when I constructed my first list way back, I think I might like it.

9. Into the Wild - I know nothing about this.

10. Aladdin - gently caress me, there's a lot of Disney.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
FFD, I was considering Lion King, but instead I want you to watch Into the Wild. Approach it in the same way that you would approach Grizzly Man.

Exit Through the Gift Shop was fantastic and, like you said, totally not what I was expecting. I think Banksy's dealer summarizes the entire film pretty well with "I don't know who the joke's on. I don't even know if it is a joke." I can't really tell if it's a hoax or not, and I don't think it really matters.

What I said on Criticker about it: It may be a hoax, but does it really matter? This film is so deeply wrapped in meta-authenticity and critique of the business that drives postmodern art that it hardly matters whether MBW is real, a hoax, or if the hoax itself is a hoax.

I watched the Frontline doc on the side, so I'm striking that from the list.

Valhalla Rising - I really haven't heard anything about this. I saw a comparison to Antichrist somewhere.
A Prophet - I don't think I've heard a harsh word about this, but I've really never had mood and opportunity coincide to make me watch this (I spent a year without watching my Criterion of Seven Samurai because I didn't want to gently caress up my first impression)
Ken Burns's The War - I got like halfway through the first episode but had to stop. It didn't put me to sleep, but I was still way too tired to watch a two hour talking head documentary.
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Daniel Day Lewis is in this. It's about adultery or something. That's all I know.
Chop Shop
Food Inc - I've been getting really into documentaries lately.
Time Bandits - The list of Terry Gilliam movies I've seen is embarrassingly short.
Man on Wire
The Thin Blue Line

This is all the poo poo I've watched so far: The Godfather Part II, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, M, The City of Lost Children, Lonesome Dove, Die Hard, Predator, True Lies, Exit Through the Gift Shop

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 2, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Endless Summer is a charmer. Slight and silly, but in the absolute best way. Makes me long for warm weather. As casual and sweet and goofy as the surf-rock soundtrack behind it all. "Almost one American dollar for a gallon of gas!"

Wolfgang Pauli, why don't you give Man on Wire a try?

New List:

Battleground This is apparently peerleesly realistic for the era.

Two-Lane Blacktop This is supposed to be like a drive-in classic, right? I like those.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

The Fallen Idol What the hell is this thing about?

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

NEW ONE: Chimes at Midnight I know, I know. I started it once and never finished it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10)

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

penismightier posted:

penismightier, I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not familiar with any of those listed. I read around and Yesterday Girl was the most interesting, so that's what I choose for you. I look forward to your recommendation on it!

Eight and a half. On the face of it a man struggles with his relationship. Well, he also seems to struggle with his identity, being honest, being a director, and has many dreams where he remembers his past. Well, more strictly, he conflates now and then, mixing up reality and fantasy, as if well, he was making a film! I did enjoy this very much.

1. Singing in the Rain Urgh, musicals are just not my thing, but maybe now's the time.

2. King Kong The original monster flick.

3. Johnny Guitar My experience of Western is really Wayne plus post-Wild Bunch.

4. La Dolce Vita. More Fellini.

5. Pickpocket. French cinema is pretty cool.

6. Tokyo Story. Because I should.

7. Cry of the City. Recommended Noir.

8. Bicycle thieves. Neorealist.

9. Peeping Tom. Apparently it’s informed British cinema since.

10. Lawrence of Arabia I've probably seen it all in parts, but never sat down and watched it through.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

knees of putty, you get Bicycle Thieves.

City of God... well, I enjoyed it. I have a lot of prejudice against voice-over--for better or worse, I feel like it detracts from any movie (with certain exceptions). Regardless, I was somewhat taken with the film. The story is interesting in that it includes all of these different types of characters and situations and stories, but at it's center it's about a single character, Rocket. I like the way it's structured with several different "stories" to tell, and I can see how the voice-over is at least somewhat necessary because of this. All in all, the film really shines in it's visual presentation; the cinematography was stunning and gorgeous despite the usually contemptible acts being filmed, and I was surprised in the incredible sense of color that came through. All in all, it was solid. 4/5

I'm also editing my list slightly, just in terms of adding to number 5 (I figured people would be more inclined to pick other Godard films than Masculin, féminin, hope it's well within the rules)...

1. Requiem for a Dream - I need to see more of the recent "classics"

2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Should really get to this eventually

3. Spartacus - One of the last Kubrick films I haven't seen

4. Last Year at Marienbad - Might as well get another Resnais out there; this one I've wanted to see for a while, seems like something I'd love and I was upset when I missed it on Netflix Instant

5. Masculin, féminin / Contempt / Le Petit Soldat - Love Godard, these is are a (somewhat) random three that I haven't seen

6. sex, lies, and videotape - Probably an important film to watch

7. Brazil - The only Terry Gilliam I've seen is Fear and Loathing and 12 Monkeys; I usually love surrealist films, and that's partially what this is... right? gently caress, I don't know

8. Notorious - I'm definitely a Hitchcock fan/I'm definitely a Cary Grant fan

9. Sunset Boulevard *NEW* - Relatively inexperienced in Billy Wilder; so ashamed!

10. Easy Rider - Really should have seen this by now

Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5; Touch of Evil - 5/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 3.5/5; Almost Famous - 4.5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Just finished Man on Wire. It felt very similar to My Dinner with Andre, which I guess the director also felt since he used the same music. The relationship between Phillipe and Jean-Louis is the same sort of dialectical construction of something great. The memoir nature reinforced that, and I think that sentimental presentation removed some of the discussion about art. It's all very mystical and spiritual throughout the film, but I guess that's the way the people involved meant this to be treated. It's a reflection of how surprisingly serene the walk itself was.

Chubby, watch Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Chop Shop
Food Inc - I've been getting really into documentaries lately.
Beautiful Losers
The Thin Blue Line

This is all the poo poo I've watched so far: The Godfather Part II, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, M, The City of Lost Children, Lonesome Dove, Die Hard, Predator, True Lies, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Man on Wire

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Just finished Man on Wire. It felt very similar to My Dinner with Andre, which I guess the director also felt since he used the same music.

From what I recall, Man on Wire stole almost all of its music from the Michael Nyman scores for various Peter Greenaway films. The only music I can recall from My Dinner With Andre is Satie's "Gymnopedie", which appears in a lot of movies.