Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Jones just be chillin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Scary-bendy Coyote is the best Coyote.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

For some reason, Annie looks older in this page. Not sure why, the last few pages she looks the same, but I didn't notice.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Haha. Don't keep underestimating Coyote, people.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
As if Coyote would let you know when he genuinely ignored something.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Congratulations to the people that called that one. (I sure didn't.)

Although of course we all knew why Rey was hanging around. I wonder if the Court adults noticed that too.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I'm loving the way that the background (trees, etc.) is morphing and twisting around Coyote.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This will not be good for Ysengrin's mental health.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
I suppose I'm the only one here who is disappointed, to see Coyote once again claiming to have known everything yet have done nothing about it. Since he's been introduced Coyote has done anything that justifies his reputation as this big scary deity that the Court is so worried about. For a trickster god he sure is boring.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Psych posted:

I suppose I'm the only one here who is disappointed, to see Coyote once again claiming to have known everything yet have done nothing about it. Since he's been introduced Coyote has done anything that justifies his reputation as this big scary deity that the Court is so worried about. For a trickster god he sure is boring.

He's invested in interesting outcomes, and apparently he's a nuanced enough soul to think interpersonal and diplomatic conflicts count instead of biting the heads off babies or ramping off buildings or whatever else it is that you think would make Coyote less "boring."

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

Psych posted:

Uh.

Do you know what a trickster god is? They're supposed to be shortsighted, vain, boastful, impatient and bright in short bursts at the exactly wrong time. They aren't -- Br'r Rabbit and thus possibly Anansi being somewhat of an exception -- supposed to be anything but a laughing stock.

A trickster god is a creator god's opposite -- they tend to have the same sort of powers but they're just ... not even bad at using them or stupid per se but terrible at everything due to shortsightedness.

So you know. He's not a big scary deity. He's a chump bomb that could go off at any moment due to his own half-baked ~*nefarious plans*~.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

It's probably supposed to be Thematic that Coyote's not as much of a threat as the Court thinks he is.

Although, granted, he is powerful enough to wipe the Court off the earth, it's just that if he does he doesn't get to laugh at them anymore.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

He'd probably seriously gently caress it up or set himself up for future spectacular failure, because that's how trickster god stories go, usually.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sulevis posted:

He'd probably seriously gently caress it up or set himself up for future spectacular failure, because that's how trickster god stories go, usually.

Um, how many Coyote stories have you read?

I think Coyote is very much the threat the Court thinks he is. But we'll have to wait and see to find out!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Interesting how many of the comments on the page think this is a creepy or 'shipper kind of thing.

Renard is inappropriate now and again, but it seems pretty clear that his behavior is more of a protective love towards a child.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Fangz posted:

Um, how many Coyote stories have you read?

I think Coyote is very much the threat the Court thinks he is. But we'll have to wait and see to find out!

I read one where he tries to stay up all night to be the first of all the animals to receive special gifts from a creator-deity - and ends up falling asleep and ending up the absolute last.

I read one where Coyote gave a blanket to a rock because the rock was bare and he was feeling generous - but he got cold and took the blanket back. Then the rock chased him and smashed him flat, because a gift once given isn't something you're allowed to take away.

I read one where he wanted to make his children as pretty as baby deer - so after the Doe lied and told him that she makes the spots by burning them, Coyote set his own children on fire.

I read one where Coyote tricked Porcupine out of some elk meat - and then Porcupine tricked Coyote right back and murdered him and his entire family. Porcupine is kind of a jerk in that one. He and Coyote have a sort of back-and-forth going on in several stories, where they're both tricksters out to trick each-other - but Porcupine generally gets the last laugh.

I never read the one where Coyote tried to have sex with Porcupine Woman and got a dick full of quills (Native-American stories can get really... uh, graphic with that stuff) - but I'll take Neil Gaiman's word for it and assume that story also exists.

I also read plenty of heroic stories where he comes out on top at the end, but Coyote can definitely be too clever for his own good. So, me, I'm onboard with the "Coyote will get what's coming to him one day" theory. I think it's going to come from the Wolf-tree he thinks he has firmly under his paw, though - and not from the Court.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

Sulevis posted:

So you know. He's not a big scary deity. He's a chump bomb that could go off at any moment due to his own half-baked ~*nefarious plans*~.

It should be mentioned at this point that in some native cultures, Coyote isn't a trickster god. He's God. The Creator, the big cheese. Not for fakesies, not by mistake, but he's actual the force that set everything into motion. He's also sometimes a cultural hero as they call them, who is less 'animal' and more 'dude that does cool poo poo for the people'. And even when he's a trickster, sometimes he's a prick. Not an incompetent prick either, a really competent prick that is super good at making people miserable.

Of course sometimes he's just a minor spirit that pranks folks too, or has to do scut work.

In general though, probably shouldn't gently caress with coyote.

quote:

Interesting how many of the comments on the page think this is a creepy or 'shipper kind of thing.

They look back at the story where Jones set up Andrew and Parley with their nice little matching flowers....said story ending with Renard and Annie side by side with matching flowers. And their little shipper hearts went "Squeee!".

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Bonster posted:

At least they've finally stopped passing around the "Renard is Annie's real father" bullshit? Though I'm not sure if this is better or worse.

I really like that something has finally made Ysengrin realize Coyote is a dick. Ysengrin's major characteristic has been his unending loyalty toward Coyote, so the fact that he's outraged by this is pretty awesome. Annie, however, is having the absolute worst day ever, jesus christ.

Also I agree with Staggy that the trees warping themselves around Coyote is an awesome touch.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

dumb brunette posted:

At least they've finally stopped passing around the "Renard is Annie's real father" bullshit? Though I'm not sure if this is better or worse.

I really like that something has finally made Ysengrin realize Coyote is a dick. Ysengrin's major characteristic has been his unending loyalty toward Coyote, so the fact that he's outraged by this is pretty awesome. Annie, however, is having the absolute worst day ever, jesus christ.

Also I agree with Staggy that the trees warping themselves around Coyote is an awesome touch.

Yeah, today's page is making me think we should have been worried about Ysengrin's reaction the whole time.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

dumb brunette posted:

I agree to an extent, but during the encounter in which Annie sees him without his wooden suit he comments that he knows Coyote tricked her into it, and that it wasn't her fault. So he is loyal, but he's not blind. He's loyal despite knowing Coyote's a dick. It does seem that this is the first Ysengrin has heard of Renard being tricked and captured - it would have been much different circumstances than thinking Renard simply turned tail one day and defected to the Court. A straight-up defection would be a definite betrayal, but knowing Renard was betrayed and still just leaving him is quite another.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Wong Dongson posted:

It should be mentioned at this point that in some native cultures, Coyote isn't a trickster god. He's God. The Creator, the big cheese. Not for fakesies, not by mistake, but he's actual the force that set everything into motion. He's also sometimes a cultural hero as they call them, who is less 'animal' and more 'dude that does cool poo poo for the people'. And even when he's a trickster, sometimes he's a prick. Not an incompetent prick either, a really competent prick that is super good at making people miserable.

Of course sometimes he's just a minor spirit that pranks folks too, or has to do scut work.

Yeah, okay, that's true. There are a billion Coyote stories, so.

Though from the way Coyote's been presented in the comic and the stories we've been told (him loving up making his own people and him stealing the moon to spy on people, only to be kicked out for being a dick), it seems we're going with Trickster Coyote and not Great Creator Coyote.

Also, this counts as a reply to Fangz too. Tom is the writer. Tom decides which Coyote to present. It seems we're getting the trickster version.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
There is a story where coyote sees a beautiful woman across a lake, so he does the logical thing and detaches his penis then throws it over so it can seduce her.

tl;dr coyote is a Rad Dude.

Edit: Seriously, how loving awesome is that. "Oh hey, instead of actually crossing the lake, I'll just throw over the relevant bit and get on with my day."

I mean it gets stolen later on but still.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sulevis posted:

Though from the way Coyote's been presented in the comic and the stories we've been told (him loving up making his own people and him stealing the moon to spy on people, only to be kicked out for being a dick), it seems we're going with Trickster Coyote and not Great Creator Coyote.

All those stories are told by himself as a self-introduction to Antimony. They are meaningful, as the image Coyote wishes to present for himself. They may well be true stories, but whether they accurately describe him at all times is quite a different question.

Towards Antimony, he certainly makes an effort to appear an old ridiculous fool. But we have little idea of how he appears before other people, we known that he has a 'great secret' which makes Ysengrin angry to even mention, and we know lots of other people are deeply suspicious of him and have in the past resorted to extreme measures to protect themselves from him. It seems rather bold to categorise Coyote as just one of the many aspects of mythological Coyote, knowing all this.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 30, 2010

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Looks like we are going to find out what the deal is with Annie and her mother. It also seems like the court is going to come off looking pretty bad to Annie, what with Jones at least apparently knowing all about it and not telling her.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Annie is a robot.

EDIT or a golem

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Annie is a phoenix.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Anthony Carver is the knife Coyote gave Antimony. He and Surma Stibnite form a matching flint and steel set.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Poor Annie's having a really rough day. She's going to BSoD soon if people keep dropping bombs on her! :ohdear:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Brownie posted:

Annie is a robot.

ChibiSoma posted:

She's going to BSoD

Jones Annie is not a robot.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Grashnak posted:

Looks like we are going to find out what the deal is with Annie and her mother. It also seems like the court is going to come off looking pretty bad to Annie, what with Jones at least apparently knowing all about it and not telling her.

To be fair they could have been waiting until she was older or something before telling her.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Sulevis posted:

Also, this counts as a reply to Fangz too. Tom is the writer. Tom decides which Coyote to present. It seems we're getting the trickster version.

stop insisting it's a binary choice.

It seems pretty loving clear that Annie regards him as powerful and "terrifying" no matter how much of a fuckup he is.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Annie seems to regard him as being powerful and knowledgeable, but I don't think she's scared of him at all.

If she were scared of him, she would not have run to him for comfort and information, after all.

I just don't buy some people's insistence that Coyote is the Joker.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Maybe she is superhuman. I would buy that.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

Annie is a phoenix.

*Cue Kat fans squeeing like imbeciles*

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Look at that. Look at that poo poo-stirring grin.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Holy smokes! She's a TOON!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mirage posted:

Holy smokes! She's a TOON!

Surprised?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005