Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Is there someplace I can find a timeline of events with approximate dates and/or durations of events? I'm interested in how long certain events supposedly take to unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scr0llwheel posted:

Is there someplace I can find a timeline of events with approximate dates and/or durations of events? I'm interested in how long certain events supposedly take to unfold.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Years_after_Aegon%27s_Landing

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

What's the site that discusses theories but has a drop down bar on top that let's you pick what book you're up to so you don't accidentally spoil yourself? I saw it in the TVIV thread a while ago but I can't find it anymore

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006
The master of all things GRRM!

"His manhood glistened wetly..."

Ungratek posted:

What's the site that discusses theories but has a drop down bar on top that let's you pick what book you're up to so you don't accidentally spoil yourself? I saw it in the TVIV thread a while ago but I can't find it anymore

https://www.towerofthehand.com

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MAJOR spoilers regarding Storm of Swords

I just got to the part where Robb, Catelyn, and Arya all die. I'm so mad and upset right now. I was really invested in their stories, Arya's especially. gently caress this just came out of nowhere.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

blue squares posted:

MAJOR spoilers regarding Storm of Swords

I just got to the part where Robb, Catelyn, and Arya all die. I'm so mad and upset right now. I was really invested in their stories, Arya's especially. gently caress this just came out of nowhere.

This post warms my heart because of what you'll be posting after you keep reading.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

IRQ posted:

This post warms my heart because of what you'll be posting after you keep reading.

Heh, yeah, (re: above 2 posts) That Catelyn POV I had to re-read, while that Arya POV made me throw the book. Hook, line, and sinker.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I actually didn't interpret the second one there the way most people apparently do.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Heh, yeah, (re: above 2 posts) That Catelyn POV I had to re-read, while that Arya POV made me throw the book. Hook, line, and sinker.

Whew! At least Arya lived and I don't have to deal with Joffrey anymore.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
And you're one step closer to meeting the coolest knight! Sir Pounce!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Haraksha posted:

And you're one step closer to meeting the coolest knight! Sir Pounce!

Read this twice and I don't get it :saddowns:

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

IRQ posted:

I actually didn't interpret the second one there the way most people apparently do.

Me neither actually, I'm surprised so many people figured that's what happened.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

Rootbeer Baron posted:

Me neither actually, I'm surprised so many people figured that's what happened.

Surprised? "His axe took her in the back of the head." That was intended misdirection.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Lawnie posted:

Read this twice and I don't get it :saddowns:

Maybe I got the name wrong? Tommen's kitty!

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

Haraksha posted:

Maybe I got the name wrong? Tommen's kitty!

No, you got it right. He caught a mouse!

...but Lady Whiskers took it. :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Surprised? "His axe took her in the back of the head." That was intended misdirection.

It was just really obvious misdirection I guess. Is that the actual quote? Because I remember being pretty drat sure he hit her with the flat of the axe to knock her out.

It's been too long since I read that part, but for whatever reason I definitely didn't think she had died.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just finished Storm of Swords. What an awesome ending!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If you liked how Storm ends, then you'll love how Feast does.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

IRQ posted:

It was just really obvious misdirection I guess. Is that the actual quote? Because I remember being pretty drat sure he hit her with the flat of the axe to knock her out.

It's been too long since I read that part, but for whatever reason I definitely didn't think she had died.

I didn't come to this conclusion, either. I think it may have been something I didn't really think of, but gurm doesn't really kill characters in their own chapters, it's always third person perspective when someone dies

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Yeah I read books. posted:

I didn't come to this conclusion, either. I think it may have been something I didn't really think of, but gurm doesn't really kill characters in their own chapters, it's always third person perspective when someone dies

Catelyn begs to disagree. She was resurrected later, but we still got to see her die in first-person.

I thought that Arya died in that chapter just because it happened so soon after that, characters weren't safe in their own PoV-chapters anymore!

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

The exception that proves this rule being the previous chapter with the Catelyn POV ending with her getting unplanned plastic surgery

e: drat you Kainser. I hope you get the pox.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Both of you are right, of course, which leaves me to believe I didn't come to the same conclusion because Catelyn's plot had run its course. The only reason she was around was to show us what was going on with Robb. Arya hah been set up for TONS of other plot threads at that point, there was really no way she could have been killed. I guess. I just kept going back to the coin she got at Harrenhal and what a cool plot device it was and how it couldn't get thrown away like that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I cheated a bit and looked at the table of contents of Feast of Crows
No Tyrion! I mean, I know that he is basically exiled, but I'd still like to hear from him at least a bit. Maybe he will show up in the next book.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

blue squares posted:

I cheated a bit and looked at the table of contents of Feast of Crows
No Tyrion! I mean, I know that he is basically exiled, but I'd still like to hear from him at least a bit. Maybe he will show up in the next book.

There's a single chapter of his the GRRM released as an ADWD preview. It makes sense not to read it until after Feast but I don't think it spoils anything.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

In the history of Westeros, it seems that the world has never advanced. They've been living in the same castles using the same weapons and technology for hundreds or thousands of years. Where's the innovation?

Also, Storm of Swords spoilers
I was hoping that Jon would remain with the wildlings. I like their culture and the way they don't let "highborn" walk all over everyone. Sometimes the servitude of the common people annoys me

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I certainly don't know, but in my reading I got the impression that.

A) Magic is a powerful mitigating factor in both suppressing technological advances and has been the root of massive population culls due to misuse. Westeros as we see it is basically a few short hundred years out of the last great age of magic, with another great age of magic on the way, and is in a clear dark age where few--if any--can read/write, and a very small percentage of the population is doing anything like studying or innovating.

B) Every designated ruler is shown as either a Genghis Khan, a "lawful neutral" leader, or George W. Bush with few shades in-between (and those shades are often the character alternating between the three major states) with an effectiveness coefficient. Stannis, Jon, and Ned are the middle. Dany oscillates depending on where she is. Khal Drogo and Tywin, and what precious little we see of Oldtown are bloody obviously in the mold of traditional military men. And Robert, Renly, and even Robb are basically W. Bush in terms of true vision, passion, and skill.

Even with the occasional dude somehow inventing printable, movable type I imagine the rulers and ruling class would either eradicate that poo poo because they'd see it as irrelevant (Khal Drogo), turn it into part of the mystical magical traditions we know so little about (Oldtown), or willfully suppress it because it's too much power to the common folk (Tywin).

C)For real technological advance to take root it needs to be shown a clear and practical application to the people holding industrial power; and it has to not stop on those in power's toes, augment their powers, or be so cheap and useful it changes the tides of power on sheer force of practicality.

There's evidence the Roman's actually figured out a working steam engine way back in the day but couldn't think of a practical use for it and it was forgotten within a generation, so we went 2000 years filled with imperial bullshit.

Even with the Islamic world working a double-shift after Rome "as it was" fell, it still took us well over 1000 years to get to movable type because rat bastards with political aspirations thought nothing of destroying generations worth of work to further their own goals every single hour of every single day of every single year over the thousands of years between the invention of agriculture to the realization of complex industrial machinery.

Now imagine a world similar to ours after Rome fell, but with ancient mage cults tripping on blue Kool-Aid, tiny Forest people in tune with nature, Winter-themed Nagzul zombies, giants, mother-loving dragons, fire gods, Wargs, giant version of animals and all the poo poo that's just rumored to be out there (sea monsters, giants)?

All of those things loving with people or being used by people who don't give a second thought about nailing a potential Archimedes to a wall and painting a dick with his blood if his lord says to completely destroy a rival lord's town?

Yeah, I imagine the world wouldn't be advancing too quickly either.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for that really detailed post, some good points. Here's another couple random questions that I wasn't totally sure on.

The difference between the wights and the Others. As far as I could tell the wights are just mindless zombies and the Others are more like demons. Do the Others create the wights?

Also, I got totally lost at the end with Samwell and Bran. Samwell seemed totally unsurprised to see Bran & Co. I didn't really get what was happening there, and who the gently caress is Coldhands? Some guy who rides a giant elk.

Last, what is with all the focus on eunuchs? It just seems strange to me that it is such a prevalent thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

blue squares posted:

In the history of Westeros, it seems that the world has never advanced. They've been living in the same castles using the same weapons and technology for hundreds or thousands of years. Where's the innovation?

Also, Storm of Swords spoilers
I was hoping that Jon would remain with the wildlings. I like their culture and the way they don't let "highborn" walk all over everyone. Sometimes the servitude of the common people annoys me

Pure speculation but it wouldn't surprise me even a little if Jon became king of the Wildings but of course that will never happen because the book is never coming out.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

IRQ posted:

Pure speculation but it wouldn't surprise me even a little if Jon became king of the Wildings but of course that will never happen because the book is never coming out.

We are more or less guaranteed to get the next book in one form or another even if GRRM falls over dead tomorrow (which is pretty likely) since presumably his editor has a somewhat up-to-date version of DwD that could be released with the missing chapters left empty or ghost written by Brandon Sanderson or whatever.

No more books after that though! (Except for Wild Cards)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Haha, that'd be awesome.

Video Will:

Hi! I'm George R. R. Martin and I died with my great "masterwork" unfinished. Some of you may be wondering where certain manuscripts might be and I'll show you *waves around a large pile of papers*. This is the only even partially completed manuscript of A Song of Ice and Fire in existence. I deleted the rest from my old Commodore 64 and used a magnet on the hard drive.

*He proceeds to soak the entire manuscript in a thick butter batter, uses his office deep fryer to cook it, covers it in chocolate syrup, and slowly eats it*

Mmmmmm, you can look everywhere *munch* but you won't find another copy. *Wipes his face* This part right here *holds up fork* is where Jon and Tyrion find out the truth about their lineage. *Eats chunk with wide rapacious grin*.

*He finishes the rest is relative silence*

To the world I leave my real masterwork for all to share. Twenty unpublished novels set in my Wild Cards universe. I know all twelve of you have been anxious to find out what happens, and I assure you I won't disappoint. In fact half of the new novels are prequels and epilogue novels that constitute their entirely own series. This will what I'm remembered for. Just you watch.

blue squares posted:

Thanks for that really detailed post, some good points. Here's another couple random questions that I wasn't totally sure on.

The difference between the wights and the Others. As far as I could tell the wights are just mindless zombies and the Others are more like demons. Do the Others create the wights?

Also, I got totally lost at the end with Samwell and Bran. Samwell seemed totally unsurprised to see Bran & Co. I didn't really get what was happening there, and who the gently caress is Coldhands? Some guy who rides a giant elk.

Last, what is with all the focus on eunuchs? It just seems strange to me that it is such a prevalent thing.

1. Basically yes. It's still very nebulous and vague, but from what we can gather the Others are at the very least the direct source of most Wights we see. That's why I called them winter-Nagzul, the Others we see form more of a lieutenant to the Wight's foot soldier.

2.Samwell has no real idea who Bran & Co. really are nor how important they are to things. He's very myopic and awestruck at the sheer scale and weight of events around him are. He's also in the running for the character who has seen the most mystical, mysterious, intriguing poo poo. When he meets them I got the impression that he was simply past the point where he could process what was happening.

"Oh I just survived all this time in the wild and survived an awesome war and my best friend is now the leader of my home and oh look there's a door underneath the Wall and if I have to deal with one more perspective-shattering revelation I think I'll jump out of my own head."

Coldhands is just one of those questions we're never going to have answered. My theory is that he's tied somehow to the Others and possibly the first forest people, but since A Dance with Dragons is never coming out we'll probably never know.

3.My guess is that it's a great signifier of how medieval the world of Westeros really is. Eunuchs were a relatively common thing in Pre-Industrial times because dudes without dicks varied up court life and rulers without modern checks and balances don't hesitate to do hosed-up things like that. By my understanding we really only have 1-2 recordings in existence of actual hand-to-god eunuchs who were deliberately made so and held positions in public society. Having dudes whose junk was purposefully removed just signifies that we are reading about a culture that hasn't discovered how useless such a process really is.

I'm sure George R. R. Martin just likes making some of his most badass characters 'less of a man' than he is too.

quote:

It also seems that Rickon would be the one to grow into a wildling hero.

Logically yes, but this is ASoIaF, where the logical thing rarely happens to any character but Jon and Dany.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 1, 2011

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006

IRQ posted:

In the near term, I imagine wildling culture is going to go through a drastic change, if it survives at all. The "deal" offered by Stannis will have them more or less integrated into Westeros culture, as they are seeking protection/fleeing the others.

Now, further on down the line, I'd imagine they'd go back to their ways. It also seems that Rickon would be the one to grow into a wildling hero.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Now, further on down the line, I'd imagine they'd go back to their ways. It also seems that Rickon would be the one to grow into a wildling hero.

I still have no idea what his significance to the story could possibly be other than to be the heir to Starks.

Tennypumps
Sep 21, 2008
Stayed up far too late finishing SoS last night and I knew Littlefinger was a devious guy but I never would have pegged him for starting the whole conflict leading to the war. Also, I loved the epilogue with Cat, Beric and Co. exacting justice on the Freys. Badass.

This series has consumed my free time and I dread finishing FfC and the ensuing wait for DoD. Thanks a lot GRRM.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Tennypumps posted:

This series has consumed my free time and I dread finishing FfC and the ensuing wait for DoD. Thanks a lot GRRM.
One of us!

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

mind the walrus posted:

Coldhands is just one of those questions we're never going to have answered. My theory is that he's tied somehow to the Others and possibly the first forest people, but since A Dance with Dragons is never coming out we'll probably never know.

There's a lot of people out there claiming that Coldhands is some iteration of Benjen Stark.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

therapy posted:

There's a lot of people out there claiming that Coldhands is some iteration of Benjen Stark.

That's actually the general thought on him, but I disagree with it.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

That's actually the general thought on him, but I disagree with it.

It is kind of too obvious if you think about it.

But that being said, we haven't seen the last of Benjen Stark one way or another.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

blue squares posted:

character spoilerAlso, I got totally lost at the end with Samwell and Bran. Samwell seemed totally unsurprised to see Bran & Co. I didn't really get what was happening there, and who the gently caress is Coldhands? Some guy who rides a giant elk.

All I know is that he'd better turn out to be someone really interesting because that storyline needs like 8 sticks of dynamite to go off in it for it to get moving.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Can someone please explain the Harry the Heir conversation that Littlefinger had with Sansa? I don't know why, but I seriously didn't understand that part at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Can someone please explain the Harry the Heir conversation that Littlefinger had with Sansa? I don't know why, but I seriously didn't understand that part at all.

Harry the Heir is next in line for the Iron Throne if Stannis die and Tommen and Myrcellas incest heritage is belived by the rest of the houses. Hench "the Heir"

therapy posted:

It is kind of too obvious if you think about it.

But that being said, we haven't seen the last of Benjen Stark one way or another.

Yes, we have.

• Locked thread