Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I want dabble in food photography and the only thing I know is there is a lot food photography that I don't know. Does anyone have any good know any good resources for food photography? I'm mostly interested in books but I wouldn't mind checking out some websites and blogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Food photography is like 98% styling, find a food stylist and you are most of the way there.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Can focus change from the center to the edges of a lens? I was trying to take a picture with my manual film camera, /w a split prism. I'd line up the subject with the prism, focus, recompose, and then noticed that there was room for adjustment in the recomposed frame. Returning to the split prism, i see that it's not aligned anymore.

Is this an optical illusion or did recomposing my shot knock the focus out for my subject? I ended up going with my gut and focusing in the recomposed frame, but it's a lot harder without the split prism.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What aperture were you shooting at? It's not unheard of that recomposing could cause loss of focus.

ed: Also what distance were you shooting your subject at?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Martytoof posted:

What aperture were you shooting at? It's not unheard of that recomposing could cause loss of focus.

ed: Also what distance were you shooting your subject at?

28mm 2.8 from roughly 3 feet away.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Mightaswell posted:

28mm 2.8 from roughly 3 feet away.

If you're shooting that close, moving the camera at all will screw the focus up.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

If you're shooting that close, moving the camera at all will screw the focus up.

Pretty much the answer I'm looking for. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I was googling for this page:

http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm

Which is a lot of :words: for exactly what Dr. Cogwerks said :3:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Mightaswell posted:

Pretty much the answer I'm looking for. Thanks!

Weird, my edited part of that post disappeared.
If you're using an interchangeable lens, look at the barrel for scale focus numbers.

At F/22 and a subject at 5 feet, you can expect everything from infinity to 2.5 feet to be in focus - everything between the two "22" marks. At F/2.8, that range shrinks dramatically, it'd be whatever's directly above the red diamond mark. That range also gets narrower as you get closer to the subject. With a distance between the lens and the subject of only a few feet, changing it by a few inches will have a serious impact upon the focus. However, if your subject is far away, like a landscape, a few inches of extra distance probably won't matter at all - the percentage of change is much smaller.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 31, 2010

Grazing Occultation
Aug 18, 2009

by angerbutt
Does anyone have any tips for exposure with snow? My camera seems to either way over- or under-expose (depending on if I expose for the snow itself or something else) so I've mostly just left it at -2EV and then exposing for the snow, which is lazy but seems to mostly work.

That said, it seems like white balance is a breeze if you're surrounded by reflective white poo poo.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Grazing Occultation posted:

Does anyone have any tips for exposure with snow? My camera seems to either way over- or under-expose (depending on if I expose for the snow itself or something else) so I've mostly just left it at -2EV and then exposing for the snow, which is lazy but seems to mostly work.

That said, it seems like white balance is a breeze if you're surrounded by reflective white poo poo.

Your camera seeks to expose for 18% gray. Snow is much, much more white than that, so it's trying to underexpose the snow to make it gray. You'll need to overexpose from what the camera tells you to make it work.

When shooting something black, the camera tries to make it 18% gray, so you it tries to underexpose to make it gray.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
If the light is consistent you can shoot manual, just take a few test shots to find out where snow starts to clip.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Are there by any chance any Seattle goons here? I am going to be driving down there this week from Vancouver to shop for a 85mm f1.8 canon lens. I would appreciate it if someone can tell me about the good camera shops there so I can find it for cheap and not get stiffed. :3:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Just wanted to say thanks to the Dorkroom for the suggestions and advice on my christmas presents a couple of weeks back. The 8 x 12 foam-core mounted pictures were very well recieved by everyone.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Grazing Occultation posted:

I've always heard that you need to over expose by 2 stops, and when I took about 500 pictures of my friends and I sledding yesterday it seemed to work pretty well. Had I been paying more attention, I probably would've have boosted it another half stop or so. They're bright enough to get rid of the blue cast but they're a little darker and the snow is a little grayer than I would've liked.

Edit: around noon to 3pm the pictures were fine, but once the sun dipped below the trees I failed to compensate appropriately by bumping up the exposure. 2 stops over should be your benchmark, tweak using the histogram from there.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 2, 2011

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
I'm having some issues and I'm not sure if it's my camera or my SD card. I shoot a Canon S90 with a 4GB Sandisk card. When I imported the last set of shots a few came out looking like this:

Any ideas as to what's causing this?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mexecan posted:

I'm having some issues and I'm not sure if it's my camera or my SD card. I shoot a Canon S90 with a 4GB Sandisk card. When I imported the last set of shots a few came out looking like this:

Are you using an SD card reader?

If so, that is my first suspect.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

keyframe posted:

Are there by any chance any Seattle goons here? I am going to be driving down there this week from Vancouver to shop for a 85mm f1.8 canon lens. I would appreciate it if someone can tell me about the good camera shops there so I can find it for cheap and not get stiffed. :3:

Yea, there's a few of us from Seattle. Glazers, which is near the Space Needle is kind of the biggest name around. There's also Kenmore Camera which is north of Seattle a bit. Honestly, I like them a bit more then Glazers and they have your lens in stock according to the website.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

spog posted:

Are you using an SD card reader?

If so, that is my first suspect.

No, I use the SD slot on my Macbook to import. Any other guesses? Really hoping it's not the sensor or something on the S90, I've had it for barely more than a year.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

mexecan posted:

No, I use the SD slot on my Macbook to import. Any other guesses? Really hoping it's not the sensor or something on the S90, I've had it for barely more than a year.

Try connecting a USB directly to the camera and import that way.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

keyframe posted:

I'm not sure you are going to find any great deals on lenses in Seattle. Glazer's is near the Space Needle and worth a shot. There is also Camera Techs in Ballard but most of their used gear is older manual focus stuff.

edit: beaten on Glazer's

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I ordered some stuff from Kenmore Camera once. They've got a nice selection of used stuff.

http://www.kenmorecamera.com/t-about.aspx

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

mexecan posted:

Do you format the card every time?

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Beastruction posted:

Yes, I usually format the card using the camera. I've used this method for as long as I've had the camera.

I think I'll switch out the card and if the problem continues I guess the issue is the camera.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
My dad took this photo of my mom recently and its been driving him crazy as to what caused that white aura around her. I'm not sure what camera he was using outside of it being a digital one.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Sorry for the giant pixelated mess on the face. I hate the idea of uploading a picture of my family on the internet, but I figure its easier showing the problem then trying to describe it.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I hate to be the one to tell you this but your mother is a ghost.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Twenties Superstar posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you this but your mother is a ghost.

Oh no! :ohdear:

They were at church in Ethiopia when this picture was taken, perhaps sometype of divine intervention :unsmith:

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

mexecan posted:

Do the photos look fine on your camera if you view them there? If they do, something went wrong on the import. If not, something is either wrong with the card or the sensor. Also try what spog said and connect the camera directly with a USB cable and try to import that way. If that works ok, most likely something wrong with the card reader in the Mac.

JammyLammy posted:

My dad took this photo of my mom recently and its been driving him crazy as to what caused that white aura around her. I'm not sure what camera he was using outside of it being a digital one.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Sorry for the giant pixelated mess on the face. I hate the idea of uploading a picture of my family on the internet, but I figure its easier showing the problem then trying to describe it.
Looks like motion blur to me. Low light, indoors likely means a slow shutter, which makes for copious amounts of motion blur. The white is just her shirt. If you can, check the EXIF data and see what it says for shutter speed (can be viewed right in Windows file properties on Vista/7 and I think XP too)

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009

Disgustipated posted:

Looks like motion blur to me. Low light, indoors likely means a slow shutter, which makes for copious amounts of motion blur. The white is just her shirt. If you can, check the EXIF data and see what it says for shutter speed (can be viewed right in Windows file properties on Vista/7 and I think XP too)

Is this the data you are looking for? I don't see one that says shutter speed though =/ The rest of the stuff is greek to me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Exposure time = 0.56 secs.

There you have it a 1/2 sec shutter speed plus movement can certainly do that.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Ah, excellent. Thanks for the help guys :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Exposure time is the number you're after.

Half a second on a moving subject (or a bumped camera) could definitely create that kind of blur.

edit - man I got beat by a whole bunch.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
You can tell by all of the surroundings that the camera was moved a lot during the exposure. By a ghost.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Beastruction posted:

Wait, is this bad? :(
I tend to do a quick high-level format since it's faster than deleting all images on my 450D.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

dakana posted:

You can tell by all of the surroundings that the camera was moved a lot during the exposure. By a ghost.

lol

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Newbiequestion about metering.. If I use spot-metering, aim for a dark surface and half-press the shutter, then move the metering point somewhere else, will it continously meter at the metering point or hold the first one? How would I generally meter one point and recompose? Using a 7D if it matters.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Greybone posted:

Wait, is this bad? :(
I tend to do a quick high-level format since it's faster than deleting all images on my 450D.

No, it is not bad.

In fact, there are some who promote formatting as better than deleting. I personally don't think there is much in it.

Read errors seem to be almost entirely the fault of the card reader.

(Unless you are running CHDK in which case it will wipe that out)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

zapateria posted:

Newbiequestion about metering.. If I use spot-metering, aim for a dark surface and half-press the shutter, then move the metering point somewhere else, will it continously meter at the metering point or hold the first one? How would I generally meter one point and recompose? Using a 7D if it matters.
Depends on whether you've set it to meter-lock (AE-lock) on half press.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

spog posted:

No, it is not bad.

In fact, there are some who promote formatting as better than deleting. I personally don't think there is much in it.

Read errors seem to be almost entirely the fault of the card reader.

(Unless you are running CHDK in which case it will wipe that out)

I had an import where most or all of the images were corrupted like that, after which I started formatting the card regularly and it hasn't happened again (everything else being the same). It only takes a few seconds and reduces the card's filesystem as a source of error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not so much the filesystem that's at fault as it is the underlying mechanics that allow flash memory to work. It benefits greatly from occasional formatting to reset everything to a known state.

I've heard dudes at camera stores lecturing customers on this several times.. confused lady wondering why the pictures of her kids came out garbled, he asks how often the SD card is formatted. When she answers "never", he tells her to format the card every time she copies pictures to the computer.

Yes it's anecdotal but I've overhead this conversation enough to conclude that basically everyone "in the know" formats their cards regularly.