Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

God damnit, my personal interview got cancelled because the OPM revised their guidelines for hiring this far in advance for FCIP positions.

e: At least I have a hit from the DHS.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ndPunkOne
Aug 5, 2002

psydude posted:

God damnit, my personal interview got cancelled because the OPM revised their guidelines for hiring this far in advance for FCIP positions.

e: At least I have a hit from the DHS.

Might have also had something to do with this?

quote:

President Obama issued an executive order on Monday evening scrapping a controversial federal internship program.

The order shuts down the Federal Career Intern Program -- whose popularity as a means for quickly hiring new employees has skyrocketed since it was created in 2001 -- as of March 2011.
http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1210/122710ts1.htm

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

IndyPunkOne posted:

Holy poo poo.

From the executive order:

quote:

Sec. 8. Prior Executive Orders. (a) Effective March 1, 2011, Executive Order 13162 (Federal Career Intern Program) is superseded and revoked. Any individuals serving in appointments under that order on March 1, 2011, shall be converted to the competitive service, effective on that date, with no loss of pay or benefits.

Didn't see anything about a hard deadline for having the new Pathways system up and running. God damnit.

chuchumeister
Jul 23, 2007

Stuffed with dericious cream for your pleasure!

Tyro posted:

My reading of that is that it refers to your numerical score on the introductory qualification scale. You made the cutoff to be considered eligible (meet basic qualifications) but did not make the cutoff to be considered competitive and referred to a hiring official. It is not related to geography.

Oooh, I see. That makes much more sense. I was thinking of reach in a more literal sense.

IndyPunkOne posted:

President Obama issued an executive order on Monday evening scrapping a controversial federal internship program.

The order shuts down the Federal Career Intern Program -- whose popularity as a means for quickly hiring new employees has skyrocketed since it was created in 2001 -- as of March 2011.

Just curious, why was it considered controversial?

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

chuchumeister posted:

Oooh, I see. That makes much more sense. I was thinking of reach in a more literal sense.

Just curious, why was it considered controversial?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/28/AR2010122804257.html

hiring managers loved it because it shortened the hiring process. Labor leaders hated it because it because it allowed for more managerial discretion (or favoritism)

ndPunkOne
Aug 5, 2002

Happydayz posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/28/AR2010122804257.html

hiring managers loved it because it shortened the hiring process. Labor leaders hated it because it because it allowed for more managerial discretion (or favoritism)

Vets also didn't like it because of vet pref.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Happydayz posted:

Yeah, according to the new guidelines mentioned in that article the hiring process is supposed to be shortened to 80 days, although who knows how long that will take or if it ever will be implemented. Meanwhile, I don't really buy that FCIP was a major source of nepotism; the Border Patrol FCIP program I applied for was right there on USAJobs, and the other DHS program was out in plain view on their website.

A year ago I would have been really optimistic about this, but as someone who is twelve months out of college it really couldn't have come at a worse time. I have several active applications with the FCIP that are probably going to be thrown into limbo, and by the time the new system with the Recent Graduates program is up and running I likely won't qualify for it anymore. I'm not sure how being outside those hiring programs will effect my job hunt with the government, but I can't see it helping :-\

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 10, 2011

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Just posting to say that adjudication is the most nerve-wracking thing ever. I hate seeing an email in my inbox from the NGA...and it's just notification of a changed email address.

Also, apparently my best friend's dad told the investigator that I "like to date foreign men." I HAD ONE INDIAN BOYFRIEND!! I really hope that stupid comment doesn't double my wait time.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
^^^ The NGA position, did you get that from applying to the career fair events or future needs resume repository?

Xandu posted:

The bigger problem is that the hiring process is too burdensome and most interns who get hired end up becoming contractors. A new program seems like a good idea based on the WaPo article, but it'll be at least another year before it's up and running, which will screw with people currently looking.

In other news, why are all of the intelligence offices so far out in VA/MD? Pain in the rear end commute.

gently caress I'd commute for as long as it took.

In other news though my investigation for the contractor gig finally started, the first of my references got interviewed today, though I am getting second thoughts about the job.

Of course it would give me a TS clearance as well as two more years of experience working with Russian, but the work wouldn't really translate into anything I would want out of a career. Despite all that, would it really be that foot in the door I am looking for despite all that? Would the clearance be my key to getting a good career once I got back?

It is also kinda funny that the DSS are finally getting in touch with me, never called me back for that DSS exam. Missed that call because I was making chili, and it wasn't even good chili.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 30, 2010

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
It was a hiring event last summer. So it's possible that they may not even have an actual position for me. But the people I've talked to (in the NGA) keep saying encouraging things. One investigator said they must "really like me" because of the speed of the investigation. And my hiring mentor said I'm "in under the wire" and won't be affected by a hiring freeze. Could this all just be lip service? Who knows! I don't know whether to keep optimistic or be excessively pessimistic just in case...

I need to keep applying for other jobs...but I'm just not finding anything good right now :\

Also, my temp job sucks because I'm working for (and sharing a desk with) a lawyer who is a horrible human being!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Hrm. I'm an FCIP, due to convert in July and go up to a GS12. So how is that going to work?

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

http://www.dia.mil/careers/events/pdf/HCG10018_FlyerV2LoColor.pdf

Invitation only hiring event at DIA. Apply by Jan 7, event is held Feb 15-16 in DC, hiring managers and HR reps are empowered to make on-the-spot conditional job offers.

This is one of the fastest ways into the federal government, and also one of the easiest ways to break into the intel community.

Definitely worth checking out. Just be advised that there will be a flood of applicants.

The way it works is that HR will take the flood of resumes. HR will screen these and forward relevant resumes to interested managers. These managers who have vacancies will highlight those that interest them as well as search through the entire database themselves. HR will invite these people to the event and set up a time for them to meet with the manager.

And here is the key - once a prospective employee is at the event, they can conduct ad hoc interviews with other hiring managers, thereby greatly increasing their prospects.

So different strategies that you can take. You can try to be the jack of all trades and submit a "I am awesome" resume that you hope a manager highlights. Or you can do a narrowly focused resume hoping to get invited, and once there branch out and try to hit elsewhere. Drawbacks to both - the general approach means it is much harder to get recognized by someone out of the sea of resumes. The narrowly focused one takes the risk that the area you focused on actually has empty billets they are trying to hire against.

Personally I would recommend going narrow just because it helps you stand out better. That and much of the federal government has been under a hiring freeze, so just through natural attrition it is likely that most offices are hiring.

Happydayz fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 30, 2010

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

IndyPunkOne posted:

:negative:

God loving drat it. All of the offers I got were for FCIP positions; unless the agencies can come up with another alternative this pretty much kills any chance I had of getting hired by the federal government. Thank Zeus I applied to private companies as well.

e: As someone mentioned earlier: "The order is expected to be fully implemented within a year, the official said." Yeah, that doesn't exactly help me or anyone else applying right now. I might as well volunteer for a deployment to Afghanistan after OBC at this rate. At least then I'd get a damned 5 point veteran preference.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 30, 2010

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

on the plus side - you got multiple offers. So clearly you have something going for you that managers/HR reps are gravitating toward. Just need to capitalize on that by taking the long route.

But yeah - sucks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, I'll figure something out, but it's just highly frustrating and inconvenient because I pretty much already had one job offer locked down with another two on the way and now I have to look to the private sector. Any organization that seeks a profit is automatically a thousand times more of a pain in the rear end to apply to.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Hrm. I'm an FCIP, due to convert in July and go up to a GS12. So how is that going to work?

From the order, I assume you'll convert in March, and become a GS-12 in July.

psydude posted:

Yeah, I'll figure something out, but it's just highly frustrating and inconvenient because I pretty much already had one job offer locked down with another two on the way and now I have to look to the private sector. Any organization that seeks a profit is automatically a thousand times more of a pain in the rear end to apply to.

I think you've got it backwards, I can't think of any private company that is as much of a pain in the rear end to apply to as a federal government job.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Beerdeer posted:

You'll move out of that conditional appointment category or whatever it is.

Are you CBP?

Anyone who is CBP and is under their two year should be celebrating BIG for this.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Homie S posted:

You'll move out of that conditional appointment category or whatever it is.

Are you CBP?

Anyone who is CBP and is under their two year should be celebrating BIG for this.

USCIS, so I was pretty much guaranteed to convert anyway. Now I guess I can start looking for a house.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Gravel Gravy posted:

^^^ The NGA position, did you get that from applying to the career fair events or future needs resume repository?

gently caress I'd commute for as long as it took.

In other news though my investigation for the contractor gig finally started, the first of my references got interviewed today, though I am getting second thoughts about the job.

Of course it would give me a TS clearance as well as two more years of experience working with Russian, but the work wouldn't really translate into anything I would want out of a career. Despite all that, would it really be that foot in the door I am looking for despite all that? Would the clearance be my key to getting a good career once I got back?

It is also kinda funny that the DSS are finally getting in touch with me, never called me back for that DSS exam. Missed that call because I was making chili, and it wasn't even good chili.

If you're otherwise qualified, changing jobs will be a lot easier with a TS. But you still have to be qualified. What's the position? If it's not something you want to do, there's always other opportunities.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 7, 2011

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think you've got it backwards, I can't think of any private company that is as much of a pain in the rear end to apply to as a federal government job.

The federal government is just loving slow. Otherwise they have a centralized application website and once you get set up it's really easy to apply to poo poo, even if you're doing it through email (a la FCIP).

Every private company you apply to has a different application process, different requirements (for similar positions), and can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 months to respond.

Now, if you're applying to an intelligence agency then holy poo poo yeah it's a pain in the rear end.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Xandu posted:

Oh I'm definitely taking it, I just wish it wasn't so drat far from DC. I don't even own a car.

If you're otherwise qualified, changing jobs will be a lot easier with a TS. But you still have to be qualified. What's the position? If it's not something you want to do, there's always other opportunities.

edit: removed where it was.

Find me a job and we'll carpool! I'll even let you touch my radio!

But yeah, I would be a custodial engineer at a US embassy and later an immigration assistant. Grunt work pretty much.

Edit: Thanks for the hiring event announcement, last one didn't work too well for me, ended up getting sick the night before.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 30, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

psydude posted:

The federal government is just loving slow. Otherwise they have a centralized application website and once you get set up it's really easy to apply to poo poo, even if you're doing it through email (a la FCIP).

Every private company you apply to has a different application process, different requirements (for similar positions), and can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 months to respond.

Now, if you're applying to an intelligence agency then holy poo poo yeah it's a pain in the rear end.

Not really so centralized as you think: I applied for the DHS Acquisition Professional FCIP through their website (no posting on USA Jobs), and many of the agencies who post positions on USAJobs use it as a shell to funnel you into their own proprietary application submission system, which requires you to set up a new account, reformat your resume to yet another standard, and sit around for months until someone deigns to send you a form rejection with no helpful criticism. For many of the jobs I'm looking at, an application timeline of a year or more isn't at all unusual; add in the various tests, interviews, etc spaced out by months apiece (not to mention clearance investigations) and I'll take private sector any day of the week.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Every agency I applied to was handled by the application manager (which doesn't support Chrome) with the exception of the CIA, which understandably used a completely separate system.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not really so centralized as you think: I applied for the DHS Acquisition Professional FCIP through their website (no posting on USA Jobs), and many of the agencies who post positions on USAJobs use it as a shell to funnel you into their own proprietary application submission system, which requires you to set up a new account, reformat your resume to yet another standard, and sit around for months until someone deigns to send you a form rejection with no helpful criticism. For many of the jobs I'm looking at, an application timeline of a year or more isn't at all unusual; add in the various tests, interviews, etc spaced out by months apiece (not to mention clearance investigations) and I'll take private sector any day of the week.

This. Also, private companies give you a form rejection and don't give you any criticism either.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

psydude posted:

OTOH, I don't know a lot of private employers that require your college transcripts.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Finally got my foreign service offer. Yay!

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

SWATJester posted:

Congratulations!

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

SWATJester posted:

Welcome to the machine.

Chadula
May 7, 2004
Its not that I don't know you that I don't trust you its 'cause I do know you that I don't trust you.
So I have a question for the folks that did their drug test for a Secret or TS clearance. Was your drug tests standard urine? Or was it hair? I have a medical card in my State, but I feel that will not show enough "mitigation" (I plan on fully disclosing my use on the SF86). I'm planning on doing other treatments for my condition to help show I've quit and moved on (turned in my card and stopped using cannabis before I accepted the offer).

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Chadula posted:

TS clearance. I have a medical card in my State, but I feel that will not show enough "mitigation"
For a secret, I'm not sure... but for a TS? A card? When was the last time you used?

Chadula
May 7, 2004
Its not that I don't know you that I don't trust you its 'cause I do know you that I don't trust you.

TCD posted:

For a secret, I'm not sure... but for a TS? A card? When was the last time you used?

TS = Top secret. Last month. As I understand it, anything within a couple of months can be considered "active" use. However, what is interesting about my case is that on the SF 86 it specifically says "illegal" use within the past 7 years. Technically in the states eyes I was legal. The form does not differentat state vs federal legalities. Although I'm sure its implied federal. I mean you can get a prescription for cocaine and vicodin so why is cannabis all that different? (barring the schedule of the drug) I've done alot of digging and reading and the only thing I see as precedents in my case is this one, http://www.clearancejobsblog.com/cleared-career-advice/drugs-medical-marijuana-and-security-clearances/ But that guy was an idiot and tried having one (medical marijuana) while he had a clearance.

I feel my case is going to be a lawyer type of a case, but anywho any feedback is appreciated.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Anybody have any info on being an FBI or CIA agent? I've been reading up on some of the career paths but they don't really say what it's like day to day.

I'm a 1Lt in the Air Force, an Electronic Warfare Officer flying on a communications jamming platform, I have a TS/SCI, a BA in Bus. Economics and will be starting a masters soon but don't know in what.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

JacksLibido posted:

Anybody have any info on being an FBI or CIA agent? I've been reading up on some of the career paths but they don't really say what it's like day to day.

I'm a 1Lt in the Air Force, an Electronic Warfare Officer flying on a communications jamming platform, I have a TS/SCI, a BA in Bus. Economics and will be starting a masters soon but don't know in what.

NSA might be interested in you, too.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Chadula posted:

I feel my case is going to be a lawyer type of a case, but anywho any feedback is appreciated.

It's still illegal federally...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Chadula posted:

TS = Top secret. Last month. As I understand it, anything within a couple of months can be considered "active" use. However, what is interesting about my case is that on the SF 86 it specifically says "illegal" use within the past 7 years. Technically in the states eyes I was legal. The form does not differentat state vs federal legalities. Although I'm sure its implied federal. I mean you can get a prescription for cocaine and vicodin so why is cannabis all that different? (barring the schedule of the drug) I've done alot of digging and reading and the only thing I see as precedents in my case is this one, http://www.clearancejobsblog.com/cleared-career-advice/drugs-medical-marijuana-and-security-clearances/ But that guy was an idiot and tried having one (medical marijuana) while he had a clearance.

That usage is pretty recent without much mitigation. If you used after you submitted your application, I don't think that's going to go over to well. Just my guess.

Chadula
May 7, 2004

TCD posted:

That usage is pretty recent without much mitigation. If you used after you submitted your application, I don't think that's going to go over to well. Just my guess.

Well I haven't submitted the paper work yet, HR is still processing the "formal" offer. I have had a secret clearance before in which I didn't use any illegal substances and before which never had a interest in cannabis. (I may get lucky and might not have to fill out a SF 86 even though its been two years, as the gov't takes forever processing things). You can show mitigation other then time. For instants, using the drug in your 20s/college (I'm 26), not hanging around others who encouraged its use for my treatment (I'm moving out of state that had all those friends), signing a letter of intent that if i use any illegal substance my clearance is revoked. The other thing I have going for me is that the whole process from e-quip submittal to potential court proceedings seems to be about 10 months to 13 months and a Statement of reasons (SOR) takes about 6 months before that. That puts me out of "active" use. The other thing I have going for me is that "whole person" concept they talk about in the court proceedings. I've haven't even had a speeding ticket in 8 years and am in the perfect credit braket.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

JacksLibido posted:

What do you mean, "agent"? In your case, you are probably hoping for either an analytical career path, or a career in the "field" (better to use the term collector). In either scenario, your best bets are networking and blanket applying. In other--also, pretty much all-- cases, you'll need to network (you probably know that).

The CIA and NSA post their vacancies on their individual web sites only; the FBI posts its vacancies both on its web site and via USAJobs. I'm not sure where you're flying out of and don't want to know, but you should be able to network there to some mild extent. It would be a good idea to have someone who works for one of these organizations look over your resume before you submit it anywhere; really, that would be crucial. Becoming an analyst or working in collection will require the same networking and/or luck process, with the collection community having a slightly more insular nature than the analytical community.

This is not my area of expertise, so don't take the next clause as hard reality, but I would imagine your canned experience as an EWO would assist in finding a collection-related (and potentially field-related) job. Check nsa.gov and cia.gov (mostly nsa). Even people who work at those types of places will tell you to do that, so don't take it as a "hey, gently caress off" generic answer.

Lastly, always watch for job fairs. If you're interested at all in the analytical side, scroll up to Happydayz's post about the DIA hiring event and apply by... this Friday. With intelligence experience, it's pretty much the best way to get into the IC humanly available.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Chadula posted:

So I have a question for the folks that did their drug test for a Secret or TS clearance. Was your drug tests standard urine? Or was it hair? I have a medical card in my State, but I feel that will not show enough "mitigation" (I plan on fully disclosing my use on the SF86). I'm planning on doing other treatments for my condition to help show I've quit and moved on (turned in my card and stopped using cannabis before I accepted the offer).

Here is the standard boilerplate for SF-86 drug use. This is FBI's, but it's pretty standard:

1. Have you used marijuana at all within the last three years?
2. Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) at all in the past 10 years?
3. Have you ever sold any illegal drug?
4. Have you ever used an illegal drug (no matter how many times or how long ago) while in a law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust?
5. Have you ever used any prescription drug in its original intended manner, but without the proper prescription or legal justification for use within one year (12 months) preceding the date of the preliminary application?
6. Have you ever used any prescription drug or used a legally obtained substance in a manner for which it was not intended within three years (36 months) preceding the date of the preliminary application for employment?

Answering yes usually disqualifies you from further consideration for any job requiring any sort of clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadula
May 7, 2004

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Here is the standard boilerplate for SF-86 drug use. This is FBI's, but it's pretty standard:

1. Have you used marijuana at all within the last three years?
2. Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) at all in the past 10 years?
3. Have you ever sold any illegal drug?
4. Have you ever used an illegal drug (no matter how many times or how long ago) while in a law enforcement or prosecutorial position, or in a position which carries with it a high level of responsibility or public trust?
5. Have you ever used any prescription drug in its original intended manner, but without the proper prescription or legal justification for use within one year (12 months) preceding the date of the preliminary application?
6. Have you ever used any prescription drug or used a legally obtained substance in a manner for which it was not intended within three years (36 months) preceding the date of the preliminary application for employment?

Answering yes usually disqualifies you from further consideration for any job requiring any sort of clearance.

So by that templet, alot of college kids would say yes to number 1 and not work for the FBI. This makes since for the FBI; different departments have more stricter polices for sure. I'm going to be be working for a government contractor. Industrial clearances are different then that of the FBI's and CIA's.