Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
What about capsule rounds, stick-n-shocks or even some kind of warded rounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MaliciousOnion posted:

What about capsule rounds, stick-n-shocks or even some kind of warded rounds?

Well they're all still moving at about a foot per second. How "dodging" these would work is up to debate and yet another rules hole but at a minimum it isn't like a Wizard can't just step a foot to the side to avoid them. Warded rounds still require magic and in any case don't exist in SR for a variety of "reasons." Off the top of my head supposedly bullet deformation in flight makes them impossible to maintain or something, and even if it were possible nobody would bother since they'd be prohibitively expensive vs. just hiring your own wizard to blast them.

You shouldn't waste time or mental energy trying to justify it, and I say this as someone who has done fairly serious apologetics for incredibly lovely rules in the past. You've read the reasoning behind the spell from the author himself and I don't think there is much evidence of subtle mechanical sophistication to be had.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
This story has been burning a hole in my brain for a year and there is basically no one around here who would know Shadowrun well enough to know how incredible it is for a run to go from a-ok to catastrophic character ender within a single action.

I led a team of three down to Phoenix to extract a specific middle management fellow from a startup tech company that had a new commlink circuit or simsense jackoff program or whatever. I don't remember. We set up base in the town surrounding the company, which had basically turned into a wholly owned subsidiary of whatever company this was.

The sneaky ninja dirtbag acquired some fake IDs and spent a couple days inside the building doing recon, eventually found out where the guy spent his time, which time during the day he would be where, etc. The weapons sociopath scoured blueprints for the company and the surrounding buildings for a perch to set up shop, and my face (troll) talked up the locals.

The population of the town was luckily upset with the way that this particular company had been working. I guess a number of people had developed serious medical conditions and were abandoned by the company with a big bowl of deniability, so there was the beginning of a riotous swell brewing around everyone. I had wrapped myself in bandages and poo poo because of an earlier complication with a neverending stream of souls infesting Chernobyl getting in between me and getting paid, so I played up a sympathy angle. Talked them into thinking that I was the most recent victim of their bullshit, and found out that they were planning a sort of jailbreak campaign to help out the people held in the building against their will. Once I was accepted into their group, I started pushing quicker action.

Jump to the day of the extraction. The stealthy fucker was poised to kidnap the manager in the bathroom, the sociopath was sitting on top of an adjacent building with enough hardware to give Damien Knight a half-chub, and I had 70 or so pissed off white collar revolutionaries set to make the greatest diversion ever conceived. I signaled the start of the riot, and held back in the charge. Guns were fired, blood was spilled, The infiltrator picked up the target, and a helicopter showed up. The sociopath lined up the shot and took it down with an AP missile. Every single person I had with me stopped dead. "Oh poo poo, they knew we were coming! Bail! Bail!" Everyone started to run away. I called out, asking what the hell was going on, and one of the revolutionaries yelled back that someone had just shot down their extraction helicopter.

Oops.

Long endgame story short, the infiltrator could not escape, and ended up in prison. The sociopath got away easy, because bad people always have it the easiest, and I took about 2 weeks to get back to the metroplex. After the run, the GM could not stop laughing. Apparently we were poised to get everything handed to us. We prepared perfectly, we found all the right clues and set up everything flawlessly. Good thing we hosed it up though, because a successful run would be pretty out of character.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

set to make the greatest diversion ever conceived

The more SR I play, the more I begin to think the real reason for playing the game is just to create crazy plans to commit crimes. Organizing white collar riots. Releasing ghouls from the sewers into the building. Setting the Russians and the Triad against each other on a zeppelin, while several celebrity criminals go around killing and stealing things (for us, naturally).

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
So in the 20th anniversary edition, page 177, it says "Force is measured on the same scale as metahuman attributes (natural 1-6)" but everywhere else the maximum Force of a spell is said to be double the caster's Magic, with no reference to a cap at 6. Can a mage cast a Force 7 spell? It looks like they can't, which would make mages considerably less broken, but the fact that it only mentions that once makes it a pretty debatable point. Thoughts?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's that they can, but the drain becomes physical rather than stun.

Shirt: I have GM'd a game that went pretty much like that. Instead of the helicopter, the guy they were extracting was said to "probably have a head-bomb". The players spent a whole hour and a half or so of tabletime setting up cyberdocs along various routes, ready to pull it out (It was a time or distance thing, I think, been a while). They pulled up to the meet to drop the guy off, got paid, left, and then BOOM! Restraunt blows up as they pull out. Ooops.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The natural limit of spells is 6, and you can only exceed that through metamagic initiation or taking physical drain

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Zweihander01 posted:

The more SR I play, the more I begin to think the real reason for playing the game is just to create crazy plans to commit crimes. Organizing white collar riots. Releasing ghouls from the sewers into the building. Setting the Russians and the Triad against each other on a zeppelin, while several celebrity criminals go around killing and stealing things (for us, naturally).

Honestly my favorite part of the game is how easily stories just snowball down a hill of failure to slam into comedy city. The face I was talking about got his hand blown off his first run while trying to open a helicopter door that an opposing player's sniper was trained on. Rolled like ten drat dice before adding his edge, then got a grand total of 15P damage dealt with EX explosive rounds. The GM let me just take damage to my hand alone, thankfully, and I managed to find the sniper later and force him to buy me a new hand

Also, I think that the limit is directly related to your Magic rating. If you have Magic 4 then you can only go up to Force 4 before taking physical drain, and even then it's only up to double your attribute.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Oh my god I haven't read WAR but that Slow spell is a total game breaker, like Turn to Goo was in SR1 (and Stunbolt has been since forever).

Also I remember they came out and explicitly stated that settings expansions would never have gear/spells/etc. but it appears that was a load of poo poo as usual. The people at Catalyst have no idea how to run this franchise as has been evident by the way they treated their freelancers and how they allow terrible rules like Slow to make it past the first stage of editing.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, I got a hankering for Shadowrun, and my local group isn't interested.

Managed to get into a 3e pbp last year, but that fell apart to group fighting. Which was really depressing, because it was the most active pbp I have ever seen.

So a few questions then: How do most riggers handle runs? Do they chill in a van a few blocks away from the target? Do they go on the run with a few drones following them? Do most riggers pack a combat skill or two for when they can't/don't have access to their toys?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Oh my god I haven't read WAR but that Slow spell is a total game breaker, like Turn to Goo was in SR1 (and Stunbolt has been since forever).

Also I remember they came out and explicitly stated that settings expansions would never have gear/spells/etc. but it appears that was a load of poo poo as usual. The people at Catalyst have no idea how to run this franchise as has been evident by the way they treated their freelancers and how they allow terrible rules like Slow to make it past the first stage of editing.

I'm not sure when WAR! was written but I know a lot of the good freelancers like Adam Jury and Rob Boyle left during the whole Loren Coleman fiasco. I surprised it even made it to print considering the shaky status of the company.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Verr posted:

Man, I got a hankering for Shadowrun, and my local group isn't interested.

Managed to get into a 3e pbp last year, but that fell apart to group fighting. Which was really depressing, because it was the most active pbp I have ever seen.

So a few questions then: How do most riggers handle runs? Do they chill in a van a few blocks away from the target? Do they go on the run with a few drones following them? Do most riggers pack a combat skill or two for when they can't/don't have access to their toys?

No one answer I think. Drone riggers usually stay at least somewhat behind so they can control their drones in a hostile environment without being slugged. Signal limits usually mean that both hackers and riggers have to actually go on runs and not do everything from their apartment, though.

Also, I've never heard of any Shadowrun character that didn't have firearms and a backup piece, but maybe my group is just paranoid careful.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Right on. I'm considering throwing together a Techno-Rigger or an ordinary rigger, both of which are tempting. I dig the idea of a high essence mechanic/rigger (emphasis on drones), and that seems to support Technomancer the most. Though the thought of a ork pilot is pretty drat sweet.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Verr posted:

Right on. I'm considering throwing together a Techno-Rigger or an ordinary rigger, both of which are tempting. I dig the idea of a high essence mechanic/rigger (emphasis on drones), and that seems to support Technomancer the most. Though the thought of a ork pilot is pretty drat sweet.

Technomancers are terrible until you get hundreds of karma. Adept hackers outclass regular hackers immediately with the rules as written. They really screwed up the Matrix with 4th Ed.

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

Bigass Moth posted:

Technomancers are terrible until you get hundreds of karma. Adept hackers outclass regular hackers immediately with the rules as written. They really screwed up the Matrix with 4th Ed.

I'm a 4th ed matrix apologist. I love that they paradoxically slowed the internet down in the future so that everyone can play. We always shied away from Hackers in previous editions because no one wanted to stop the game with their little matrix side missions.

BIOWARE QUESTION! Is there any way to expand the resevoir of webbing for the spinneret implant? Two doses from the wrist is simply not going to let me do anything a spider can.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

But as I understand it, Techno-whatsits are inferior due to all the poo poo they have to buy. This makes deckers more expensive, due to all the programs, whereas a rigger focuses more on stats and gadgets, negating the prohibitive cost of a Technomancer.

Am I on the right track?

Tias
May 25, 2008

FutureBoy posted:

I'm a 4th ed matrix apologist. I love that they paradoxically slowed the internet down in the future so that everyone can play. We always shied away from Hackers in previous editions because no one wanted to stop the game with their little matrix side missions.

BIOWARE QUESTION! Is there any way to expand the resevoir of webbing for the spinneret implant? Two doses from the wrist is simply not going to let me do anything a spider can.

I'd talk it over with your GM. I allowed a player a choice between a pressurized container of proto-spin he could jack into his wrist (letting him knew he was screwed if he glitched the refill) or an implant that synthesized extra spin for a hefty fee. There's no such thing as a free lunch etc.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Verr posted:

But as I understand it, Techno-whatsits are inferior due to all the poo poo they have to buy. This makes deckers more expensive, due to all the programs, whereas a rigger focuses more on stats and gadgets, negating the prohibitive cost of a Technomancer.

Am I on the right track?

Technomancers make magicians look cheap in terms of karma consumption before they can do anything. Nearly any well-made starting hacker will outclass any starting Technomancer from the get go, and when you have an Adept (which costs 5 BP) with the appropriate abilities doing the hacking, forget about ever catching up.

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"
A couple of questions:
1. Would Tony Stark be a hacker or a technomancer
2. unrelated question; do the rules for being a spider-adept exist in 4th ed.?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

FutureBoy posted:

Would Tony Stark be a hacker or a technomancer

he'd probably be sort of a hackery riggery street sam type guy with a shitload of money and lots of chrome. definitely mundane though

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

Technomancers make magicians look cheap in terms of karma consumption before they can do anything. Nearly any well-made starting hacker will outclass any starting Technomancer from the get go, and when you have an Adept (which costs 5 BP) with the appropriate abilities doing the hacking, forget about ever catching up.

I dunno about the 4th edition version, but in the power description for enhanced skill in the 20th anniversary core book, it says specifically not to allow someone to take adept specifically for these shenanigans.

E: Maybe not! I know I read that somewhere, I'll look into it.

20th ed. rulebook posted:

Adept
Cost:
5 BP

Though this quality is inexpensive, gamemasters should be careful not to allow it to be abused. It should only be taken for characters that are intended to be played as adepts.

I think dropping five BP into getting +3 dice on hacking and claiming to be a "Hacking Adept" is exactly the kind of thing this is condemning.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 13, 2011

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

I think dropping five BP into getting +3 dice on hacking and claiming to be a "Hacking Adept" is exactly the kind of thing this is condemning.

If you drop a few extra bp in magic (power ratings are capped at your magic rating so you need to do this to get more than 1 bonus dice anyway, and you're only spending 25% -- maybe 50% -- of your power points in improved hacking so you might as well pick up some other more standard adept powers) and roleplay being more magical than the average hacker then you're just as much an adept as the troll who rolls a million dice to punch people.

e: to clarify, the cost of +3 to hacking would be 25 BP, not 5, and you would also have 2.25 power points left, enough to get +3 to three other skills or pick up something like Improved Reflexes 1 and Attribute Boost (Agility) 3 and hold your own in a fight. At which point you are pretty definitively an adept.

If you just took the adept power for your +1 dice to hacking and +1 to three other skills or a stat or something then yeah, that probably is what it is condemning. Though I'm not so sure that's so bad for balance to be honest, since you're basically spending BP and giving up any potential 'ware for +1 dice to some stuff.

Vayra fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 14, 2011

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Bah, i'm trying to join a game on Dumpshock, but they're being spammed or some poo poo, and aren't allowing new users.

Feels lovely to dump hours into a character and then find it was all for nothing.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I wish more games were run here on SA. I love the Shadowrun setting, and I love heist capers, but I've never gotten to play an actual game.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Quick! Someone cool, hip, and funky-fresh run a game!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

As I understand it, can't Technomancers be kinda worth it if they exploit Sprites for all they're worth? Sort of like how a mage which does nothing but summon spirits to do things for him is actually pretty goddamn awesome.

Also I think they can technically eventually outstrip mundane hackers, maybe adepts, but it costs astronomical amounts of karma that the hacker could use to become a world-class street sam, rigger, mechanic, and scientist as well as maxing all his hacking skills.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Verr posted:

Bah, i'm trying to join a game on Dumpshock, but they're being spammed or some poo poo, and aren't allowing new users.

Feels lovely to dump hours into a character and then find it was all for nothing.

Dumpshock games either go forever, or die almost instantly. Really, it sucks pretty bad. Players and GMs ditching like crazy with no word, rhyme or reason all over the place.

I'd run an SR game here, but I've got my Dark Heresy game and an IRL game I'm planning that I'm dumping my GM energy into.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

But.. but..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZrgxHvNNUc&feature=related

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
So I'm about to start a 4e caribbean pirate campaign. I've been reading the old Cyberpirates sourcebook, but obviously a lot of the names for important people etc. wouldn't make sense since it's set in 2060 and we're in 2072 now -- though the corporate information, big pirate crews etc will still work. Is there any sort of resource for an updated caribbean setting or am I on my own here?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The Good Professor posted:

So I'm about to start a 4e caribbean pirate campaign. I've been reading the old Cyberpirates sourcebook, but obviously a lot of the names for important people etc. wouldn't make sense since it's set in 2060 and we're in 2072 now -- though the corporate information, big pirate crews etc will still work. Is there any sort of resource for an updated caribbean setting or am I on my own here?

We actually had one run here a year or two ago. NEver got very far, got abandoned by the GM. Can't remember who was GMing, but I was a player. Game name was Cyberpirates of the Caribbean.

Tias
May 25, 2008

The Good Professor posted:

Yes. The writer who was supposed to make the 4th Ed sourcebook uploaded what he had written up until he got axed for free distribution. I'm not entirely sure where to find it, but I know it's free and still online. Try sifting through this thread and look on dumpshock.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

Tias posted:

Yes. The writer who was supposed to make the 4th Ed sourcebook uploaded what he had written up until he got axed for free distribution. I'm not entirely sure where to find it, but I know it's free and still online. Try sifting through this thread and look on dumpshock.

This sounds brilliant, if anyone could find me this or tell me the name of the file or anything else related that would be amazing. I'll also be looking on my own, of course, but a quick search turned up nothing.

I have no problem with rolling dice and making poo poo up but I like to have more concrete setting and backstory than that when I can.

e: apparently it's called Shadows of Latin America?
e2: aaaand bam. Found it.

Since it's unreleased and apparently not ever getting released I think this is fine, but if it's :filez: then let me know and I'll edit the links back out.

http://www.box.net/shared/q2p019s1ib
http://www.box.net/shared/a8kv8xc5u6 <-- this is the Caribbean-related part
http://www.box.net/shared/erxp9l1fsc
http://www.box.net/shared/467shbmtzu

Vayra fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 14, 2011

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Shadows of Latin America never getting released is unrelated to the recent shenanigans where Catalyst decided that payment was optional.

quote:

Steve Kenson's gay sex name is "Talon." That's his spirit name that he uses when trolling for heart companions to have gay sex with his warlock spells. In real life, that he apparently actually believes in. Also he goes by Talon on the interwebs and his freelance production company is "Talon Studios."

So when he writes the character "Talon" into the setting, you can be reasonably certain that this is a self insertion character. And when that character is a ridiculously powerful magician who is totally gay and has a spirit ally who is a bitchin motorcycle, we can in fact be totally certain that he is a self-insert. And when he is so hot that all the men want to have sex with him, and all the women want to have sex with him, and some of the women are willing to transform themselves into men via hormones and surgery for a chance at getting into his illustrious pants, and even dragons want in on the man-cock - then you know that the Mary Sue things have gone way too far.

Now imagine that there was a book called "Shadows of Latin America" that never actually got printed because he was working as an editor on the project and he insisted on more gay spirit sex in Amazonia or he would have a tantrum - and then the freelancers writing the thing elected to not write in more gay spirit sex, and then Steve went on a tantrum where the book never actually got finished because he walked off with all the dev submissions and never gave them back or told anyone that he was quitting the project.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES

Zweihander01 posted:

Oh man, after the crap I've been pulling these past two weeks I can't wait for the DM retelling post of my group's greatest diversion: The Shadowball Run.

I will explain everything after the actual run tonight, (it contains an MLM, a race through the desert, a Yakuza vs everyone else war, force 10 spirits running amuck, and 490 Shadowrunning crews. Also two trailers with enough military hardware to wipe out a suburb.)

dirtycajun fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 14, 2011

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Steve Kenson almost singlehandedly killed Shadowrun at 3rd edition. His fiction and sourcebook work is some of the worst ever (see: Dragonheart Trilogy).

Tias
May 25, 2008

What sourcebooks are you thinking about?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

dirtycajun posted:

Oh man, after the crap I've been pulling these past two weeks I can't wait for the DM retelling post of my group's greatest diversion: The Shadowball Run.

I will explain everything after the actual run tonight, (it contains an MLM, a race through the desert, a Yakuza vs everyone else war, force 10 spirits running amuck, and 490 Shadowrunning crews. Also two trailers with enough military hardware to wipe out a suburb.)

I was eventually convinced that the several million nuyen worth of debt you inflicted on my character (while I, personally, was in another state) was entirely in character, but did you seriously give several thousand shadowrunners reason to hate my character? And if we're using a race involving hundreds of teams of hardened murderous mercenaries to disguise the fact that we're running guns, does whoever we're delivering these guns to mind if they arrive blown up a bit? Because I'm worried that they'll be blown up a bit.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Tias posted:

What sourcebooks are you thinking about?

Specifically, Year of the Comet.

Now we could play catgirls and lizardmen. Yay.

Now that kind of crap was ultimately Rob Boyle's decision, but Kenson was the lead SR writer for basically all of 3rd edition.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Specifically, Year of the Comet.

Now we could play catgirls and lizardmen. Yay.

Now that kind of crap was ultimately Rob Boyle's decision, but Kenson was the lead SR writer for basically all of 3rd edition.

Ach so. Well, while it undoubtedly sucks anthromorphic cock with the furry crap, having the rules to introduce changelings, were-animals and other "weirdlings" outside of the normal scope of the setting is a pretty cool thing IMHO. As long as it's not overdone, and from the official side it definitely was..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serril
Dec 31, 2007

Mort Fun Time
I've got a rules question. I've seen it mentioned that weapons mounted on vehicles and drones don't suffer recoil. I've poked around in the books and I can't find a rule to that effect, other than an offhand mention in Arsenal on pg 105. Can someone point me towards a more explicit rule for that or is that all there is on that subject?

• Locked thread