Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

:sigh: I'd gotten pretty smug lately about how Beck has never had skin issues, despite being a mix of two such sensitive breeds. It's a dumb thing to be smug about. Even with precautions like feeding a good food, only giving her high-quality treats, and using special laundry detergent on her soft toys, blankets and coats, a lot of the time it just falls to chance. I had a good reminder of that this week. Beck developed a rash on her belly that she then aggravated the hell out of with licking.
I always buy blankets for the dogs from Goodwill so it doesn't matter if they shred them. I launder them pretty thouroughly beforehand, so I thought I was safe. But I gave Beck a big fluffy comforter last week, and she tore a hole in it. She had an allergic reaction to the stuffing in the comforter. Just a handful of fluff and my dog's stomach turns bright loving red in a day.
She's getting spritzed with a medicated spray from the vet three times a day now, and she's been switched back to normal, un-stuffed blankets. I guess the lesson here is that at some point, every dog is going to run into problems, despite all your precautions. Someday, your shar pei/shar pei mix may turn bright red, and you just have to deal.

paisleyfox, that's a great article. The author left out Carolina Dogs, though! They're a feral breed from the Southeastern US, and from what I understand, the DNA testing done on them so far suggests that they may be a very old breed. They've also got unique breeding patterns and hunting behaviors.

I wish Smithsonian magazine had thir article from 1999 about them online, but this Nat. Geo article is pretty good too. I think this is part of why I've come to love primitive breeds- there's always something new to read about.

Up in your swamps being all ancient and poo poo.

Wheats fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetheartjess
Nov 27, 2010
Rogue is the brown evil one (I think this picture is pretty lulzy)

I think she's part Basenji, part terrier? I honestly have no clue; she's a shelter mutt.

Click here for the full 733x550 image.

she also kind of looks like a dingo, or a deer, or a bat, depending on the position of her ears...

Click here for the full 764x580 image.

Click here for the full 760x528 image.

(my dogs are also quite vicious)

ok... no mas

Click here for the full 686x550 image.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Sister was in town for thanksgiving so I have her pictures of my dog:

I like this one because it looks like he's sticking his tongue out at me in defiance which is exactly what that dumb dog acts like all the time.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
As I was shoveling the driveway I let the dog run around outside. Nobody's driving around and who would steal a dog in this snowfall so I'm not worried about anything happening to him, and he never wanders off very far. I must have been shoveling for an hour and the dog was happy go lucky playing in the snow the whole time. Didn't seem to notice how drat cold it is or show any signs of wanting to go back inside. My friends have dogs that can't stay outside for more than five or ten minutes without crying and trying to get back in the house but this guy has a nice double coat and doesn't notice the cold.

He looks like a black labrador but I swear he's just a smaller blacker chow or something.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
We went to a new vet today now that we moved since Kaidan needed vaccinations and I wanted to talk to the vet and his hips and teeth. It was interesting. I went to this vet because I checked yelp and they had 5 stars over 88 reviews they are also about 4 blocks from my house which helps. I'm not sure how I feel about the vet himself though. He advocated bathing dogs as often as you like (and I quote "if you want to do it once a month or every other month that's fine or if you want to do it weekly that works too", I thought weekly was a little too often?). That wasn't the real issue though it was sort of a sidenote that I didn't put much stock in, I'm pretty content with the system we have for now.

I'm a little more worried about his other responses though because he doesn't seem to be very proactive about treatment. He didn't seem interested in having my old vet sending Kaidan's x-rays up here or taking new ones, he took the stance that "If he doesn't seem like he's in much pain then I think you should just stick with glucosamine daily and Rimadyl when we go on longer walks or when he seems to not be doing well. When he checked out Kaidan's teeth, he noted the problems with them and asked if we had them checked out before and I explained that our last vet said he likely had a virus or something (she suggested possibly distemper) at some point as a puppy while he was developing which caused the ridges on each tooth as well as the lack of enamel. He agreed with that and I mentioned we've been brushing his teeth regularly but our last vet recommended a cleaning coming up soon. He disagreed and again pretty much just said to keep doing what we're doing.

I'm not really sure what to think. I mean, if he is right then that's wonderful, the less surgery etc. we need to put him through the better. I'm just thrown off by the stark contrast from my last vet. The last vet recommended glucosamine+Rimadyl to see how it works, and if it helped then great but we would definitely need to reevaluate and consider something more serious/permanent after about a year (which is where we're at now). I liked her methods of seeing how things went but reevaluating to make sure something more wasn't needed and it seems that this vet is writing it off and just having us stick to what we've done. Don't get me wrong, if what we're doing is really the best thing we can then I think that's amazing and we'll stick with it, I'm just worried we might miss something doing it this way and that he'd end up in more pain overall. :ohdear: I'm thinking about finding another vet in the area to get a second opinion.

And holy poo poo sorry that was so long. I'll have pictures up soon of Kaidan exploring the new (and much larger) backyard. :3:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
Hey Primitive Breed goons.

I was told I should drop by to introduce my 2 year old Miniature American Eskimo to the thread. Her name is Roxy and she's everything I could want in a dog.

We just adopted her off of a woman who adopted her from an SPCA in her area. Her cats didn't take well to Roxy, so we opted to give her a good and loving home.

So far she's been nothing short of an angel!

She loves to cuddle and sleep apparently, though the 2 hour drive probably stressed her out and made her tired. I imagine tomorrow, she'll be a holy terror. But she's just so damned :3:.

And so far, she hasn't bothered Wikus the cat too much. Though he's not impressed that this white fluffy thing has come into the apartment.

But how can you not love this face?

CatStacking fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 30, 2010

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

cuntvalet posted:

ESKIE!

Heeee, Eskie! I love love love them ever since my husband's Eskie Hawk. :3: He was a standard, so a bit bigger, but I just can't get over their happy face and fluffy coat.

rivals posted:

Vet stuff

Yeah, I think I'd just go seek a second opinion, just in case. Weren't there a lot of suggestions in a thread for you being in The Bay area? Maybe Foxy can suggest somewhere.

Also, I still need pictures, sir. :colbert:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

paisleyfox posted:

Yeah, I think I'd just go seek a second opinion, just in case. Weren't there a lot of suggestions in a thread for you being in The Bay area? Maybe Foxy can suggest somewhere.

I know the East Bay pretty well, but I think Rivals is in the South Bay? PM me if you want any recs though, rivals, I'd be happy to help Kaidan out. :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah south bay now, I grew up in the east bay though and I don't mind travelling a little if it means a great vet. Will shoot you a PM a little later :3:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Pure concentrated evil lies behind these eyes...

Hidden by a layer of fluffy cuteness.

Bonerclese
Apr 28, 2007
BONERCLESE CARES NOT FOR BEANS!
Where's the Chow Chow love?

The day I brought Wong home. He was so exhausted he didn't care that I stacked toys on him.

Exhausted on his first day again.

Around 3 months old

Shedding in the summer.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Bonerclese posted:

Where's the Chow Chow love?

I think you're the only one here with one. Post more pics/info!

Bonerclese
Apr 28, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

I think you're the only one here with one. Post more pics/info!

Wong (my Chow) was born in a litter of four pups. Both the parents were red chows but only one pup came out red. The rest were cream.

The red pup died a few hours after it was born. Apparently it's lungs didn't clear out properly and were still filled with liquid. The white ones reigned supreme

The mother with one of Wongs brothers

They quickly became huge fluff balls. Wong is in the middle.

Hipstamatic Chow Chow

After a few minutes of resisting, he gives in and wore the sunglasses with pride.

Just got back from the vet and still on meds. His dewclaw broke and had to get it removed.

I thought his aloofness and independence was a Chow trait but I guess it's a primitive breed thing. We call out his name and tell him to come but instead he stops, looks back, gives a "what up?" look, then continues doing his own thing.

The vet said that he is the most friendly chow he has ever seen and so has everyone else who has met him. The weirdest thing though is that he's afraid of going up and down stairs that are more than 3-4 steps high. It could be his back legs being completely straight that makes it hard for him to climb stairs? Also he has no interest in any dog toys and hates peanut butter. Weird dog but I LOVE HIM.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

Bonerclese posted:

The mother with one of Wongs brothers

That is one proud mamma floof. And BABY FLOOFS. Oh god. I'm not a fan of chows but those coats make me wanna roll around on a giant cloud kingdom made of these giant puffballs. :3:

Bonerclese posted:

Just got back from the vet and still on meds. His dewclaw broke and had to get it removed.
:byodame: OH GOD YOU DE[W?]CLAWED YOUR PET
Nah, sorry to hear. ;.; At least it's OK now. Did he catch it on something or did it just split? I always worry about my dog's dewclaws, they seem so flimsy..

My dog is primitive in the sense that sometimes I think she runs on "reptile brain" mode, like some prehistoric proto-dog.

Bonerclese
Apr 28, 2007
Our best guess is that he broke it on the fence while chasing a raccoon in the backyard. 500 bucks for the surgery and insurance only paid 120. Sometimes I wonder if it's really worth it...

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

^^The general consensus of PI is that pet insurance is rarely if ever worth the money you put into it. You'd probably be better off with just a nice savings account for emergencies.

Bonerclese posted:

After a few minutes of resisting, he gives in and wore the sunglasses with pride.

That's not pride. That's resignation and a desire to murder you :3:

The stairs thing sounds like he may have hip issues. Have you had the vet check him out for that? Large breed dogs with straight back legs usually end up with some kind of issue, and since he's young you can probably nip it in the bud now, or at least help him out a bit.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Definitely consider getting his hips checked out. My husky has hip dysplasia and you'd never know by watching him walk and run. Our vet didn't even think x-rays were necessary but there was something a little off about the way he'd walk up stairs and do things like get on the bed, couch or in the car. Also Wong is adorable as gently caress.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Bonerclese posted:

I need to mush all of these puppy faces. :3: Oh my god, Chows are just too adorable.

In puppy-related news, my rescue might be picking up 8 Shiba or Jindo mixes next week. They're around 4-6 weeks old judging by the picture (found in woods, mom died from a car hit.) Oh my god where will we put them all? :stare:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

paisleyfox posted:

I need to mush all of these puppy faces. :3: Oh my god, Chows are just too adorable.

In puppy-related news, my rescue might be picking up 8 Shiba or Jindo mixes next week. They're around 4-6 weeks old judging by the picture (found in woods, mom died from a car hit.) Oh my god where will we put them all? :stare:

On the bed! You don't need a bed, the puppies need a bed. Think of the puppies! :neckbeard:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

In a box. Addressed to me. SHIBA PARTY :3:

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Bonerclese posted:

We call out his name and tell him to come but instead he stops, looks back, gives a "what up?" look, then continues doing his own thing.

I managed to capture this look on camera for my dog one day. I posted it in this thread a few months ago let's see if I can dig it up again:

Here it is! From my photodump in this post. I called his name and he's considering whether or not to come back. (He didn't.)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Is waffleimages down? I wanna see chowchowsssss :saddowns:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Not a chowchow, but I humbly offer my demon dog for your amusement.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

paisleyfox posted:

As soon as I read this I started huffing "myhousemyhousemyhouse" under my breath without realizing it. While that seems impractical, I will need to see pictures. Of each and every one :3:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I've read through this thread with great joy and amusement. My sister has two Pomeranians, which are about as primitive as any toy breed ever could be. One is a total head-case because of neglect and literally no socialization, but the other is the purest snot-nosed primitive prick you can imagine. He does the whole "I heard you call, maybe I'll come, maybe I won't" thing, as well as vindictive peeing. Until I met Lenny, I did not know dogs were capable of peeing simply to piss you off. Lenny looks straight in your face with an expression of pure disdain and pees on the floor. He's housetrained and definitely knows better.

Romeo, the psychological shut-in, who cannot have my pizza.

Lenny. He doesn't much look like a standard Pom, but he's cute when he's not being an rear end in a top hat.

And now, a question! I was looking through an interesting magazine the other day, and they were spotlighting a breed I'd never heard of, the Klee Kai. Is this a legit breed, or was it just this one woman trying to size down a husky? It's not recognized by the AKC, but neither was the border collie until very recently, so that doesn't mean much. They're kind of...odd-looking.

FAKE EDIT: Urgh, the original breeder's website grosses me out. On it, she says that it was all for the purpose of her "dream of recreating one little miniature husky." So, no, it's complete aesthetics and no real purpose at all, then.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah Klee Kais have really no purpose at all that I'm aware of and they are just ~*~*OMG MINI HUSKIES*~*~. When I was talking to one of my old coworkers about my dogs one of them came up and said "OMG Is he a mini Husky!?!? I WANT ONE SO BADLY TO CARRY AROUND IN MY PURSE OMG THEY ARE SO CUTE". :fuckoff:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

rivals posted:

Yeah Klee Kais have really no purpose at all that I'm aware of and they are just ~*~*OMG MINI HUSKIES*~*~. When I was talking to one of my old coworkers about my dogs one of them came up and said "OMG Is he a mini Husky!?!? I WANT ONE SO BADLY TO CARRY AROUND IN MY PURSE OMG THEY ARE SO CUTE". :fuckoff:

Oddly enough, that's why people want Shibas sometimes. Espeically the B&T or creamie ones. Because they think they will totes be cool and small and love them forever. :j:

And then we get people like this one lady in Houston who adopted a Shiba, later found out it was a Shiba she adopted, flipped her poo poo, then called everywhere saying she couldn't have it and then took it back to the shelter after contacting us and other rescues about them. All in the same day. :stare:

Also, no puppies. :( They found them a few other rescues to step up as well, so our services weren't needed. Maybe next time!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

ButWhatIf posted:

FAKE EDIT: Urgh, the original breeder's website grosses me out. On it, she says that it was all for the purpose of her "dream of recreating one little miniature husky." So, no, it's complete aesthetics and no real purpose at all, then.

omg, is THAT what people are always talking about "miniature huskies"? I was always too scared to google it, whenever I bring up my dad's old huskies EVERY SINGLE TIME the person I'm talking to goes ZOMG HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE MINIATURE HUSKIES THEYZ SOOOO CUUUUUUTE ZOMG

I'm weirdly unconvinced on this whole smaller = better thing, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. I used to ride those huskies like ponies when I was a toddler. WOLF STEEDS! :black101:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Got a photo dump inspired by my new puppy, including current and past dogs I've owned.

First, Sophie, the akita I grew up with:

Second, Kuma, another akita we got after Sophie died:

Third, Ike, my girlfriend's 6 year old husky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppTioSCkdCs

Ike with my girlfriend's parents' huskies, Lex and Nikita:

And finally, Juno, our 9 week old shiba:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDtKo8qu7SU

Pictures of Juno coming, images are taking a bit to upload...

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Yessssss I saw your dogs in the Post your pet thread and hoped you would come in here. Such lovely doggies. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

OMG so many of those pictures of Ike look like Giant Husky Koji. My husband laughed and kept saying "Hey, Koji! You got so big!"

In other words, that dog makes amazing faces and lies in the best positions. :D

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Alright, now some pictures of Juno:

I've got my fingers crossed, knocking on wood, because this puppy has been far too perfect so far. She has peed in her crate once, which was our fault because we accidentally left her in her crate for too long the first night. She whined and cried a lot the first night, but is already voluntarily going and sleeping in her crate without encouragement. We've been taking her out to pee after eating and after she wakes up, and she pees almost immediately every time without prompting. Super relaxed when you pick her up, very cuddly, but is playful when running around on the ground.

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop here... at some point something has to go wrong, right?

edit: don't know what's going on with the embedded photos, if they look hosed up just click the link and get the full photo

Steve French fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 6, 2011

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Steve French posted:

The Cuteness

Yeah, you're right, something terrible will probably go wrong, so you should definitely send her straight on over to me before you get too attached.

(OMG, want to snuggles :3:)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Steve French posted:

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop here... at some point something has to go wrong, right?

Heh heh, just wait until she starts teething. And that point in a few months where she decides you guys suck and she regresses a little in training of all sorts. Also, beware of PES, so keep posting pictures of her on a semi-frequent basis.

Don't worry, it happens to every Shiba puppy owner. They love to test you like that. :3: But it'll get better if you don't change the game plan.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

paisleyfox posted:

Heh heh, just wait until she starts teething. And that point in a few months where she decides you guys suck and she regresses a little in training of all sorts. Also, beware of PES, so keep posting pictures of her on a semi-frequent basis.

Don't worry, it happens to every Shiba puppy owner. They love to test you like that. :3: But it'll get better if you don't change the game plan.

PES? Is that an actual thing that I'm not aware of, or is that just you saying you want to see more pictures in the future?

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Our shiba basically taught herself to pee outside pretty quickly, sure there were accidents every now and then but as long as she got walked she did good. She doesn't even like to pee or crap in the yard... then came the heel biting :D

Saw this as a related video to the clip of Ike in the snow and it's pretty much the best thing I've seen all day. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvjJE9VUKIE

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Saw this as a related video to the clip of Ike in the snow and it's pretty much the best thing I've seen all day. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvjJE9VUKIE

I have this conversation with my dog at least twice a day.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Steve French posted:

PES? Is that an actual thing that I'm not aware of, or is that just you saying you want to see more pictures in the future?

You've really never heard of Puppy Explosion Syndrome? :ohdear:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

SHIBA PUPPY SHIBA PUPPY SHIBA PUPPY oh god

ButWhatIf posted:

I've read through this thread with great joy and amusement. My sister has two Pomeranians, which are about as primitive as any toy breed ever could be.

Interrupting my puppy sperg to say yes, you are correct in this statement. I don't post Keeper (my Pom) in here too much since we monopolize my own thread, but Poms are by far the most primitive toy breed. Pugs and Pekes may be older and more ancient, but Poms have only recently been bred down to size and as such have the temperament of many of the breeds listed here, including Mals and Akitas. I would describe them as ranging in temperament from American Eskimo (sweet and biddable but perhaps a bit anxious about strangers) to Akita (gently caress you i don't do what you tell me :mad: ) depending on socialization/individual personality.

Klee Klais are just bullshit chi/husky/pom mixes; why not go for the real thing and get a Pom? A purebred from a show breeder is going to be about as primitive in temperament as you could ever want, and they don't top out at over 7lbs when they're well bred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Steve French posted:

Alright, now some pictures of Juno:

Oh my god they're even cuter as puppies. Why don't I have a shiba right this second. Where is my shiba. I want my shiba.

• Locked thread