Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LOO posted:

I've seen a cigarette ignite a bucket of JP-4, though it was about 95ºF out, and I'm sure there was a layer of fuel vapor on top of the fuel.

I've also seen a combuster burn-through (bad fuel nozzle) on a B-52G that melted the fuel flow transmitter, cut a hole in the firewall between #5 & #6 engines. The crew pulled the fire-wall shut-off and luckily the fire went out (B-52G's have no engine fire extinguishing system), and they landed the aircraft safely.

I've only heard about the cigarette tricks with whatever special fuel the SR-71 drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

BonzoESC posted:

I've only heard about the cigarette tricks with whatever special fuel the SR-71 drinks.

The SR-71 is fueled by JP-7, which was developed specifically for the Blackbird.

It's got a flash point of 140°F, and is apparently very slippery, which makes that whole "leaks on the ground because the panels don't fit until they heat up" thing pretty hilarious in hindsight.

Wikipedia says the whole dropping a match thing was started by Ben Rich (Kelly Johnson's successor), but it holds true for all low volatility fuels like kerosene (which most jet fuel is based on) and diesel.

Also, interesting note: the first fuel they were going to use for the Blackbird was coal slurry, but the coal particles were determined to be a damage risk to engine parts. They next considered was liquid hydrogen, but the cryogenic requirements to contain it were just too much for the aircraft.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

ApathyGifted posted:

The SR-71 is fueled by JP-7, which was developed specifically for the Blackbird.

It's got a flash point of 140°F, and is apparently very slippery, which makes that whole "leaks on the ground because the panels don't fit until they heat up" thing pretty hilarious in hindsight.

Wikipedia says the whole dropping a match thing was started by Ben Rich (Kelly Johnson's successor), but it holds true for all low volatility fuels like kerosene (which most jet fuel is based on) and diesel.

Also, interesting note: the first fuel they were going to use for the Blackbird was coal slurry, but the coal particles were determined to be a damage risk to engine parts. They next considered was liquid hydrogen, but the cryogenic requirements to contain it were just too much for the aircraft.

I don't think I'll ever get sick of hearing about that drat plane...

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

Lilbeefer posted:

This. If you couldn't listen to Blackbird stories all day, get out :colbert:

My dad was a navigator on KC-135s, and when I was a kid he was stationed at Kadena AB in Okinawa. A few times a month we'd get SR-71 flyovers on the elementary school playground as they came in to land. This is approximately the coolest thing in the world that can happen to a seven-year-old.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I think this space shuttle video belongs in this thread. I would love for a blu-ray (or hell, even a DVD) of this video. It's called "Ascent - Commemorating Shuttle" and it's 45 narrated minutes of a shuttle launch from multiple angles.

Lilbeefer posted:

And this. I wish I could have seen one of these in flight, or hell, even been there to see the engines running in person. One of these days I'll lose my senses and buy Sled Driver.
(Less than 50 new copies left on the Sled Driver website)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fire Storm posted:

One of these days I'll lose my senses and buy Sled Driver.
(Less than 50 new copies left on the Sled Driver website)

Holy poo poo, $500 wtf.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Plinkey posted:

Holy poo poo, $500 wtf.

Even worse: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sled-Driver-Flying-Worlds-Fastest-Jet-Brian-Shul-/110623249202

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Even worse: http://www.amazon.com/Sled-Driver-Flying-Worlds-Fastest/dp/0929823087

Hardcover, 2003: New from $2,495.95

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Even worse:

I can safely say that even though that book looks pretty bad-rear end. I will never own a copy.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I checked out a copy of Sled Driver from my local library system. While it was a good read, I'd never pay more than $50 for it unless it was one of the limited editions. The book was a lot of color commentary (and really nice photos) about flying the Blackbird, but the book was lacking in specifics. It was a fairly whimsical book, describing the thoughts of the pilot. While I very much enjoyed the book, I was hoping for more intimate details about missions, the history of the planes, and de-classified stories.

I was very disappointed in this regard.

It's an interesting and amazing book, for sure, but don't believe the hype. Have the book transferred to your library and read it.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 16, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Most of that stuff will be classified for at least another quarter century.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Why is the book able to fetch such a high price and not get reissued? Is there some sort of legal issue? Someone should just grab one of the library copies and scan it.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
That's not really the point. e: the $300 NIB asking prices are 'reasonable', it's a desirable coffee table book for some people and is permanently out of print. The $2500 prices mean it's become some sort of status symbol, for what reason, I do not know. I've told my GF that Sled Driver would be a great present, but under no circumstances to pay over $50 for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The publisher is out of their minds not to reprint it.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
gently caress YEAH AARDVARK gently caress YEAH

:rock:

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 16, 2010

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Also, back on the correct subject of this thread - Project Oxcart and Operation Tagboard...

Here are some remains of a D-21 in a Chinese museum.

quote:

The Lockheed D-21 was a Mach 3+ reconnaissance drone. The drone was originally designed to be launched off the back of its A-12-based M-21 aircraft.Only four operational flights were made over the People's Republic of China before the program was cancelled in 1971.This wreckage was collected by PLA when its last operation in 20 March 1971, during this operation the D-21B #527it malfunctioned and crashed in a forest

If you guys like collecting SR-71/A-12 literature, call up the CIA headquarters in Langley and ask them to send you their publicity material on the A-12. I think I already posted about it in this thread, but they send you a 60-page book for free!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I picked up my copy of sled driver from amazon for like 20 bucks, shipped :slick:

I'd copy some pages and upload, but I'm pretty sure that'd be :filez:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boomerjinks posted:

gently caress YEAH AARDVARK gently caress YEAH
Pretty impressive amount of aerodynamic fuckery going on here :)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The Aardvark was so ugly it was cool.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Godholio posted:

The publisher is out of their minds not to reprint it.
It would seem that what they should really do is reprint it and not tell anyone. That "Only XX copies remaining" has got a lot of profitable life left in it before anyone cottons on.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

It would seem that what they should really do is reprint it and not tell anyone. That "Only XX copies remaining" has got a lot of profitable life left in it before anyone cottons on.
They could milk it by letting the last of the high-margin first-printing copies sell, and then after a while dump a lower-quality second printing for cheap.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Or spend an afternoon with a scanner and put in on Kindle store. I think the publisher is bankrupt, that's what it says in a Brian Shul signed comment on the Amazon page.

But what's that you say? You'll be fine as long as you get a 1 hour BBC documentary about WW1 aviation? Oh go on then. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaHgxg1m74s

edit: it's actually about WW1 in general based on footage taken from a blimp right after the war, but seems great nonetheless.

Ola fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 17, 2010

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

ApathyGifted posted:

They next considered was liquid hydrogen, but the cryogenic requirements to contain it were just too much for the aircraft.

The liquid hydrogen idea was actually what started the Blackbird project.

In the mid 1950's, the CIA became concerned that the USSR was building a hydrogen powered airplane, based on intelligence that an expert in the stuff had been released from a Gulag to work on a secret project.

In response, the CIA told the Skunk Works to work on an airplane powered by the same stuff, despite the fact that no one really knew what to do with liquid hydrogen at that point, and there wasn't a lot of research done on the substance.

To do the needed research, Lockheed built a secret tank farm at the Burbank airport, and ended up storing several thousand gallons of a murderously touchy explosive in the middle of a populated area without telling anyone about it.

Skunk Works engineers figured out that it would be possible to build a hydrogen powered airplane, but their design would have been about the size of a 747 (most if it being fuel), and even then it couldn't cross the continental US without refueling. Since mid-air refueling with liquid hydrogen was going to be pretty much impossible, the project was eventually scrapped.

In 1957, the CIA finally figured out what the Soviets were actually doing, when the USSR launched Sputnik, atop a rocket that used liquid hydrogen as a fuel.

A few years later, the early work on the hydrogen spyplane was resurrected and eventually turned into the A-12/SR-71 program.

NotYella
Nov 27, 2002
drunk jackass
Sputnik's launcher used liquid oxygen and kerosene as fuel, the first launcher to use liquid H2 was the shuttle.

routlej1
Apr 1, 2010

NotYella posted:

Sputnik's launcher used liquid oxygen and kerosene as fuel, the first launcher to use liquid H2 was the shuttle.

Getting in here first before the wave of fellow pedants.

The Saturn V used liquid H2 as a propellant in its upper stage, the SII:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-II

I'm going to hide until I have something contructive to say now. Sorry.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Fun thread, but needs more home-built. Choose one and start today!

Here's the Falco that the carbon fiber beauty Ola posted a few pages back is based on:

The structure (spars, skin, ribs etc) is wooden. No tube frame here. "Wood??" you say in horror, "That's madness!". This is a fully aerobatic plane, though. This one ditched in a Canadian river after clipping a tree. More damage was (arguably) inflicted by sitting in the river for a month then the crash itself.

With the retractable gear and complex laminated structure, it's not really a beginner's project, though.

What else?
So there's the Pitts, of course:

Or one of the many Vans craft, all beautiful metal kit planes:

(they were ok!)

A classic, such as the Pietenpol. Some say the original home-built:

Or a modern take on the classic look, such as the Flitzer (a personal favorite):

Then there's a way to get your warbird kicks without shelling out millions:

This beauty:

Or a nice, easy, pressurised turbo prop:

And to finish, why not a chopper?

Plus there's many, many insane designs out there. Burt Rutan (Spaceship 1 etc) cut his teeth in the home-built design market, and if you can't find something you like there's always building your own design.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

For those that care, Google Maps has updated it's photos of Davis Monthan AFB's boneyard with higher resolution photos.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=32.161415,-110.858727&spn=0.000959,0.00142&z=20

Edit: Changed link

LOO fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 21, 2010

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Catering truck experiences hydraulic failure, renders A380 inop.
Emirates Airlines not amused.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

tripsevens posted:

Someones insurance just went up

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I've been really out of it for a while, so I'll post this from my wedding:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Advent Horizon posted:

That's really, really loving cool. I'm still lobbying for a helicopter to fly me away from my ceremony in July. Currently the girl insists that her dress will be "too big" for a helicopter.

Also.... glorious

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boomerjinks posted:

That's really, really loving cool. I'm still lobbying for a helicopter to fly me away from my ceremony in July.
I really hope you mean "us".

quote:

Currently the girl insists that her dress will be "too big" for a helicopter.
Well, search and rescue craft have the facility to carry loads underslung from the winch...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

tripsevens posted:

Bwahaha I know exactly where that is, too. Like gate 30, Pearson International. Every time I've flown out of Term1, that Emirates A380 has been sitting there. Bet it's the same registration number too.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

InitialDave posted:

I really hope you mean "us".

That's really funny. I didn't proofread at all, almost as if....

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MA-Horus posted:

Bwahaha I know exactly where that is, too. Like gate 30, Pearson International. Every time I've flown out of Term1, that Emirates A380 has been sitting there. Bet it's the same registration number too.

Hah. The REAL REASON the UAE has been so pissed off at Canada lately is finally revealed!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Advent Horizon posted:

I have fueled that exact plane many, many times.

Edit: Nice xtratuffs.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 5, 2011

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Chinese stealth aircraft prototype?

Article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703808704576061674166905408.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

I love the wee-tiny tail surfaces on both this and the T-50. Will be fascinated to see what they end up doing for cost control on all the 5th generation projects. Will the Indians building a Russian design be able to hold anything like a schedule, will the chinese build more than 5, etc. etc.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 6, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

LOO posted:

For those that care, Google Maps has updated it's photos of Davis Monthan AFB's boneyard with higher resolution photos.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=32.161415,-110.858727&spn=0.000959,0.00142&z=20

Edit: Changed link

So wait, did the satellite actually catch that Sikorsky in flight?

Also; http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=32.175031,-110.867393&spn=0.007129,0.015525&z=17

Apparently the Air Force has money in the budget to maintain a golf course in the loving desert :psyduck:

Any idea what these are? http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=32.169389,-110.866619&spn=0.00063,0.00097&z=21 Obviously experimental aircraft of some kind, just kind of surprising to see them in a boneyard.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Geoj posted:

Any idea what these are? http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=32.169389,-110.866619&spn=0.00063,0.00097&z=21 Obviously experimental aircraft of some kind, just kind of surprising to see them in a boneyard.

Looks like the Lockheed D-21/M-21 drone.