Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Yeah, I finally got around to Who Charted last week and didn't regret it. It's definitely staying in my regular podcast lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
A little behind, but Jackie Kashian was a really good episode of WTF. I really expected to hate her, because she was loving insufferable on Doug Loves Movies, but she was mellow and interesting and not making the worst nerd jokes every 2 loving seconds.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

bananasinpajamas posted:

I can't fault Havey for the joke, though. Before Andrew's suicide, Jimmy would say "kill yourself" pretty much every other episode to someone.

There are a handful of moments in seasons 2-6 where I remember feeling incredibly bad because there is some overt reference to suicide and specifically Andrew killing himself. gently caress I really shouldn't have gone back and listened to all of those episodes, it makes the lack of Andrew even worse.

Good episode though, I really hope 2011 is better for the NNF crew.

edit; after relistening Matt definitely stopped it from getting worse by calling Dan (my bad) a junkie. Good times.

redz fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 1, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

redz posted:

There are a handful of moments in seasons 2-6 where I remember feeling incredibly bad because there is some overt reference to suicide and specifically Andrew killing himself. gently caress I really shouldn't have gone back and listened to all of those episodes, it makes the lack of Andrew even worse.

Good episode though, I really hope 2011 is better for the NNF crew.

edit; after relistening Matt definitely stopped it from getting worse by calling Elliot a junkie. Good times.

Can somebody please share the drama/dramabomb?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

redz posted:

edit; after relistening Matt definitely stopped it from getting worse by calling Elliot a junkie. Good times.

He called Dan a junkie. :colbert:

Allen Havey, the newest guest on NNF, jokingly asked Jimmy if he seriously considered suicide and then went around the room asking everyone if they did. Dan responded then Matt said he was also a junkie. It all was dropped after that very quickly because I assume Allen realized he stepped on something he shouldn't have.

hmm... just checked the video. Matt looked like he just threw that out there. Doesn't look as awkward as I made it out to be.

E: Boba Fett Hoodie. :D

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 1, 2011

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

NecronSchmecron posted:

Yeah, I finally got around to Who Charted last week and didn't regret it. It's definitely staying in my regular podcast lineup.

a winter fairy's melting a snowman

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

To anyone who quit on The Nerdist, I suggest you give it another shot. The last two episodes have been hilarious, and the Billy West interview was great.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Kodo posted:

a winter fairy's melting a snowman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkwa8RKOvaU

A WINTER FAIRY IS MELTING A SNOWMAN

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

bananasinpajamas posted:

Heads up, new Smartest Man in the World is up.

Greg Proops is a master raconteur. This show is so loving good.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

To anyone who quit on The Nerdist, I suggest you give it another shot. The last two episodes have been hilarious, and the Billy West interview was great.

The "Comedians you should know" episode was overall really good. Kumail Nanjianin killed it. His joke about indian scientists in horror movies had me laughing so hard I almost had to pull over so I wouldn't drift into oncoming traffic. Well played sir.

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 3, 2011

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Comedy Death Ray - the TV show. Premieres tonight on IFC :stare:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

bananasinpajamas posted:

Comedy Death Ray - the TV show. Premieres tonight on IFC :stare:

Whoa, thanks for the heads up. Never knew there was going to be one.

e: Doesn't show up on the cable guide for tonight or tomorrow. You sure it was this week?

The new Paul F. Tompcast is up, by the way.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 3, 2011

nah
Mar 16, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

Whoa, thanks for the heads up. Never knew there was going to be one.

Yeah, neither did I. Just found out on CDR-Radio today. Ya think that'd be something he talks about more.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Undead Radio for the New Year! Yay! http://www2.kisw.com/listen/category/Undead+Radio

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

DangerDummy! posted:

e: Doesn't show up on the cable guide for tonight or tomorrow. You sure it was this week?

It doesn't show up on mine either, but I'm watching IFC and I saw a commercial for it and it said January 3rd.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
What I gathered from some minor googling at work about the CDR TV Show is that its a show in between older shows, sort of like Dinner And A Movie is a show in between movies? I think the older shows are Larry Sanders and Mr. Show.

I could be wrong though.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Wyld Cannon posted:

What I gathered from some minor googling at work about the CDR TV Show is that its a show in between older shows, sort of like Dinner And A Movie is a show in between movies? I think the older shows are Larry Sanders and Mr. Show.

I could be wrong though.

I believe you're right. From Comedy Death Ray's website:

"Join IFC three nights a week for a 90 minute comedy block of your favorite rescued shows, featuring all new comedy segments with host Scott Aukerman of Comedy Death Ray and some of your favorite comedians offering insights and behind the scenes stories on these cult classics."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Essentially, yes. Scott interviews people involved in the shows, most of whom have been on CDRR before. First up, this week, is Sarah Silverman, according to Scott's twitter today.

But that's not really CDRTV. In the IFC blog post (and I guess on CDRR today but I haven't listened to it) he reveals that he and Patton have a pilot in to Fox currently that might get made, is either a comedy or a drama and will (Maybe!) be titled "Comedy Death Ray!" because exclamation points make people want to watch things.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Rudy Riot posted:

The new Who Charted was excellent. Natasha Leggero was hilarious and her comments on the music charts had me dying.

She's always good as a guest. I didn't really care for her podcast because of her boyfriend though.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Kim Jong Il posted:

She's always good as a guest. I didn't really care for her podcast because of her boyfriend though.

Eh. I like Duncan Trussell in a Joe Rogan sort of way...

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just want to say that Mike Detective rules.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
I laughed so hard at the Admiral Ackbar blow job that I almost hackneyed premise all over my cliche.

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

I laughed so hard at the Admiral Ackbar blow job that I almost hackneyed premise all over my cliche.

Patton Oswalt: The Goose that Laid the Mexican poo poo-Smeared $100 Dollar Bills.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

The_Rob posted:

I just want to say that Mike Detective rules.

Definitely. I hope it's a regular thing. Also, Patton needs to do more podcasts.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Definitely. I hope it's a regular thing. Also, Patton needs to do more podcasts.

Patton makes everything better.

If I ever get a chance to meet Rob Huebel I'm gonna get him to sign a copy of Patton's book.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
If anyone wants to see what Spike from The Best Show looks like, here's a youtube video he posted. Don't click if you want to keep it a mystery.

I wasn't expecting him to be black. I always pictured him looking like Tobin Bell or something.

I hope my mental image of Larry the Perv never gets spoiled.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Gotta pimp this out again because we were having FTP issues for a long time:
https://www.digitalporridge.net
RSS
iTunes

The first time I posted it we had a bunch of trouble with GoDaddy FTP and it wasn't possible to download many of the episodes.

I'd also like to hear any feedback if you listen, I'll be happy to listen to any new podcasts as well, I subscribe to a couple of podcasts from goons here.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah, the newest CDR didn't have any zany guests, did it? I kind of didn't notice.
Awesome awesome episode, an excellent start to the new year.
I tried to get my sister into CDR a few weeks ago, and she started with a previous Oswald episode, and I guess it was one with Little Gary, who she HATED, and it turned her off from the show completely. I need to make sure she hears this new one.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

krushgroove posted:

Gotta pimp this out again because we were having FTP issues for a long time:
https://www.digitalporridge.net
RSS
iTunes

The first time I posted it we had a bunch of trouble with GoDaddy FTP and it wasn't possible to download many of the episodes.

I'd also like to hear any feedback if you listen, I'll be happy to listen to any new podcasts as well, I subscribe to a couple of podcasts from goons here.

Hey, bud. I've been listening all week. It's pretty good. I'm interested in the interaction between you and your friend which is definitely keeping me interested. I've done the embarrassing laugh in pubic while listening which is a good sign in my book.

I am, however still having trouble downloading it. The same error from before pops up in iTunes and I haven't been able to listen to the christmas episode. I'll check back when I get home to see if the error was fixed.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NecronSchmecron posted:

Hey, bud. I've been listening all week. It's pretty good. I'm interested in the interaction between you and your friend which is definitely keeping me interested. I've done the embarrassing laugh in pubic while listening which is a good sign in my book.

I am, however still having trouble downloading it. The same error from before pops up in iTunes and I haven't been able to listen to the christmas episode. I'll check back when I get home to see if the error was fixed.

Whoa, that's awesome! We're making people laugh :) and embarassingly in public! Fantastic!

(boring side of doing a podcast follows) I've been testing the FTP over the past couple of weeks, I kept timing out of downloads, and we had to contact GoDaddy a couple of times to have them sort their poo poo out. I checked it earlier today, downloading all the episodes and then uploading a ZIP archive of the first 10 shows, and it all worked fast, so you should be able to download everything when you get home. I even checked it on iTunes on my work computer and a co-worker's computer and the latest shows downloaded OK.

Long story short, technical issues have been fixed :)

sambafish
Sep 24, 2008

If you havin' hull problems I feel bad for you son/
I got 99 problems, but a breach ain't one/

webster876 posted:

Yeah, the newest CDR didn't have any zany guests, did it? I kind of didn't notice.
Awesome awesome episode, an excellent start to the new year.
I tried to get my sister into CDR a few weeks ago, and she started with a previous Oswald episode, and I guess it was one with Little Gary, who she HATED, and it turned her off from the show completely. I need to make sure she hears this new one.

That's the show I started with and it turned me into a fan(that's also the episode with Brett Gelman's iBrain story). It really seems like Little Gary is the most polarizing of the CDR "characters".

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sambafish posted:

That's the show I started with and it turned me into a fan(that's also the episode with Brett Gelman's iBrain story). It really seems like Little Gary is the most polarizing of the CDR "characters".

When I first started listening to CDR I couldn't stand listening to Lil Gary, but the more I started listening to the show the more I kind of understood the tone of CDR, and the more he became one of my favorite characters on the show.

SeventhSeven
Jun 28, 2009
Just chiming in - others have mentioned this, but one of my fav. new podcasts to track with glee is:

http://www.mikeschmidtcomedy.com/podcast

Mike is one of the fastest brains out there... love to follow his tangents. The lady in the background is laughing at a more tolerable volume level now [than in older episodes]... which I appreciate. Still.... I even like the laughter sometimes... and I def. see how that feedback gives Mike what he needs to keep rolling (or remind him where he branched off from on that new tanget)... great stuff. :)

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I just started on Nerdist after hearing Chris Hardwick on DLM. Marc Maron was great, although he kinda whined about his career/life too much. Overall great episode though, I'll try following it as loyally as DLM.

Speaking of Marc Maron, what's the consensus on his podcast, WTF? I'm trying to expand on my podcasting horizons but I don't know where to go first. UYD doesn't really do it for me anymore, so I'm thinking of trying Never Not Funny or Comedy Film Nerds.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Yeticopter posted:

I just started on Nerdist after hearing Chris Hardwick on DLM. Marc Maron was great, although he kinda whined about his career/life too much. Overall great episode though, I'll try following it as loyally as DLM.

Speaking of Marc Maron, what's the consensus on his podcast, WTF? I'm trying to expand on my podcasting horizons but I don't know where to go first. UYD doesn't really do it for me anymore, so I'm thinking of trying Never Not Funny or Comedy Film Nerds.

I'm a big fan of WTF, though I admit it took me a while to get used to Maron's style. At first I was indifferent to his monologues, but I stayed for the interviews and eventually got used to it. It's too bad you can't access the back log without paying, but there are still some great interviews available, namely Louis CK part 1&2, Ira Glass, Paul Sheer, and most recently Bobby Lee (His MadTV story is insane). Marc's basically cataloging the whole of stand-up comedy so if nothing else listen for historical purposes.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Yeticopter posted:

WTF is my favourite comedy podcast by a long shot.
I am the guy who thought up Fuccaneers that he says at the beginning of every show.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Yeticopter posted:

I like WTF, it's a different style of comedy and doesn't do the 'this week in weird news' thing too much. If you like Adam Carolla's interview bits but don't like his repeated rants, WTF is right up your street I think.

I'm dropping Jordan Jesse Go for Uhh Yeah Dude (previously was listening to them both) because I can only have so much weekly comedy news to listen to, or commenting on celebrity lifestyles, etc., and there are other shows that I listen to that are not specifically comedy-related.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
WTF is definitely worth your time. Don't expect a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. It's closer to This American Life than a comedy podcast, but it's still funny and consistently interesting. It sucks that the iTunes feed only has the last 50, but more episodes going back to March are available here http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/category/podcasts

Recommendations:
Maria Bamford
Robin Williams
Tom Lennon
Judd Apatow 1 and part 2

The Bamford episode is a great starting point because it's an incredible and very honest interview and starts with a long Maron monologue where he goes through his escape from LA roadtrip and all the poo poo surrounding it. Robin Williams is in his non-manic mode and Tom Lennon talks about the screenwriting and studio process for formulaic kids movies. The Apatow episode includes tapes of him at age 16 interviewing Jerry Seinfeld about comedy.

e: Oh, the Mencia episode is up there too. That's worth a listen for when it goes from :smith: to :gonk:

Joementum fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 6, 2011

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeticopter posted:

I'm trying to expand on my podcasting horizons but I don't know where to go first.
Well given that everything except Never Not Funny is completely free to listen to, you could just download one of everything that's been mentioned and then listen to the ones you like

Another option that seems to be really popular is to find a podcast you hate and keep listening to it so you can bitch about it nonstop in this thread!

One thing I will say is if you listen to Comedy Film Nerds from the beginning, the audio quality is terrible for the first two or three shows, then gets massively better as they get good equipment. The show has really found its stride now, I love these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

If you're looking for a new podcast I definitely recommend The Bugle but maybe that's because I have a huge crush on John Oliver.

"BP spills out out oil like John Grisham makes novels, indiscriminately and at an incomprehensible scale."

• Locked thread