Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
That seems a bit narrow, I can think of a handful of photos where the main focus is anything but the face (some that don't even feature a face at all) that I would consider portraiture. I think a better definition might be somewhere along the lines of a work depicting a living (or perhaps dead) form where that work is expressive of the subject within the work and perhaps their environment. I think an image that uses a generic character or actor to express an idea then that is not necessarily a portrait unless the specific identity of that character is somehow manifested in the work. For example here's a couple photos by Jeff Wall

I would say that neither of these images are portraits because they are not so much about the people in them so much as the ideas they represent. Who the people are supposed to be is obvious, what's really under discussion in the image is the cultural ramifications of those characters. Incidentally, these photos are recreations and not candid though that has little to do with the point I'm making.

Here's a couple photo by Avedon that don't feature a face at all:

I think that these are portraits. Though the identity of the people under the clothes is irrelevant the images are study of form and movement that is specific to the human subject and their dress. So despite being anonymous the focus of the photos is one specific form. The images are uncomplicated by a real environment which makes them very powerful as a study but even if the subjects where placed on a street corner or in the woods or wherever they would still likely function as a portrait but with much more complex environmental interactions.

Also be careful about breaking down ideas into discreet categories a fashion, editorial, or documentary photograph are often portraiture as well and it's common that there is blurring of the lines between each category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I listened to this philosophical break down of portraiture. http://philosophybites.com/2010/09/cynthia-freeland-on-portraits.html

It's really interesting because she says that portraits require some effort on the part of the sitter to reveal some nature of themselves to the artist. I think it's a pretty good start when considering a portrait vs a scene with people in it.

To me a truly interesting portrait would reveal something about that person.

Twenties brings up good points about the difficulty of trying to categorize work with technical criteria.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
A portrait is an intersection of two subjectivities, the artist chooses how to make the image, and the subject represents themselves to the world/lens. you will be hard pressed to find any useful definition of portrait

I personally think a portrait is an attempt to reveal something about the subject, by the artist.

Geektechboy
Jan 29, 2008
Some pics of my nephew I was asked to take.

I'm pretty pleased with them overall. I missed focus slightly in the first one, and may have over sharpened the eyes to compensate.

IMG_6302 by gtb79, on Flickr

IMG_6298 by gtb79, on Flickr

IMG_6322 by gtb79, on Flickr

IMG_6339 by gtb79, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Cute kid and these are good shots, however the ambient could have been kicked up. He blends into the darkness a bit too much.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Does he have a massive growth on the top of his head? Is that why you keep cropping it out?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Jiblet posted:

Does he have a massive growth on the top of his head? Is that why you keep cropping it out?

It's completely acceptable to crop before the top of someone's head.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

McMadCow posted:

It's completely acceptable to crop before the top of someone's head.

It works in 1 out of 3 of his photos, in the other 2 it's simply jarring and was my first impression, that's all.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Jiblet posted:

It works in 1 out of 3 of his photos, in the other 2 it's simply jarring and was my first impression, that's all.

It seems to be acceptable in fashion photography, though it always rubs me the wrong way. Chopping off limbs is okay, but not part of the head please :ohdear:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Cross_ posted:

It seems to be acceptable in fashion photography, though it always rubs me the wrong way. Chopping off limbs is okay, but not part of the head please :ohdear:

Chopping limbs is ok, chopping at joints is not.

Although, yes, I'd still avoid chopping limbs when possible but I crop head-tops all the time.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

nothing like a good head crop.

like mcmadcow says the only real rule I'd say with cropping is to avoid joints.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Those are all great. And I don't think the ambient need be any different, it works.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Head cropping doesn't bother me. As long as you don't crop on or too close to a joint, you're probably okay.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

yeah - when the point of focus you want the image to have is the eyes then head cropping does a lot to emphasize them in size.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Doo doo doo - some pics for a local fitness instructor. LOTS OF LIQUIFY.

A few more @ my blog.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Ack! Shots 1 and 3 have some piece of fabric sticking out of the bottom of her shorts. This is why you bring along an assistant. :(

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

McMadCow posted:

Ack! Shots 1 and 3 have some piece of fabric sticking out of the bottom of her shorts. This is why you bring along an assistant. :(

As weird as it seems, the shorts are actually made that way. I was very confused.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Oprah Haza posted:

As weird as it seems, the shorts are actually made that way. I was very confused.

Really? Wow, color me confused as well, then. It looks like it's only happenning on one side of them, too.

Taz
Feb 21, 2006
woob woob
I was going to say you've made her face look like some kind of horrible doll but I suspect she did that to herself.

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002
Christmas present for my dad.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Glass Knuckles posted:

I mean, what is this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lith-Print

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I really like doing family portraits. I went by their house the week before to plan out where and what they wanted to shoot. The book they're reading is the boys favorite story book right now. Then we moved into their playroom, and finally Mom wanted photos of the baby girl in the crib which was handmade by Grandpa. I had them move it out of the nursery to a front room with big rear end windows.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I really like doing family portraits. I went by their house the week before to plan out where and what they wanted to shoot. The book they're reading is the boys favorite story book right now. Then we moved into their playroom, and finally Mom wanted photos of the baby girl in the crib which was handmade by Grandpa. I had them move it out of the nursery to a front room with big rear end windows.

That baby is really cute. Great work!

edit: I have something to ask all of you guys. A friend of mine is a well known commercial photographer. Chances are you have seen his work either on a billboard, the cover of a magazine, an album cover etc. He is without a doubt very talented and very skilled when it comes to lighting. Now recently I learned that he contracts out all of his "retouching" to a third party, he essentially shoots the photo himself then sends the raw photo to this guy who color corrects, edits, airbrushes etc, the works.

This seems a bit weird to me considering he is taking credit as photographer, and while I know that "Photographer" doesn't necessarily mean that he retouched and edited the photos himself, I was under the impression that was the case with most photographers. Being a photographer myself (professionally I might add) I would feel weird about having someone do all of my editing and then pass it off as 100% mine. My friend won't hide that he has someone who does this, but he doesn't exactly advertise it either.

Just to be clear, this isn't a simple color correcting, it is a full on thing. An example by a retoucher (not my friends photo):

Original:

Retouched:

Now this is a pretty light example of some of the retouching this guy does. Some of them you can't even tell it is the same photo. At times the original photos look like they were taken with a point and shoot and the final product is insane. Again, I cant stress enough that my friend is a great photographer, but the whole retouching thing just feels weird to me. Thoughts?

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 1, 2011

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
If I had a magic post-production lamp that would help me bring in more $$$ vs my competitors, I would rub feverishly and often.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

rear end is my canvas posted:

If I had a magic post-production lamp that would help me bring in more $$$ vs my competitors, I would rub feverishly and often.

Yeah but if that magic lamp required you to pay someone else to do everything beyond pressing the shutter release button, would you still do it?

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Yes, because the competition consist of-

A. Genies

B. Guys with lamps

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
At some level, you have to value your time, delegate weaknesses and play your strengths to grow your business. You can delegate post, scheduling, lighting, props, ect. To me the one thing you can't delegate is how you get the work in the first place and working with the subject to make the shot. His time is probably better spent building relationships and getting the next client. There's nothing wrong with a team effort either. All businesses have a chief rainmaker who gets the contracts then has multiple levels of support. I see it as natural way to take things to the next level. You can only do so much by yourself. In business, you do what you must to succeed and grow. On the other hand, I would not be comfortable filling an art gallery with images that I farmed out a majority of post processing as my own.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
In business, the thing that matters is final product. If you're sending out your photos for PP in order to get that, it's simply a cost of doing business.

Business and pleasure aren't always the same if that makes sense.

I don't know how to do hover-over images on the forums but here is a link with a recent example (from a few posts up) - click

I wouldn't send her that first picture... there was a bit (not a whole lot) of PP to be done. If I didn't have the knowledge of how to do it or if I simply didn't have the time/motivation to do it myself I would have definitely contacted a retoucher to do the job. It's simply a choice of whether or not the PP work is something you are capable of doing or even want to do.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 1, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A retoucher can be just another member of a creative team on a shoot - like a makeup artist or a hairstylist. I would be wary of a retoucher doing more than "retouching" though. I consider retouching and manipulation separate. the Redskins to Giants jersey is definitely manipulation to me.

I would see nothing wrong with contracting out a retoucher to do tedious stuff like skin or hair but I wouldn't want them making creative decisions like color tone etc.

Personally it does sketch me out a bit to end my own stuff to a retoucher, just because I like having control over the picture and I would feel it would affect my integrity as a photographer.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Bojanglesworth posted:

Thoughts?

Brad will chime in on this as well I'm sure, but it's just how things are done in this industry. The idea of a one man/woman master is not feasible in any career. What about using a camera you didn't make yourself? lights? how do you take credit for how attractive the person you shot is? What about just getting lucky with an amazing subject you didn't put together in a candid street?

I think retouchers should probably get billing as well somehow, but this is almost the same as a movie having Michael Bay's name all over it when thousands of other people did a lot of work too.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Ok, I feel a little better about it now. I guess the reason it seems weird to me is because I am not doing commercial photography, I am doing events, restaurants, and the occasional band, having a retoucher do any of my stuff would be stupid because its not a "this is the photo for the cover of a magazine" type of situation. It just struck me as kind of odd when he told me that he has a guy that does all of his editing.

To me part of being a photographer was doing everything from setting up lights to color correcting etc at the end of the shoot. I guess thats just not how it works in the commercial photography world. Although I have toyed with the idea of having a company retouch photos for me when I do weddings here and there, but hitting a group of photos with some color correcting and curves is a little different than adding in a new sky and background, and changing the clothing someone is wearing.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Bojanglesworth posted:

Although I have toyed with the idea of having a company retouch photos for me when I do weddings here and there, but hitting a group of photos with some color correcting and curves is a little different than adding in a new sky and background, and changing the clothing someone is wearing.

The problem with this reasoning is twofold. The first is the assertion/assumption that there is some such thing as purity or truth in photography. We've talked about it a lot, but nothing is lost when stuff is modified (well) in post. In fact many times things are added to meet the original vision. That's the minor problem, the bigger problem is that paying customers don't give a poo poo. They want the images they desire, be they flattering bridal portraits or a kick-rear end movie poster. The number of people it took, or the percentage of untouched pixels/film granules in the final matters not to them.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

To me part of being a photographer was doing everything from setting up lights to color correcting etc at the end of the shoot. I guess thats just not how it works in the commercial photography world. Although I have toyed with the idea of having a company retouch photos for me when I do weddings here and there, but hitting a group of photos with some color correcting and curves is a little different than adding in a new sky and background, and changing the clothing someone is wearing.

It is though. However you delegate when your production reaches a certain stage. You have an assistant to set up the lights, a digital tech to man a computer station, etc. Everything is subordinate to the photographer (or creative director). You give retouchers a brief to fill. You don't just hand off the images to them.

Your friend hands off to other people because he mostly gets paid for his vision/style which is more about the pictures he takes than the polish he gives them. He probably has a lot of control in the retouching.

While PIMM is right in that there is no truth and purity in photography, there is however control. As a vendor it's your responsibility to deliver the product to a client - and if getting the best/most efficient product involves farming it out to a retoucher so be it.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
I had a TFP shoot with a model off MM last week, so I could test out my new triggers. The shoot went really awkward, the model was crazy shy and didn't really open up despite our best efforts (I shoot with a friend for fun). I kind of feel like that effected a lot of the pictures, plus it was crazy cold and for some reason I decided it would be okay to shoot after sun-set (Which has never worked for me). On top of that, I discovered my Vagabond has decided to poo poo itself out, so rather than finally getting to try out two lights, I was stuck using just a 430exii. :smith:

Anyway, here's the only two shots I actually liked from the shoot, but I still feel like I could have done them better:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

This is my favorite portrait in a long time. It's my grandpa, but this is not representative of him at all really.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

AtomicManiac posted:

I had a TFP shoot with a model off MM last week, so I could test out my new triggers. The shoot went really awkward, the model was crazy shy and didn't really open up despite our best efforts (I shoot with a friend for fun). I kind of feel like that effected a lot of the pictures, plus it was crazy cold and for some reason I decided it would be okay to shoot after sun-set (Which has never worked for me). On top of that, I discovered my Vagabond has decided to poo poo itself out, so rather than finally getting to try out two lights, I was stuck using just a 430exii. :smith:

Anyway, here's the only two shots I actually liked from the shoot, but I still feel like I could have done them better:

The composition/crop bothers me in both of these. Lots of negative space on top but cutting off or nearly cutting off feet at the lower edges. That's the first thing that jumps out at me, tough to see past.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AtomicManiac posted:

Haha you're still cutting body parts. Also that second one is underexposed.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

AtomicManiac posted:

You're supposed to let the model bring a friend (if they want). I would imagine bringing a friend yourself would just be awkward unless they were full time assisting. I also agree with bob that the cropping is just awful; it's tight on the sides, the feet are cut, yet there is way too much negative space. That branch is also annoying. In the first photo her face is on the verge of blowing out, yet there isn't any shadow detail on her sweater. Considering you had someone there with you you should have made them hold a gobo or something to lower the exposure on her face. The flash is also very harsh and unflattering in both photos. The first photo it looks like the flash was on camera, which is rarely a good place for it when a photo is staged. Go buy a reflector and learn how to use it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

AtomicManiac posted:

Lighting is a bit flat in #1 but not horribly so. I think the pose is a little messed up, her legs are doing this crazy stuff and she's just holding her hands together behind a shrub. It sorta looks like one half of her is trying to be dramatic (her legs) and her top half is like "oh no, I'll be having none of that!"... including her face. She's an amateur model though, when it comes to expressions she's probably going to suck like most other amateur models do. Being shy doesn't help any... did she know you were going to bring another guy to photograph her?

#2 my main complaint (besides the exposure being messed up all throughout) is the shadow from her nose. Look at it. Stare at it. You won't ever do it again. LOOK AT THAT THING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Reichstag posted:

This is my favorite portrait in a long time. It's my grandpa, but this is not representative of him at all really.

Does the fact the photo isn't representative of the subject matter to the viewer in any way unless the subject is famous enough for the viewer to know them?