Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

rotinaj posted:

Annie is...

BATMAN.

Seeking revenge for her dead parent, she became an avenger to fight... herself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Annie is...

BATMAN.

Agreeable Employer posted:

*Cue Kat fans squeeing like imbeciles*

What bugs me is that at one point Tom mentioned that Surma's illness was something Annie couldn't get. Maybe he meant to say that Annie was not in a position to get it at the time Surma had it.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What bugs me is that at one point Tom mentioned that Surma's illness was something Annie couldn't get. Maybe he meant to say that Annie was not in a position to get it at the time Surma had it.

Or that it was a one time thing, which destroy the Phoenix theories. Or it might just have been because it's not an actual illness.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
He probably meant she couldn't catch it because it isn't infectious.

It's also possible that something has been done to Annie so this won't happen to her. Her dad was doing something in that hospital. But I suppose we shall find out, in time.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
Do we know for certain that Surma is Annie's biological mother? Have we seen any evidence in the comic, or has this question been asked on formspring?

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Surma looks so much like Annie that this is a very, very foolish question to ask, imo

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Sulevis posted:

Surma looks so much like Annie that this is a very, very foolish question to ask, imo

Yeah, the real question is whether Anthony is Annie's biological father, or if it's the obvious choice, Reynardine. :shepicide:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jones is Annie's biological father.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Tom has confirmed in numerous places that Surma was her biological mother and Anthony was her biological father and they had her in the usual way.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Sulevis posted:

Because nothing magical ever happens in this comic. Right.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Tom has confirmed in numerous places that Surma was her biological mother and Anthony was her biological father and they had her in the usual way.

Thank you.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

The 19th Person posted:

Yeah, the real question is whether Anthony is Annie's biological father, or if it's the obvious choice, Reynardine. :shepicide:

That seems to be the main gist of today's comments.

I don't know why I read those.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm gonna go with phoenix, since in addition to Surma burning out when Antimony is born, there's all the fire imagery associated with Antimony.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Annie has a living star for a brain that was gifted to her from her supernova mother. Also she's Magneto.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Rincewind posted:

I'm gonna go with phoenix, since in addition to Surma burning out when Antimony is born, there's all the fire imagery associated with Antimony.

Yeah, that was pretty much my logic. Although something like half-phoenix-half-human is more likely, I think.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Bonster posted:

That seems to be the main gist of today's comments.

I don't know why I read those.

"I will project my bestiality urges onto everything I see!"

-A Gunnerkrigg Court Commenter.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Renard-in-a-stolen-human-body being Annie's real dad has been a point of rampant fan speculation since long before I got into the comic (and I don't even remember how long ago that was). I thought they had given it up by now. :sigh:

Annie being a phoenix or something of the sort seems like the most logical assumption, but I'm not about to settle on it because Gunnerkrigg has surprised me so many times in the past that I fully expect it to do so again.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Tom ran a pretty entertaining Ustream last night. Thanks again, dude, I had a blast.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

dumb brunette posted:

Annie being a phoenix or something of the sort seems like the most logical assumption, but I'm not about to settle on it because Gunnerkrigg has surprised me so many times in the past that I fully expect it to do so again.

Watch, it'll be another mythical beast similar to a phoenix like a firebird or a huma to deny us our attempt at an exact guess.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Annie is a TickToc bird, that's why Kat's friends with her. Kat loves all robots.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CannonFodder posted:

Annie is a TickToc bird, that's why Kat's friends with her. Kat loves all robots.

And Kat loves all birds :ocelot:
Holy poo poo I'm joking. Really doubt Annie is a phoenix. Are phoenixes known for assuming human forms?

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

If Surma was a Phoenix given human form by the court and had a kid with another human (or human formed something or other), wouldn't that make Annie a mostly-human being, like Kat's bird boy in reverse? It would explain why her spirit self might have elements of phoenixy firepower, while she wouldn't necessarily inherit her mother's 'illness' or mythical beast qualities.

Edit: Maybe not by the court, but you know what I mean. They obviously have some kind of exchange program going on.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Might not be Surma, and might not be the Court. Could be sixteen generations back for all we know. But yeah, it's possible that Annie isn't going to have the same issue.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Jones is Annie's biological father.

Well, they're both robots. It just makes sense.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Annie is incapable of getting close to anyone, and hence will never be afflicted.

quote:

I just don't buy some people's insistence that Coyote is the Joker.

There is a sort of middle ground between lovable bumbling fool, and malevonent arch villain.

EDIT:

My theory on Annie is that Annie is descended from Jeanne and the elf-guy.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 1, 2011

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
No real theories as to what the big reveal is going to be, but I went to the Wikipedia article for Antimony just to see if I could glean anything useful. Turns out that one of Antimony's main uses is as a flame-retardant. Just thought that was sort of funny and ironic!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Just dug up the original question/answer pair. Assuming I've got the right one, Tom was asked if the illness could be passed down genetically to Annie, and the response was "as far as Anthony could tell, no.". There are holes in that you could drive a semi-truck through, were you inclined.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

"After all, how can you be human when you're.....

.... THE BIRTHDAY GIRL?!"

Coyote blows cheerfully on a noisemaker. It's the most involved birthday prank the Court has ever seen

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Dammit Who? posted:

Coyote blows cheerfully on a noisemaker. It's the most involved birthday prank the Court has ever seen

Roll on snare drum.

It is a good joke, everybody laughs.

Close curtain, end chapter.

Antimony's Journal.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh, man. I really want to see Coyote wearing a paper party hat and blowing on a noise maker. It would be so wonderful.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Jones pulls out her party hat from the previous chapter, Parley and Smitty teleport a hat onto Ysengrin.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

Calaveron posted:

Are phoenixes known for assuming human forms?

I'd initially say "Not really", but as usual Wikipedia has to say the opposite as usual. Of course that's Wikipedia so...

What's interesting though is that the Bennu, Egyptian equivalent of the Phoenix, is stated as "Guide of the Gods to the underworld". Hmmm... :raise:. Probably meaningless, but interesting

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Waiting for the "If Annie is a phoenix, does that mean Kat End is confirmed?" people to arrive. In the 'I don't want any child to suffer like I have' sense, I guess it'd make sense if she didn't want to have kids. It'd be like being prone to getting sick a lot or having cancer run in your family. Why would you want to pass on those genes to your kids?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Poor Anne.

If Jones wasn't a robot she'd be pretty sad right now.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Welp, phoenix confirmed.

Man, Annie is so confused.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends
Well, Annie is just having the best day ever, now ain't she?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm hoping Coyote will at least give some hint why Surma had Annie so young or something. I don't think this is the end of the plot revelations in this chapter and I think we may be in for another twist soon.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Coyote is so endearing in that last panel :3:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dammit Who? posted:

Surpriiise! All that homework WASN'T actually due! Happy birthday!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
At least those trees behind Coyote seem to be having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Waiting for the "If Annie is a phoenix, does that mean Kat End is confirmed?" people to arrive. In the 'I don't want any child to suffer like I have' sense, I guess it'd make sense if she didn't want to have kids. It'd be like being prone to getting sick a lot or having cancer run in your family. Why would you want to pass on those genes to your kids?

Unless Annie has no biological father, then it wouldn't really matter.