Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

draize_train posted:

This argument has come up several times in this thread before. Godfather Part II and Temple of Doom are some examples, but prequel films in themselves are rare, and most of them are just cheap and fast cash-ins like Dumb and Dumberer or various "baby" versions of popular franchises...

There's the answer! The prequel's should have focused on Jabba the Hutt's many adventures. That would obviously fit the spirit of Star Wars more then-oh..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Andorian Blues posted:

this, this a hundred times. TPM had actual location shots, it even had a single shot with no effects in it at all(!).

What shot was this? Someone walking around Tatooine, I'm guessing?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Every time I watch the prequels I think "Did George even rewatch the originals before he made these?!" There's just so much that contradicts the OT that I just had to believe he somehow forgot everything about the original movies. Now after watching the newest RLM review, specifically the montage of shots that George copied from the OT (it's like poetry), I can't use that excuse anymore. I just don't understand how he could analyze them so extensively and come out with that script.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I've thought for a long time that the Emperor should have been Julius Caesar-esque, who could turn into an evil space wizard later. The part where Plinkett is going over exactly how ridiculously evil the emperor looks and acts in ROTS is more or less exactly why it never struck true that he could turn a Republic into an Empire.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Pyroclastic posted:

And then they go and give enormous numbers for some things, like there being 20,000 Star Destroyers and a million member planets spread through 1000 sectors. Which brings in other problems: with 20,000 Star Destroyers, most of which should have still been around when the Empire died, each one capable of slagging unshielded worlds, how could a few hundred decades-old cruisers make a difference in Thrawn's war?

Yeah, this kind of scale really doesn't fit Star Wars, in my opinion. It's like they're trying to outdo Warhammer 40K. Now, I'm a tremendous nerd for 40K, but Star Wars shouldn't try to imitate it; 40K is purpose-built to be a setting where everything is huge and over-the-top and an individual, no matter how heroic, can have essentially no impact on the course of the galaxy. Star Wars, on the other hand, is explicitly a setting where one hero can save the galaxy, and a plucky band of rebels can defeat the mighty interstellar Empire - and that just doesn't fit well with there being a million planets.

I liked how, back in the Zahn trilogy, the discovery of 200 last-generation warships was a game-changer, and how the Republic was making GBS threads its collective pants over the thought of Thrawn being able to churn out ~1000 soldiers a day from his cloning facility. If there are a million planets, blowing up Alderaan has considerably less impact than if there were, at most, a couple of hundred highly developed worlds (Alderaan, Correlia, Coruscant, and so on). Then you could have a few thousand middling worlds and another few thousand (or maybe in the low tens of thousands) backwater planets like Tattooine and Wayland. That setting, in my mind, works with the theme of Star Wars much better than a huge 40K-style expansive setting.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Suenteus Po posted:

What shot was this? Someone walking around Tatooine, I'm guessing?

In the beginning of the movie when the gas is being pumped into the room with the Jedi in it, there's a half-second shot of the vent through which the gas is being released. In the DVD commentary Rick Mccallum points out this is the only shot in the entire movie with no effects.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Andorian Blues posted:

In the beginning of the movie when the gas is being pumped into the room with the Jedi in it, there's a half-second shot of the vent through which the gas is being released. In the DVD commentary Rick Mccallum points out this is the only shot in the entire movie with no effects.

Oh, so that's why that shot sucked. I always felt that vent was missing something. It would have been better if there had been a pair of ewoks behind the vent blowing the gas into the room through straws while whispering "yub yub" to each other.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NeonTurtle posted:

Oh, so that's why that shot sucked. I always felt that vent was missing something. It would have been better if there had been a pair of ewoks behind the vent blowing the gas into the room through straws while whispering "yub yub" to each other.

Lucas clearly intended to have a dewback singing behind that vent, that's why he'll throw that into the 3D version of TPM.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

GodlessCommie posted:

Lucas clearly intended to have a dewback singing behind that vent, that's why he'll throw that into the 3D version of TPM.

Lucas was going to "update" the Obi-Wan/Vader fight in Ep 4 before McCallum talked him out of it.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Kylaer posted:

I liked how, back in the Zahn trilogy, the discovery of 200 last-generation warships was a game-changer, and how the Republic was making GBS threads its collective pants over the thought of Thrawn being able to churn out ~1000 soldiers a day from his cloning facility. If there are a million planets, blowing up Alderaan has considerably less impact than if there were, at most, a couple of hundred highly developed worlds (Alderaan, Correlia, Coruscant, and so on). Then you could have a few thousand middling worlds and another few thousand (or maybe in the low tens of thousands) backwater planets like Tattooine and Wayland. That setting, in my mind, works with the theme of Star Wars much better than a huge 40K-style expansive setting.

The Essential Atlas is really good. I am not obsessed enough to count how many worlds the index has, but you get a feeling that despite the galaxy having a shitload of inhabited systems, most of them are galactic flyover country with no significant population and no real commercial value. If there is around 1000 sectors in the Empire, with each having approximately 50 systems, you get a nice round number of around 50000 inhabited systems. Counting stuff that's outside the Empire and such, you might get around 1000000 or so in total, of which approximately ten percent are significant in anyway.

Lower numbers keep everything managable.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Lucas was going to "update" the Obi-Wan/Vader fight in Ep 4 before McCallum talked him out of it.

George Lucas has finally lost his sanity, hasn't he?

Edit: That being said, I have a horrible desire to know how many minutes Lucas would have stretched it out, and how much of the Death Star would have been destroyed in the fight.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

Mister Roboto posted:

Who's McCallum?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Donkey Kunt posted:

Who's McCallum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_McCallum

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

I hate to be the one to break it to you Rick, I know how much you like George. But I think we're going to have him put down.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

Rick McCallum's wiki page posted:

McCallum is currently in pre-production on Red Tails, an action-adventure that pays tribute to the spirit of World War II's Tuskegee Airmen, and on which Lucas will act as executive producer;

Oh those poor, poor Tuskegee Airmen. As if the racism and bigotry they had to serve under and live through wasn't enough, now they have to endure the injustice of having these two morons making an awful movie about their struggle.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That's if it ever gets done. The first time I heard anything about it was back around EP I time, the loving thing might never get done.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
That just sounds like the worst kind of movie for Jorge to make. Then again you could say that about any movie he makes.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

TheLoquid posted:

I've thought for a long time that the Emperor should have been Julius Caesar-esque, who could turn into an evil space wizard later. The part where Plinkett is going over exactly how ridiculously evil the emperor looks and acts in ROTS is more or less exactly why it never struck true that he could turn a Republic into an Empire.

I hate to Godwin this but in this case it's actually appropriate since the Empire was largely inspired by them, but Nazis looked and acted pretty evil and that worked out well enough for them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

That's if it ever gets done. The first time I heard anything about it was back around EP I time, the loving thing might never get done.

They filmed it around the time Indiana Jones IV came out, but then Lucas decided they needed to reshoot parts of it and so he's doing the reshoots himself (the earlier shots were done by someone else) so...there goes any chance it had of being good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Are we going to see Shia Labeouf in digital blackface?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched the Episode III review, and now I'm sad. Comparing the shots from the original trilogy with shots from Revenge of the Sith is just heartbreaking.

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.

CJSwiss posted:

I hate to Godwin this but in this case it's actually appropriate since the Empire was largely inspired by them, but Nazis looked and acted pretty evil and that worked out well enough for them.

This seems appropriate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEle_DLDg9Y

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

NeonTurtle posted:

Oh those poor, poor Tuskegee Airmen. As if the racism and bigotry they had to serve under and live through wasn't enough, now they have to endure the injustice of having these two morons making an awful movie about their struggle.

Didn't Lucas already have Anakin kill a bunch of Tuskegee Raiders in Attack of the Clones?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NeonTurtle posted:

I know you're being sarcastic but I'm imagining this and laughing like an idiot and now I want it. The movies already terrible might as well go full out stupid.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CJSwiss posted:

There's kind of a difference between dressing in dark uniforms and literally looking like the devil if he was really pale and melty.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I think it was someone in the last Megathread who posted about the choir piece (Augie's Great Municipal Band) at the end TPM mimicking the Imperial March.

I've tried but I can't hear it. What am I supposed to listen for?

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!
It's not the Imperial March. It's the Emperor's Theme from ROTJ.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

someone needs to post that motherfucking.gif from the way old episode 3 thread with Grievous as an old timey silent film villain!!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I think it was someone in the last Megathread who posted about the choir piece (Augie's Great Municipal Band) at the end TPM mimicking the Imperial March.

I've tried but I can't hear it. What am I supposed to listen for?
As the TheCommodore07 said, it's not the Imperial March; it's the Emperor's theme, which you hear when he's landing aboard the second Death Star. Compare the vocals of each.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

They filmed it around the time Indiana Jones IV came out, but then Lucas decided they needed to reshoot parts of it and so he's doing the reshoots himself (the earlier shots were done by someone else) so...there goes any chance it had of being good.

The entire movie will be like this:

"Oh noes! Meesa being bombad shot at!"

"No worries, yousa pull to the left while meesa crunch the German!"

"Yippee! Meesa saved!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Crowetron posted:

There's kind of a difference between dressing in dark uniforms and literally looking like the devil if he was really pale and melty.

Why didn't they just stick with the pale sick looking Palpatine from ROTJ make up instead of going all latex el rubberito with the ROTS one?

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
Is there a Dan Abnett of Star Wars? I've been going to the library to get my Star Wars fix, but I haven't found an author who consistently writes awesome poo poo.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

spaceships posted:

Is there a Dan Abnett of Star Wars? I've been going to the library to get my Star Wars fix, but I haven't found an author who consistently writes awesome poo poo.

There are several in the OP.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Why didn't they just stick with the pale sick looking Palpatine from ROTJ make up instead of going all latex el rubberito with the ROTS one?

God yes, I hated how Palpatine looked in RotS after the Mace fight. He looked like a goddamn frog.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Palpatine really was one of the few good things about the prequels. Palpatine made episode 3 worth watching. He just revels in his own evilness and hams it up so much. He steals the show like almost nobody I've seen before, partly because he's chewing the scenery while everybody else is wooden as can be.

Episode 3 is a turd of a movie, but the Emperor is so silly, cartoonishly evil and fun to watch it's hard not to love him. I mean he's practically loving Skeletor! I half expect him to go "Nyah hah hah, now Eternia will be mine and I shall be rid of He-Man forever! Nyah hah hah hah!"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So in the movie Palpatine tells the new Vader that yeah, he killed Padme. Did it never occur to Vader to, I don't know, ask about the whole baby deal? I mean, super future tech aside, some droid could have even cut out the drat kid. Or was it more of a shrug, welp, I'm a baddie now! moment and Vader just forgot he knocked her up at all?

I suppose one thing we can be thankful for is a lack of sex scene in the prequels. I bet a lot of CGI Force magic would have been involved.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Yeah, with all the clone tech out there, did nobody go, "Well, even if the babies died with her, we can clone the hell out of them! She might be dead, with no way to bring back a clone with her memories or personality, but the babies are blank slates, anyway, so nothing is lost. In fact, I could maybe install Order 66.1 that will cause them to flip out and cut off Vader's head. Because it goes without saying I can't just turn any of them loose. They'd get together with some kind of outback Jedi-Rebel Alliance and run me down like a Bantha... Oh, by the Force, did I just say that?"

Or did I just think it? Did he hear me?

(Vader is still sitting there, breathing heavily and looking wide-eyed.)

The deathsticks were wearing off, the acid was long gone, but the spice was still running strong.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Yeah, with all the clone tech out there, did nobody go, "Well, even if the babies died with her, we can clone the hell out of them! She might be dead, with no way to bring back a clone with her memories or personality, but the babies are blank slates, anyway, so nothing is lost. In fact, I could maybe install Order 66.1 that will cause them to flip out and cut off Vader's head. Because it goes without saying I can't just turn any of them loose. They'd get together with some kind of outback Jedi-Rebel Alliance and run me down like a Bantha... Oh, by the Force, did I just say that?"

Or did I just think it? Did he hear me?

(Vader is still sitting there, breathing heavily and looking wide-eyed.)

The deathsticks were wearing off, the acid was long gone, but the spice was still running strong.

What in the holy gently caress

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

What in the holy gently caress

Something beautiful. Don't question it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I suppose one thing we can be thankful for is a lack of sex scene in the prequels.

I dunno, my theater audience broke into embarrassed titters at this somewhat... suggestive scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPoxMFzcr-g