Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

penismightier posted:

In Zero Hour, the movie that Airplane is a parody/remake of, it's grilled halibut.

wikipedia posted:

Zero Hour! is a 1957 movie whose screenplay was written by Arthur Hailey, starring Dana Andrews, Linda Darnell, and Sterling Hayden, and released by Paramount Pictures. Zero Hour! served as the basis for the spoof Airplane!.[1] Zero Hour! was a remake of Hailey's 1956 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation play Flight into Danger.[2] Hailey also co-wrote a novel with John Castle based on the same premise, titled Flight Into Danger: Runway Zero-Eight (1958).

The rights to the movie were purchased by the makers of the 1980 parody film Airplane!, and they were able to use the screenplay almost verbatim

I think it is funny that they used the actual script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

kapalama posted:

I think it is funny that they used the actual script.

I didn't know about that earlier movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q__vuyH1JEI scene by scene comparison is pretty funny.

FortCastle
Apr 24, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

The choices were steak or fish, no specifics.

Dr. Rumack: "Yes, I remember, I had the lasagna."

Awesome, thank you very much

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Zogo posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q__vuyH1JEI scene by scene comparison is pretty funny.

I'm going to have to go back and watch Airplane! in black and white now.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Zogo posted:

This is awesome. Incidentally, does anyone know the first use of that montage of old timey flying machine stock footage? The ones in the flashbacks that Stryker has. I've seen it elsewhere; in a Freakazoid episode I think and definitely references to it in the Simpsons

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
While watching the AMC Back to the Future Marathon earlier, I was wondering if there are any other series that switched up cast members between installments?

Other than Bond films, all the series I can think of keep the same cast, and if someone doesn't come back, normally that character has been killed off or left for another reason.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Batman Begins -> Dark Knight

Mortal Kombat for Raiden

The Matrix trilogy for the Oracle.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The Vacation series may have different actors for the kids in every single film.

Edit: Motherfucker, they got the original Audrey to return for Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure so it was a record of recasting which lasted 20 years and four films and broken with the fifth. Bummer.

Edit2: It should be mentioned that B-movie DTV series have lots of sequels with recast leads as one action star is replaced with another after they get tired or whatever. I figure you're after more reputable stuff than that.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 1, 2011

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

twistedmentat posted:

While watching the AMC Back to the Future Marathon earlier, I was wondering if there are any other series that switched up cast members between installments?

Other than Bond films, all the series I can think of keep the same cast, and if someone doesn't come back, normally that character has been killed off or left for another reason.

Jodi Foster was replace by Julianne Moore in the sequel to Silence of the Lambs. And Megan Fox has disappeared from the Transformers franchise.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 1, 2011

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

cloudchamber posted:

Jodi Foster was replace by Julianne Moore in the sequel to Silence of the Lambs. And Megan Fox has disappeared from the Transformers franchise.

Megan Fox's character is just not in it. It hasn't been recast.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

NeuroticErotica posted:

Megan Fox's character is just not in it. It hasn't been recast.

She's Sam's love interest. It's practically the same role.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Terrence Howard -> Don Cheadle between Iron Man 1 & 2
Ed Norton -> Mark Ruffalo between Incredible Hulk & The Avengers

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

twistedmentat posted:

Richard Harris -> Michael Gambon for Dumbledore.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ninja Gamer posted:

Batman Begins -> Dark Knight

The entire Batman franchise has gone through radical casting changes for over 40 years.

I know some people like to pretend that the Nolan Batman is the only Batman, but it's still the same character, universe and franchise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jscolon2.0 posted:

Ed Norton -> Mark Ruffalo between Incredible Hulk & The Avengers

And Ed Norton had replaced Eric Bana (and Liv Tyler replaced Jennifer Connelly) between the Ang Lee Hulk and the most recent one.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I watched Cronos last night and the whole movie had this kinda jerky stop-motion-esque thing going on with the motion in it. I dunno if I can explain it better than that.

My question, is that something deliberate that Del Toro did, or was Netflix messing up? Either way it gave the movie this cool other-worldly feel too it that I enjoyed.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

FitFortDanga posted:

The entire Batman franchise has gone through radical casting changes for over 40 years.

I know some people like to pretend that the Nolan Batman is the only Batman, but it's still the same character, universe and franchise.

True but TDK was most obviously a sequel to Begins whereas most of the other films can be considered separate series with the same characters. The Burton films seem pretty connected but Schumacher's don't necessarily with connect each other let alone the rest of the movies.

And those are just the ones made in a short enough time frame for people to consider them connected. I doubt many think Batman (1966) is a sequel to Batman (1943) or that either one of those is connected to Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

haveblue posted:

And Ed Norton had replaced Eric Bana (and Liv Tyler replaced Jennifer Connelly) between the Ang Lee Hulk and the most recent one.

Not sure if that one really counts. I'd say it's more like the Batman films since it was technically a retelling of the same story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ninja Gamer posted:

And those are just the ones made in a short enough time frame for people to consider them connected. I doubt many think Batman (1966) is a sequel to Batman (1943) or that either one of those is connected to Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Which is idiotic, because they obviously all are.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Which is idiotic, because they obviously all are.

So Heath Ledger's Joker is a zombie I guess? Or Jack Nicholson was pretending to be dead at the end of the '89 movie?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Schweinhund posted:

So Heath Ledger's Joker is a zombie I guess? Or Jack Nicholson was pretending to be dead at the end of the '89 movie?

Multiverse

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Squid Hat posted:

I watched Cronos last night and the whole movie had this kinda jerky stop-motion-esque thing going on with the motion in it. I dunno if I can explain it better than that.

My question, is that something deliberate that Del Toro did, or was Netflix messing up? Either way it gave the movie this cool other-worldly feel too it that I enjoyed.

I'm curious about this because I started to watch it the other night on Netflix and the same thing was going on. It was really distracting, so I turned it off after a couple minutes.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Ben Healy and Junior Healy in Problem Child 3: Junior in Love

Tommy Jarvis changes twice between Friday the 13th 4, 5, and 6.

John Connor is different in every Terminator film.

The Empire Strikes Back originally had a woman as the emperor.

RoboCop 3 has a new RoboCop.

There are many more of course. The one that annoyed me the most was Friday the 13th however. I would've liked to see Feldman continue the role as I really liked him in part 4.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Real simple one,but is The Room as funny as everyone says? I need a funny flick for bad movie night.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

PlasticPaddy posted:

Real simple one,but is The Room as funny as everyone says? I need a funny flick for bad movie night.

Oh lord you have no idea whats in store for you

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

PlasticPaddy posted:

Yes, a million times yes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Room is not funny! It's not true! I did not laugh. I did NOT.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

Squid Hat posted:

The same thing happened on Netflix streaming about halfway through Swamp Thing (awful movie, by the way). Every once in awhile Netflix will screw up like that; the remake of House on Haunted Hill messed up the aspect ratio so everyone in the movie looks unnaturally stretched out and slightly flattened, and there was a horror anthology called Trapped Ashes where the audio was out of sync with the action for several minutes, and I mean that literally.

Hmmm, this post makes me realize I watch lovely horror movies on Netflix more than I should.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Has anyone ever used "A Modest Proposal" as the basis for a sci-fi movie?

Besides Soylent Green, which isn't even made of babies.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

Have professional lip readers ever watched silent movies and interpreted what the actors are saying?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

cloudchamber posted:

Have professional lip readers ever watched silent movies and interpreted what the actors are saying?

Apparently, by the height of the silent era the actors had to be careful to say the right poo poo because avid filmgoers got pretty good at lipreading.

...that doesn't answer your question.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I always wondered something about silent era films. Was it impossible back then to do modern-style subtitles instead of title cards? It still bugs me to have the visuals chopped up and segmented by screens of text every few seconds.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

the Bunt posted:

I always wondered something about silent era films. Was it impossible back then to do modern-style subtitles instead of title cards? It still bugs me to have the visuals chopped up and segmented by screens of text every few seconds.

While it wouldn't have been impossible (just really difficult) I doubt anyone would even conceive of doing something like that.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

the Bunt posted:

The optical printer hadn't been invented, so, yes.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I remember reading that they did experiment with different methods of showing dialogue though. One movie had comic style speech bubbles but it bombed. So it was possible at least by the end of the era.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the intertitle method. One advantage is you don't miss anything from reading.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

the Bunt posted:

Every era has its annoying artistic nonsense.

I wonder what will look (or sound) ridiculous in today's films in 20 years.

Granting TV being different, I was just watching a TV series from the 90's (Murder One) and the synthesizer soundtrack is really annoying. (And the women's makeup was pretty gag-inducing too).

I don't imagine anyone even noticed either at the time.

The reaction of people unfamiliar to Hollywood's current artistic nonsense are few and far between because of the reach of Hollywood films, but American TV, which tends not to travel as far, makes some Japanese people laugh out loud. (And vice versa).

I personally hate watching old movies beacause of all the unfamiliar artifice.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Schweinhund posted:

I remember reading that they did experiment with different methods of showing dialogue though. One movie had comic style speech bubbles but it bombed. So it was possible at least by the end of the era.

How did they do that, I wonder? Projecting the film onto paper with cartoon bubbles and filming that?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

They could run the film twice through the camera while blacking out parts of the lens so the film is only exposed once each time. I know they did this as early as 1903: Alice in Wonderland. Incidentally, I see that movie also has the main title printed on it by double exposure. So that was at least possible in a crude way.

I wish I could find the movie with the speech bubbles. Can't find reference to it anywhere. Although I found one source that says the movie "The Unholy Three" from 1925 has some speech bubbles in it.

oh and the Alice in Wonderland movie has a cameo by the :getout : frog at 3:55 :3:.

edit2: and I just remembered one of my favorite silent movies The Navigator has some subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEio44GhwVM

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 3, 2011

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

the Bunt posted:

Aside from doing a double exposure, which would have required some complex setting up the other option is to burn in subtitles by etching them into the film which is very painful to watch as either the words shake as the film snakes through the gates and the fact the text can drop out of focus complete with rings around the letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
300 is about a militaristic, xenophobic, sexist slave society with rituals of eugenics and 80s action movie homoeroticism that refuse to consider diplomacy and mock those who do. They project their force across neighboring cultures to destroy the outsider encroaching on its sphere of influence and are in such a state of persistent war that there is no other profession for able-bodied male citizens save soldier - lesser work is the work of the inferior slaves and women, and politics is the domain of those soldiers who have lived long enough to retire into leadership.

Is 300 the political satire that time forgot?