Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is the "guy" in front supposed to be Einstein?

Marilyn Monroe with Einstein's head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA3zlDcYjOk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Oh God Solaris Blu Ray!!

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Kuroneko would make sense, with the recently restored print making the rounds. And it's so damned good. I hope it's that one, just so more people can see it.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
So we're sure the man in drag isn't The Tenant? I haven't seen Cul de Sac but it's weird that two Polanski movies feature cross dressers.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

HP Hovercraft posted:

So we're sure the man in drag isn't The Tenant? I haven't seen Cul de Sac but it's weird that two Polanski movies feature cross dressers.

He wears the same clothes as the guy in the drawing in Cul de Sac, so it's that one.

It's been suggested that the girl in the drawing is representing Bitter Rice, which is excellent, so that would be good news if true.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

i am not so sure posted:

Oh God Solaris Blu Ray!!

With any hope this will spur Kino to get their asses in gear on the other ones.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This seems like a random thing to put up on the Facebook page. Are we finally going to get that Picnic at Hanging Rock upgrade?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
According to the Criterion main website there is a Peter Weir retrospective in New York at the Walter Reade Theater. They are probably just hyping that, but I still have my fingers crossed.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Criterion's disc would need a drat good set of supplements to make me double-dip on my UK Blu-Ray of Picnic at Hanging Rock, which is as close to perfect as they come.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Time Bandits and The Long Good Friday are OOP according to Criterion's site. Playtime also seems to be OOP for DVD only. The 2-disc edition has some funky digipak case, so they're probably just doing the second printing in a regular case like The Rules of the Game.

edit: Also, they updated Sweet Smell of Success to mention the transfer is directly from the camera negative.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 8, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There are no subtitles for the English dialogue on the Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence blu, and it's really loving annoying.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion's FB page posted:

We're announcing new titles on Friday, what are you hoping for?

Among the responses (as far as I can tell, none of these are jokes):

* "Kubrick Collection"
* Pulp Fiction
* Escape from NY
* Big Trouble in Little China
* Once Upon a Time in the West
* Lawrence of Arabia
* Jaws
* Quiz Show
* Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
* The Fountain
* Vanilla Sky
* Heathers
* Chinatown
* The Big Lebowski
* House of Sand and Fog
* The Hours
* A Single Man
* Babel
* There Will Be Blood
* Black Swan
* The Right Stuff
* Planes, Trains & Automobiles

You would not believe how many people are hopeful that Criterion will release The Fountain.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you wouldn't buy a Criterion of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, get out

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

FitFortDanga posted:

You would not believe how many people are hopeful that Criterion will release The Fountain.

Why is this surprising? Movie is awesome... so is Eternal Sunshine.

In fact, I'd buy most of those on Criterion in a heartbeat!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zenintrude posted:

Why is this surprising?

Because it's owned by a studio that will surely release it themselves (like ESotSM, which is already coming out on Blu in two weeks)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Fountain is on Blu-Ray as well, albeit with lossy audio and no commentary. I'd love to see a film like that get the full Criterion treatment, but WB doesn't license their titles out.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

FitFortDanga posted:

Because it's owned by a studio that will surely release it themselves (like ESotSM, which is already coming out on Blu in two weeks)

Well, hope ≠ expectations... but you are right, it will not happen with many modern studio movies (Anderson notwithstanding)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

PLEASE SOLARIS BLU RAY

LOOK AT MY AVATAR

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Also hahaha at Babel on Criterion

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

i am not so sure posted:

PLEASE SOLARIS BLU RAY

LOOK AT MY AVATAR

Solaris is as good as confirmed, thanks to the New Year's hint drawing.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

i am not so sure posted:

I'm imagining a alternate universe criterion where they publish obvious Oscar bait with the most precise care.

Be right back, I'm going to Barnes and Noble to pick up the four disc release of Life as a House.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

Quiz Show

People actually liked this movie?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Among the responses (as far as I can tell, none of these are jokes):

* "Kubrick Collection"
* Pulp Fiction
* Escape from NY
* Big Trouble in Little China
* Once Upon a Time in the West
* Lawrence of Arabia
* Jaws
* Quiz Show
* Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
* The Fountain
* Vanilla Sky
* Heathers
* Chinatown
* The Big Lebowski
* House of Sand and Fog
* The Hours
* A Single Man
* Babel
* There Will Be Blood
* Black Swan
* The Right Stuff
* Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Does anyone even look to see if some of these films are out? Big Trouble in Little China is LOADED with supplements, even more so than the 2-disc DVD.

Some would actually be good Criterion picks, even though there are good to great DVD editions.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

The Fountain is on Blu-Ray as well, albeit with lossy audio and no commentary. I'd love to see a film like that get the full Criterion treatment, but WB doesn't license their titles out.

Yeah, The Fountain isn't that crazy of a choice since Darren Aronofsky was asking people to email Jon Mulvaney for a Criterion edition after Warner wiped their hands of it and refused put any money up for extras (including a director's commentary track)

Darren Aronofsky in 2007 posted:

so the dvd came out.
happy that it is in the world.
hope more folks will get to see it.

as many of you can tell it is light on the extras as compared to my previous dvd releases.

everything at the studio was a struggle.
for instance: they didn't want to do a commentary track cause they felt that it wouldn't help sales.
i didn't have it in me to fight anymore.
whatever.

so:
niko, my friend who did the doc on the dvd came up with a novel idea.
we recorded a commentary track ourselves.
we're gonna post it on a site soon, http coming soon.
you can play it and watch the flick and hopefully you'll enjoy it.

i do hope to do a big special edition at some point. but for that to happen the dvd is gonna have to sell.
i got a lot of extras in my bag so who know maybe if you all write to criterion they'll get interested (suggest the fountain as a title: mulvaney@criterion.com).

they've been into pi and requiem but because the first run of dvd's had so many extras they didn't know what else they could add. but the fountain...

i hope you are all well. i've been writing. stuff is coming. gonna know what we are doing next soon enough.

best,
da

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

i am not so sure posted:

I misread that as Babe at first

Criterion needs to release Babe.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
speaking of talking animals, seeing as all the other Wes Andersons have gotten a treatment, is Fantastic Mr. Fox in the works (I usually like Wes Anderson's commentaries so I was dissapointed that the 20th Century Fox release didn't have one)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Captain Charisma posted:

I misread that as Babe at first

Criterion needs to release Babe.

Pig in the City can be a supplement.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

speaking of talking animals, seeing as all the other Wes Andersons have gotten a treatment, is Fantastic Mr. Fox in the works (I usually like Wes Anderson's commentaries so I was dissapointed that the 20th Century Fox release didn't have one)

Darjeeling, a Fox release, came to Criterion... you can assume that Mr. Fox will show up there eventually.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's really pissing me off that neither Netflix nor the public library has acquired the Allan King set yet.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Will Tokyo Olympiad ever come back in print, as was the case with Salo, or is that one gone for good?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FitFortDanga posted:

It's really pissing me off that neither Netflix nor the public library has acquired the Allan King set yet.

A Married Couple is really really good, and Dying At Grace is pretty incredible. After I finish the set I could probably loan it to you through the mail if you don't mind paying return shipping. I certainly wouldn't miss it for a couple months.

edit: also, everyone get your f5'in fingers ready, they're announcing new titles tomorrow. Come onnnn Fanny & Alexander...

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 14, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A Married Couple is really really good, and Dying At Grace is pretty incredible. After I finish the set I could probably loan it to you through the mail if you don't mind paying return shipping. I certainly wouldn't miss it for a couple months.

edit: also, everyone get your f5'in fingers ready, they're announcing new titles tomorrow. Come onnnn Fanny & Alexander...

I'm getting serious Blu balls (HA HA) on Wild Strawberries and Mr. Hulot's Holiday. The DVDs have mocked me for the last two years of B&N sales.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

zenintrude posted:

Will Tokyo Olympiad ever come back in print, as was the case with Salo, or is that one gone for good?

I don't normally keep up with such things, but I've never heard anything indicating that it will. Sometimes when I'm window shopping online I flirt with the idea of buying a copy used just so that I can add it to my collection. If only it wasn't so expensive. :(

Of course, I never though Salo would be re-released (with a new transfer and some snazzy packaging too) and before then I used to contemplate getting a used copy of it for the same reason. Good thing I held out even though I wouldn't dare attempt to go back and watch it a second time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm getting serious Blu balls (HA HA) on Wild Strawberries and Mr. Hulot's Holiday. The DVDs have mocked me for the last two years of B&N sales.

I got the Wild Strawberries Essential Arthouse for like eight dollars at a B&N sale so it's no skin off my back to double-dip, but yeah, Holiday has really been killing me.

edit: heyo, check the "disc features".

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 14, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like we may see announcements for Fear and Loathing and a BD of Le Cercle Rouge.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Eh, I might rent Cercle for a second viewing, but I've had quite enough of F&LiLV.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Fear And Loathing page has Blu-Ray info on it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Fear And Loathing page has Blu-Ray info on it.

Anyone want to buy an opened but never viewed copy of this classic on DVD?

fml.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Whenever I see you around I get all worried about your Santa package. It should've been there like three weeks ago. Good job, Post Office!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

For the past 3 months, the new announcements went up around this time of day.

:f5: :f5: :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Oh my god! No art yet but holy poo poo:

#560 - The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover

Director-approved digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Sacha Vierny
Audio commentary featuring director Peter Greenaway
New video conversation between Greenaway and the film’s score composer Michael Nyman
Deleted scenes
Featurette from 1989 including interviews with Greenaway, Michael Gambon, Helen Mirren, and other cast members
Theatrical trailer
PLUS: An order form for this really neat bridge you can buy