Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Is... that the JT100? You got your hands on one? How is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Got both of these in the past week. '65 Vintage Reissue Twin Reverb and a '94-'95 (based on the serial number) Japanese Fender Jaguar Special HH. The amp was a gift and the guitar I bought as a gift for myself, picked it up on craigslist for $350.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
My father got me a BYOGuitar PRS kit for Christmas as a way of introducing me to lutherie. It's a pretty badass gift I do believe, so I went ahead and built the thing.

Here it is in the box before I did anything with it.

Here the neck is attached and the pickups are installed.

Tuners in.

Everything out, finish being applied. I went with a boiled linseed oil finish because I love wood and didn't want to color it. This will probably not be the case with my next build.

I think the back side is absolutely beautiful.

And here it is mostly finished.

All that's left are the hard parts, wiring it and intonating it. I've got most of the strings accurately intonated but the low E is giving me a fuckload of trouble. I'll get it though.

Then I went and got for myself a new amp for my theremin. . .

. . . and some bookshelves to organize my mancave and unclutter my floor:

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

'94-'95 (based on the serial number) Japanese Fender Jaguar Special HH. The amp was a gift and the guitar I bought as a gift for myself, picked it up on craigslist for $350.
Nice find. That's a real steal for a true beauty--sexiest of all Fenders, imo.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

Is... that the JT100? You got your hands on one? How is it?

Not yet, I just put in an order for it last night. I'll post a trip report soon.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Ireneo Funes posted:

I hate it that I'm so picky, but really: how hard is it to design a good-looking headstock without infringing on Fender's trademark? I seem not to like any of them from the clone manufacturers, while Agile's headstock for its Gibson copies is just fine. :confused:

That one's "O.K.", but barely that... I guess there's always AllParts to get a Fender-licensed Strat neck or something.

Then my problem is that I dislike maple necks, so I'm stuck with a pricey-as-hell (but impeccable) Warmoth neck of some sort. Urgh

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I think it has to do something with the lawsuit era in the 70's. Fender caught on quicker than Gibson to treating copying the headstock a trademark infringement before too many other manufactures were using their design. Gibson missed that boat or whatever. AFAIK, that's why Rickenbacker clamps down pretty hard on Rick copies on ebay.

(someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Well a lot of it has to do with the fact that Fender's headstocks display chirality (handed-ness) whereas Gibson's designs are bifurcated (an hourglass). Simply take away the mirror-image"ness" of a 3 + 3 headstock, and you've got protection from whatever trademark copyright they possess (Agile's is slightly offset + a wavy detail at the top of the headstock?).

Fender's shapes, on the other hand, are 6 in-line, and have just the right amount of pointy edges and just the right amount of curves. Any more material and it'd look too bulky, any less - which is what everyone else seems to do - and it looks too goddamn pointy. Any more rounded shapes, and it looks bulbous, any less - which is what everyone else seems to do - and again, it looks too pointy.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yamaha's fender=ish headstocks are ok.

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

Schlieren posted:

Fender's shapes, on the other hand, are 6 in-line, and have just the right amount of pointy edges and just the right amount of curves. Any more material and it'd look too bulky, any less - which is what everyone else seems to do - and it looks too goddamn pointy. Any more rounded shapes, and it looks bulbous, any less - which is what everyone else seems to do - and again, it looks too pointy.

I was trying to explain to my drummer why I planned to instantly swap my Xaviere's neck/headstock for that of a Strat once it came in. For me the whole thing just doesn't look right without the points and curves of a Fender headstock. On the other hand, he had no problem looking at his knock-off tele with a Jackson-ish hockey-stick headstock.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Here's the two I've picked up

Ibanez Artcore AS73

Takamine EG41C

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
wadup

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
That's sikh dude.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zakalwe posted:

That's sikh dude.

The puns are strong with this one :golfclap:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I finally got a beer coaster for my Bud Lights.

Clean channel is wonky -- gonna get it worked on. Boost channel is loving awesome - very responsive to my playing - almost clean to Angus Young. I'm loving it. Need to get a better cabinet but who's picky.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Guitarfetish's added a whole bunch of Les Pauls now. A Les Paul, a LP Jr, a LP Special, and a SG. Purty.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Finally decided to take the plunge and replace my Squier Precision (bought for £50 out of the free paper a year and a half ago, sounds just like you'd expect). I went into the store all set to buy a Squier VM Jazz for £250, but they'd sold the last one last week :smith:

I saw this SRX430 and decided to give it a go and holy poo poo this bass is chubby. I was just throwing every genre I could think of at it and it just sounded perfect at everything. The best part was the guy at the store put the wrong label on it (apparently it was supposed to be £325, it said £275 on the card) and he let me have it for sticker price :toot:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

crm posted:

Here's the two I've picked up

Ibanez Artcore AS73
I love these so much but I just don't have a reason to buy one! They are quite awesome though.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Got both of these in the past week. '65 Vintage Reissue Twin Reverb and a '94-'95 (based on the serial number) Japanese Fender Jaguar Special HH. The amp was a gift and the guitar I bought as a gift for myself, picked it up on craigslist for $350.

I have the recent Japanese re-release of this (the all black and chrome model). Hands down my favorite guitar.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

I've got the mid-90s version of that amp, the 63 reissue vibroverb. It's wonderful.

Oh yeah, it's serial number 1, too.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I've been kicking the idea of getting a Paul Beard Gold tone square neck resonator for the past week or so. They have amazing tone and the sound carries forever. My Johnson is real buzzy and it's a round neck but I have been playing it square neck style with less than stellar results. Some day I will learn normal guitar playing techniques and the Johnson will shine then but I really want to learn Bluegrass Dobro.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

I love these so much but I just don't have a reason to buy one! They are quite awesome though.

Got it and the hardshell case for $200 (total) off a dude via Craigslist.

Had the acoustic, but there's just some things you can't play with an acoustic :D

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Not so much purchased, but made:

A clone of a 1978 Big Muff, this is the Op-amp version rather than the transistors that the older ones, and reissues use.

It absolutely NAILS the guitar tone on Siamese Dream... So much that I should have painted it orange and called it the Pumpkin Pi.

GLC
Feb 21, 2001

Chalupa Joe posted:

Not so much purchased, but made:

A clone of a 1978 Big Muff, this is the Op-amp version rather than the transistors that the older ones, and reissues use.

It absolutely NAILS the guitar tone on Siamese Dream... So much that I should have painted it orange and called it the Pumpkin Pi.

Where did you get the schematic? I am intrigued.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

N183CS posted:

I've been kicking the idea of getting a Paul Beard Gold tone square neck resonator for the past week or so. They have amazing tone and the sound carries forever. My Johnson is real buzzy and it's a round neck but I have been playing it square neck style with less than stellar results. Some day I will learn normal guitar playing techniques and the Johnson will shine then but I really want to learn Bluegrass Dobro.

Very jealous here. I've been learning dobro technique by playing a cheapo Alvarez dreadnought retuned to open G, fitted with a riser nut and playing it with a slide. I can't wait until I can get my hands on a real nice resonator. I'll never be Jerry Douglas, but it means I will be able to add some twangy texture to my record.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

GLC posted:

Where did you get the schematic? I am intrigued.

Not sure, probably either one of diystompboxes, or freestompboxes. Or if you want a copy of my project files, that's not a problem.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 4, 2011

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I just bought a 1968 Silvertone 1445L
I love it, it just has this great warm tone, and a weird switch which is a built in distortion. It's amazing, and I've been informed that it's the only Silvertone ever produced that remains in tune for more that one song, so there's that.
Edit:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 7, 2011

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I already said it in the Effects thread but this applies here in a big way. So I got a job working for Wampler Pedals, and I owned a bunch of their stuff before I got hired and always thought they made killer stuff, but now I'm getting caught up on the whole range so that I can be fully familiar with the products going forward. It would be advertising to post pictures and clips and poo poo, but it's like Christmas came again (and this time, isn't messing around) at the Agreed household right now :holy: I'll post clips of stuff on my blog this weekend, that's my space on the web to do what I want. It'll help relieve the tension. I am feeling weirdly stifled biting my tongue since I can't actually post the cool stuff I'm playing through without violating spam rules on any of the musicians forums. An unanticipated downside, I guess, to taking the job. Oh, well, I'll buy some stuff from other people soon and then I can do my thing like normal again. :unsmith:

Here's something I can post without risking somebody calling me a shill!

Jet City Amplification JCA12S

A 1x12 cab, dimensions 20"x21"x11" and loaded with a respectable Eminence speaker. The dimensions are comparable to the Avatar Classic cab, if I remember correctly, and the damned thing costs $129 new. Made with void-free hard plywood, though they don't specify if it's birch. At the price, even if I need to add some bracing, it's an absolute bargain; Avatar will sell you an unloaded overstock 1x12 contemporary in brown tolex, as cheap as a non scratch-and-dent gets, for $225 plus $35 or $40 shipping. A $129, speaker-included 1x12 cab with the same dimensions that gets good reviews and sounds great in clips seems like a friggin' no-brainer.

I've got the gear now to record a physical setup much better than I could have back three or four (or five? man...) years ago when I first started recording demos and putting them online, so I'll be happy to give this a thorough going-over when it gets here next Wednesday. It'll be good to get it out of my system, not being able to talk about a whole box full of pedals is killing me. Definitely going to take some getting used to.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 7, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Jet City Amplification JCA12S

A 1x12 cab, dimensions 20"x21"x11" and loaded with a respectable Eminence speaker. The dimensions are comparable to the Avatar Classic cab, if I remember correctly, and the damned thing costs $129 new. Made with void-free hard plywood, though they don't specify if it's birch. At the price, even if I need to add some bracing, it's an absolute bargain; Avatar will sell you an unloaded overstock 1x12 contemporary in brown tolex, as cheap as a non scratch-and-dent gets, for $225 plus $35 or $40 shipping. A $129, speaker-included 1x12 cab with the same dimensions that gets good reviews and sounds great in clips seems like a friggin' no-brainer.

I've got the gear now to record a physical setup much better than I could have back three or four (or five? man...) years ago when I first started recording demos and putting them online, so I'll be happy to give this a thorough going-over when it gets here next Wednesday. It'll be good to get it out of my system, not being able to talk about a whole box full of pedals is killing me. Definitely going to take some getting used to.

Any chance you could give a report on how the Pipe Amp sounds through it? And congratulations on the job, it sounds amazing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hah, yeah, that's a good idea. I wonder myself how the Pipe Amp will do with a cab. I gave Tom a lot of poo poo about that. "Could have been an effects out, but no, it can do every bit of 9V into a cab :v:" He's a really good guy, buy FuzzHugger.

Oh, poo poo, do I have any speaker cable around? I just thought of that...

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I decided to bite the bullet and buy an Agile AL-3200 copy:

2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional.

The owner assured me that it's as good as the Agile AL-3200, but I'll have to wait til I get home to find out. For now, all I know is that just holding it makes me come. Like lots.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Hah, yeah, that's a good idea. I wonder myself how the Pipe Amp will do with a cab. I gave Tom a lot of poo poo about that. "Could have been an effects out, but no, it can do every bit of 9V into a cab :v:" He's a really good guy, buy FuzzHugger.

Oh, poo poo, do I have any speaker cable around? I just thought of that...

I actually managed to break the speaker out on my Pipe because I was always plugging and unplugging it into a small cab that used to be part of my bass practice amp, before the head died. Tom not only had it fixed and shipped back in a few days (and this was right after Thanksgiving), but he reimbursed me for the shipping cost. And he included stickers when he shipped it back! Fuzzhugger is the best.

magnificent7 posted:

I decided to bite the bullet and buy an Agile AL-3200 copy:

2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional.

Haha. Nicely done, looks gorgeous.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Today's Stupid Deal.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DeltaLab-DGFX1-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150615

Click here for the full 700x445 image.

$60. I own no pedals. Why not? So I did.

\/ By your command, it is done. \/

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 8, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

As did I. Good catch - you should crosspost it to the Gear Deals thread.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I just got my first gear purchase for the year: a second hand Ashdown ABM EVOIII bass head, the rack version. About half price at £350, and it's one of the old UK models made before they moved them overseas. Just need to wait for my next paycheck and then I'll get a Gator 3U rack-case for it.

Will now be spending the next week sat in front of my door waiting for the van man to bring me amp-goodness I think.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010
got a nice new leather bass strap for christmas :3

edit straplocks are awesome. everyone should get them

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Warcabbit posted:

Today's Stupid Deal.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DeltaLab-DGFX1-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150615

Click here for the full 700x445 image.

$60. I own no pedals. Why not? So I did.

\/ By your command, it is done. \/

Nice, I just picked one up too. Figure if it's even halfway decent, I can use it as a backup if something in my rig shits the bed at an inopportune time. A lot of good stuff being said about the Delta pedals, I'm curious how their multieffects offering fares.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Pigtronix stuff is awesome. Just got this:

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Finally got my EHX MicroSynth yesterday. I posted in the beginning of November (I think) that the store I ordered it from had sent me the bass version. Well, I returned it and they promised I'd have the guitar version in 4-6 weeks. It ended up taking 8, but now I have my new toy.

Also, it'll be new guitar time soon.

Edit: Now with a picture.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

HMorg posted:

Finally got my EHX MicroSynth yesterday. I posted in the beginning of November (I think) that the store I ordered it from had sent me the bass version. Well, I returned it and they promised I'd have the guitar version in 4-6 weeks. It ended up taking 8, but now I have my new toy.

Also, it'll be new guitar time soon.

Edit: Now with a picture.

Audio or it didn't happen.