Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I enjoyed this one than the previous two. I'd still like more comics, but I'm convinced that I'll renew my Fanflow again in the hope that there will still be more celebrations of the English language :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

SeanBeansShako posted:

I have a sad feeling Beef would just associate the string with paralysis and not get up for another hour.

He'd be wise to stay away. String is probably used to test for early onset diabetes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got volume 3 for Christmas, and as awesome as it is (I love him admitting how much he hates some of the earlier strips, and the prose bits about Ray/Beef are so adorable) does it not bug anyone else that we're still not out of 2002 yet? I dunno, maybe it's just because they're coming out more than a year after the last but I feel like there should be more to them. I dunno if it's Dark Horse or Onstad or what.

Aeldaar
Apr 14, 2008

Check.

Ubik posted:

"oh god I don't want to bat at the string, that must mean I'm dying"

Hopefully he got a refund on that Snicker Stick, but he probably just gave it to Lyle.
so what exactly is happening in your avatar?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have even seen the last three or so strips(3 month period). I just have no desire anymore to keep up with Achewood.

Used to be all "Whoo, Achewood, Whoo!" Now it's " oh hey, it's some achewood. I'm on my deathbed and it finally updated. Suppose I should give it a look."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bown posted:

I got volume 3 for Christmas, and as awesome as it is (I love him admitting how much he hates some of the earlier strips, and the prose bits about Ray/Beef are so adorable) does it not bug anyone else that we're still not out of 2002 yet? I dunno, maybe it's just because they're coming out more than a year after the last but I feel like there should be more to them. I dunno if it's Dark Horse or Onstad or what.

I don't mind not getting as many strips in each book, because really, the strips are all still there on the website. The commentary is nice, but the real gold is the extra prose about and from the characters.

Also, "They're waiting for you in therapy"/"Oh poo poo, it's Friday, I gotta run Philippe" is nowhere near as good as "Oh my god"/"They both suicided?". Why did Onstad change this?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Bown posted:

You are aware it's because Onstad is working on these books that new strip content is so limited, right?

Also, I hate the edits. I can appreciate "author's vision" and all that, but when something's been in print for 8 years and you've read it dozens of times, a change is jarring and feels like a betrayal.

stupid ugly retard
Dec 30, 2009

by T. Finn

vinic posted:

You are aware it's because Onstad is working on these books that new strip content is so limited, right?

The books come out what, once a year? If Onstad is incapable of maintaining a reasonable schedule when working on multiple projects he should pick one to focus his energies on. The books don't come out quickly or consistently enough to create a new print readership and I'm sure he's been losing online readers because of the delays between strips.
If Achewood needs to take a hiatus to work on the books, or because of personal issues, or to try to circumnavigate the globe in a hangglider, that's fine, but he should say so. The absolute lack of communication with the fanbase is a problem.

stupid ugly retard fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 27, 2010

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Jeez, guys, just go read this tweeter already. He's fine and having family time at the grandparent's. I bet Onstad is getting all the feedback he needs (and can check in his limited time in between foodie-related events and achewood) from the facebook page and/or twitter, as they seem to be what gets updated the most lately.

..drat, Achewood went social networky in a very sneaky way

http://twitter.com/!/achewood

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I can't speak for everyone, but for me I'd like to say this about Twitter: gently caress Twitter.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Johnny Aztec posted:

I can't speak for everyone, but for me I'd like to say this about Twitter: gently caress Twitter.

For special consideration

Toksai
Dec 3, 2005
Is the Achewood store completely gone?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like it.

I wouldn't hold your breath though. I've yet to receive a response about something I ordered six months ago.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Achewood is dead.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Onstad has fallen into the "creator's trap", wherein he puts off making a new (something), but has it in the back of his mind. The longer he puts it off, the worse he feels about the delay, and the less he wants to go back to doing (his thing) because he worries about the backlash until eventually he just hopes everyone will forget about it and let him move on and writes it off completely.

Or maybe his baby is keeping him busy.

I miss Achewood!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

withak posted:

Achewood is dead.

Long live Achewood. :(

edit; I just read all of the extra content in Vol 3 and found myself laughing out loud several times. Great stuff.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 1, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He's produced a shitload of content the last couple of weeks but it's all on the fanflow for people who pay for stuff as opposed to getting it for free. I love Achewood and I'd love to get more stuff for free but I can't criticize a guy for focusing on his paying customers first.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I can. The whole point of paid sections of sites like these is to give paid subscribers a little something extra every day. I don't think the way to entice new subscribers, and not to annoy those who choose to just get the free stuff, is to produce virtually nothing for the last year and then suddenly pop back in one day and say "Oh hey, paid people get 150 pages of stuff I've been working on.". You free guys can still look forward to maybe 6 strips next year, at best. I already sub so it's no big deal to me, but I'd be rightly pissed off if I wasn't.

Man, what is going on with webcomics lately. Achewood has slowed to a crawl, PVP has become the most namby-pamby "I want to be just like lovely newspaper comics!" strip ever, PBF is gone, Horribleville gone, some other comic I can't even remember is going on something like two years of "The last strip is coming any day now, I swear!".

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There is no Oglaf this sunday, either. :smith:

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, what is going on with webcomics lately. Achewood has slowed to a crawl, PVP has become the most namby-pamby "I want to be just like lovely newspaper comics!" strip ever, PBF is gone, Horribleville gone, some other comic I can't even remember is going on something like two years of "The last strip is coming any day now, I swear!".

I believe you're referring to Bigger than Cheeses

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

He's produced a shitload of content the last couple of weeks but it's all on the fanflow for people who pay for stuff as opposed to getting it for free. I love Achewood and I'd love to get more stuff for free but I can't criticize a guy for focusing on his paying customers first.

He's produced a shitload of content I don't want.

Let's be real, if I wanted to read a novel, I'd read a novel. I'd buy an Onstad-penned novel in a heartbeat, no problem. I think he'd be great at writing novels, like Christopher Moore.

But I come to the Achewood website to read his comic, and if he's trying his hand at creative writing, that's great for him, but I'm not looking to read his longform short stories when I go to the Achewood site. If he were dropping comics in the fanflow, I'd resubscribe and go read them.

Maybe I'm just being difficult here, but I want more Achewood comics, or I want an actual novel to read. I loving hate reading long stuff off the computer. That's why I still don't own a Kindle.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

rotinaj posted:

He's produced a shitload of content I don't want.

Let's be real, if I wanted to read a novel, I'd read a novel. I'd buy an Onstad-penned novel in a heartbeat, no problem. I think he'd be great at writing novels, like Christopher Moore.

But I come to the Achewood website to read his comic, and if he's trying his hand at creative writing, that's great for him, but I'm not looking to read his longform short stories when I go to the Achewood site. If he were dropping comics in the fanflow, I'd resubscribe and go read them.

Maybe I'm just being difficult here, but I want more Achewood comics, or I want an actual novel to read. I loving hate reading long stuff off the computer. That's why I still don't own a Kindle.

I agree with you. I like some of the text-only updates, but mostly I skip over them because they're just not interesting to me. I'm not looking for flash fiction, I'm looking for a comic. I didn't even really like the chapbooks - they've got a lot of filler, and after the first one was so boring I didn't even bother to download the other two. I love Achewood, I really do, and I think Chris Onstad has genuine talent, but I'm not enough of a fangirl to lap up crumbs like that and act like it's as good as a regularly-updating comic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I want to see more comics too, of course I do, I just don't feel like Onstad owes me anything because I'm getting all of this for free so I'm happy to take whatever I get. If there's no new comic for awhile, that sucks, but I'd rather get a comic from him when he's happy with whatever he's produced than see him forcing them out to meet some arbitrary quota like he was a newspaper strip.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Jerusalem posted:

Well I want to see more comics too, of course I do, I just don't feel like Onstad owes me anything because I'm getting all of this for free so I'm happy to take whatever I get. If there's no new comic for awhile, that sucks, but I'd rather get a comic from him when he's happy with whatever he's produced than see him forcing them out to meet some arbitrary quota like he was a newspaper strip.

Sure, but in the case of the subscription content, you're not getting it for free. I recently subscribed for a month just to check it out, and between the sparse updates and the annoying navigation, I'm not going to be renewing. Most of the posts in the fanflow are just links to the regular comic, and 90 percent of the subscriber-only stuff are letters and journal entries that I just don't care about.

I've never liked epistolary novels. :saddowns:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PhancyPants posted:

I believe you're referring to Bigger than Cheeses

Nah, it's something else. I was just searching for it and I still couldn't find it. All I remember is the main character never wore a shirt and he had long nipples.....

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Jerusalem posted:

It's not that we're demanding content, me, I just want to know where he is getting the income to party like it's 1999 in the culinary world. Keeping a regular schedule is key to keep regular readers and bring in new ones, and without a regular free schedule I don't know if the book sales are enough or whatever. (Since even the store is closed) It's the way I care for the man. (haha, remember when I suggested mon-wed-fri updates and even Onstad bit my head off?)

Bill Watterson (kinda) hated sabbaticals because reruns can only get you to a certain point, before the readership realizes they don't miss the characters and move on. =(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still miss Calvin and Hobbes, Mr. Watterson! Even though I'm happy you ended it on a high note.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nah, it's something else. I was just searching for it and I still couldn't find it. All I remember is the main character never wore a shirt and he had long nipples.....

Hate Song.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
The "chapbooks" aren't even novels... they're just notebooks with random musings done in I guess Roast Beef's character voice. I mean, that's okay, sort of, but really? That's the "80 pages of content!" you can only get in the fanflow? Pages of stuff like "dogs don't lie but mostly they should" and "the best molecule?" with the sketch of Garfield... hate to say this about Onstad's stuff, but that's super lame, hoss.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm probably gonna stop checking Achewood. Doesn't seem like much is gonna happen there.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

setafd posted:

I'm probably gonna stop checking Achewood. Doesn't seem like much is gonna happen there.

I took it off my reader since I figured that if this thread is bumped there's probably a new strip, but I may have to re think that position as well :(

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I would like to thank all of you for sharing.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

glug posted:

I would like to thank all of you for sharing.

Is this thread only for fawning and sycophantic praise of Achewood? No legitimate criticism allowed?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
PYF reason you aren't paying attention to Achewood any more.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

McGravin posted:

Is this thread only for fawning and sycophantic praise of Achewood? No legitimate criticism allowed?

There's legitimate criticism and there's nobody cares that you stopped reading, or that you're planning to stop reading, or that you were tricked by updates to this thread and decided you'll add to the tricking people game. Feel free to fawn with sycophantic praise or legitimately criticize though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

glug posted:

Feel free to fawn with sycophantic praise or legitimately criticize though.

Onstad is doing himself a disservice with his indifferent update schedule and (reportedly) lackluster fanflow content, and maybe it's time he reevaluated where he wants to go with Achewood because he's losing readers and generally hurting the good thing he had going.

Okay now you go.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Onstad is doing himself a disservice with his indifferent update schedule and (reportedly) lackluster fanflow content, and maybe it's time he reevaluated where he wants to go with Achewood because he's losing readers and generally hurting the good thing he had going.

Okay now you go.

I think he's been busy with other things, like the book, and things are likely to pick up again soon. Ok you go again.

stupid ugly retard
Dec 30, 2009

by T. Finn

Silentman0 posted:

I think he's been busy with other things, like the book, and things are likely to pick up again soon.

Until the next book.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.
It hurts me when I go to that site every day and there's no update, but I don't really think that I have the right to complain since I pay nothing for Achewood and there aren't even ads on the site (are there?). As much as I desperately want the old M-F schedule to come back it's not like I'm gonna go "HEY! ONSTAD! I DEMAND THAT YOU ENTERTAIN ME EVERY DAY, FOR FREE!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

There's a huge difference between nerd-raging that we aren't getting tons of free content and realizing that Onstad doesn't care enough about the fans to offer any sort of an explanation as to why the schedule has slowed to the point of a crawl.