Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS

nm posted:

She's clearly not very smart if she got into Michigan and went to a T4 instead.

She said she wanted to be closer to her family.. also she decided not to go to University of Mich because she didn't like Detroit and didn't want to practice there. I like this girl and don't want her to be crushed by lack of job prospects I mean she had a 3.8 in undergrad.:smith:
http://www.johnmarshall.edu/admission/consumer.php

I still don't know why she chose this school which has a median gpa of below a 3.0 and its not like if you are pre-law you have to take any hard science classes or weed out courses.

So what about contract law? What are her prospects in that?

Forever Zero fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Do not rekindle this relationship.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Forever Zero posted:

she decided not to go to University of Mich because she didn't like Detroit and didn't want to practice there.

Michigan isn't even in Detroit, its in Ann Arbor. It's a top ten school and has a national reputation. She wouldn't have been stuck in Michigan, much less Detroit, at all, and honestly, if she really got into Michigan, she should have gotten into some T1 schools in Georgia/other areas of the south and they should have offered her some money. She probably bombed the LSAT and lied to you about getting into Michigan.

Forever Zero posted:

Contract law is kind of general. So long as she's comfortable going solo and opening up her own office right out of law school, she should get comfortable with a wide variety of subjects... personal injury, wills/trusts & estates, commercial lit and real estate, bankruptcy, etc so she doesn't have too much of a niche/specialty right from the start and can get more clients. She really doesn't have a good chance at working at a large firm in any department.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Forever Zero posted:

She said she wanted to be closer to her family.. also she decided not to go to University of Mich because she didn't like Detroit and didn't want to practice there.
Michigan isn't in Detroit and as a T14, you aren't exactly limited to MI. I believe the most taken bar out of Michigan is the NY bar, not the MI bar.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I notice that most of the advice/warnings in this thread have to do with going to law school and getting a job in a major city and going through the big law track, but what are the drawbacks for someone that wants to practice in a smaller town and with a smaller firm?

Is the practice of law in and of itself so soul crushing as to make such a plan ridiculous because of the lower salary base and ceiling, or is the lower salary, coupled with the crippling debt associate with law school?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Forever Zero posted:

She said she wanted to be closer to her family.. also she decided not to go to University of Mich because she didn't like Detroit and didn't want to practice there. I like this girl and don't want her to be crushed by lack of job prospects I mean she had a 3.8 in undergrad.:smith:
http://www.johnmarshall.edu/admission/consumer.php

I still don't know why she chose this school which has a median gpa of below a 3.0 and its not like if you are pre-law you have to take any hard science classes or weed out courses.

Yeah because John Marshall is the only law school in Atlanta. Oh wait...there's Emory. Well, Emory expensive and she got a partial scholarship to John Marshall. Oh wait...there's Georgia State which is cheaper to go to for 3 years than 1 year at John Marshall.

Yeah, smart girl.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

cerebral posted:

Is the practice of law in and of itself so soul crushing as to make such a plan ridiculous because of the lower salary base and ceiling, or is the lower salary, coupled with the crippling debt associate with law school?

Yes to both. By the way, it is not magically easier to get a small firm job, either. I have spent 12 years in a small firm in the midwest, and recent law grads are beating down our doors. We haven't hired an associate in 5 years.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
A 3L JD/MBA friend of mine just converted to PUA techniques.

Don't go to law school it is full of ridiculous assholes.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

billion dollar bitch posted:

So...don't go to law school?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Petey posted:

So...don't go to law school?

Yeah but are you just saying that to people who aren't me or does it apply to my very specific, unique goals too?? Like settling for a government job, for example. I don't need to make Biglaw money! 100k+ and a 40 hour work week are enough to satisfy me, as hard as that may be to believe.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 2, 2011

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Please document their efforts and the ensuing debacles for our amusement

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Apparently, despite his homely appearance, a certain girl was calling him handsome. I didn't ask whether she was being sarcastic or not. Also separate a girl got him to massage her, and then gave her her number. As I assume a heavy reporting bias, I'm taking it that these were the highlights of his New Year's Eve.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Forever Zero posted:

So I came in touch with the girl I dated in the past and it turns out that she isn't at UGA but at John Marshall Law School (Atlanta). Because they gave her a partial scholarship. I'm sure she can get in the top quartile of her class because she got accepted into University of Mich Ann Arbor.

She is very interested in property law and I want to know what are her employment and salary prospects like assuming she is in the top quartile of her class?

Tell her the highlight of the rest of her life will be if she participates in the Guam internship program that John Marshall has.

But only if she's hot.

And if she's hot, don't tell her that 0 people have gotten a job as a result of that program either.

Tell her she might get a chance to touch a live Michigan grad though.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

cerebral posted:

I notice that most of the advice/warnings in this thread have to do with going to law school and getting a job in a major city and going through the big law track, but what are the drawbacks for someone that wants to practice in a smaller town and with a smaller firm?

Unless the small firm you want to practice in is the one you open and run yourself after you graduate, you're going to have just as tough a time finding a job.

The OP and this thread are focused on biglaw because that is really the only conceivable way of paying off astronomical student loans before you die (alone).

As said by Solomon up above, small firms are not hiring either. Well they are hiring, but they're not hiring fresh grads. Brand new JDs with practically zero real world experience are a dime a dozen.

I had the same impression when I began reading this thread as a 2L. "Heh, well I am not some ELITIST, I'll work for a small firm" :smug:

Yeah, that isn't happening either. Underserved areas are underserved for a reason: nobody can pay the legal bills you need to collect in order to pay your massive debt burden. Besides I didn't go to law school so I could start a business I am loving terrible at running a business. But the only way you'll get a job with a small firm these days is if you start your own.

I'll restate a thread refrain for everyone: While going to law school is not ALWAYS a terrible idea, there are a few very rare sets of circumstances that make it a good idea to go to law school. Before you post, your circumstances are not it.

Here's a list:

Going to a Top 14 (not a "regional powerhouse" or one that rates it self next to Columbia because of its library)
Got a Scholarship
Have a job offer in place for when you graduate
Parents are footing the entire bill with no expectations
Are prepared for armed standoff with government agents coming to collect loan payments

If you cannot say two of those off the list apply to you, do not go to law school.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 2, 2011

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Only checking off one thing on this list is also acceptable if you happen to be really good at playing cards on the Internet.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

GamingHyena posted:

I think he means that if you refuse a breathalyzer they've got a magistrate on standby so they can draw your blood.

That makes more sense alone and in context.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010

quote:

I think he means that if you refuse a breathalyzer they've got a magistrate on standby so they can draw your blood.

That's exactly it. The way the system works is if you are pulled over on suspicion of DWI, and you refuse to blow, the officer will immediately take you into custody, and take you to the magistrate court, where they have ADAs, a magistrate, and a fleet of nurses ready to take your blood.

They used to just do this on holiday weekends, but now they are going to have it staffed around the clock. Thus, the need for newbie ADAs who can be forced to work nights pulling search warrants on refusers.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I was just astonished at the idea of never allowing screeners to refuse a case, although I wouldn't put it past some smaller DA's office making a run for reelection on a promise to bring everyone to justice.

The benefit of saying you prosecute everyone would be hugely offset by the hit to your conviction rate, at least in cities with even a modicum of distrust in the police. Not to mention the expense and judicial snarl of pushing everything. In New Orleans they'd end up with a 10% conviction rate.

So I should have thought it through.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Defleshed posted:

Going to a Top 14 (not a "regional powerhouse" or one that rates it self next to Columbia because of its library)
Got a Scholarship
Are prepared for armed standoff with government agents coming to collect loan payments

Does this count as two and a half or am I just down to two?

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I have one of those. gently caress.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

I have one of those. gently caress.

I have three :smugdog:, since I could work at my dad's union-side labor/pension firm in DC, and maybe become an ERISA guru like he is. I'm still kind of amazed that as desperate as lawgoons are, not one has seriously asked me to show him a resume or something. You guys are dopes.

But I have a pretty serious anti-reason, which is that I don't want to be a lawyer, so we'll see if I actually go in the fall.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Defleshed posted:

Got a Scholarship
I have 2-3 of these and still have no job.
Don't go to law school.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

I've got an informational interview with a lawyer who practices in boots.

I know not to wear a suit.

But do I wear:

A) Jeans, a nice shirt, a belt and nice shoes as is the customary wear in Texas;

or

B) Slacks and the same.

Whatever, whatever, just tell him you think I'm really awesome and should be hired as well.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MoFauxHawk posted:

You got your Jemina avatar back! Haaaaaave you listened to her solo album? It's good. Michigan rejected me, by the way, gently caress all you fat nerds.
I like her solo stuff but not quite as much as BYOP

I can't believe Mich rejected you. look at it this way, dean z did you the biggest favour she possibly could have

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Forever Zero posted:

She said she wanted to be closer to her family.. also she decided not to go to University of Mich because she didn't like Detroit and didn't want to practice there.
she is either a liar or a dumb

the Detroit legal market is a flaming shambles, but that has like no bearing on Michigan; almost no one stays in-state unless they want to. 5 minutes of research would have borne that out.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
I have 3 of those. :smug:

Am also prepared for an armed standoff.

Soothing Vapors posted:

she is either a liar or a dumb

the Detroit legal market is a flaming shambles, but that has like no bearing on Michigan; almost no one stays in-state unless they want to. 5 minutes of research would have borne that out.

I applied to all the Detroit firms that came to our OCI in addition to NYC as I figured they'd be good safeties for a lifelong Michiganian. Only Miller Canfield gave me a callback. I don't know anyone who got a job in Michigan, even people who genuinely wanted to stay in the area. It's insane.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
There was one job out there, and I have it. I just accepted my job offer today! :wotwot:

Unfortunately I'm home sick with the flu, and just had two NyQuil inspired nightmares about whether or not I'd get the job when I was woken up by my phone ringing. In my stupor I almost asked my new boss "are you real this time?" but luckily thought better of it. Considering I'm the only person at my current job who practices a particular area of law my boss doesn't really understand, I can't wait to see what his reaction will be when I give my two weeks notice.

I now join the ranks of the hated public servants. Keep paying your taxes boys, I need to retire by 40 assuming they don't eliminate the position 2 weeks and a day from now.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GamingHyena posted:

There was one job out there, and I have it. I just accepted my job offer today! :wotwot:

Unfortunately I'm home sick with the flu, and just had two NyQuil inspired nightmares about whether or not I'd get the job when I was woken up by my phone ringing. In my stupor I almost asked my new boss "are you real this time?" but luckily thought better of it. Considering I'm the only person at my current job who practices a particular area of law my boss doesn't really understand, I can't wait to see what his reaction will be when I give my two weeks notice.

I now join the ranks of the hated public servants. Keep paying your taxes boys, I need to retire by 40 assuming they don't eliminate the position 2 weeks and a day from now.

federal employee holocaust

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

GamingHyena posted:

The jobbed get jobbedier, the unemployed get unemployedier.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Don't go, no jobs, die alone and Italian

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

The world socioeconomic climate is getting pretty ripe for another full-scale global armed conflict. Hope the human race survives this one...

I know people say this a lot, and maybe it only seems this way to me because it's the first time I've taken notice as an adult. But man people are pissed off everywhere and have nothing substantive to blame it on other than the constant corporate rape we've suffered since the industrial revolution. But those guys never get their comeuppance, the blame gets shifted to an ethnic group or a nation or something. :smith:

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 3, 2011

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Defleshed posted:

The world socioeconomic climate is getting pretty ripe for another full-scale global armed conflict. Hope the human race survives this one...

I know people say this a lot, and maybe it only seems this way to me because it's the first time I've taken notice as an adult. But man people are pissed off everywhere and have nothing substantive to blame it on other than the constant corporate rape we've suffered since the industrial revolution. But those guys never get their comeuppance, the blame gets shifted to an ethnic group or a nation or something. :smith:

Before we eat the rich, can we at least wait until I get mine and gently caress off to parts unknown? Thanks.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Before we eat the rich, can we at least wait until I get mine and gently caress off to parts unknown? Thanks.

You mean the moon?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

sarcastic, italian, mean spirited and beautiful? if she can cook ill pay for the immigration and marriage work and we can eat capicola and complain together

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
It's okay if you don't get into a top law school. Just be in the top 10% of your class and then transfer to HYS.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Colorblind Pilot posted:

It's okay if you don't get into a top law school. Just be in the top 10% of your class and then transfer to HYS.

heh

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Colorblind Pilot posted:

It's really top 5% now and all that gets you is a coin flip with top 10 spots, not HYS. You need to be better than that or already go to a good school to have any kind of chance at the top 3.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I don't feel like reading all the posts I've missed since the last time I was here. Did anyone else here get a check from the BarBRI class action settlement?

No dog food for TyChan tonight!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Napoleon I posted:

I applied to all the Detroit firms that came to our OCI in addition to NYC as I figured they'd be good safeties for a lifelong Michiganian. Only Miller Canfield gave me a callback. I don't know anyone who got a job in Michigan, even people who genuinely wanted to stay in the area. It's insane.
I know 4-5 people (including me) in the exact same boat

I applied almost exclusively to Detroit/Grand Rapids firms during 2L OCI and I got my rear end in a top hat savaged. I had exactly the same thought process - thought it'd be pretty safe - but found out later that most Michigan firms had slashed their classes and were recruiting 0-3 summers last year. ugly poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lol it got that bad? Another transfer I knew during 2008 OCI got literally like a dozen callbacks to Michigan firms