Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I found this ad on craigslist that I thought was amusing. I know this sort of attitude is far from limited to photography, but eh.

entitled baby posted:

I'm looking for a new, or very good condition slightly used Canon BG-E2N battery grip for my Canon 50D. Will deal locally only. I'm looking to spend around $100 for a good condition used one, or $125 for a brand new unused one. It MUST be the "N" version, and genuine Canon-brand, with box, and not a generic Chinese-made copy

There's nothing wrong with trying to score a deal on something, but being so goddamn demanding when you are trying to snake an item for $20-30 less than the cheapest price I can find it online isn't how negotiating works. You either pay more than an item is worth and get to be as picky as you want, or you try to pay less than the item is worth and accept whatever you can get. You don't demand top quality at bargain prices.

I kind of want to be a dick and post an ad looking for the same thing and offering $10 more. I don't care that much, though. I thought about sending him the amazon link so he could see what he should be offering, but he probably already knows and is hoping to find some hobbyist who never uses their camera and is just like "$100? yippee!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

...I thought about sending him the amazon link so he could see what he should be offering, but he probably already knows and is hoping to find some hobbyist who never uses their camera and is just like "$100? yippee!"

Sometimes I just don't get Craigslist prices. It is on the internet, theoretically anyone who is capable of posting there realizes Ebay/Google/KEH/Amazon exist to price check.

I'm more upset about the opposite, where it is overprice film gear with "I used to be a pro, and bought this new, so I know what it is worth (FIRM NO HAGGLING)" tacked on the bottom.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jahoodie posted:

I'm more upset about the opposite, where it is overprice film gear with "I used to be a pro, and bought this new, so I know what it is worth (FIRM NO HAGGLING)" tacked on the bottom.

The funniest thing is seeing the same ad with the same tagline pop up every week for half a year while this "pro" tries to unload some cast iron tripod from 1953 for $200.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I was shooting some airplanes taking off and landing today, and a pepsi truck drove by as I was just holding the shutter down :

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is loving awesome :laffo:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Holy poo poo, the timing is perfect with the spacing of the thumbnails.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I would totally stitch that into a panorama.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
That reminds me of this one photo from the "wacky things you can do" section of my photo book.

Makes me glad we have photoshop.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
^^^ Photographer's Handbook spotted.

There is some weird rear end stuff in that book.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

8th-samurai posted:

^^^ Photographer's Handbook spotted.

There is some weird rear end stuff in that book.

Hedgecoe's a real smart guy, though. A lot of the concepts/ideas still apply in the digital age. I liked reading it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Agreed. Basic concepts are basic concepts no matter what camera you shoot with.

I cracked up at the weirdo vignettes and printing on eggs section though.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
AWESOMENESS sliders to the right!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1944668

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

baccaruda posted:

AWESOMENESS sliders to the right!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1944668

I was really surprised at how accurate the instructions in the video are.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

8th-samurai posted:

Agreed. Basic concepts are basic concepts no matter what camera you shoot with.

I cracked up at the weirdo vignettes and printing on eggs section though.

One of my friends has been doing a lot of egg printing for her MFA work. It's weird.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Detroit has been rotting for a long time :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2011/jan/02/photography-detroit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only picture in that series I really liked was the one through the window down to the street, because of the contrast it shows between the abandoned and the inhabited.

Part of this could be because pictures of worn down Detroit have been so common in the last year, making the city seem like a post-apocalypse wasteland. Yet somehow a million people are still living there.

It's kind of played out, and picturing a worn down building next to one that's still maintained seems like a much more interesting photo.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Why are my eyes having a hard time interpreting those pictures? Is that some crazy HDR?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

The only picture in that series I really liked was the one through the window down to the street, because of the contrast it shows between the abandoned and the inhabited.

Part of this could be because pictures of worn down Detroit have been so common in the last year, making the city seem like a post-apocalypse wasteland. Yet somehow a million people are still living there.

It's kind of played out, and picturing a worn down building next to one that's still maintained seems like a much more interesting photo.

I totally agree. I'm so sick of people portraying Detroit like it's some kind of wasteland where people get shot on a daily basis, and completely ignore the regular day to day life and the large parts of the city that are more or less normal or awesome. I mean, come on, where's more of this stuff (not my picture)

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Here's your next must-have purchase guys: http://theauracamerastore.com/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:laffo: Now Only $3497.00 :laffo:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I wish there was camera that could take soul portraits http://iasos.com/artists/erial/celestial-soul-portraits/

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I wish there was camera that could take soul portraits http://iasos.com/artists/erial/celestial-soul-portraits/

I would do that for a laugh if it didn't cost $150 for an 8x10!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Fujifilm Instax 200 - $100 on ebay.

Jellyko
Mar 3, 2010

nonanone posted:

I totally agree. I'm so sick of people portraying Detroit like it's some kind of wasteland where people get shot on a daily basis, and completely ignore the regular day to day life and the large parts of the city that are more or less normal or awesome. I mean, come on, where's more of this stuff (not my picture

The fact that the city has a wealth of slowly crumbing fine architecture which in other cities would either have been restored or bulldozed and the lots redeveloped makes it deserving of photographic attention. Why shouldn't these buildings be as thoroughly documented as possible? Where else can the process of age and neglect be so strikingly portrayed? What better way to remind us Americans of our cultural and architectural heritage which we are often much too quick to forget?

There's reason for photographing the declining areas of Detroit or of any other city that goes beyond sensationalism, especially in the US where urban planning is rudimentary, where public and corporate investment in art and beauty is as much a punchline as a practice, and where history often runs aground on the reefs of progress or profit. I see this set of photos working in that vein rather than trying to exploit some sense of apocalyptic nihilism.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

psylent posted:

Fujifilm Instax 200 - $100 on ebay.

Oof.

Amazon's prices can be pretty hilarious too. $274 for a new Polaroid One-Step 600, $120 for a three pack of Polaroid 600 film - and a page full of reviews of people bitching about how they'd bought it and found the chemistry all dried up.

Then there's some seller trying to get $2000 for a used Instax 200 with three packs of film.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Jellyko posted:

The fact that the city has a wealth of slowly crumbing fine architecture which in other cities would either have been restored or bulldozed and the lots redeveloped makes it deserving of photographic attention. Why shouldn't these buildings be as thoroughly documented as possible? Where else can the process of age and neglect be so strikingly portrayed? What better way to remind us Americans of our cultural and architectural heritage which we are often much too quick to forget?

There's reason for photographing the declining areas of Detroit or of any other city that goes beyond sensationalism, especially in the US where urban planning is rudimentary, where public and corporate investment in art and beauty is as much a punchline as a practice, and where history often runs aground on the reefs of progress or profit. I see this set of photos working in that vein rather than trying to exploit some sense of apocalyptic nihilism.

I feel like it's incredibly important to document, and also that it's been documented to death. Most "urbex" explorers are rich kids from the suburbs looking to show you what Detroit is "really like" or journalists from other areas thinking it'll make a good sob story. (At least, all the ones I've ever met/read about/etc) It's kind of like taking photos of homeless people. Yeah, people should see it. Yeah, it's exploitative and way overdone. After awhile, you just get really tired of seeing photo after photo of "Detroit, the dying city," I've been seeing these kind photos all of my lifetime.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

beeker posted:

Here's your next must-have purchase guys: http://theauracamerastore.com/

Apparently that is the only aural camera endorsed by the person selling the camera.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
There's a cool NatGeo doc on White House photographer Peter Sousa on Netflix if anyone wants to kill an hour. It gets a little repetitive, but the locations and the access Sousa has are interesting, and his relationship with the President is pretty neat. I was personally hoping for a few minutes of nerdy tech talk about camera equipment, post processing, etc. but could only glean that through what was shown.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I was looking forward to photographing Detroit when I was there a few months ago. I had recently seen a BBC documentary called "Requiem for Detroit" and since my shtick is photos of decaying, abandoned buildings (albeit typically in rural settings) I thought I'd love it. Unfortunately, the scope of things are really so large that it is really difficult to capture through a lens. I took a couple dozen shots that were pretty throw-away and gave up. Getting a "Holy poo poo, look at that big building that nobody even cares about anymore" is like shooting fish in a barrel and getting anything that really speaks to the whole problem (which Jellyko more or less covered) is way beyond my abilities.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

The Lillie one actually looks like an improvement.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

ogopogo posted:

There's a cool NatGeo doc on White House photographer Peter Sousa on Netflix if anyone wants to kill an hour. It gets a little repetitive, but the locations and the access Sousa has are interesting, and his relationship with the President is pretty neat. I was personally hoping for a few minutes of nerdy tech talk about camera equipment, post processing, etc. but could only glean that through what was shown.

You can also stream it through the PBS web site for those of us without Netflix: http://video.pbs.org/video/1672209202

It's narrated by Morgan Freeman, so if nothing else you can feel pleasantly calmed throughout. :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow, that was an awesome watch. Thanks!

I can't imagine what it must be like knowing that your photos are a matter of public record and can't be deleted by law. I guess you just have to put that out of your mind.

Also, I wonder what the stats are on how many 5d2 bodies they go through every year.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Richard Nixon was a giant dick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

William T. Hornaday posted:

Richard Nixon was a giant dick.

He did some cool things.. I guess even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21944695@N02/2118401405/

(not my picture, the plaque is attached to the Wilson Hall at Fermilab)

Fermilab is certainly the coolest place I've ever worked, and it needed a number of Nixon's signatures to be made possible.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

xzzy posted:

He did some cool things.. I guess even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21944695@N02/2118401405/

(not my picture, the plaque is attached to the Wilson Hall at Fermilab)

Fermilab is certainly the coolest place I've ever worked, and it needed a number of Nixon's signatures to be made possible.

I'm not saying he had no redeeming value whatsoever, just when it came to photography.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

xzzy posted:

The thing is that back then you could get just about anything done if it meant making a discovery that would allow for killing Russians better.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/05/twitters-golden-egg-location/

Techcrunch used a photo from Strobist dude, David Hobby, without his permission and it wasn't CC attributed. I like how the comments are all dominated by the photo rights discussion and not the article.

There's so many of these types of incidents happening all the time now. Anything I put online, I automatically expect to be used and never even know about it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/05/twitters-golden-egg-location/

Techcrunch used a photo from Strobist dude, David Hobby, without his permission and it wasn't CC attributed. I like how the comments are all dominated by the photo rights discussion and not the article.

There's so many of these types of incidents happening all the time now. Anything I put online, I automatically expect to be used and never even know about it.

This is loving terrible and unfortunately industry practice for bloggers etc

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
"The only person who thinks this photo is about Jack Nicholson is Jack Nicholson." -Stanley Kubrick

Ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Owns.