Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just yell exactly what I mean for my D to hear, because if you expect people to actually remember what you mean when you yell BLUE BLUE BLUE and cover some guy on the backdoor then you're a hopeless optimist.

If there's a guy setting up in the slot uncovered I yell "COVER THE SLOT COVER THE SLOT". There's a really good chance that the other team already knows there's a guy in the slot, and at least this way your team will know it too.

I yell SCREEN if my D is screening me, I'll yell SCREEN HELP if one of the other team is screening me, and to mix things up I'll yell SCREEN if someone THINKS they're covering me but I can actually see just fine and am expecting a shot, that way maybe someone will think they have a good shot when I can shut it down :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I am excited to finally be able to play again. Not so excited cause I have to wear a mouthguard that makes me drool uncontrollably.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Just got my 7500s in last night and the eBay listing was slightly misleading as they have some inline wear on them :wtc:. I still got a good deal, but there's one weird thing with them: there is no knee cradle. Looks like the guy who had them custom made didn't want a knee cradle, because there are no signs of it being cut out. Instead, I only have the two behind the knee leather straps. This seems highly unusual to me. I'll get pics up after I finish breaking them in a bit more. The break at the toe was hardly anything so I'm fixing that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you mean no landing gear at all? I'm certain you can't mean no landing gear at all. Please tell me you don't mean no landing gear at all :psyduck:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

Do you mean no landing gear at all? I'm certain you can't mean no landing gear at all. Please tell me you don't mean no landing gear at all :psyduck:

Oh God no. It has landing gear, just no cradle.

It's missing that velcro strap and the two thinner pads on either side of the knee. It's also missing the two plastic quick release snaps pictured there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ohh. OK. That's actually what I want to remove on my next set of pads too. I'm insanely jealous now. Thanks :stare:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

Ohh. OK. That's actually what I want to remove on my next set of pads too. I'm insanely jealous now. Thanks :stare:

You're welcome. :smug:
I just bought a set of Vaughn knee pads to go with them to see how that'll work with me. I won't get to test them until Monday, though. :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I had my second open hockey in two days. I played well at the beginning, then played pretty lovely during the middle, and finally I calmed down towards the end and played well again. I actually got quite a few comments from the players, which was nice, but a bit weird since I was still letting in some bad goals and Joey Walnuts was playing lights out on the other end.

I did have one play that I was particularly happy about. It was a 2-on-0, I butterflied and made the first save, but the rebound went out towards the circle, so I did backside recovery/butterfly slide going to the left and I stopped the shot off of the rebound. It was a bang-bang play and I surprised myself that I actually got to the puck. Hopefully be able to make more of those plays as time goes on, because those are the kind of plays that make me love goaltending.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
There's nothing more satisfying than hearing someone scream "GODDAMMIT!" after taking a shot on you. I love it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Bradf0rd posted:

You're welcome. :smug:
I just bought a set of Vaughn knee pads to go with them to see how that'll work with me. I won't get to test them until Monday, though. :(
Which knee pads did you get? I have a pair of VKP's and man I don't think I can use 'em after trying to play in 'em for a game.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I love me some velcro knee locks. You're all crazy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I specifically removed mine. Best decision I ever made. I love my floppy pads :3:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

ManicJason posted:

I love me some velcro knee locks. You're all crazy.

Same here. I don't think I'd feel right without em!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

How tight do you guys have your velcro knee locks done? I think I may be over tightening them

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

real_scud posted:

How tight do you guys have your velcro knee locks done? I think I may be over tightening them

I wouldn't say tight at all. I strap them secure, but not tight.

On another subject, I found some silver duct tape (think the color of tin foil) and decided to change my gear again. Before I go to the trouble of finishing the gloves, I thought I'd get some opinions here. What do you guys think?

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

I specifically removed mine. Best decision I ever made. I love my floppy pads :3:

I don't want to remove the velcro knee locks, but my pads have two knee straps that I am seriously contemplating removing. I think they would be fine if I didn't wear knee pads, but as it stands they end up being too tight and seem to hinder my pad rotation.

Does anyone know what purpose the double knee straps serve and while I'm on it what does the final strap above the knee lock supposed to do?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Finally got some of those awesome gatorade water bottles :3:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

gigabitnokie posted:

Finally got some of those awesome gatorade water bottles :3:

LOL you know they're awesome

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Surfing Turtle posted:

LOL you know they're awesome

Yeah they really are.

Are they supposed to leak when you turn them upside down though? Mine do but I thought the whole excitement was they never leaked :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gigabitnokie posted:

Yeah they really are.

Are they supposed to leak when you turn them upside down though? Mine do but I thought the whole excitement was they never leaked :(

They never leak from the nozzle, but the side of the lid is a different story. Still better than most water bottles though.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Aniki posted:

They never leak from the nozzle

Mine were, but I just checked again and they're both fine. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that I had just gotten done washing them in incredibly hot water.

Yay non leaky bottles.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Mine doesn't leak when I put the lid on right lol. Some times I put it on crooked and it leaks a little bit.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I noticed the one way valve doesn't close all the way if you squeeze the water out too gently sometimes.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

So I have a problem in my game that seems to either have been picked up by some guys I play against, or it's been freaky coincidence the last few weeks.

I'm getting killed in shots that miss short side, and rebound out far side for a streaking winger to put home. I almost got across today to make the desperation save, but it got under my pad. My problem is, I'm not sure how I can address this "leak."

I know its the off-wing Dman who should have the winger picked up, but assuming he gets around him somehow, I'm not sure how I can stay up to make it back across. These shots, IMO, are too close to not attempt to make a save on, are just missing (or even worse, are missing high, so I cant get to them, but they can rebound back). It's frustrating the poo poo out of me, because I feel helpless not being able to get there, and they're just cheese goals, IMO.

Gave up one today, again, and it just got me angry the rest of the game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

So I have a problem in my game that seems to either have been picked up by some guys I play against, or it's been freaky coincidence the last few weeks.

I'm getting killed in shots that miss short side, and rebound out far side for a streaking winger to put home. I almost got across today to make the desperation save, but it got under my pad. My problem is, I'm not sure how I can address this "leak."

I know its the off-wing Dman who should have the winger picked up, but assuming he gets around him somehow, I'm not sure how I can stay up to make it back across. These shots, IMO, are too close to not attempt to make a save on, are just missing (or even worse, are missing high, so I cant get to them, but they can rebound back). It's frustrating the poo poo out of me, because I feel helpless not being able to get there, and they're just cheese goals, IMO.

Gave up one today, again, and it just got me angry the rest of the game.

I had that exact same scenario happen to me yesterday. In my case, I was able to get a strong enough push that I was able to butterfly slide into the second shot, but as cool and satisfying as that play is, the best strategy is to not give up that juicy rebound to begin with.

The simplest thing to do is to get your stick on the puck. That way you can either use it to direct the puck to the boards/corners or it will ramp over/into you creating a less dangerous play. That being said, I think that a lot of us have pretty passive stick games, so I know that getting your stick to do more than just cover the 5-hole is easier said than done.

If you have a wide butterfly, then it's possible that the angle of your pads is too flat, which causes the rebounds to bounce out towards the slot instead of out of harms way. You can try using a narrower butterfly, which will have your pads angled in a better position to send the pucks to the boards/corner.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Aniki posted:

I had that exact same scenario happen to me yesterday. In my case, I was able to get a strong enough push that I was able to butterfly slide into the second shot, but as cool and satisfying as that play is, the best strategy is to not give up that juicy rebound to begin with.

The simplest thing to do is to get your stick on the puck. That way you can either use it to direct the puck to the boards/corners or it will ramp over/into you creating a less dangerous play. That being said, I think that a lot of us have pretty passive stick games, so I know that getting your stick to do more than just cover the 5-hole is easier said than done.

If you have a wide butterfly, then it's possible that the angle of your pads is too flat, which causes the rebounds to bounce out towards the slot instead of out of harms way. You can try using a narrower butterfly, which will have your pads angled in a better position to send the pucks to the boards/corner.
Um, I was under the impression that the puck was bouncing off the end boards to the other side...

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

Um, I was under the impression that the puck was bouncing off the end boards to the other side...

My reading comprehension hasn't been the best lately. So basically the shooter shoots wide (blocker side) and the puck bounces off of the boards and the traling shooter gets the puck and shoots trapper side. In that case, the shooters likely figured out that his rink has live boards and they are exploiting it.

The best solution that I can think of is for him to stay on his feet, at which point, he can either try to cut off the puck with his stick before it bounces back out or at the very least, he can get to the top of the crease and is in a better position to cut off the angle and/or T-push/butterfly slide to take away the gloveside shot.

Alternatively he could just play the initial "shot" off of his pads/stick. A lot of NHL goalies will play shots wide of the net like this to prevent pucks from bouncing off of the boards and back in front of the net. It seems like a lot of rinks, particularly in the pros use very live boards, which produce big rebounds.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
It's probably a freak coincidence, the amount of times even an NHL level player can bank a pass perfectly off the boards at that angle at game speed to an oncoming player is small to say the least.

That said, if you're super concerned about it, play deeper in your net so you have less ice to cover to get back to the far side post for the rebound. I wouldn't alter your game too much for something like that, though (as long as you aren't on the extreme end of challenging) - it's your defenders job to make sure that if a play like that happens that the streaking winger/center/whatever doesn't have a clean play on the puck.

It's hard to really offer specific advice without seeing video because there's so many variables that go into exactly what you're describing.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

real_scud posted:

Which knee pads did you get? I have a pair of VKP's and man I don't think I can use 'em after trying to play in 'em for a game.

I got the VKP7700 pads. The reviews seem to have people saying their legs aren't thick enough, but that won't be a problem for me.

e: Marty, I just strapped them on and I don't know how you can have your pads that loose. I like my pads a bit loose, but at the last notch they're hanging really low.

Bradf0rd fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 3, 2011

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
4-4 tie. Water bottles performed greatly. Defense doesn't clear rebounds. Sorry guys sometimes I get handcuffed and they end up in the slot :(

E: With pucks off the end walls, I focus more on the players coming into the zone than the puck. By watching the players body language I can tell where the puck is, and then I can tell a) who is going to get there first and b) where his momentum is taking him. It makes it a little easier to read when a bang-bang play is coming up.

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 3, 2011

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I got one of those "We need a goalie for drop in. Ours is sick" calls yesterday. I show up for an 8pm skate and it turns out to be former college and junior players and it runs until 10:30. They had 11 on each bench, so they were fresh the whole time too.
I don't know how I'm awake right now, let alone walking.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Bradf0rd posted:

I got the VKP7700 pads. The reviews seem to have people saying their legs aren't thick enough, but that won't be a problem for me.
My legs are thick enough, but the issue is that even with that they still slide down your leg after going into butterfly once or twice.

To combat that I put did the straps pretty tight, and used some tape below the kneepads, and also around them and it really hindered me during our game. By the end of it my legs hurt so much from the straps + tape that I was hesitant to get into a butterfly because of the pain.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Deer_fire posted:

It's hard to really offer specific advice without seeing video because there's so many variables that go into exactly what you're describing.

Yeah, it was more me complaining than anything, because it's a tough thing to really make specific advice for. I think I'm probably just going to play a little deeper and just try to get a stick on wide shots. That, and I was thinking that I need to get my head around quicker. I'm following it to the right all the way behind the goal, slowing me down. If I look to my left, I'll be able to track it off the boards better and get to the other side.

Hopefully it's just coincidence, but it's been bothering me.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
Hey Gruven, are you playing for Cobra Kai this season? Josh asked me to play goal for them/you.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

haha, that's the team name of the team I run:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

My legs are thick enough, but the issue is that even with that they still slide down your leg after going into butterfly once or twice.

To combat that I put did the straps pretty tight, and used some tape below the kneepads, and also around them and it really hindered me during our game. By the end of it my legs hurt so much from the straps + tape that I was hesitant to get into a butterfly because of the pain.

I end up taping them as well. I'm currently considering ordering a set of Paw kneepads with a velcro strap added to them so that I can attach them to my pants. I don't want to play without knee protection, yet at the same time I don't have complete faith in the Vaughn knee pads. They've worked when I've needed them to, but I've had times where they slide out of position even when I tape both the top and bottom on. I could be using them wrong, but I really feel that they are a poorly designed piece of equipment.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
I've never done it, but if you're okay with washing your knee pads after every game you could probably sew them onto a pair of compression pants.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

real_scud posted:

Hmmm, I'm thinking I may find a way to attach them to my pads. My order hasn't processed yet, so would I be better off ordering the VKP8800s or the Reebok Premier 2s with the garters?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aniki posted:

I could be using them wrong, but I really feel that they are a poorly designed piece of equipment.
I think that's the biggest thing, plus they're not that comfortable even if they don't slide out of place.

Bradf0rd posted:

Hmmm, I'm thinking I may find a way to attach them to my pads. My order hasn't processed yet, so would I be better off ordering the VKP8800s or the Reebok Premier 2s with the garters?
There isn't really an easy way to attach 'em to the pads, or at least there isn't for me. If I tied them to the holes at the bottom of my Epic 8800 pants then they'd be too low on my leg, and there's no real easy way to get 'em to stay up outside of taking a garter and sewing everything together but even then it might be a bitch.

Personally I'm waiting to find a pair of the RBK Premier 2's because they look both a lot more comfortable and a lot easier to keep in place thanks to the garter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I played a 3 on 3 tourney Thursday that was awesome.

The sheet we play on:

Unfortunately we got smoked by my old team 14-4 in the second game after we were down to five skaters, but the other games were both one goal games, and I played really well.

I'm not sure if it counts to end my competitive game losing streak (26 or so last count after a miserable summer on two miserable teams), but I completely stole the last game. I let in one screened shot, one mad scramble after making three other saves, and one 2 on 1. I had something like five breakaway saves (3 on 3 lol) including two dekes glove side that I plucked clean out of the air. Shots were probably something like 30 to 10 against my team, and we won 4-3 with three unanswered goals in the final half.

Thanks to goal differential being the first tie-breaker and our 14-4 loss, the team we beat in our final game made the playoffs with an identical record. :(

Some day I'll post video of our pathetic 3 on 3 mostly 35+ pickup games for "awwww southern hockey" appeal.

• Locked thread