Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farcus
Jan 11, 2004
Togetha?
This is a very weird request but does anyone know any famous Voltaire pieces/short story/literary publication that is witty but also very poignant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchivalQuality
May 23, 2001

Stop the music and go home.
I repeat, stop the music and go home.
I've never read a Philip Roth novel, so I randomly picked one at the library and ended up with The Counterlife. I'm about one-third of the way through it. While looking at a list of Roth's work on Wikipedia, it has come to my attention that that this book is part of a series revolving around Nathan Zuckerman. Am I screwing up by reading this book and not starting from the "beginning"?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Not at all Zuckerman is just a stand in for Roth, it's not really a series.

Vormav
Jan 28, 2005

Farcus posted:

This is a very weird request but does anyone know any famous Voltaire pieces/short story/literary publication that is witty but also very poignant?

Not sure if it's the best translation (Voltaire himself was both witty and poignant, so the onus is on the translator to bring it out in his/her interpretation), but I have this book, which should have some of what you're looking for.

You can also find some of his essays online. Here is his response to an anonymously published work called The Three Impostors, which denied the existence of God (or a similar divine being).

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm still a literature noob but I've been getting into a lot of postmodern work this year, starting with Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow in the summer. Since then I've read and really liked Danielewski's House of Leaves, Auster's New York Trilogy, and am just about to finish up on Wallace's Infinite Jest. I also really liked Kafka's Trial though I'm not sure it counts. I'm at a loss for whee to go next, so does anyone have some good suggestions?

I mentioned to JoeWindetc The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall.

quote:

It is "experimental" fiction like House of Leaves so you might enjoy it as well. The premise is super cool: An amnesiac is being hunted by a conceptual shark which feeds on metaphor, text, and memory. It wasn't the best book I ever read, but it's very creative.

I also recommend, if you've not yet read him, Jorge Luis Borges. He has a collection called Collected Fictions with a lot of short stories so as not to be too intimidating. :) And not to be redundant as I've mentioned him before, but Haruki Murakami is magic realism or "friendly post-modernism", as I like to think of him. :D His best book is most likely The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Caedus posted:

Ok, so I got a Kindle for Christmas and it just arrived today. I opened it about an hour ago, and it's really awesome. I also got a $10 Amazon gift card along with it.. and I've spent an hour on Amazon trying to find a book to buy.

There is so much stuff on there I'm kind of overwhelmed, so I wanted to ask for some recommendations. The last two books I bought on Goon suggestion ended up being great - The World Without Us by Alan Weisman and Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. So I'm looking for science/history/environmental type books in the same vein.
Anyone have any suggestions for that kind of thing off the top of their head?

it came up a few recommendations back, but if you liked TWWU, definitely check out George Stewart's Earth Abides, which, despite being a 60 year old novel, covers a lot of the same ground. for some similar non-fiction, i really enjoyed The End by Marq de Villiers. for something a little more like GGS, albeit less dense, maybe check out Steven Johnson's Ghost Map.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Prof_Beatnuts: as far as depressing Hemingway goes, "A Farewell to Arms" is the classic recommendation. I found "The Sun Also Rises" a little soul-crushing, too.

WeaponGradeSadness: Have you tried Rohinton Mistry? His book "A Fine Balance," about 4 people of various rank/caste during The Emergency was brilliant. There's a little bit of arranged marriage talk, but that's maybe 10% of the book.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm still a literature noob but I've been getting into a lot of postmodern work this year, starting with Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow in the summer. Since then I've read and really liked Danielewski's House of Leaves, Auster's New York Trilogy, and am just about to finish up on Wallace's Infinite Jest. I also really liked Kafka's Trial though I'm not sure it counts. I'm at a loss for whee to go next, so does anyone have some good suggestions?

Have you read any Nabokov? Pale Fire was a great postmodern book, and you'll be well on your way to understanding it if you could handle the endnotes in Infinite Jest.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Chamberk posted:

Prof_Beatnuts: as far as depressing Hemingway goes, "A Farewell to Arms" is the classic recommendation. I found "The Sun Also Rises" a little soul-crushing, too.

WeaponGradeSadness: Have you tried Rohinton Mistry? His book "A Fine Balance," about 4 people of various rank/caste during The Emergency was brilliant. There's a little bit of arranged marriage talk, but that's maybe 10% of the book.
Hm, I had heard of him but somehow had it in my head that he was like Indonesian or something. That book sounds real interesting, especially since I know next to nothing about about Indira Gandhi/The Emergency. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm at the bookstore. Thank you!

Also, don't worry about the arranged marriage stuff, like I said I'm so crazy about India I even get enthralled by all that girly stuff. I have a couple books that are just straight-up marriage-centric chick-flicks-in-book-form that I bought, read, and enjoyed because it was about India. :gay:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Hey, I'm looking for some good literature that takes place in early-mid 18th century England, preferably London. Anything replete with social commentary is ideal.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
David Liss has a couple of well-written mysteries set in 18th century London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Conspiracy_of_Paper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Spectacle_of_Corruption

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

Read Mrs. Gaskell until your eyes bleed. Choke on the Barchester Chronicles. Roll up a copy of Daniel Deronda and sit on it.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Caedus posted:

Ok, so I got a Kindle for Christmas and it just arrived today. I opened it about an hour ago, and it's really awesome. I also got a $10 Amazon gift card along with it.. and I've spent an hour on Amazon trying to find a book to buy.

There is so much stuff on there I'm kind of overwhelmed, so I wanted to ask for some recommendations. The last two books I bought on Goon suggestion ended up being great - The World Without Us by Alan Weisman and Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. So I'm looking for science/history/environmental type books in the same vein.
Anyone have any suggestions for that kind of thing off the top of their head?

Ecological Imperialism by Alfred Crosby. Same kind of environmental/science/history stuff. I recommend it to anyone who has read and enjoyed Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Bellams
Dec 30, 2010

Oscar Wilde Meets Iggy Pop
Can someone recommend a novel that's stylistically similar to Lolita, but that's not by Nabokov?

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

India!

These are all good reads:
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, India - a Million Mutinies Now, the two books before that and A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul (A bend... is set among Indians in East Africa though, but it's still very much about indians).

Have you considered The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga? Some Kipling?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

rasser posted:

These are all good reads:
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, India - a Million Mutinies Now, the two books before that and A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul (A bend... is set among Indians in East Africa though, but it's still very much about indians).

Have you considered The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga? Some Kipling?
Holy crap, thanks! I've read The White Tiger, and own but haven't gotten around to reading Midnight's Children and a collection of Kipling's India-centric short stories, but I'm definitely adding the others to my wishlist. Thanks again!

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 3, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

end me some good books about India/Indians/Indian-Americans/etc, etc? I don't even really give a poo poo what it's about, fiction, non-fiction, whatever as long as India's involved in some way. I'm not even above the chick-lit "Madhuri's in love with Raj but her parents want her to get an arranged marriage, whatever will she do??? :ohdear:" crap, as long as it offers some insight into the culture of India and/or the lives of its people. For reference, here's what I've got on the subject:
http://www.librarything.com/catalog/ZMBrown/india (I hope this works, I've never actually linked anything on LibraryThing before)

Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy is probably exactly what you're looking for as far as modern/1950's India goes. It clocks in at something like 1500 pages, and it's something of a love story/romance, but mostly it's About India, and as such it's pretty much the king of India-themed fiction, as far as I've been given to understand at least (I haven't read it myself, though I've got a copy sitting on my shelf, waiting).

Kipling's Plain Tales from the Hills is the collection of short stories that first made him a famous writer; may also contain his best overall writing, and definitely the best place to start if you're looking for Kipling on India.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 3, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I was reading some James Rollins, mainly because I like that sorta books. One of his books deals with Die Glocke, which caught my attention.
Now, I know that the Wikipedia page has several suggestions for further reading, but I would appreciate some recommendations from you guys:
I wanna read something about some of the research done into some of the more... esoteric fields, like Zero Point Energy. Not to dry, please, as I'm a mere humanistic bachelor. Stuff about research in flying saucers, death rays and so on.

(Like a more broad version of My Tank is Fight, perhaps. I did enjoy that!)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Theomanic posted:

I mentioned to JoeWindetc The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall.

I also recommend, if you've not yet read him, Jorge Luis Borges. He has a collection called Collected Fictions with a lot of short stories so as not to be too intimidating. :) And not to be redundant as I've mentioned him before, but Haruki Murakami is magic realism or "friendly post-modernism", as I like to think of him. :D His best book is most likely The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

PatMarshall posted:

Have you read any Nabokov? Pale Fire was a great postmodern book, and you'll be well on your way to understanding it if you could handle the endnotes in Infinite Jest.

Facial Fracture posted:

Read Mrs. Gaskell until your eyes bleed. Choke on the Barchester Chronicles. Roll up a copy of Daniel Deronda and sit on it.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I'll probably start off with Nabokov and then work my way through.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I saw Midnight's Children on WeaponsGradeSadness's list, otherwise I would have recommended that as well - loving fantastic book. "The Moor's Last Sigh" is another good one of his, although it has the same main-character-as-allegory-for-India approach.

And I will read A Suitable Boy sometime. Just when I don't have 50+ books sitting around and waiting for me to read them...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chamberk posted:

And I will read A Suitable Boy sometime. Just when I don't have 50+ books sitting around and waiting for me to read them...

Glad I'm not the only one :P

When I read about India I tend to focus on British Imperial India -- such a fascinatingly horrible era. So many things you wouldn't expect to, tie into it -- Sherlock Holme's The Sign of Four to The Secret Garden.

How about George Orwell's On Shooting An Elephant? Burma, not India, but still colonial southeast asia.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Goons posted:

Ecological Imperialism by Alfred Crosby
George Stewart's Earth Abides
The End by Marq de Villiers
Steven Johnson's Ghost Map

Thanks guys! Only Ghost Map is available on the Kindle, but I checked out the other ones and they all seem right up my alley. I got impatient and ended up using the gift card on Power to Save the World: The Truth About Nuclear Energy by Gwyneth Cravens, and it's quite interesting so far.

Even with the Kindle, I still like the idea of physical books so I'll look for the other ones next time I'm in a bookstore.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy is probably exactly what you're looking for as far as modern/1950's India goes. It clocks in at something like 1500 pages, and it's something of a love story/romance, but mostly it's About India, and as such it's pretty much the king of India-themed fiction, as far as I've been given to understand at least (I haven't read it myself, though I've got a copy sitting on my shelf, waiting).

Kipling's Plain Tales from the Hills is the collection of short stories that first made him a famous writer; may also contain his best overall writing, and definitely the best place to start if you're looking for Kipling on India.

Chamberk posted:

I saw Midnight's Children on WeaponsGradeSadness's list, otherwise I would have recommended that as well - loving fantastic book. "The Moor's Last Sigh" is another good one of his, although it has the same main-character-as-allegory-for-India approach.

I had always wanted to get A Suitable Boy, but had been intimidated by its length. I didn't realize it was that well-regarded, though, so it'll get added to my collection. I've also got a couple dozen books that need to get read, so I'll probably tag out and finish something else every couple hundred pages like I had to do with Sacred Games (since ya'll seem to be interested in India, too, I'll return the favor and recommend Vikram Chandra's Sacred Games to you, it's like this awesome mix of detective story, Godfather-style gangster movie, and Bollywood film. Real fun book, but a little over 1000 pages long). I'm glad to hear that The Moor's Last Sigh is good too, I was at a crossroads trying to figure out whether I wanted to get that or The Enchantress of Florence for my next Rushdie.
Thank you both!

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

One India book I've been meaning to read for a while is The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell - it's about the Sepoy revolution. Most of my India reading has been about pretty recent history, so I should get into some of the more colonial-era stuff as well.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm so into India myself, but drat if they don't write good novels about it...

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Chamberk posted:

One India book I've been meaning to read for a while is The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell - it's about the Sepoy revolution. Most of my India reading has been about pretty recent history, so I should get into some of the more colonial-era stuff as well.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm so into India myself, but drat if they don't write good novels about it...
A good book about the Sepoy rebellion is Flashman in the Great Game by George MacDonald Fraser. If you've never read a Flashman novel, don't let the fact that it's an adventure story throw you; it's extremely historically accurate. It's framed as the memoirs of a fictional "war hero" (he's a womanizing, cowardly thief, who manages to bluff, blunder, and luck his way into looking like a great hero), complete with several pages of footnotes to explain historical background. In this one, he's sent to India in 1856 to investigate possible Russian activity (The 'Great Game' of the title was a Cold War of sorts between Russia and Great Britain, complete with the same level of paranoia as the American cold war) and gets swept up in the middle of the Rebellion. The whole series is great, but Great Game is one of the better ones.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Serious Men by Manu Joseph came out last year, it's a really interesting look at caste relations in modern India. It's also a satire on the science and technology boom in India, with the powerful wealthy classes pushing to establish India more on the global stage while completing ignoring most of their problems at home. And it's loving hilarious.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ShutteredIn posted:

Serious Men by Manu Joseph came out last year, it's a really interesting look at caste relations in modern India. It's also a satire on the science and technology boom in India, with the powerful wealthy classes pushing to establish India more on the global stage while completing ignoring most of their problems at home. And it's loving hilarious.
Ha, cool, reading Swarup's Six Suspects has got me wanting to find out more about the caste system. I could use some humor, too--Swarup and Rushdie can be clever and humorous, but I wouldn't call either of them hilarious. Thanks!

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I'll probably start off with Nabokov and then work my way through.

Keep us posted! I'd love to hear what you think of the books - I also am eternally looking for good post-modern literature that isn't pretentious. :)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

calling all you india folks!

caught this on npr this morning and thought it might be of interest:
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/04/132631222/india-calling-the-new-land-of-opportunity

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
@ WeaponGradeSadness:

You might want to read Churchill's speech in the House of Commons after the Amritsar Massacre. He's been a quite harsh imperialist in my eyes but basically describes this military massacre as clear as it stands. It made a great impression on me some years ago.
http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/churchill/am-text.htm
60% down the page a chapter starts with "These obvervations are mainly of a general character, but their relevance..." search for this and read on from there.

After reading that, there is an interesting interview in Harper's Magazine with Madhusree Mukerjee who wrote Churchill's Secret War. The British Empire and the Ravaging of India during World War II (which I have no knowledge about otherwise, but I might buy it).
http://www.harpers.org/archive/2010/11/hbc-90007797

rasser fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 4, 2011

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks to both of you, those were very interesting. I'm glad to hear all that caste restrictions are easing up a bit--I'm planning on living and working there and have been sort of worried about where I'll be sitting as someone who doesn't even have a caste. And rasser, you should get that book if you're interested. I don't know about that one in particular, but the whole history of that time is interesting and kind of sad. I had always thought of it as Gandhi's protests and civil disobedience making the British realize they were a bunch of dicks and leaving, when in reality it was that combined with the fact that Britain had sucked the whole country dry for war-fighting resources in WWII and so were losing money since nothing was coming in from India. While I still think Churchill's good outweighs his bad, he's definitely a more complicated figure than the hard-drinking, wise-cracking badass that won WWII that I always thought of him as. Thanks again to you both, that was some good reading!

edit: India takin' over this thread

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 4, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As an atheistic Westerner who had just been in India for the past three months, I must honestly say that I was surprised to see that the caste system is still alive and kicking in 21st century India, even despite parliamentary efforts to curb its influence. Although I mainly stayed in northern India and interacted primarily with the Tibetan community there, one of the more interesting revelations was had while glancing at the classified ads as I snacked on some cucumbers (a lot of the vegetables and fruits and other food stuffs come wrapped in spare newspaper). There's a lot of emphasis on family background, incomes, level of education (management or IT is widely preferred) and a lot of the ads seemed to have been put in there by the family looking for an arranged marriage rather than the single woman herself.

In any event, I would like a recommendation for books on techniques/motivation for writing a short story or a novel. I have a lot of ideas that I jot down and keep floating around but I have a bad habit of not putting them into action. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 4, 2011

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

OrangeGuy posted:

There's a lot of emphasis on family background, incomes, level of education (management or IT is widely preferred) and a lot of the ads seemed to have been put in there by the family looking for an arranged marriage rather than the single woman herself.

Yeah this happens online too, this is a hugely popular Indian matrimony site: http://www.shaadi.com Pick Hindu for religion and look at the caste list.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ShutteredIn posted:

Yeah this happens online too, this is a hugely popular Indian matrimony site: http://www.shaadi.com Pick Hindu for religion and look at the caste list.
Jeez, that's crazy. How do they even keep up with that? :psyduck:

Also, to Orange Guy, I heard Stephen King's On Writing and The Elements of Style by William Strunk are really highly respected. I haven't read either one of them so I can't give you any first-hand accounts, but Amazon users have rated them both 4.5 out of 5 stars, and they've got hundreds of votes each, so they can't be that bad.

ninja regular edit: On Writing is partly Stephen King's memoirs, so it's not 100% writing guide, but what is there is apparently really good.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 4, 2011

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Jeez, that's crazy. How do they even keep up with that? :psyduck:

Yeah it's complex, but it's almost entirely regional and community based. Nobody using that site knows all of those castes, just some of the ones in their part of the country.

On another note, has anyone here read Ismail Kadare and could recommend where to start?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I got an interesting assignment in one of my computer science classes; I have to comment on a fictional non-humanoid artificial intelligence. What are some good hard science fiction stories that deal with such a subject? I was originally just going to look for an Asimov story involving a non-humanoid robot or something but then thought maybe it would be more interesting to find someone more modern than Asimov or at least different from him (since I read a lot of Asimov as a kid).

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Elements of Style is more of a guide book regarding correct writing. There are some good tips in it, but if you want stuff about plot/characters/pacing, don't look there.

On Writing is solid. I'm not going to go on record saying everyone should follow Uncle Stevie's lessons, but it's an entertaining read with some good insights, especially on publishing. In terms of King works, it's actually one of his best.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Strunk and White's Elements of Style is a useful guide to polish up writing, but it's not really something to help with plot or pacing or anything like that. I'm reading Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running right now and he's got some insights into what helps him write a novel and creative process (although not a lot), so that may be worth checking out.

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I got an interesting assignment in one of my computer science classes; I have to comment on a fictional non-humanoid artificial intelligence. What are some good hard science fiction stories that deal with such a subject? I was originally just going to look for an Asimov story involving a non-humanoid robot or something but then thought maybe it would be more interesting to find someone more modern than Asimov or at least different from him (since I read a lot of Asimov as a kid).

Peter Watts has written about head cheese - genetically engineered computer meats. He talks about them in Starfish and the following books, but they're not the star of the show. However, there is some good stuff in there on the difficulty of understanding how they reason. Peter Watts is a scientist himself so it's pretty feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Falls Down Stairs posted:

my favorite recent usage of AI is the belt valets in David Marusek's excellent short story collection Getting to Know You (and the series inspired by one of those stories). not only are they a nifty extrapolation of current technology, he puts them in a fascinating sociological context. i'm afraid it might not meet the "hard" criteria, however (and no, that's not what she said).

also, have you looked at this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence_in_fiction