Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

dwoloz posted:

Ya, that's another method, thanks. A dado blade would make work a bit faster.

I'm building top bar bee hives like this:

I'm cutting rabets into the ends of the top bars so they positively engage into the box and can't move around. I'll be cutting a whole lot of rabets, 60 per hive box

Hey cool! I made one of these last year.

mid-build:

finished:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Thanks ChaoticSeven, sometimes I just need a couple interim shots to really clarify the "how" part of the process.

As an afternoon challenge, I'd like you all to please convince me to fall OUT OF LOVE with this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/tls/2136506546.html

Seriously look at that piece. I'd take those wooden guards off, too, just for the sex factor increase. As a Shopsmith owner (no bandsaw attachment), I think I could hook this up pretty easily -- maybe even make a special table for it on the SS. On old saws like this, though, what does the modern woodworker "lose out" on, compared to modern saws?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
That reminds me a little bit of what the guy uses on the New Yankee Workshop. He calls it a "re-saw", it seems like it belongs in a lumber mill. It has these huge aggressive teeth, and the blade depth - like from the tip of the teeth to the very back of the blade - is like 3".

He uses it to make book-matched planks out of a single piece of antique wood. They come out amazing, but it is totally out of scope for a home shop worker, I guess. :smith:

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Cobalt60 posted:

On old saws like this, though, what does the modern woodworker "lose out" on, compared to modern saws?
Heh, for me safety would be a blaringly obvious one, blade guards off I'd definitely lose an apron or worse walking around that machine. You can get more than 7" of height on modern machines and cutting up stumps for bowl turning I've needed to before although there's safer ways. 16" clearance is really.. sexy. That's where I'd be using a huge fuckoff metal bandsaw.

You could make a jig out of square pipe that you can clamp to the table to feed material in, I guess the other thing missing is the whatchacallit, the channel you can feed miter guages and stuff through, but there's all sorts of fancy extruded aluminum aftermarket rail/fence etc stuff you can bolt on.

Its cool, I guess the only thing is price, if its in your range it sounds fun?

The shop I took some classes in last year had a larger blade on their saw but it was probably only 1.5-2" deep. I guess you should figure out what blades you can use.

ed- set up a treadle on it and be roy underhill?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Make sure you can find blades for it.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

ed- set up a treadle on it and be roy underhill?

I'm asking you to talk me OUT of it, not instill even more crazy ideas in my head.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Oh, ok, some kind of masochistic thing, I get it.

-Won't be able to find parts for it
-Cast Iron, probably weighs at least 300 pounds.
-It looks like its already on a permanent base, so either you'd have to figure something else out or allot for that size and configuration. Plus, more weight.
-It doesn't got no motor, for a good one plus a 2" pulley like it recommends, might run you in excess of $100.

And that's not including any extra features that aren't necessary but are cushy, like a motor controller/circuit to control cutting speed, like an SF/Min indicators or something, or ultra nice modern fences and bed-ways and stuff.

That's just what comes off the top of my mind.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
But to clarify, I'd only get this thing if I was 100% sure I could hook up a pulley system to my Shopsmith motor. So that's a 1 1/4 HP motor with a wide range of variable speeds. Also, just joking about actually wanting a treadle-driven ... anything. I'm not committed enough to be a real masochist. :effort:

As for price, I'd look to haggle this down. $200 seems like a starting point, if the seller asks me to gently caress off I'm probably better off.

The reason I probably won't actually pull the trigger is that the only "must have" function I use a bandsaw for is re-sawing fairly tall panels for guitar tops & backs. Like cutting a 1/8-inch panel that's 10-inches tall and reasonably long. Anything I'm missing on how to do a cut like this, or is my current method the best for now? Current method is just going to a bigger shop with a huge bandsaw and do the cuts there.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Well, like it says in the craigslist post, you'd need a 2 inch pulley to couple a motor to it, so maybe driving it with a shopsmith would be as simple as finding a pulley of the same belt size as the 2 incher that can fit on the arbor of the shopsmith nicely. Then build a little frame, maybe with turnbuckles on it or something to adjust the distance between the two pulleys and therefore belt tension, do a half decent job on getting it aligned. Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard, but please note that I'm not ALL THAT familiar with the setup of a shopsmith.

I'm very much not an expert, so excuse this dumb question, but:
Is there any reason you couldn't just use a planer? Is it because your goal isn't just to get a 1/8' plank, but to make a 1/4" plank into 2, 1/8" planks (in other words, to save money?)

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

The Scientist posted:

I'm very much not an expert, so excuse this dumb question, but:
Is there any reason you couldn't just use a planer? Is it because your goal isn't just to get a 1/8' plank, but to make a 1/4" plank into 2, 1/8" planks (in other words, to save money?)

Yeah, my words are weak when it comes to describing this kind of thing. I brought back a massive 4"x12"x40 (or so) piece of pretty good rosewood from my vacation in Belize. The wood could make great guitar back and side sets, but I'd need to re-saw thin planks off the log. "How thin" depends on how clean the cut is, but the goal thickness is very thin, like 4mm range.

Does that actually make sense? I'm not even good at explaining this stuff when I have my hands to waggle around ineffectually.

Edit: yes, forgot to mention that bookmatched pieces is a "must" for this, in addition to cutting several panels off the larger slab.

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 4, 2011

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Scientist posted:

Is there any reason you couldn't just use a planer?

Another good reason not to use a planer is you can get bookmatched planks with a bandsaw.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Been watching Wood Whisperer and I'm now convinced I need Japanese hand saws, especially a flush cut

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Check out what this guy can do with a bandsaw:
http://wimp.com/bandsawmagic/

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

The Scientist posted:

That makes me sick to my stomach watching it.

:argh: "Roll your drat sleeves up! And if your fingers are going to be that close to the blade, slow the gently caress down!" :argh:

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

The Scientist posted:

*To balsa wood.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just figured out how I can fit a bandsaw in my wee little garage. I'm just so excited that I had to share with someone. Now to pick out the right bandsaw (again...I was looking at a couple before, with advice thanks to you folks, but I never pulled the trigger at the time.)

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I just figured out how I can fit a bandsaw in my wee little garage. I'm just so excited that I had to share with someone. Now to pick out the right bandsaw (again...I was looking at a couple before, with advice thanks to you folks, but I never pulled the trigger at the time.)

Buy that BEAUTIFUL MOTHERFUCKER I posted above.

Wait, do I just like it because it kind of looks like a really sweet bicycle?? poo poo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cobalt60 posted:

Buy that BEAUTIFUL MOTHERFUCKER I posted above.

Wait, do I just like it because it kind of looks like a really sweet bicycle?? poo poo.

That's funny, a friend just sent me this: http://desmoines.craigslist.org/for/2145687311.html

(I'm not interested, but it seemed topical)

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
I've been slowly reading through this thread because wood working is very interesting, even if I'm not sure if it's a hobby I want to pursue or can really afford. I have a one car garage where I keep my tools, lawn equipment, and other crap.

I was eying up a porter cable jobsite table saw(link) for a few projects. Really I'm looking to build a shed in the back yard to get the lawn equipment out of the garage, cutting wall studs for finishing the basement plus maybe some 45 degree miter cuts for the trim, plus possibly attempting to build a small TV cabinet that I can put a flat screen tv on to replace the enclosed tv cabinet we have now if we upgrade the TV. Nothing fancy, more to just try it myself.

About 20 pages ago someone linked to a website regarding shop dust and the health risks associated with it which freaked me out when I read it. I have no plans on working in an enclosed area and at the very least I'll have my garage door open if not be working in the driveway itself. Other than a respirator that is appropriate for wood dust, should I be considering anything else regarding dust?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Hey, what's up InferiorWang? You are my all time favorite YOSPOS poster. :cheers:

I have a question regarding those job-site table saws: Why don't the seem to make any full sized table saws any more? all of them have super small tables it seems these days. I guess making your own table extension wouldn't be that hard, but I really dig the one the guy uses on the New Yankee Woodshop. Which, for some reason, he uses for literally anything.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
That's funny because you're mine!

In my limited research into table saws, the reason you're thinking that is probably because that's all you probably see at lowes and home depot. The higher end manufacturers sell larger table saws you don't see in the DIYer geared stores.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't go to home depot or lowe's if you want a full size table saw. Also, don't buy one of those job-site sized tablesaws in the first place. You'd be better off just getting a skillsaw or a compound miter or both.

Re: shop space: I have only a one-car garage that would BARELY fit my wife's corolla if it were completey devoid of all other matter, had no shelving on the walls, etc. In that garage I have an 8-foot work-bench, a 13" planer, a 55-gallon waste bin for planer dust, a drill press, a router table, a tablesaw with 35 inches of fence travel, a set of utility shelves, a hutch that will probably never get refinished as planned, two large motorcycles, and a lawnmower. Never underestimate what you can fit in your garage if you're willing to shuffle things around to use them. Yes, I have to open the garage door and move the motorcycles and lawnmower out if I want to use the tablesaw or planer, but it works. And I'll be cramming a bandsaw in there as well this spring.

Wheeled bases are your absolute best friend when trying to build any sort of shop in a cramped space, hands down.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
What do you mean by skillsaw? Do you mean a circular saw?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Scientist posted:

That will definitely inspire many youngsters to cut off a few fingers.

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!

InferiorWang posted:

A lot of people call circular saws Skillsaws, I guess it's like how people call every soda Coke the further south you travel.

I had a boss once that called the sawzall a "saw-saw".
\/ \/ \/

Ampersand-e fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 6, 2011

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

InferiorWang posted:

Yeah. Circular saw is technically any saw with a circular rotating blade, including compound miter saws, table saws, etc. where as skillsaw was just the brand that became the product, like kleenex. I just say skillsaw because I'm used to it and it usually lends to less confusion.

I also say sawzall, and usually someone busts out the :pseudo: and says reciprocating saw, but of course that also includes jigsaws, scrollsaws, etc. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_saw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocating_saw
etc.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
What exactly is a saber saw? Is it a reciprocating saw or a Jig Saw?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ampersand-e posted:

I had a boss once that called the sawzall a "saw-saw".
Wow, that's...something. I can imagine it getting mangled to that through a series of thick accents, deaf people, and lazy retellings, though.

The Scientist posted:

What exactly is a saber saw? Is it a reciprocating saw or a Jig Saw?

Yes it is a reciprocating saw, no it is not a jigsaw. A sawzall would be the Coke/Kleenex of sabresaws.

I'll just keep linking wikipedia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jigsaw_(power_tool)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabre_saw (no image there, GIS the same name)

When it comes to terms like "circular saw" and "reciprocating saw" there's a whole lot of square/rectangle/rhombus/quadrilateral stuff going on.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 6, 2011

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I admittedly do a lot more metal poo poo than wood, but for me, my reciprocating saw eliminates the need for a band saw, a scroll saw, sometimes a grinder (though I have one), sometimes a jig saw (though I got one of those, too. Got an outdated but brand new firestorm display model jigsaw for $5 from lowe's, we got a firestorm cordless kit but for some reason our batteries are 18v as opposed to the 24v of the jigsaw. doesn't matter; I hooked on of our batteries to it with alligator clip leads and it seemed to work), and sometimes chainsaw.

Its one of those tools that make me thankful for living in 2011.

addendum: I had toyed with the idea of making a frame supporting the reciprocating saw upright, with the blade facing down, and then have a flat table with (a) fence(s) and a zero-clearance insert, underneath which would be a couple bearings to receive the reciprocating blade. I guess I could use this as a kind of bandsaw/scroll saw facsimile. What would you guys think?

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 6, 2011

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I can't help but think of a sabresaw as anything but the sledgehammer of the sawing world. It's fine for cutting away at hunks of metal on the tow bar on the underside of your 76 chevy pickup, but for anything requiring even the tiniest bit of finesse? :pwn:

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!
I got one of these for christmas

Fuego Reciprocating Saw

It's a little less aggressive than a sawzall because the blade only moves about 1/2 an inch, kind of like a jigsaw you hold like a sawzall. Works pretty good so far, a nice compromise between a jigsaw and a sawzall.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I can't help but think of a sabresaw as anything but the sledgehammer of the sawing world. It's fine for cutting away at hunks of metal on the tow bar on the underside of your 76 chevy pickup, but for anything requiring even the tiniest bit of finesse? :pwn:

The guy who used to do the building maintenance where I lived used one for everything. Cutting drywall patches, metal frames for blinds, you name it. He was also brutally dangerous with it, doing things like cradling it in one arm and holding the object to be cut in the other hand. But, I'll be damned if I ever saw him mess up a cut.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

InferiorWang posted:

I was eying up a porter cable jobsite table saw(link) for a few projects. Really I'm looking to build a shed in the back yard to get the lawn equipment out of the garage, cutting wall studs for finishing the basement plus maybe some 45 degree miter cuts for the trim, plus possibly attempting to build a small TV cabinet that I can put a flat screen tv on to replace the enclosed tv cabinet we have now if we upgrade the TV. Nothing fancy, more to just try it myself.

I have a Delta contractors saw that seems the same as that one with an extra wing and a solid base.
My gripes, the blade height and angle adjustment wheels are cheap flimsy plastic and flex. The short table is a little annoying and makes aftermarkets fences off limits. The table insert for the blade is non standard with only two adjustments instead of 4 which limits aftermarket replacements and it requires handmade shims to level it properly to the table. The direct drive motor is crazy loud and not all that powerful. The wings needed to be manually bent (they're thin metal) to be perfectly level to the table
All in all, very unimpressed with the low end Delta, but you as always get what you pay for. It does what its supposed to just fine though and for someone new to woodworking, it would be a good start

A miter saw would be perfect for trim and crosscutting 2x4s though

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

InferiorWang posted:

I was eying up a porter cable jobsite table saw(link) for a few projects.

Except for the tv cabinet, a chop saw would be better for those projects. I would avoid buying a jobsite saw unless you are a carpenter who actually needs a portable tablesaw.

Bad Munki posted:

I can't help but think of a sabresaw as anything but the sledgehammer of the sawing world.

Assuming you mean jigsaw, there is a world of difference though between a quality and a cheap jigsaw. I bought a nice Bosch a few years ago and it is a great tool. If you mean reciprocating saw then I fully agree. My recip saw is possibly one of the best purchases I've ever made, I love that thing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nope, I meant sabresaw, aka sawzall.

Put a nice fine blade in a jigsaw and you can do great things. And while sabers are great for a LOT of different jobs that no other tool can really accomplish, at least not in the same amount of time and effort, they are, quite simply, crude. :)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'd never heard of a Sawzall style saw called a saber saw until this thread, although if you google it you get mixed results between jig saws and 'Sawzalls'. I guess, they are similar in many ways.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

wormil posted:

Except for the tv cabinet, a chop saw would be better for those projects. I would avoid buying a jobsite saw unless you are a carpenter who actually needs a portable tablesaw.

I was looking at that model based on price, admittedly vague lowes reviews, and I believe you can actually use up to a 1/2" dado in it. Being able to "pack it up" and store it out of the way was a consideration as well. Any suggestions on a table top model at that price point? I could always build a cart for it riding on casters to move it into the driveway when I need it. I'm realistically not buying anything over 300 bucks unless there's significant safety concerns I'm ignoring(gemorris talked about riveting knives earlier in the thread which I'm not entirely sure applies to what I would be looking to do with it...now).

On the other hand, I could look at a 10" miter saw and maybe a basic plunge router kit for dados for the same total price of that table saw. I don't know how comfortable or interested I am in ripping larger pieces of plywood with a table saw in the first place. I've seen some videos where I could probably be just as good off with a home made jig/fence and my $50 skil circular saw and an upgraded blade for larger rip and crosscuts. The material is basically on the ground sitting on some studs to get it directly off the ground. It seems safer to me.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
I've now wasted a bunch of maple and walnut trying to make one of http://lumberjocks.com/LateNightOwl/blog/18277 those with a jigsaw because I'm too cheap to find a used bandsaw.

Goddamned blades not staying square when you turn sharply.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wormil posted:

I'd never heard of a Sawzall style saw called a saber saw until this thread, although if you google it you get mixed results between jig saws and 'Sawzalls'. I guess, they are similar in many ways.

I generally go by what the companies selling them actually call them. I've never seen a jigsaw listed as a sabre in a store or catalog, whereas they list sawzall-style reciprocating saws as sabres all the time, right there on the boxes. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
How is everyone still feeling about their shopsmiths? I don't have a table saw or lathe, and I saw the first shopsmith on my craigslist in 6 months this morning. He's asking $1200 obo, I'm thinking more like $700.