Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I run at 1440x900, I guess I should try getting a bigger monitor, this 19in is a bit old and I can see about how it handles larger resolutions.

Actually now that I think about it I should hold off on the hardware, DiRT 2 is gorgeous and New Vegas has no problems, maybe its just my monitor.

As for mouse talk, anyone here use the G500? I've been a solid MX510 user until mine finally was down to just two working buttons and the laser went out. Got the G500 and can't really seem to find anything better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
RPS posted their most anticipated PC games of 2011 list earlier today. Gonna be a good year. :)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Devil Wears Wings posted:

RPS posted their most anticipated PC games of 2011 list earlier today. Gonna be a good year. :)

Holy balls, are those really all coming this year? It's going to be a good year indeed.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What sort of equipment should I get if I want to easily control the volume of my headphones and I don't have a multimedia keyboard? I have a pair of HD555 and onboard audio.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

I'm honestly really, really looking forward to Rage this year. id Software has always been one of my favorite devs and it will be interesting to see what they do with their own post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Wronkos fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 3, 2011

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

kri kri posted:

What sort of equipment should I get if I want to easily control the volume of my headphones and I don't have a multimedia keyboard? I have a pair of HD555 and onboard audio.

If you're just asking about how to control system volume without a multimedia keyboard, there are a couple freeware programs that'll let you do it with keyboard shortcuts. One I'm partial to is 3RVX, which comes with a variety of skins and is fairly configurable.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

404notfound posted:

If you're just asking about how to control system volume without a multimedia keyboard, there are a couple freeware programs that'll let you do it with keyboard shortcuts. One I'm partial to is 3RVX, which comes with a variety of skins and is fairly configurable.

Oh now this is pretty cool!I have a DAS Keyboard, and I was pretty upset that I had to give up the media keys. This works mighty fine...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ringo Star Get posted:

I run at 1440x900, I guess I should try getting a bigger monitor, this 19in is a bit old and I can see about how it handles larger resolutions.

Actually now that I think about it I should hold off on the hardware, DiRT 2 is gorgeous and New Vegas has no problems, maybe its just my monitor.

As for mouse talk, anyone here use the G500? I've been a solid MX510 user until mine finally was down to just two working buttons and the laser went out. Got the G500 and can't really seem to find anything better.

What you've got in terms of processor/GPU is fine for that res, so I wouldn't worry too much if you're happy as you are. If you get up towards 1900x1080 I'd start looking at upgrading but you can probably run a ton of stuff at medium/high with no problems now and for a while yet.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh man I chose a good time to jump back into PC gaming

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Because of this list and the fact my system still runs every game I've thrown at it on high settings, I may just delay upgrading my system so I can buy the games I want. And I already have my CPU and GPU overclocked as much as I'm comfortable with as well. Bulletstorm, Portal 2, Rage, Diablo 3, TES V: Skyrim, and Crysis 2 look awesome. Isn't BF3 coming out this year too?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

spasticColon posted:

Isn't BF3 coming out this year too?

There's no announced release date right now, so it might slip into 2012.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just picked up the Gamestop Brand of Xbox 360 controller since Microsoft apparently doesn't make em directly anymore. Should I expect it to be as good?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
How the gently caress am I gonna buy all those awesome games? Thats a huge list of awesome rear end games.

Ned_Perfel posted:

Agreed. Cheaper and easier source of performance to buy a nice heatsink/fan and ramp it up to 4.0

I'm too scared of overclocking :3:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Brace posted:

It's really not risky, and what are you going to lose? Parts you're talking about replacing anyway.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Brace posted:

It's actually really hard to screw up overclocking if you're not a moron. Just read a few guides online and go to town. There's even a helpful SH/SC thread you can consult on the off-chance that something goes wrong.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Eh, over-volting is a real risk.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Just picked up the Gamestop Brand of Xbox 360 controller since Microsoft apparently doesn't make em directly anymore. Should I expect it to be as good?

What? Why the gently caress would Microsoft stop making 360 controllers? You know any wired 360 controller works out of the box, regardless of whether it's labelled "For Windows" or not, right?

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

SwissCM posted:

Eh, over-volting is a real risk.
If you're a moron and confuse +0.125 for +12.5, sure. You don't even have to overvolt to overclock.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Taffer posted:

Yup. Consoles are literally holding games back in every aspect. Graphics, difficulty, memory requirements, and so forth.

You'd prefer a tough PC-only game that required a beefy CPU? I heard that worked out great for Crysis.

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Footboy posted:

You'd prefer a tough PC-only game that required a beefy CPU? I heard that worked out great for Crysis.

Crysis doesn't require a beefy CPU at all though

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Footboy posted:

No? Way to miss the point.

Examples:

TF2 can't be updated on consoles because of memory limits
Many games delay updates for very long periods of time in order to release PC and console updates together, because they have to wait for the approval process on a console. This makes things take forever and is just generally annoying for everyone.
Menus that don't functions, keys that can't be rebound
Games that are ported and not playtested or optimized for PC. AKA buggy laggy piles of crap
Games with a skill curve geared toward analog sticks and not mice.
Games that limit AI ability due to processing power,
etc etc.

Out of all the ways consoles are holding back gaming, graphics are the least. However, it's just another one of the many ways that consoles are basically ruining any gaming that isn't uber-casual. Don't get me wrong I like casual games too, but I still want a game that has a skill curve and isn't easy as pie after 30 minutes like literally every console game I have played since 360/ps3 came out.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 4, 2011

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What? Why the gently caress would Microsoft stop making 360 controllers? You know any wired 360 controller works out of the box, regardless of whether it's labelled "For Windows" or not, right?

Oh :downs: I don't know it was something the gamestop employee was saying when we were bullshitting about games.
Must of misheard him or something because I was barely listening to him anyways, while he talked to me.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Footboy posted:

Crysis was more of a tech demo than a game. It was all about selling CryEngine 2 and reaping the benefits of licensing. Just like the holy grail that is Unreal Engine 3 and Unreal Tournament 3. Nobody liked UT3 but everybody uses UE3 ranging from Gears of War to Mirror's Edge to Mass Effect.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
More like "Microsoft stopped making WIRED 360 controllers," from what I understand, and haven't licensed out "wireless 360 controller" to anyone else, so to my knowledge all third-party 360 controllers are wired.

*Using a Microsoft wired 360 controller*

The answer re: whether to upgrade the video card -- are the games you want playing fast enough (CONSISTENTLY) for you at the settings you find acceptable? (For example, I haven't tried Black Ops in 1920x1080, but I was able to get ~30 fps on average at 1600x900 with AA 2x, using the MSI R5770 HAWK 1 GB, while ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead's shooting tutorial ran acceptably at 1920x1080 with default video settings.)

I'm not sure whether monitor size as opposed to resolution makes a difference, though. (Both my current 21.5 inch ASUS monitor and the 40 inch Toshiba HDTV support 1920x1080.)

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Did you really have to type out all those brand names?

This post brought to you by Coke-Cola

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Planetside NEXT?

Let me tell you, Planetside Beta was among the best moments I have ever had gaming. If they make it like that, well, it will be grand.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Planetside NEXT?

Let me tell you, Planetside Beta was among the best moments I have ever had gaming. If they make it like that, well, it will be grand.

They couldn't even make Planetside like Planetside Beta. Just ignore everything about it until a few months after release and maybe if it turns out good you'll be pleasantly surprised.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Magnificent Quiver posted:

They couldn't even make Planetside like Planetside Beta. Just ignore everything about it until a few months after release and maybe if it turns out good you'll be pleasantly surprised.

No, the secret is to be in the BETA

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

I can't say I'm too excited for many of those, but here are the ones that I've been eagerly awaiting, or that caught my eye:

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution: I've been looking forward to this since Invisible War. Some of the dev's decisions I agree with, some I don't, but this is far and away my most anticipated game for 2011 release. Pleeaasseee don't gently caress this up!

2. Xenonauts: A proper XCOM remake with a cool Cold War setting? Yes please! I've been regularly checking the dev's site for a while now, but the time limit they put on preorder refunds--if its not released by 12/31/2012--doesn't give me a ton of confidence for a 2011 release.

3. Infinity Universe: This looks like an awesome space sim and I've been following development for a while, but it's an indie game and not going too quickly, so like RPS I'm not sure if it's a 2011 release.

4. Dead State: A zombie RPG, the fusion of two genres which I've been waiting on for a while. I picked up Fort Zombie for real cheap but bugs and performance issues sort of sink it. Really looking forward to this one.

5. XCOM: I'm a huge fan of the original, but my confidence in this remake isn't very high. I'm more interested to see how 2K will translate the classic into a FPS. Even if it's not a good X-COM game, it could still be a good game. It looks like it may be more similar to an X-Files type thing, which is fine with me.

Honorable Mentions:

Space Marine : This game has been in development for a while. After how disappointing Fire Warrior was, I'm hoping this is a more successful Warhammer 40k action game. The videos look cool, but then again, they always do.

Men of War: Assault Squad and MOWAS: Vietnam: I'm really looking forward to these installments in the "of War" series because they will supposedly return the focus to infantry combat. The new coop skirmishes are also awesome, as is the addition of the Japanese as a playable nation. MOWAS: Vietnam also marks the first RTS set in the Southeast Asian conflict since the god-awful Platoon game. I've been in on the MOWAS beta for a while and am enjoying the hell of out it, but ultra-heavy tanks are still pretty game-breaking, even with the new APCR ammunition. Balance also seems to be an issue, generally nations with better tanks kick more rear end in both single- and multiplayer. Its also ridiculous that some armies get puny AT rifles instead of rocket launchers, they're really effective against armored cars only and even then not particularly efficient. I don't know what the Japanese had in that department, but the Brits had PIATs and the Russians had both bazookas and RPGs, yet they only get worthless heavy rifles in the game.

Six Gun Saga: After getting the shaft on a port of Read Dead Redemption, I'm eagerly awaiting another addition to the small group of PC Western games. I think the original intent of a roguelike would have been cool, but development plans have changed and now it's some kind of card game.

Subversion: Big fan of Introversion's previous games (Darwinia, Uplink, DEFCON) and this procedurally-generated heist game probably won't disappoint. After reading the company's blogs, however, I'm starting to think that development sort of lacks direction, so I'm not sure what the final product will look like.

Shogun 2: Total War : I love this series--the fusion of tactical battles with a relatively deep strategic overview is really fantastic and gives the games a ton of replayability. Of course, we all know what happened with Empire: Total War--still a shoddy game after a year of patching, but one with loads of potential. In the end, bugs, poor campaign AI, and the computer's inability to use gunpowder troops effectively really sunk this one. Napoleon really fixed a lot of its problems, but obviously it was too little too late for a lot of longtime fans. It did, however, prove that Creative Assembly is still a drat fine developer as long as it restricts itself to a smaller scope--hopefully this, and a return to the time before lines of musket-bearing infantry, will make Shogun 2 a great addition to the series.

Thoughts on these? What other 2011 PC releases are ya'll looking forward to?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Taffer posted:

No? Way to miss the point.

Examples:

TF2 can't be updated on consoles because of memory limits
Many games delay updates for very long periods of time in order to release PC and console updates together, because they have to wait for the approval process on a console. This makes things take forever and is just generally annoying for everyone.
Menus that don't functions, keys that can't be rebound
Games that are ported and not playtested or optimized for PC. AKA buggy laggy piles of crap
Games with a skill curve geared toward analog sticks and not mice.
Games that limit AI ability due to processing power,
etc etc.

Out of all the ways consoles are holding back gaming, graphics are the least. However, it's just another one of the many ways that consoles are basically ruining any gaming that isn't uber-casual. Don't get me wrong I like casual games too, but I still want a game that has a skill curve and isn't easy as pie after 30 minutes like literally every console game I have played since 360/ps3 came out.

Demon Souls
Any fighting game

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
When setting up, does number of HDD partitions matter?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Chortles posted:

I have Windows on it's own SSD disk, and a 1TB HDD partitioned in two chunks.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
E: reading tweak guides.... My question was too vague and the answer too complex.

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 4, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Chortles posted:

Depends on how many hard-drives you have and how big they are. If you only have one, I recommend putting Windows on it's own partition and have a big partition for your data. That way you can reformat Windows without having to backup your stuff beforehand (I still recommend backing up once in a while). Keep in mind that bigger hard-drives will take longer to defrag, so splitting it up into multiple partitions will help as well. Consider doing a duel-boot with Windows XP in case there's that old game you want to play but doesn't perform well on 7.

SSDs are great for boot drives and a few games you want to reduce load times on.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
About partitions:

I have three HDDs in a RAID 0 setup, but I'm thinking about partitioning off a smaller section of the whole to install OS X because my parents are just in love with it and I'm the default troubleshooter. Unfortunately, since I use Windows 7 it's not always easy for me to figure out what they're having issues with, so having my own "sandbox" to mess around in would be awesome.

Will I be able to partition off a small bit of the three drives without losing my data? If the answer is going to involve a backup, I may just purchase an external drive for backups as well as to hold that operating system.

Also: Is there an easy way to tell if OS X will even run on my system? I suppose I'm mostly worried about the GPU.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Red Baron posted:

Will I be able to partition off a small bit of the three drives without losing my data? If the answer is going to involve a backup, I may just purchase an external drive for backups as well as to hold that operating system.

Yes, assuming you have enough free space. It's mostly risk free, although yes, I would never partition my drive without backing up everything on it first.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Through the Steam sale I bought a bunch of stuff, including some PC ports of games I had played on consoles before. One of them is Dead Space (which I rented before but didn't finish), but I swear that the PC version has some serious lag in the input, relative to the console version (whether I use a m+k or my 360 pad). Am I just imagining things?

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006
Nope, there's some v-sync issue. http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42453/Dead-Space-PC-Mouse-Lag-Work-Around

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

seregrail7 posted:

Nope, there's some v-sync issue. http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/42453/Dead-Space-PC-Mouse-Lag-Work-Around
Wow, that fixed it like a motherfucker. How the hell did I even play PC games before the internet anyway? Who knows how many games in the past I just gave up on because of some very destructive bug with a bizarre solution that almost no one would think of easily?

On the other hand though, there are still problems like the comically long load times on Bioshock that apparently no one has a solution to, other than to get a different video card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I was thinking about getting Dead Space for PC because after playing the Dead Space 2 demo on the PS3 I realized that I'm spoiled by mouse aiming and therefore suck at aiming with an analog stick. Is the game any good?

This may be a stupid question but are any games in the near future going to require a triple or quad-core? I'm still rocking a C2D E8400@3.4GHz which is all I could muster out of a gimped C0 revision Wolfdale CPU but its still a dual-core no matter how much I managed to overclock it. I'm leaning more toward waiting until this spring when AMD releases their new chips and the prices on Intel's new chips stabilize that is unless a killer app is going to come out within the next 4-5 months that's going to need something faster than an overclocked E8400 and overclocked GTX260 core216. I'm sure I'm set with the video card but with the CPU I'm not sure. Games like Crysis 2 and Rage are my biggest concern.

I really wish they would give us system requirements a month or two in advance to give us time to shore up our gaming rigs.

• Locked thread