Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Holy crap, I read through 69 pages of cat thread! I feel like a responsible cat slave now :)

Sooo I guess it's time to introduce my own little fluffy bundle. This is Grumples McTank:

"Mrow"

He's two years old and has FIV. We got him from the Cats Protection shelter near us (we're in England) and he'd apparently been a stray for a long time, before spending another long time in the shelter while all the kittens got new homes and he was left behind.

Someone fostered him for a bit but brought him back because he was "too noisy" - they even gave us a factsheet about noisy cats when we got him, which made me think he must howl all night or something. But he doesn't at all - he meows when he wants attention or in response to being called, but it's the most adorable weedy meow and not annoying at all. Some people are wayyy too sensitive.

Anyway, Grumples has been with us for two weeks now and is the best cat ever. He's affectionate, comes when you call him, and follows us everywhere. We've taught him to play with Da Bird and he likes catnip (big surprise!).

I had a couple of questions if anyone fancies answering them:

1. Grumples is quite skittish still and scared of loud noises. Is there anything I can do to make New Year's Eve easier for him, with all the fireworks?

2. The shelter were feeding him Purina ProPlan Indoor Adult food, which we've kept him on for now. I checked the cat nutrition thread but couldn't find it in there, and it's quite US-focussed - does anyone know if this food is OK to keep him on or if I should be looking at something else? And if something else, it'd need to be something I can get easily in London - say from the Pets at Home site or wherever.

That's it for questions, so here are some more photos of my moggy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Congrats, he sounds awesome. For the skittishness, I'd just make sure he has easy access to whatever his favorite hiding spot is. My cats are also skittish little babies and sometimes they'll stop being afraid of a scary noise over time but it usually takes a lot of repetition before they figure it out on their own. Just let him be a big gay baby so he can feel safe until it's over.

As for the food, I wish I could help but I'm a dirty 'Merican too. I did a quick search through the pet food thread and couldn't find any particularly helpful posts that weren't a few years old so I'd just drop in and ask. After a few people answer maybe someone could get the OP to update the first post for Brits.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Update on the sick kitty -

So, he started pooping completely normal, no vomiting, and my vet didn't hear any huffing sounds while he was there for 3 days or so. All the bloodwork came back normal - kidneys, liver, and thyroid. Apparently what had happened was they saw a small mass in the stomach in the xray or barium swallow, but after he threw up that giant hairball, they re-checked and the mass was gone, so that solves that.

But...for the barium swallow, it went right through him! It would make sense that he eats like he has a tapeworm and is losing weight. She was unsure why the barium swallow went through so fast but this hairball got stuck.

Anyways, I'm pretty frustrated. In the end she said basically that he chews kind of funny, so either he has a deadly tumor in his jaw or in his heart, or it's nothing, but she doesn't think it's worth checking because he's basically a dead man (cat) anyways. She said he's always been sickly so who knows what it is.

After we left I told my mother I wanted a second opinion, and she agreed luckily. I saw him for the first time today since August and he feels emaciated - I can feel his spine and his hip bones and we aren't feeding him any differently from how we always have been.

So, second opinion sometime this week. I really hope it isn't cancer :(

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Anyone else had an issue with World's Best litter leaving the cat covered in powder that they then track all over your clothes when they sit on your lap? Is there any way around it?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Shnooks - Sorry to hear that, I'm glad that you are keeping us updated though.

marshmallard posted:

Anyone else had an issue with World's Best litter leaving the cat covered in powder that they then track all over your clothes when they sit on your lap? Is there any way around it?

I use Swheat Scoop and sometimes this happens to me but not often. I have a mat outside their litter box entrance and there's also a rug nearby that they walk all over. I think that helps since I've only had it happen a couple times. If you already have a mat and shag carpet outside the litter box then that might not be the problem though . . .

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

HondaCivet posted:

Shnooks - Sorry to hear that, I'm glad that you are keeping us updated though.

I use Swheat Scoop and sometimes this happens to me but not often. I have a mat outside their litter box entrance and there's also a rug nearby that they walk all over. I think that helps since I've only had it happen a couple times. If you already have a mat and shag carpet outside the litter box then that might not be the problem though . . .

We've got hardwood floors, unfortunately. So should I get something like a carpet-ish doormat to put beside the litter box?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

marshmallard posted:

We've got hardwood floors, unfortunately. So should I get something like a carpet-ish doormat to put beside the litter box?

Definitely. We use World's Best and putting it on a matt really helped.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Oh god yes, that should really help. There are cat litter specific mats and things but you don't have to bother with them if you don't want to, just a rug or some fuzzy doormats would work just as well. Just don't get anything that would be uncomfortable for them to step on or they'll avoid walking on it which would of course defeat the purpose.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm in a fix at the moment.

About 7 weeks ago, I aquired some brand new kittens + quasi-feral mother from the alcoholics a couple of houses down (I thought the guy was homeless, he's not, he just begs. Close enough) , anyway, I've been feeding them, and raising them, and they are now 6x super hyperactive and mega cute kittens, with beaming if not slightly skinny (hey thats a lot of kitten she's had to feed) mother. I've been mainly feeding them a combination of adult whiskas brand catmeat, and kitten biscuits all mushed in.

They are now all eating solids, and mother is gradually losing interest. So its time to give them away.

This is how little I know about cats: When I went to sell them on the local craigslist type site, gumtree, after taking my money (meh, $12 whatever) the ad was revoked because I did not state if the cats where vaccinated , wormed and microchipped. I've had to google "microchipping" cats, because I never heard of it. Never had a cat in 10+ years (A flatmate had one once) , all this poo poo is new to me.

So to get rid of these kittens, I have to spend about 3-4 hundred in vaccinations and microchipping.

But my company just collapsed , I have about that much in the bank, and I'm not eligible for welfare :(

Is it ethical to sell (well, give away, I dont really want money, I just want a nice home for these little tykes) these kittens via other means? I really don't want to take these guys to an animal home, and it seems cruelly ironic that a measure designed to prevent abandoned kittens (you get the cat sterilized and they microchip it to assert that) means I cant afford to give them away to nice homes and will have to take them to a shelter

:sigh:

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
another thread update:

Nova is doing MUCH better. We're starting the second round of her giardia treatment, but my guess she's already cured. Her appetite recovered after a week or so off the medicine. It took a bit longer than I thought it would be, which could just be because she's older and has been sick for so long. She now has nice healthy poops and is as active as she's ever been with me. I have anti nausea medicine for her second round of treatment and now that I know she doesn't have a food intolerance, I can give her smelly things to entice her to eat.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

duck monster posted:

This is how little I know about cats: When I went to sell them on the local craigslist type site, gumtree, after taking my money (meh, $12 whatever) the ad was revoked because I did not state if the cats where vaccinated , wormed and microchipped. I've had to google "microchipping" cats, because I never heard of it. Never had a cat in 10+ years (A flatmate had one once) , all this poo poo is new to me.
Are you sure the website requires that they actually be wormed, vaccinated, and chipped, or do they just want you to state whether or not they have been?

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but ideally those kitten would stay with their littermates until 10-12 weeks of age. They go through a lot of important socialization phases before then, and by growing up more with their siblings, they get the hang of stuff like grooming and proper bite inhibition. If they're completely weaned and the mom is sick of them, by all means separate them from mom so her milk has a chance to dry up, but the kittens should really stick together a little while longer if you can manage it. But that doesn't mean you can't keep looking for homes in the meantime, and if you happen to find someone who wants a pair of kittens, they'll probably be okay to get adopted a little earlier since they'll have age-appropriate company.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
The UK has Craigslist as well - why not just use that? Though people do tend to get upset if you ask for a rehoming fee when the cats aren't vetted.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Abbeh posted:

The UK has Craigslist as well - why not just use that? Though people do tend to get upset if you ask for a rehoming fee when the cats aren't vetted.

I agree with you but offering cats for free can be dangerous for the kitties. I've seen ads where instead of a rehoming fee the owner will ask for a check made out to an animal rescue. I always thought that was a cool thing to do.

Also seconding that the kitties should stay together a little longer. At least that will give duck monster some more time to find them homes.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Okay, so a former coworker of mine who volunteers at a local charity that takes in and spays/neuters stray cats and then adopts them out brought me two irresistibly cute kittens a couple of weeks ago. I had told her a while back that I was interested in getting a cat, but she talked me into getting the pair because they were littermates etc etc and it wouldn't be a strain on my finances so I agreed. Anyway, these two are absolute adorable and I'll probably post pictures later, but I have a question.

These cats were found by my coworker in a lower-income neighborhood. She saw three of them running around, then when she came back later that day one of them had been run over and the others were eating it :(. So she sets up some traps and catches them the next day. They were around 3 months old, skinny and skittish. A few weeks later they end up in my care.

The thing is, one warmed up to me really fast. He comes out to play whenever I pull out the string and now is purring and coming up to me whenever I get close. The other though, seems to have serious issues. He hides all the time, and whenever I come close, he freezes up. I can pick him up any time I need to, and he doesn't shy away when pet. He doesn't run, just stays frozen in place. But, his ears fold back, and his pupils are always dilated whenever I look at him. Even in bright light, his pupils are always significantly larger then his brother's. I know it can be a sign of distress, and when he was in for his latest shots I asked the vet. She did a little exam and said that there didn't appear to be any vision deficit. When I mentioned his apparent fear of everything the vet didn't seem too concerned, because the cat behaved well and stayed still though the entire visit. That's the thing though, he just seems to be paralyzed by fear.

I'm going to press the vet a little more about it when the bros go in on the 11th to get fixed, but I'm wondering if any of you cat experts have run across anything like this before. It's like he's always paralyzed by fear, even to the point of not reacting to what frightens him. I'm concerned that he'll always be an inside cat, because even though we have a big backyard, cat-friendly neighbors, and live in a cul-de-sac, he won't be able to properly react to otherwise trivial threats.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 31, 2010

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Will he take food from you when he's like that? It's a good meter to test if he's fearful or just weird. Try some smelly wet food.

Since he's got a little buddy he's sure to socialize well in terms of cat manners though. :)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Well, Poky (the frozen with terror cat) did eat some tuna from my hand. I guess that's a good sign. I was playing with them last night and Poky came out and chased the string a little bit, but he was much slower and less enthusiastic than Scooter (the Type A personality cat.) I just know he's frightened all the time. Should I try to keep him on the couch with Scooter and I? I mean, he'll stay there if I put him there, but he looks frightened with the large pupils, flat ears etc. Will frequent petting, even if he doesn't seem enthusiastic (but never aggressive or scratchy), help or hurt?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Welp, Chairman Meow scared the poo poo out of me earlier today.

The wife yelled to me that she (the kitty, not my wife) was taking a poo poo in her old cat bed....distressing (and horrifically rank), but since strange new people were installing new windows on the house and making a terrible racket, I just attributed it to nervousness and it didn't disturb me all that much.

But when I took the old pet cat out to the trash can and dropped it in, I noticed the poo was very soft and had two globs of bright red blood in it. I came back in and frantically called my vet's office, who said to just keep an eye on her...if she acted normally and it didn't happen again anytime soon, it just meant her butthole was irritated. I re-inspected the poo afterwards and sure enough, turd #1 was dark brown and very hard, turd #2 was the ooey gooey bloody one. She's been her normal self all day, so I'm chalking it up to constipation for now.

Anyway, that's the story of how a cat turd sent me into a hysterical panic, before sending me out to get some catgrass.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So, after much arguing we made an appointment to see an Internist for our kitty on Wednesday.

His personality is back, and he wants to eat, but when he does he vomits. It's terrible. So far when he does its just this giant hairball, and then what looks like food a few times afterwords.

We spoke to the old vet, which I have a few opinions of but besides that, and she understands we want a second opinion. In her opinion it's either cardiomyopathy or IBS. I have no clue. I looked up feline cardiomyopathy and one site basically said, "well you wont know they have it till they're dying". He's been like this for a month now, I'd imagine he'd have to be nearly dead if it was that bad. Anyone know much about Feline cardiomyopathy?

The other thing I was thinking of was either some disease transferred from fleas, or he ate something that doesn't show up on an x-ray or barium swallow, such as plastic. He's been pooping so it can't be blocking it so bad. I don't know much about flea-borne disease in animals, either. Any ideas? Obviously my cat doesn't have bubonic plague.

The old vet said his bloodwork was pristine, which makes it really strange :( As she put it, "if you looked at his bloodwork, you'd think it was another cats"

This loving cat is tearing my family apart somehow. Nobody can agree on how he should be treated and what's best for him, but we don't even know what's wrong.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 2, 2011

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Shnooks posted:

So, after much arguing we made an appointment to see an Internist for our kitty on Wednesday.

His personality is back, and he wants to eat, but when he does he vomits. It's terrible. So far when he does its just this giant hairball, and then what looks like food a few times afterwords.

We spoke to the old vet, which I have a few opinions of but besides that, and she understands we want a second opinion. In her opinion it's either cardiomyopathy or IBS. I have no clue. I looked up feline cardiomyopathy and one site basically said, "well you wont know they have it till they're dying". He's been like this for a month now, I'd imagine he'd have to be nearly dead if it was that bad. Anyone know much about Feline cardiomyopathy?

The other thing I was thinking of was either some disease transferred from fleas, or he ate something that doesn't show up on an x-ray or barium swallow, such as plastic. He's been pooping so it can't be blocking it so bad. I don't know much about flea-borne disease in animals, either. Any ideas? Obviously my cat doesn't have bubonic plague.

The old vet said his bloodwork was pristine, which makes it really strange :( As she put it, "if you looked at his bloodwork, you'd think it was another cats"

This loving cat is tearing my family apart somehow. Nobody can agree on how he should be treated and what's best for him, but we don't even know what's wrong.
I don't know of any disease carried by fleas that causes the symptoms he's having. As for cardiomyopathy, there's actually a fancy new bloodtest that can help indicate various types of heart disease in cats -- it's called the Cardiopet proBNP. Unfortunately it's so new that vets are still trying to make sense of the results, and it's not a perfect test, but it's not super expensive either. The better way to diagnose cardiomyopathy is via ECG or an ultrasound of the heart. If there's a veterinary cardiologist at the specialty practice you're going to, they'll be well-equipped to make that diagnosis, but I think starting with the internist is a better bet.

From what you're describing, it really sounds like a GI issue and not a heart issue. Is the huffing after eating a pre-hairball type cough? Is he a long-haired cat? In any case, that seems like a lot of hairballs. It may take more diagnostics, like an abdominal ultrasound, but I really bet an internal med vet will be able to get to the bottom of this for you.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Crooked Booty posted:

I don't know of any disease carried by fleas that causes the symptoms he's having. As for cardiomyopathy, there's actually a fancy new bloodtest that can help indicate various types of heart disease in cats -- it's called the Cardiopet proBNP. Unfortunately it's so new that vets are still trying to make sense of the results, and it's not a perfect test, but it's not super expensive either. The better way to diagnose cardiomyopathy is via ECG or an ultrasound of the heart. If there's a veterinary cardiologist at the specialty practice you're going to, they'll be well-equipped to make that diagnosis, but I think starting with the internist is a better bet.

From what you're describing, it really sounds like a GI issue and not a heart issue. Is the huffing after eating a pre-hairball type cough? Is he a long-haired cat? In any case, that seems like a lot of hairballs. It may take more diagnostics, like an abdominal ultrasound, but I really bet an internal med vet will be able to get to the bottom of this for you.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. That's really interesting about the bloodwork, the clinic we're going to might have it. We're expecting a very expensive ultrasound, to be honest.

This is the clinic we're going to, fwiw. http://www.rbvh.net/ We've been there before for emergencies and they were very well staffed and helpful.

He stopped the huffing, interestingly enough. He's not a long-haired cat and never had issues with hairballs before, and he's not cleaning any more than he usually does. It's so far two hairballs this week and they are MASSIVE. My mom's nervous that they'll have to do a biopsy of his stomach, but if they can do an ultrasound that'll be less invasive at least.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Shnooks posted:

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. That's really interesting about the bloodwork, the clinic we're going to might have it. We're expecting a very expensive ultrasound, to be honest.

This is the clinic we're going to, fwiw. http://www.rbvh.net/ We've been there before for emergencies and they were very well staffed and helpful.

He stopped the huffing, interestingly enough. He's not a long-haired cat and never had issues with hairballs before, and he's not cleaning any more than he usually does. It's so far two hairballs this week and they are MASSIVE. My mom's nervous that they'll have to do a biopsy of his stomach, but if they can do an ultrasound that'll be less invasive at least.
The hairball thing is really weird. I've seen cats with multiple blockages due to hairballs, but they've always been longhaired cats, and shaving the cat can help a lot in that case. While exploratory surgery definitely sucks more for the cat, multiple biopsies almost always get you a diagnosis. My cat had an unremarkable ultrasound, and we didn't get a diagnosis of IBD until after another year of ongoing issues and finally surgery. Actually both of my cats have had exploratory surgery, which is kinda weird, but they bounce back surprisingly quickly.

That clinic looks totally awesome. They have more specialists than the multiple specialty clinics in my city combined. If anyone can get to the bottom of your kitty's problems, I'm sure they can.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

But when I took the old pet cat out to the trash

Is this some kind of really bad typo or am I reading the sentence wrong?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Crooked Booty posted:

The hairball thing is really weird. I've seen cats with multiple blockages due to hairballs, but they've always been longhaired cats, and shaving the cat can help a lot in that case. While exploratory surgery definitely sucks more for the cat, multiple biopsies almost always get you a diagnosis. My cat had an unremarkable ultrasound, and we didn't get a diagnosis of IBD until after another year of ongoing issues and finally surgery. Actually both of my cats have had exploratory surgery, which is kinda weird, but they bounce back surprisingly quickly.

That clinic looks totally awesome. They have more specialists than the multiple specialty clinics in my city combined. If anyone can get to the bottom of your kitty's problems, I'm sure they can.

You know, I just remembered - many years ago he had some major surgery to remove 3ft of upholstery thread from his intestines. The doctor who did it turned out to be terrible. I wonder if that has something...

Anyways, what do they even do to treat kitty IBS? Our old vet said cortisone, but she's afraid of big pharma and all that crap.

Edit: You'd think it would be a blockage, but he's pooping just fine. He had REALLY stinky soft stools but now they're just kind of soft. So, somethings going through him

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

2508084 posted:

Is this some kind of really bad typo or am I reading the sentence wrong?

bah, typo, old cat bed. Though sometimes I would like to toss her in there.

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005
Quick question about those of you who have used SoftPaws on your cats...we got those for our new kitty, Franklin, and five minutes after we got them on he didn't even notice them. We thought, great, this is awesome. Well, somehow, even with the SoftPaws on, he still manages to scratch stuff up. We found a bit of carpet today he had tore up, and I witnessed him tearing up a rug in our kitchen. I checked his paws, and they're definitely all still on there, so it's not a matter of them coming off. Did we do something wrong? Or are they just not 100% effective at curbing the scratching problem? I knew he wouldn't stop trying to scratch--that's not what I'm talking about. The problem is that even with these on he's still ripping stuff up with his claws. The carpet and rug aren't exactly long shag carpeting either; it's pretty close cropped berber.

In case it's relevant, he's BIG. He weighs around 14-15 pounds. Any advice would be helpful.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

ucmallory posted:

In case it's relevant, he's BIG. He weighs around 14-15 pounds. Any advice would be helpful.

Do you have alternatives for him to scratch? Do you redirect him to an appropriate scratching area when you catch him digging up the carpet? Is it carpet leading to The Outside? Sully used to dig up the carpet next to my sliding glass door because he wanted outside. It took a while, but after redirecting, using my Stern Voice, and lovin' when he does use his scratching post, he doesn't do it anymore.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Well, with my husband grudgingly on board, it looks like we're going to go forward with the two little black cats. Even though when we lost Fry I declared NO MORE BOY CATS! and NO MORE TAILLESS CATS! they're two brothers, one with a nub of a tail and one with a short bent tail.

Apparently they were born in a basement window in NJ during the summer heat and a kind lady at Cause 4 Paws took them and their mother in to foster. Their mother has since found a home, but these two boys have been waiting. They're neutered and will be getting their final round of kitten vaccinations this week, and we'll be driving down half way to NJ to pick them up this weekend or next weekend.

Currently their names are Yogi and Berra, but we'll definitely be changing names. My husband is leaning towards Zoidberg and The Professor, while I'm leaning towards Arthur and Zaphod. I guess we'll have to meet them to decide for sure.

Here are the pictures their foster mom has sent me (Yogi is tailless and all black and Berra has white bits... and a tail):

Click here for the full 1408x1056 image.

Click here for the full 1056x1408 image.

Tail nub! :holy:

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds
Should I or shouldn't I question: My vet has been telling me that I need to get my 4 year old cat's teeth cleaned since last year's check up and although I didn't really take it seriously at first she convinced me to make an appointment to have it done. My cat, Dougal, is supposed to go in next Friday for the procedure and I'm just... still not entirely convinced about it.

For one thing he has to go under General Anesthesia for the cleaning, which just worries me. Secondly I am still not sure if this is really necessary or if I'm being pressured into it by my vet (who I really like otherwise, although part of her sell for this was to show me a vial of diseased cat teeth she'd pulled in the past which sort of freaked me out). He's still a young cat and I've had him since he was a kitten, he's always been fed quality food (mostly dry, he's getting California Natural right now) and he doesn't seem to have any problems eating. No one I know ever seems to have had their cats teeth cleaned either. And it's going to be $300+.

On the other hand he does have stink breath. Additionally his co-cat has been with me exactly as long as he has and has had the same diet and the vet says her teeth are good (although there was some murmuring about her getting her teeth cleaned next year), so maybe he does just have bad teeth.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their cat? Would you get Dougal's teeth cleaned if you were in my position? I do have the money for it, although it'll be a tight month, so while that does contribute to my hesitation it's not driving my actions. Right now if I had to choose tomorrow I'd have it done. Still there's that niggling doubt. Sorry to ramble, I just wanted to check with an impartial audience.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Rain Brain posted:

Should I or shouldn't I question: My vet has been telling me that I need to get my 4 year old cat's teeth cleaned since last year's check up and although I didn't really take it seriously at first she convinced me to make an appointment to have it done. My cat, Dougal, is supposed to go in next Friday for the procedure and I'm just... still not entirely convinced about it.

For one thing he has to go under General Anesthesia for the cleaning, which just worries me. Secondly I am still not sure if this is really necessary or if I'm being pressured into it by my vet (who I really like otherwise, although part of her sell for this was to show me a vial of diseased cat teeth she'd pulled in the past which sort of freaked me out). He's still a young cat and I've had him since he was a kitten, he's always been fed quality food (mostly dry, he's getting California Natural right now) and he doesn't seem to have any problems eating. No one I know ever seems to have had their cats teeth cleaned either. And it's going to be $300+.

On the other hand he does have stink breath. Additionally his co-cat has been with me exactly as long as he has and has had the same diet and the vet says her teeth are good (although there was some murmuring about her getting her teeth cleaned next year), so maybe he does just have bad teeth.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their cat? Would you get Dougal's teeth cleaned if you were in my position? I do have the money for it, although it'll be a tight month, so while that does contribute to my hesitation it's not driving my actions. Right now if I had to choose tomorrow I'd have it done. Still there's that niggling doubt. Sorry to ramble, I just wanted to check with an impartial audience.

Yes, I would definitely get his teeth cleaned. Usually cats need a teeth cleaning every 2 to 3 years. As for the difference between your cats, they are like people, some have good teeth and some have bad teeth. I have 1 cat who can go three years and even then could probably wait longer, one who needs it every 2 on the dot, and one (the youngest) gets hers done every year. She has terrible teeth and even though she is only three every year she has the plaque and crap build up of a cat who has never gotten their teeth cleaned. You may not have ever heard of this before because feline dental health is only now becoming prevalent, but it really matters. Cats can go downhill quickly from tooth infections, or can stop eating because of pain. It is important. Around $300 is a very normal price, and the anesthesia is normal, there is no possible way to do a decent cleaning without it. I completely trust my vets when it comes to this, because they aren't making any money off me as I was working there at the time and they took care of all my cats teeth for free. So I know that the little one really does just have crap teeth. I've also seen how debilitating it can be when a cat's teeth are just let go forever.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Abbeh posted:

Currently their names are Yogi and Berra, but we'll definitely be changing names. My husband is leaning towards Zoidberg and The Professor, while I'm leaning towards Arthur and Zaphod. I guess we'll have to meet them to decide for sure.

It really would have to be Arthur and Ford.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

RheaConfused posted:

Yes, I would definitely get his teeth cleaned. Usually cats need a teeth cleaning every 2 to 3 years. As for the difference between your cats, they are like people, some have good teeth and some have bad teeth. I have 1 cat who can go three years and even then could probably wait longer, one who needs it every 2 on the dot, and one (the youngest) gets hers done every year. She has terrible teeth and even though she is only three every year she has the plaque and crap build up of a cat who has never gotten their teeth cleaned. You may not have ever heard of this before because feline dental health is only now becoming prevalent, but it really matters. Cats can go downhill quickly from tooth infections, or can stop eating because of pain. It is important. Around $300 is a very normal price, and the anesthesia is normal, there is no possible way to do a decent cleaning without it. I completely trust my vets when it comes to this, because they aren't making any money off me as I was working there at the time and they took care of all my cats teeth for free. So I know that the little one really does just have crap teeth. I've also seen how debilitating it can be when a cat's teeth are just let go forever.
Is the cat bitey? How is the teeth cleaning different from say, brushing? Are they polishing the cats teeth or scraping and such(this is where I can see anesthesia being necessary)?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

duckfarts posted:

Is the cat bitey? How is the teeth cleaning different from say, brushing? Are they polishing the cats teeth or scraping and such(this is where I can see anesthesia being necessary)?

Yes. They put the cat under and intubate, then scrape and polish each tooth, and do extractions or whatever if necessary. They also usually do dental xrays looking for FORLs. And yeah, the cat is definitely bitey when you are handling them this much, a lot of cats don't even tolerate brushing. They can also apply a dental sealant like oravet, for extra protection.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

WHITE TOES, YAY! :neckbeard:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Shnooks posted:

I haven't ever seen that before, that's ridiculous :3: Someone painted kitty's toes.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shnooks posted:

Food, water, heroin :drat: that cat's got it made

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

duckfarts posted:

They will basically do what your dentist does. Scale off tartar, examine and pick at each tooth, possibly clean below the gumline, possibly do x-rays, extract teeth as needed, polish the teeth, possibly seal the teeth, apply fluoride, etc. Imagine everything you sit through at the dentist, and then imagine convincing a cat to sit still for the same process. Even if your cat were the most relaxed animal in the world, the whole process would be scary and traumatic as gently caress. And if they have to do extractions, obviously the cat needs to be asleep because it hurts. Most vets will also place an IV catheter for all this because it's safer to have access to a vein when using general anesthesia.

If you're not convinced your cat needs a dental, it wouldn't be rude at all to ask your vet to show you why. Sometimes where I work, we take before and after pictures for clients while the pet is asleep, and they're pretty convincing. :)

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Serella posted:

It really would have to be Arthur and Ford.

You have a point, but Arthur and Zaphod seemed to go with Ed and Zoso so well.
I've been forcing cute kitten videos on my husband every night before bed. Soon he will break and be happy instead of just calling me a crazy cat lady. Either that or he'll regret setting up the wireless...

I was able to get a hold of some of their kitten pictures.
Yogi as a wee one:

Berra as a wee one:

And cuddling:

I tried to track down a picture of their mom on the "happy tails" section of the site, but half the links didn't work. Oh well. As the story goes, she's a normal looking black cat, so they think their father may have been an oriental breed of some sort.

Abbeh fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 4, 2011

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005

2508084 posted:

Do you have alternatives for him to scratch? Do you redirect him to an appropriate scratching area when you catch him digging up the carpet? Is it carpet leading to The Outside? Sully used to dig up the carpet next to my sliding glass door because he wanted outside. It took a while, but after redirecting, using my Stern Voice, and lovin' when he does use his scratching post, he doesn't do it anymore.

We don't have any alternatives right now, because I was under the impression it wouldn't matter with the SoftPaws on. The carpet doesn't lead to any outside areas--it seems like he does it when he wants our attention? We're open to getting him a scratching post, I just thought it didn't really matter with the SoftPaws on him and that they would keep him from tearing anything up (again, I knew he would keep TRYING to scratch, I just thought they'd keep him from actually tearing anything up).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Max has a pink eye. :( I can't get her into the vet for a few days. She's squinting and its pink and has a tiny bit of mucus. (She has tear-stains normally but I just wipe them off.) Online people are saying you can use a very gentle saline solution for some relief (1/4 teaspoon to cup of water.)

This happened last spring and we got drops that cleared it up for her, I don't know what was in them though. Is saline ok as a stopgap until I can get her in? She just looks miserable with a puffy eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I imagine saline should be fine - it'll just wash things out a bit to give her some comfort. Just make sure not to make it too strong because that could sting. Just make sure to wash your hands before and after doing it to keep both of you healthier.