Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Does Lucas hate the original movies that much and like the Prequels so much more?

The answer to this is honestly "yes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The problem is that the prequels didn't have any characters...

Yeah. For the most part.

What's amusing is the only actual characters with personality were Palpatine and... Jar Jar. Jar Jar was obnoxious and annoying and horribly unfunny but at least he had a personality... of sorts.

Bene Elim posted:

I've been watching the Plinkett reviews and I've gotten to wondering how the prequels could have been written. Has anyone ever tried a fundamental re-writing? Not just making the lines or stage direction suck less, but completely changing the plot and basis of the characters?

I have a vague idea in my head.

Episode I - Starts with Obi-wan completing a mission with his non-Anakin padawan. Padawan gets knighted, Obi happy. Talks to Yoda (getting in the air of them being old friends/ former master-apprentice), Yoda suggests that Obi take an older Padawan who's master died - Skywalker. Two initially don't get along, Anakin doesn't agree with Obi's methods, Obi quelling headstrong Anakin. They deal with minor secessionist crisis together, grow closer, form friendship. Anakin's age: ~18 Obi's age: mid-40's

Episode II - More Master-Apprentice stuff, bigger secessionist stuff with the reveal of the separatist's clone army. Jedi reluctantly go to war, get asses handed to them across a variety of worlds, Republic begins to crumble, climax of film is formation of regular army of republic (formed from citizens of all species and planets) and a narrow victory to end in minor celebration, with the added hook of 'this isn't over'. Through film Obi and Anakin work with a hot-headed Correlian general and his more peaceful Aalderanian lieutenant Amidala (for want of a name). Two begin to respect each other, despite differing opinions on war, hints of romance by the end of the film. Anakin: mid-to-late 20's, Obi early 50's

Episode III - A few years later. War going well, but is costly. Galaxy visibly suffering. Palpetine is a pro-peace senator, with a finger in separatists (indications are he's a war profiteer rather than Sith at this stage). Amidala out of military looking after children by secret-hubby Anakin. Established that Anakin hasn't got home in over a year, hasn't seen child yet (doesn't know about twins). Palpetine leans on Anakin to end war quickly, encouraging vicious tatics from Anakin, draws some criticism, but he still acts as an admittedly pragmatic Jedi, so not much ire from council. OtherJedi follow his lead, start of mistrust of Jedi in Galactic populace. Anakin gets close to Palpetine. SHOCK HORROR! Amidala's home city/planet attacked! Amidala assumed dead! Anakin tries to deal with grief, covers reasonably well to Jedi. Tells all to Plapetine, who convinces him to take righteous revenge. He does, but becomes more dark in doing so, committing borderline war crimes for victory. Other Jedi still follow. Council become wary. Eventually Palpetine pushes Anakin into committing a true atrocity. Republic senate and galactic population blame Jedi as a whole and cast them out, blaming them (with Palpetine's help) for continuing war and suffering. Jedi ostracized and hunted down. Obi + Yoda try to help Amidala get away back to Anakin and into hiding. He mistakes it as an abduction and attacks (still doesn't see second child). Obi and Yoda leave him stranded and take children to hide with help of Amidala's Aalderanian friends. Few surviving Jedi track down Anakin and punish him as a Sith. Anakin kills them all, but is left mortally wounded. Palpetine comes along, reveals himself as sith and pulls Anakin properly over to the dark side. Anakin becomes Darth Vader after his nickname among separatist leaders. Palpetine also gets elected at head of Senate on Peace platform. End of film with Yoda on Dagoba, Leia on Aalderan, Luke and Obi on tatooine. Anakin: early 30's Obi: late 50's.

This leads into OT with Yoda actually having been Obi's master, Leia remembering her real mother and Obi actually being 'too old for this' at 70ish.

This is a very rough outline, and I get that some of it makes no sense, but the principle is (I think) sound. What if the prequels were completely different? Could they be made good?

Any thoughts?

The idea gets tossed around here every once and a while, but nobody has actually done it because it's practically fanfiction.

Basically, the general consensus is to more or less skip Episode I entirely and make episodes II and III into a trilogy. Start in media res during the Clone Wars, Anakin is teenager \ young adult already, Anakin is more of a Han Solo type character, smug, cocky, wisecracking. Less political poo poo. Anakin is legitimately seduced by the Dark Side and tempted by its power. He isn't "tricked" into turning to the Dark Side by Palpatine, he chooses to to fuel his own hunger for power. I've heard these things mentioned a lot, and pretty much everybody agrees with them, myself included.

Other ideas that have been tossed about include:
*The clones aren't the good guys. They are the Mandalorians, who are the baddies in the Clone Wars and attacking the republic.
*Just like in the originals, the Stormtroopers are just regular guys in the army.
*The movies start in media res and the Republic seems to be losing the Clone Wars.
*Jedis don't have crazy over the top DBZ powers. They're more subtle. Essentially Samurai. Lightsaber fights aren't about doing flips and twirling them around, they're more like kendo or fighting with heavy claymores as in the OT.
*Palpatine didn't engineer the war, he's more of a Julius Caesar.
*R2-D2 and C-3PO are left out to keep continuity. OR they are in it from the start, with no explanation as to where they come from or how they came to be.
*Yoda never fights with a Lightsaber. Nor does Palpatine.
*Jedi aren't taken as children. They choose to become Jedi voluntarily.
*The Jedi don't have any laws forbidding romance or attachment.
*The Jedi are spiritual warrior monks. There isn't a Jedi bureaucracy or government like the papacy. There are random temples across the land, and Jedi as less like police officers and more like wandering samurai who go around doing good deeds for people in trouble. The series might start with Anakin and Obi-Wan wandering around space, and they just so happen to find Queen Amidala who asks them to help the people of Naboo because they're in trouble. They're not sent on a mission, they just decide to help her out. Like, bandits are attacking Naboo and they can't defend themselves (Seven Samurai, anyone? Tons of movies, including Star Wars, are based off Kurosawa films. Hey, it seems to work, Fistful of Dollars, the Magnificent Seven and Star Wars ANH all turned out great)

THE CAST (now with personalities!)

*Anakin: Smug, cocky, sarcastic. Brash Jedi who like anybody in their late teens thinks he's invincible. Sometimes butts heads with Obi-Wan but in general they have a familial bond and care for each other a lot, despite their occasional disagreements. No virginal birth, no chosen one BS, just an exceptionally talented and confident Jedi.

*Obi-Wan: Similar to the classic Obi-Wan, but younger and less wise, about in his 40's. Definitely Anakin's father figure.

*Amidala: Pretty much Princess Leia. Well, she is her mom.

*Unnamed (Kikuchiyo): ANH was based off the Hidden Fortress, so why not bring in another great Kurosawa character? Basically Toshiro Mifune's character from the Seven Samurai. He's the comic relief.

*Count Dooku: The main antagonist, Darth Vader stand in. Aristocratic and sophisticated, but also very large and imposing and somewhat creepy, much like Darth Vader and more directly, Count Dracula. Utterly ruthless and appears to be an unstoppable evil like Vader. Dracula is one of the all time greatest bad guys, and he and Darth Vader have a lot in common.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gammatron 64 posted:

in media res

:eng101: In medias res.

(Sorry. Being a Latin geek gives one some strange pet peeves.)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Donkey Kunt posted:

In Star Wars, do they have the equivalent of a fighter jet for in atmosphere battle? Or do the space fighters have the ability to fight within the atmosphere? If they do exist, were they ever mentioned as canon or is it part of the EU?

I think most fighters can go spcae or atmospheric but like TIE fighters are bad at it because of the wings and no shields or something.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

Powered Descent posted:

How quickly they forget...

I would consider that more of a hover tank and not a jet fighter. However, you're right about how that would be the closest.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

Biplane posted:

I think most fighters can go spcae or atmospheric but like TIE fighters are bad at it because of the wings and no shields or something.

The first Star Wars Battlefront game allowed you to pilot TIE Fighters in orbit. That was brutal. Mostly because there was an invisible ceiling which made maneuvering very tight and constricted.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Donkey Kunt posted:

I would consider that more of a hover tank and not a jet fighter. However, you're right about how that would be the closest.

I have fond memories of sperging at the age of twelve playing Rogue Squadron on the N64 and seeing this thing launch from the hanger and fly directly into space if you picked it for a mission.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So in trying to think through that "fix the prequels" thing, I realized... is Palpatine's whole plan entirely to destroy himself? It seems it. This isn't just the Prequels; it extends into the OT.

In TPM, he sends Maul to kill two random Jedi. Why? What would he gain from having a Sith show up to kill two Jedi out of thousands with a lightsaber and so prove that the Sith are still around? Up until then, no one knew that the Sith endured, unless I'm forgetting something. So the plan was... send Maul to reveal that the Sith exist and lose out on their secrecy that had kept them safe for a long time?

Then in the Clone Wars (all through 'em, not just bits in the movies), he has two sides that are both entirely under his control: the Separatists and the Republic. There doesn't seem to be a major third power here; he's behind everyone. So... he has some of his servants kill other of his servants, with the ultimate goal of... getting to call himself Emperor and killing the Jedi? Was Maul's purpose to get the Jedi involved so he could get clones close to most of them for Order 66? Still seems like it could have been done without revealing the Sith; the Jedi are still defenders of the Republic, and if Palpatine hadn't revealed that the Sith existed from previous sources, he could have ruled the galaxy for his full lifespan without anyone being the wiser that he was a Force user, Clone Wars or no.

So he names himself Emperor, and then turns himself from a fairly benevolent chancellor to a cacklingly evil and oppressive ruler... why? Is he just not really a people person? Since it seems to me that having people happy with your rule is a good way to remain in power. Instead, he starts constructing giant anti-planet weapons and gets a Rebellion against him. So he kidnaps someone who could destroy him and tries to get the kid to kill him. When Luke stops trying, Palpatine decides to torture him to death in front of the kid's father, with fairly predictable results, once we know that Anakin had previously switched sides to try to save his family; it shouldn't be a surprise that he'd do it again.

So, uh... what was Palpatine actually trying to do? Don't say "fight the Vong".

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think as he got older, Palpatine slipped into senility. It happens.

I'm curious as to when the Emperor found out Vader's kids were alive. Did it really matter to him? At least before he decided to get rid of the pussy in the black suit for the newer model?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I still like the first concept of the Palpatine from the ANH novel

quote:

Another galaxy, another time.

The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that... it was the Republic.

Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew. But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.

So it was with the Republic at its height. Like the greatest of trees, able to withstand any external attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from outside.

Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.

But a small number of systems rebelled at these new outrages. Declaring themselves opposed to the New Order they began the great battle to restore the Old Republic.

From the beginning they were vastly outnumbered by the systems held in thrall by the Emperor. In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame of resistance would be extinguished before it could cast the light of new truth across a galaxy of oppressed and beaten peoples...

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 4, 2011

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Bene Elim posted:

Right, (semi not at all) serious thing:

I've been watching the Plinkett reviews and I've gotten to wondering how the prequels could have been written. Has anyone ever tried a fundamental re-writing? Not just making the lines or stage direction suck less, but completely changing the plot and basis of the characters?

I have a vague idea in my head.

<snip>

I think the major problem with the prequels, which can't be fixed by a rewrite, is that they are thoroughly unnecessary. Plinkett mentioned this, but I've thought it for a long time now. The original trilogy tells a complete story, beginning to end, and all nessisary backstory has already been provided. Furthermore, what a filmaker makes will never be able to live up to what a viewer's imagination has provided for them after two decades of wondering.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that prequels in general are flawed from the get-go. We already know how things end, reducing the dramatic tension. But more than that, I think that if a story was supposed to begin farther back, any good film-maker would have started it there. Can someone provide me with examples of any good prequels? I'm going to go ahead and exclude Godfather part II because much of the movie takes place after the original, and Temple of Doom doesn't really count either because it being a prequel is completely inconsequential to anything. You could very easily say it was a sequel and nothing would change. With that said, are there any prequels that rise above middling?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Paranormal Activity 2 did pretty well as a prequel.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

I think the major problem with the prequels, which can't be fixed by a rewrite, is that they are thoroughly unnecessary. Plinkett mentioned this, but I've thought it for a long time now. The original trilogy tells a complete story, beginning to end, and all nessisary backstory has already been provided. Furthermore, what a filmaker makes will never be able to live up to what a viewer's imagination has provided for them after two decades of wondering.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that prequels in general are flawed from the get-go. We already know how things end, reducing the dramatic tension. But more than that, I think that if a story was supposed to begin farther back, any good film-maker would have started it there. Can someone provide me with examples of any good prequels? I'm going to go ahead and exclude Godfather part II because much of the movie takes place after the original, and Temple of Doom doesn't really count either because it being a prequel is completely inconsequential to anything. You could very easily say it was a sequel and nothing would change. With that said, are there any prequels that rise above middling?

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is (arguably) a prequel to A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. Like Temple of Doom it is almost totally inconsequential to the other Dollars movies. Godfather Part II, Temple of Doom and A Fistful of Dollars are almost literally it...

Only other movie prequel I can think of is Tremors 4 and uhhh...

Kill Whitey
Dec 27, 2010

Be provocative, be organized.
Did Salacious Crumb die when Jabba's party skiff exploded?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SkunkDuster posted:

Obi Wan says that Tusken Raiders walk in single file to hide their numbers. Hide their numbers from who? Seems like Krayt dragons are the only thing that scares them. The fact that even Obi Wan didn't want to be around when they came back implies that they aren't to be taken lightly, and they live in lovely huts with nothing worth stealing, so who are they hiding from?

The Hutts jumpstarted a war between the Tuskens and the Republic settlers. And there was intermittent fighting and raiding before that.

Lets face it, "Angry Militant Raiders" aren't exactly a group most places would ever really like to keep around if they can help it.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 4, 2011

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.
Do the sand people have access to space travel? They just don't seem like they should be an advance enough race to cause problems if the Republic or Empire actually wanted to fight them.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Donkey Kunt posted:

Do the sand people have access to space travel? They just don't seem like they should be an advance enough race to cause problems if the Republic or Empire actually wanted to fight them.

No, they're basically just desert nomads. They're only really a threat to settlers on Tatooine, and then only because no Galactic power gives a poo poo about Tatooine in the first place.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Kill Whitey posted:

He will live on in erotic fanfiction and our nightmares. Pardon the redundancy.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

DorianGravy posted:

I think the major problem with the prequels, which can't be fixed by a rewrite, is that they are thoroughly unnecessary.
TBH, I agree with you. Whenever I see something to do with the prequels I can't properly link it to the OT in my mind, and they still stand alone as a trilogy.

Part of me is resigned to the fact that prequels exist, so the best we can do is make them as good as possible. The saying goes 'It's not the destination, but the journey that matters' so I do think there can be a good prequel, but it hasn't been done yet as far as I know.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The idea gets tossed around here every once and a while, but nobody has actually done it because it's practically fanfiction.
Of course it's fanfiction. The goal would be to make it one of the only pieces of truly worthwhile fanfiction. No author-insert characters, no creepy, over-sexualised romance, no Bobba Fett. As fanfiction, it's doomed to failure but if good enough it could be accepted by fans like the 'what Yoda was up to' or 'why Stormtroopers can't shoot' theories.

As to your ideas, they're drat good. My only objection is the firm identification of a comic relief character. I don't think Star Wars should have one. There should be characters who can get away with goofing off for a bit (han and chewie, R2 and 3PO), but not purely comic (like Jar-Jar or PT R2 and 3PO).

VV This kind of thing is very interesting, and would really have made a big difference. The problem after this is that the plot is batshit insane, and not really VV saveable by this method. I think the best that could be done would be the removal of all that 'chosen one, balance to the force' crap.VV

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 4, 2011

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
You see, I have a habit of trying to take a movie I didn't like a whole lot and look at it and try to come up with ways of 'fixing it' that wouldn't have required them to be _completely_ different movies or made them that much more expensive to produce.

Episode One could have been improved greatly by replacing Jar-Jar with Tarpels through the movie, and making the Gungans like a second-class Naboo citizen, and making a few small plot tweaks to make this work. We keep everything else in the movie, but Tarpels adds a lot of weight to things as the trilogy develops. He makes a connection to Anakin early on because they share a history of being second-class beings in their cultures, sort of making himself a big-brother figure to him.

You can take Tarpels forward into Episode 2 as a spokesman on the Naboo seat along with Padme. They represent two different ideological viewpoints. She's the idealist former aristrocatic princess, he's a realistic former servant soldier. They respect each other, they both want the same thing, but they're also opposites in their viewpoints. He needs less coaxing to jumpstart a vote that will help create an army. Also, by having Tarpels, he's a smarter character than Jar-Jar. He can pick up on Anakin/Padme having feelings for each other, makes 'suggestions' that put the pair together, gives Anakin encouragement and hints, etc. Again, we keep pretty much the existing plot, but tweak a few small things to encourage this. Tarpels would be likely be much less universally hated than Jar-Jar by the fans at this point, so he's likely get some more screen time in the film in AOTC.

Episode 3, have Anakin kill Tarpels. This isn't Anakin killing powerful Jedi or well-protected enemies or even younglings we've not come to know. This is Anakin killing someone who has shown himself to true friend through the series without any other attachments, baggage or expectations. We'd lose this character we'd hopefully come to like and feel sad for what his death represents in Anakin's downfall.

It's not fixing all the films, but it's changing a few elements in that first film regarding a supporting character that I feel would pay off huge dividends by the end.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ZeeToo posted:

Space pot, remember?

RULE THE EMPIRE EVERY DAY.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The fact is, there are small changes that could help the prequels a little (Grevious is actually Maul) and there are large changes that could help even more. My big thing I'd change? Palpatine didn't engineer a war and get duly elected, but instead he started the war as an enemy of the Republic, lead the clones in the Clone Wars, and defeated the Republic. He takes over ruling the Galaxy, but because it's so large he keeps the Senate in place to pacify the systems, albeit a somewhat useless and corrupt Senate. (Until the Death Star makes it unnecessary, of course.)

This way you get to have a real villain (have Dooku be the Vader like character, a General for the Emperor) and the Emperor can stay about as behind the scenes as he was in the OT. Always present, but not walking around as a perfectly nice guy for the whole trilogy. In the PT you have Palpatine who is totally evil, except when you usually see him he's being polite and attentive. I know he's not actually a nice guy, but seeing him be the Chancellor for 3 movies and not as the villain takes away from his impact as THE villain, in my mind.

The only challenge here would be why Anakin joins him if he's an outside invading force, but that's easily covered by having him seduced by the Dark Side, that he sees from both Dooku and eventually Palpatine. Drawn in by the power. The Jedi would want to join in the Clone Wars because they're worried what would happen to their "Peace and Justice" if Palpatine, a Sith Lord, wins. Maybe Anakin hunts down the remaining Jedi because the Jedi (who are not a centrally organized group) all plan on continuing the fighting after the war is over, and Anakin feels order has to be restored. He might kill the Jedi for his own idea of a "greater good", in that it would hopefully end the war, bringing order (and more power to himself).

It's mainly a half idea at this point, and I generally hate fan fiction, but I'm so close to writing these up (and never showing them to anyone) just for my own benefit (picturing these events when watching the OT, and ignoring the PT). P-canon to an extreme level.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ZeeToo posted:

I always thought it was a Sith philosophy thing: the highest expression of the soul is to dominate and suborn other souls, to draw out their aggressive nature, which comes from fear and anger and hatred. He sends Maul to make the Jedi fearful, nervous of Sith in every shadow. The drawn-out war makes people hateful and afraid enough to want to have the stability of a dictator. And then once he becomes emperor, like SBS says, that's it's own reward, there's no greater purpose than the continual infliction of terror and collection of obedience from the entire galaxy.

I think he never once thinks that Vader will betray him, because no one ever has, because subverting people's desires and binding them to his will is pretty much his thing.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Kill Whitey posted:

No, Salacious actually escaped to Coruscant, where he built up a criminal empire by gathering up the remnants of Xizor's followers. Palpatine took an interest in Salacious, sensing his powerful force abilities and hunger for power. Salacious Crumb became the Emperor's Other Hand, and fought an army of Starkiller clones in an ice cave on Hoth. Salacious was victorious, but gravely wounded and disfigured. He underwent extensive reconstructive surgery, rendering him unrecognizable. As such, he was no longer Salacious Crumb, and took on a new name.

That name was Thrawn.

(where's my money, Lucasbooks?)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is there an EU story were Grievous comes back to life/gets rebuilt/is cloned?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bene Elim posted:

TBH, I agree with you. Whenever I see something to do with the prequels I can't properly link it to the OT in my mind, and they still stand alone as a trilogy.

Part of me is resigned to the fact that prequels exist, so the best we can do is make them as good as possible. The saying goes 'It's not the destination, but the journey that matters' so I do think there can be a good prequel, but it hasn't been done yet as far as I know.
Of course it's fanfiction. The goal would be to make it one of the only pieces of truly worthwhile fanfiction. No author-insert characters, no creepy, over-sexualised romance, no Bobba Fett. As fanfiction, it's doomed to failure but if good enough it could be accepted by fans like the 'what Yoda was up to' or 'why Stormtroopers can't shoot' theories.

As to your ideas, they're drat good. My only objection is the firm identification of a comic relief character. I don't think Star Wars should have one. There should be characters who can get away with goofing off for a bit (han and chewie, R2 and 3PO), but not purely comic (like Jar-Jar or PT R2 and 3PO).

VV This kind of thing is very interesting, and would really have made a big difference. The problem after this is that the plot is batshit insane, and not really VV saveable by this method. I think the best that could be done would be the removal of all that 'chosen one, balance to the force' crap.VV

Star Wars always had comic relief: Artoo and Threepio. What separates them from Jar Jar was that they were actually funny.

The only reason my idea has a comic relief character is because it uses the old Hollywood technique of "When in doubt... rip off Akira Kurosawa!" and it has a guy who is essentially Toshiro Mifune's character from the Seven Samurai... who is a scruffy, gruff, rude, horny, socially awkward drunken Jedi who probably isn't even really a Jedi and just somehow stole a beat up lightsaber and some dirty robes, but the other Jedi let him hang around because they like him and they could use another guy with a sword, even though he's going into battle completely plastered. Toshiro Mifune rules and practically steals the show in that movie. He's a complete rear end in a top hat, but he's the kinda rear end in a top hat you can't help but love.

I wouldn't think it's a terrible idea, because the Seven Samurai is considered to be one of the best films ever made, almost up there with Citizen Kane. Course, you really don't need the character though, it's just an idea I was tossing out there.

My idea of Anakin is really like a young Captain Kirk. Reckless, cocky, extremely smug and has an immense ego. Before he meets Padme, he goes around in space on adventures and bangs multiple green space women at once all the time. It works, because Captain Kirk is essentially the quintessential Space Opera Hero Archetype (TM). The original Star Wars was big on borrowing ideas from mythology and pulp fiction, so it works. Obi-Wan is sometimes annoyed by Anakin's stupidity, irresponsibility and reckless attitude, but he honestly has fun going on adventures with Anakin as he finds his attitude a little refreshing compared to a lot of sometimes uptight and boring Jedi monks and Anakin makes him feel a little nostalgic for his days as a youth.

I do really prefer the idea of the Republic becoming the Empire and not being conquered by it. Heck, you could even still have the war engineered by Palpatine! Except this time around he isn't in control of both sides, he just started it under false pretenses, and it isn't just Palpatine who is in on the scheme.

More like the explanation in the book, Palpatine is a corrupt, but charismatic politician. He's like a Ronald Regan. His public face is a friendly old man who loves morals and family values. Behind the scenes, he's greedy, hateful, racist and makes dirty deals. The Lobbyists and corrupt senators absolutely love him because he practically (and later literally) lets them get away with murder. Palpatine doesn't make a master plan to destroy Democracy overnight. In fact, it's practically already gone - at this point the Republic is practically an oligarchy disguised as a democracy.

A lot of the bad people who already pretty much rule the Republic are overjoyed when Palpatine declares himself Emperor, because he's giving them even more money and power, and he's stamping out anyone who opposes them. You remember those creepy old guys who would hang out with the Emperor in ROTJ? This is those guys. At this point, people only get things done in the Republic through bribes and favors. They do him a favor by making him the Emperor, he does them favors. The people in the government who actually do care about helping the people are effectively rendered powerless. And a lot of the jerks in the government are also secretly part of Palpatine's Sith cult.

In the Clone Wars, Anakin is a huge hero. He isn't a messiah... but he's starting to think he is. Something happens to him, though. As the war goes on, he becomes more bitter and frustrated about the world. Watching friends and loved ones die starts turning him into a bit of a nihilist. He is frustrated about what goes on in the Republic, but he and everybody else seem powerless to do anything. Anakin finds out about Palpatine's Sith secret society. They tempt him with money and power. Anakin thinks to himself, when you can't beat them... join them.

Anakin was a good guy at first, and had good intentions at first... but Palpatine's way starts to become way too tempting. Anakin's morals have always been a little shaky, but he did things with good intentions. Anakin starts doing more and more unethical things, and they start escalating. Anakin joins the Sith cult, and they give him his Sith name: Darth Vader. Vader adopts a new philosophy: there is no such thing as Good or Evil. There is only the weak... and the strong.

By late into the second movie or early in the third, Anakin finally kills somebody in cold blood. Revenge isn't his motivation. It's greed. Anakin's situation is starting to become like a guy who got involved with the mafia and is becoming one of their thugs. The other Jedi see what a bad example he has become, and they publicly denounce him and excommunicate him.

Padme grows increasingly unhappy with their relationship. She starts wondering where all these houses and ships and luxury items are coming from. Anakin returns her concerns by starting to smack her around. Padme leaves him and goes to Obi-Wan for help. Vader sees her with Obi-Wan a lot and start believing they are having an affair. In fact, one option that you could do is that Obi-Wan and Padme actually do have an affair (thought of this seeing episode 3, would have made it make way more sense). Vader sees Padme kiss Obi-Wan, and he snaps. He's going to kill them both. Vader starts hunting them down, and finally corners them. Obi-Wan and Vader have their famous volcano duel, and Obi-Wan beats him. (The "falling into a volcano" origin was in the mythology wayyy before the prequels, it was in the ROTJ novel.)

The Emperor's men recover Darth Vader, barely alive after his severe burning, and rebuild him as the monster we see in the OT around the time the Republic officially becomes the Empire. The Jedi denounced him. His best friend and mentor betrayed him and slept with his wife. He has had it with the Jedi. When the Emperor asks Vader to exterminate the Jedi, he happily obliges.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gammatron 64 posted:

I do really prefer the idea of the Republic becoming the Empire and not being conquered by it. Heck, you could even still have the war engineered by Palpatine! Except this time around he isn't in control of both sides, he just started it under false pretenses, and it isn't just Palpatine who is in on the scheme.

The main reason I prefer the Republic being conquered by the Empire and not becoming it is it gives the war some reason for fighting it. If Palpatine engineer's the war, and the Jedi are fighting on a side that Palpatine wants them too, then if the bad guys win everyone is screwed, and if the "good guys" win, everyone is screwed. It works for some types of films, but I don't think space opera is suited to it. It's a massive galaxy spanning war, and you should be really hoping one side wins. Even if that side loses, you're more interested in the battles if there's something at stake. Palpatine trying to take over through the war makes the battles interesting. Palpatine trying to take over through manipulation behind the scenes makes the battles shiny distractions from the plot.

But that's just my opinion on how I'd do it. There's plenty of ways to make better prequels. I just like the way it brings Star Wars back to simple light side vs. dark side, and not political machinations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Starsnostars posted:

Is there an EU story were Grievous comes back to life/gets rebuilt/is cloned?

Yeah. It's called Star Wars Galaxies :smug:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

TheCommodore07 posted:

It's not the Imperial March. It's the Emperor's Theme from ROTJ.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

As the TheCommodore07 said, it's not the Imperial March; it's the Emperor's theme, which you hear when he's landing aboard the second Death Star. Compare the vocals of each.

Yeah, I feel really stupid now. Finally spotted it anyway, thanks for helping.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves
This may have been brought up before or maybe in one of the Plinket reviews but who wanted Senator Padme / Amadala dead and why?

The only person I can come up with is Nut Gunray and revenge, I guess?

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 4, 2011

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
^^ Yeah, Gunray spent ten years trying to kill one girl who had a vague something to do with stopping some misguided scheme that he was carrying out for someone else. Such a rich and multi-dimensional addition to the Star Wars lexicon.

KillWhitey posted:

Salacious Crumb?
That little Rat-thing had a name?

Crowetron posted:

Salacious Crumb!
Please don't. You'll give the bearded one ideas.

Thrawn, JediTalentAgent, Gammatron posted:

What the prequels should have been...
Thanks for the well thought out replies. It's always interesting to see what path everyone takes to the same goal. There's no chance the fan community will ever agree on one, or that it'll ever get made, but the sets of cliff-notes you've posted make some food for thought.

Thrawn2012 posted:

...I generally hate fan fiction, but I'm so close to writing these up...
Don't let a little thing like shame stop you! Remember, on the internet, no-one knows you're the Queen of the Netherlands.

Seriously though, getting together a non-rabid fan collaboration of ideas into a half decent movie proposal for the internet's enjoyment feels like a good idea. So long as I wasn't forced to helm such a project, I'd gladly participate.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

thrawn527 posted:

The main reason I prefer the Republic being conquered by the Empire and not becoming it is it gives the war some reason for fighting it. If Palpatine engineer's the war, and the Jedi are fighting on a side that Palpatine wants them too, then if the bad guys win everyone is screwed, and if the "good guys" win, everyone is screwed. It works for some types of films, but I don't think space opera is suited to it. It's a massive galaxy spanning war, and you should be really hoping one side wins. Even if that side loses, you're more interested in the battles if there's something at stake. Palpatine trying to take over through the war makes the battles interesting. Palpatine trying to take over through manipulation behind the scenes makes the battles shiny distractions from the plot.

But that's just my opinion on how I'd do it. There's plenty of ways to make better prequels. I just like the way it brings Star Wars back to simple light side vs. dark side, and not political machinations.

A poster above suggested that when it doubt, rip off Akira Kurosawa. Works for me, but I'd extend it - when in doubt about a grand overarching plot for a war, rip off Thucydides and Edward Gibbon, or classical history in general. Mix and match - Palpatine is a Caesar figure, the clones are the Carthaginians with Grievous (and fix his name) as Hannibal.

You have the Clone Wars in Ep 1 & 2. You'd keep Palpatine offscreen to the extent practical, which might be completely offscreen. The war concludes in Ep. 3 with a Republic victory, with Palps seizing power, starting a brief but bloody Civil War, and launching a campaign of systematic extermination of the wandering-samurai Jedi. In each war, the audience gets to unambiguously root for the Republic during the Clone Wars, and against the nascent Empire once that comes about.

Obviously in that framework you can do just about anything with the story. You don't have to worry too much about lack of tension, since clearly every character except Anakin and Obi-Wan are at risk.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain von Trapp posted:

A poster above suggested that when it doubt, rip off Akira Kurosawa. Works for me, but I'd extend it - when in doubt about a grand overarching plot for a war, rip off Thucydides and Edward Gibbon, or classical history in general. Mix and match - Palpatine is a Caesar figure, the clones are the Carthaginians with Grievous (and fix his name) as Hannibal.

You have the Clone Wars in Ep 1 & 2. You'd keep Palpatine offscreen to the extent practical, which might be completely offscreen. The war concludes in Ep. 3 with a Republic victory, with Palps seizing power, starting a brief but bloody Civil War, and launching a campaign of systematic extermination of the wandering-samurai Jedi. In each war, the audience gets to unambiguously root for the Republic during the Clone Wars, and against the nascent Empire once that comes about.

Obviously in that framework you can do just about anything with the story. You don't have to worry too much about lack of tension, since clearly every character except Anakin and Obi-Wan are at risk.

I like this idea quite a bit, actually. Because it lets Obi-Wan and Anakin be completely on the same side for the entire war, but then they fall on different sides in the resulting Civil War. Anakin could then become a Marc Antony type character to Palpatine's Caesar (if Caesar hadn't died, of course). Anakin could be drawn to him by his vision of, I don't know, order and extreme justice, as well as his power in the Force. Then they wipe out the Jedi to end the war and kill off their biggest threat, these wandering-samurai Jedi who do not agree with Palpatine's way, and thus are creating a Rebellion.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, yeah! That's the logical way to do it.

Only thing I'd disagree with, is no Grievous. The Hannibal character is either Dooku or completely new. The reason I keep bringing up Dooku is that he could have been the prequel's "Darth Vader but Not", but he wasn't and was instead hugely wasted potential (he was Christopher Lee for godsakes!)

The bad guys are the Mandalorians. They're kind of like warlike "barbarians" attacking the Republic (Rome). Their army is enormous because they have clones. Neither Boba nor Jango Fett appear, though. There are millions of guys who wear similar armor, but they're just the disposable baddie cannon fodder that the Stormtroopers were in the OT.

The good guys aren't just Jedi and Clones, they're regular people off to fight in a war. The Jedi aren't in command. It's just that a lot of Jedi simply decide to enlist and fight in the war. It's a minor detail, but I think the Republican Soldiers should look like Stormtroopers... but without masks. They have shiny white armor, but you can see their faces - it's a psychological thing.

thrawn527 posted:

I like this idea quite a bit, actually. Because it lets Obi-Wan and Anakin be completely on the same side for the entire war, but then they fall on different sides in the resulting Civil War. Anakin could then become a Marc Antony type character to Palpatine's Caesar (if Caesar hadn't died, of course). Anakin could be drawn to him by his vision of, I don't know, order and extreme justice, as well as his power in the Force. Then they wipe out the Jedi to end the war and kill off their biggest threat, these wandering-samurai Jedi who do not agree with Palpatine's way, and thus are creating a Rebellion.

Sounds good!

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's room to talk about details and potential inspiration sources all day, but in a more general sense there's some basic rules that could have been followed and weren't:

-Stick with a tight cast of well-defined characters, and follow them and their personal arcs closely/contiguously
-Don't widen the story's focus beyond the scope that the OT had; starting with a broad scope with no character anchor and then getting more narrow and intimate towards the finale is awkward as hell
-Avoid poo poo that will neutralize the drama and tension of the OT's events (see: Vader), and avoid blatantly contradicting what's stated/shown in those films (see: Jedi)

Kurosawa? Hell yeah, go hogwild! Parallelism between trilogies? Sign me up, could be great for dramatic tension if Anakin and Luke face similar trials and choices. But that's details, when the reality is that the prequels could done well with a pretty similar plot if they'd just followed general guidelines like those.

I agree. Yeah, I rambled on and on for like a page about how corrupt Palpatine and the Senate are, but it's just backstory. Political stuff will certainly be mentioned, but it won't be shown or explored in the detail the prequels did. Somebody might be like "Why isn't the Republic sending troops to help us? I can't believe we elected that pig Palpatine" but that's basically the extent of it.

I think it should start in the middle of the Clone Wars. Doesn't matter how it started, or how it ended. It's about the characters.

Episode I: Obi-Wan and Anakin are just wandering Jedi. They find this girl Amidala who turns out to be the Princess of Naboo. They see the Mandalorians are treating the Naboo-ians like dirt, and decide to enlist in the army. Anakin flirts with Amidala, she thinks he's an utter douchebag at first (he kinda is) but eventually falls for him. Kinda like the Han \ Leia dynamic. The Mandalorians are beating the crap out of the smaller underdog Rupublic Army, but with the help of Obi-Wan and Anakin, they manage to win a major battle. Count Dooku is a big bad Sith General who kicks our heroes' asses, but they manage to make it out alive.
Episode II: At the end, there is a big battle where the Republic wins, and they beat Count Dooku. The path to the Mandalorian homeworld is wide open.
Episode III: The Clone Wars are over, but Palpatine hasn't relinquished his temporary dictator status. The Civil War starts, and Anakin and Obi-Wan are on different sides. Anakin goes all evil, a pregnant Padme flees, Anakin starts hunting down the Jedi, and then falls into a lava pit.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 4, 2011

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's room to talk about details and potential inspiration sources all day, but in a more general sense there's some basic rules that could have been followed and weren't:

-Stick with a tight cast of well-defined characters, and follow them and their personal arcs closely/contiguously
-Don't widen the story's focus beyond the scope that the OT had; starting with a broad scope with no character anchor and then getting more narrow and intimate towards the finale is awkward as hell
-Avoid poo poo that will neutralize the drama and tension of the OT's events (see: Vader), and avoid blatantly contradicting what's stated/shown in those films (see: Jedi)

Kurosawa? Hell yeah, go hogwild! Parallelism between trilogies? Sign me up, could be great for dramatic tension if Anakin and Luke face similar trials and choices. But that's details, when the reality is that the prequels could be done well with a pretty similar plot if they'd just followed general guidelines like those.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 4, 2011

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Kurosawa? Hell yeah, go hogwild! Parallelism between trilogies? Sign me up, could be great for dramatic tension if Anakin and Luke face similar trials and choices. But that's details, when the reality is that the prequels could done well with a pretty similar plot if they'd just followed general guidelines like those.

Yep. And you'd want to keep some of the mysteries and surprises of the OT intact as well. Offhand, I'd say:

We should never see Yoda. Obi-Wan is a relatively young guy (30s, say) but still a decade out from his training. He'd probably mention Yoda with obvious affection and reverence, and try to pass on some of his wisdom to Anakin, but that's it.

We should never see Palpatine use the Force overtly. Maybe we should never see him at all. He's known the way most of us know about national politicians - from a distance. I guess we should learn in the last prequel that he's a master of the dark side, since Anakin has to fall into that orbit somehow, but the RotJ lightning should still be a terrifying and completely unexpected surprise. If seen, he's a normal looking older guy, with his creepy look in the original trilogy left without explanation. The viewer can figure out for himself that the dark side is corrosive to the user.

We should never see force ghosts, or have them explained. On the other hand, it might be a wise thing to have all Jedi disappear on death, as a universal (if unexplained) thing.

We should never see the lightsaber overused or activated casually. If a lightsaber is onscreen, it's a Big Deal. Each of the original film's lightsaber scenes can be counted on one hand, and that should be true for the prequels.

In short, forget "dense" , effects or callbacks or otherwise. Less is more. The original Star Wars was a pretty spare and visually striking film. The director of our hypothetical prequel reboot should be thinking Sergio Leone, not Michael Bay.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yep. And you'd want to keep some of the mysteries and surprises of the OT intact as well. Offhand, I'd say:

We should never see Yoda. Obi-Wan is a relatively young guy (30s, say) but still a decade out from his training. He'd probably mention Yoda with obvious affection and reverence, and try to pass on some of his wisdom to Anakin, but that's it.

We should never see Palpatine use the Force overtly. Maybe we should never see him at all. He's known the way most of us know about national politicians - from a distance. I guess we should learn in the last prequel that he's a master of the dark side, since Anakin has to fall into that orbit somehow, but the RotJ lightning should still be a terrifying and completely unexpected surprise. If seen, he's a normal looking older guy, with his creepy look in the original trilogy left without explanation. The viewer can figure out for himself that the dark side is corrosive to the user.

We should never see force ghosts, or have them explained. On the other hand, it might be a wise thing to have all Jedi disappear on death, as a universal (if unexplained) thing.

We should never see the lightsaber overused or activated casually. If a lightsaber is onscreen, it's a Big Deal. Each of the original film's lightsaber scenes can be counted on one hand, and that should be true for the prequels.

In short, forget "dense" , effects or callbacks or otherwise. Less is more. The original Star Wars was a pretty spare and visually striking film. The director of our hypothetical prequel reboot should be thinking Sergio Leone, not Michael Bay.

I don't have much to add, I just want to say that I agree wholeheartedly with everything you just said.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The only problem with that, is that to make Yoda a surprise in ESB you can't show him, but then you have the problem where Obi-Wan was trained by Yoda, so to show Obi-wan you sort of have to include Yoda some way or the other.

I think the best option is to have the preferred order of viewing them be 4,5,6 and then 1,2,3. Because there's no way to not spoil Vader/Luke and Yoda, because at least the Vader/Luke thing has to be in the prequels.

I think a cool idea would have been to kill off Obi-wan, and then have him cloned or something. That's the only way to have tension. Then it's not a matter of knowing that he's going to be ok, but instead the mystery will be that he's dead, and how does he come back?

Maybe the clone wars are that both sides are trying to clone the Jedi's, to have them as pawns, and Anakin somehow gets them to clone Obi-wan, even though he didn't agree with it. Then when Obi-wan comes back, he's pissed at Anakin, they have a falling out, or something.

Eh. I don't care.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The only problem with that, is that to make Yoda a surprise in ESB you can't show him, but then you have the problem where Obi-Wan was trained by Yoda, so to show Obi-wan you sort of have to include Yoda some way or the other.

Showing Obi-Wan doesn't mean you have to show him being trained. In my mind, the prequels should start with Obi-Wan already a Jedi, maybe training Anakin, or maybe just convincing him to come with him on some "idealistic crusade". Doesn't mean Yoda has to be shown at all.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think a cool idea would have been to kill off Obi-wan, and then have him cloned or something. That's the only way to have tension. Then it's not a matter of knowing that he's going to be ok, but instead the mystery will be that he's dead, and how does he come back?

I couldn't disagree with this more. It would feel cheap and kind of silli, and we'd know he doesn't stay dead. The how he comes back is kind of pointless. We already know a couple people who won't die. Everyone else you introduce is fair game and tension can arise from there, and from the attrition the Clone Wars cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
In my imagination I always filled in the "Clone Wars" as being a war between the Jedi and their clones.

Looking back, I like some of the alternate ways to go covered here - and I think I agree with the consensus that Episode I was entirely unnecessary and just didn't feel "right" after seeing it in the theatres.

Plinkett has sort of knocked down any sort of belief I had that things were fine with the prequels when I really start comparing them to the OT that I grew up with.