Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Seventh Arrow posted:

Also, I have an Eden 700 watt head, but I'm running that in tandem with a Bergantino AE112 cab, but it reduces my output to about 300 watts. Why did I buy something like a Bergantino? I'm not sure, but I was at Club Bass here in Toronto and I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. So anyways, I don't have a car, so portability is an issue - but I'm probably not going to be able to find a cab of similar size that allows for more wattage, am I?

Looks like your current cab is 8 ohms, so finding a 4 ohm compact cab wouldn't be hard (Avatar makes a 1x12 and 2x10 that you can get in 4 ohm). I'm not aware of any 2 ohm single cabs, which would be the way to get the full 700 watts from your head. 4 ohms would be an improvement, though, especially if you pay attention to the sensitivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That's good to know, thanks. Plus, I'm not in a band at the moment...just thinking out loud for future considerations, I guess. I know I was drowned out pretty handily in my last band (lots of Who, Zep, Hendrix, etc.), but my current setup would probably do ok for lighter fare.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
No problem. Just for clarification for those who may not know, sensitivity refers to speaker sensitivity. Theoretically (ie all other things being equal, etc, etc) a 3 db increase in speaker sensitivity is the same increase in volume you would get by doubling amp wattage.*

I am not an electrical engineer. Please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

poopship posted:

15.6 pounds. I will need a harness.

It's made by a company called DDB. I cannot find any information on this thing at all.

Great cat expression! Which is heavier? The bass or the cat?

Also, knobs and shape remind me of the Cort Curbows. Pretty cool find, just hope you didn't spend good crack money on it.

lookitsjoe
Nov 29, 2005
I just bought a used Schecter Baron H bass...its seems pretty rare since I can't find much about the bass online but I really love its look and sound.

This is my first foray into active electronics, and though I love the tone and the capabilities, I hate the idea of the battery dying during a gig.

I assume they make dual active/passive pickup, which im considering switching to. Right now it has a duncan designed musician man-type pickup.

Any recommendations?

Also, is this a wise idea?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

lookitsjoe posted:

I just bought a used Schecter Baron H bass...its seems pretty rare since I can't find much about the bass online but I really love its look and sound.

This is my first foray into active electronics, and though I love the tone and the capabilities, I hate the idea of the battery dying during a gig.

I assume they make dual active/passive pickup, which im considering switching to. Right now it has a duncan designed musician man-type pickup.

Any recommendations?

Also, is this a wise idea?
Preamp batteries last forever. Just make sure you unplug the bass when you're not using it, and keep a spare 9V in your case.

Junkbuzzard
Aug 12, 2009
Found a squier fretless vintage modified with a drive cd300 amp for $175, if it's like new I'm going to go for it. Thanks for the advice again rear end members!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is anything going on with the VT Bass pedals? They're like $150 on Musician's Friend which seems very cheap to me, they were the same price on the Guitar Center site but now they're not even listed. Are they being phased out in favour of the Deluxes or something?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

baka kaba posted:

Is anything going on with the VT Bass pedals? They're like $150 on Musician's Friend which seems very cheap to me, they were the same price on the Guitar Center site but now they're not even listed. Are they being phased out in favour of the Deluxes or something?

If you need one/want one, call up theperfectbass.com and see what kind of a deal you can get. Otherwise, I would part with mine - lightly used, never left home, original box, non smoking home. I haven't used it in a while and will be upgrading to the deluxe in the next year.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Haha man, this is great

I can't really justify one at the moment and I'm not even in the US :) I was just window shopping, but I wondered what was going on with them. They seem so popular it would be weird if they were being discontinued

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
fyi... the bbe boosta grande - those are a bit cheaper on amazon.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I read that the VTs are getting updated, which is why they're hard to find right now. No one knows exactly what's happening, but there is speculation on talkbass. One of the guys there confirmed the update with Tech 21. I'd imagine you'll hear about the updates at NAMM in a few weeks.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Narwhale posted:

I read that the VTs are getting updated, which is why they're hard to find right now. No one knows exactly what's happening, but there is speculation on talkbass. One of the guys there confirmed the update with Tech 21. I'd imagine you'll hear about the updates at NAMM in a few weeks.

Yeah they're being phased out in favor of version 2 which I believe is coming at NAMM. One of the things widely speculated to be added is the ability to defeat the cabinet simulation circuit.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Plastic Snake posted:

One of the things widely speculated to be added is the ability to defeat the cabinet simulation circuit.
That makes complete sense, since all the newer pedals in the character series (Leeds, Oxford, US Steel) have a simulation on / off button. I'd also like to see a balanced, low Z, XLR out for DI added...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RetardedRobots posted:

That makes complete sense, since all the newer pedals in the character series (Leeds, Oxford, US Steel) have a simulation on / off button. I'd also like to see a balanced, low Z, XLR out for DI added...

The VT Deluxe has XLR Out... But yeah, it'd be nice to have that in the smaller casing as well.

Actually Mike over at Putnam Guitars dot com has been doing a mod for that for close to a year now I think.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Question about metronome practicing - how the hell do I do it to grooves?

I can practice scales to a metronome all day and night but I've been copying some of Ed Friedland's jams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJNxLqWcJLQ, first jam) on his reviews and can play the stuff he plays to the beat in my head but when I throw a click track in there it throws me off. Since it's less structured (obviously) than pure scales is it about finding which notes should match up to the click and go for that?

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
My old standby for learning new beats and grooves is to start slow and work up to speed. I find it usually only takes a couple slow runthroughs before you can start picking up the pace.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
No I can play it full speed and on beat either with the video or on my own, I just have trouble matching it to a metronome.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Some grooves might be 3/4 (or similar) instead of 4/4, but not obviously so- so what you might think is a 4-count is actually a quicker 3-count. Just set the metronome on what feels like the right beat and go from there? I have that trouble sometimes when writing stuff and realizing later I put the wrong metronome beat to start it off.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Yeah but those beats are 4/4.

gotly posted:

No I can play it full speed and on beat either with the video or on my own, I just have trouble matching it to a metronome.

Sure, I know you can play it at full speed without metronome and probably much faster, but after all the metronome is causing you trouble. If the metronome is what's throwing you off then maybe it's worth slowing it down a bit. Playing with a metronome is pretty different than playing with other musicians or playing alone, the metronome is rather relentless and doesn't resemble any other instruments.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

gotly posted:

The problem is probably the lack of syncopation in the metronome. I used to have the same problem. It also arises when you're playing with a very bland drummer.

You have to kind of hear a full beat (the "e's" and the "and's") in your head and just imagine the metronome ticks as the 1s 2s 3s and 4s.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
For when I want to work on syncopation, I grab this book. Yes, it is 'for the modern drummer' but the exercises are challenging for any instruments; I've done many of the exercises on guitar and bass too with equal amounts of cursing.

Set your metronome for quarters and play the high notes--even just playing a single string / note gets challenging as you increase the tempo.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RetardedRobots posted:

For when I want to work on syncopation, I grab this book. Yes, it is 'for the modern drummer' but the exercises are challenging for any instruments; I've done many of the exercises on guitar and bass too with equal amounts of cursing.

Set your metronome for quarters and play the high notes--even just playing a single string / note gets challenging as you increase the tempo.

Yup, wonderful approach to get into. Once I heard Chris Wood say "the bass is a drum," my approach to learning/practice changed completely and I've never looked back.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I understand that I need to play them in person, but if I could get a recommendation for a bass amp in the £300/$450 range I would be a happy man - I was looking at the Marshall MB4210 but it doesn't seem very popular anywhere and I guess there's a reason for that. I've currently got a 50w/16ohm WEM Dominator Bass Mk1 and it's crackling all over the place and generally sounds pretty muddy. I'm mainly interested in playing southern rock, blues and metal, if that makes any difference at all.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
My wife got me a snazzy Rondo SX bass for Christmas, woo!

I bought some replacement strings to try out (DR brand, heavy - .110 thickness) and on new year's eve my friend and I tried swapping them. When we got to the third string it got hooked on the string tree and I ended up snapping the string at the tuner. Most unfortunate, but lesson learned. I put the old string back on and snapped that one too! I looked at another bass in a music store on new year's day and noticed they had wound the strings around the tuners from the top of the post down toward the bottom, I guess I had made the mistake of doing the opposite. When I got new strings, I also made sure to push down the string on either side of the string tree to equalize the pressure on both sides.

So, now my bass has the only strings the sole music store that was open on January 1st had in stock which was chrome flatwounds. Of course as I was putting those on I put the fattest string on last and got a rude awakening of another tricky thing with the Rondo bass. The hole in the bridge where the strings go through was too small to fit the thread wrapped end of the string. I ended up having to cut off the thread to get the string to fit.

I'm sure my ear is too poor at this point to detect any real difference in tone anyway :) But, now to actually learn!

Oh, also, the guy at the music store said the string tree seemed to be awfully close to the nut. It's almost parallel to the first tuner. The bass he showed me in the store had the tree more between the 2nd and third tuners. Also the rondo string tree looked less likely to let strings slide smoothly back and forth. You can see the location of the string tree in this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwoodbury/5225084547/

He said it should be pretty easy to move it further up the head. Should I look into doing that? I'm not really positive what the point of a string tree even is. Also if I was going to move it I'd probably want to look into getting one that would allow the strings to move more easily back and forth for tuning.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Squibbles posted:

My wife got me a snazzy Rondo SX bass for Christmas, woo!

I bought some replacement strings to try out (DR brand, heavy - .110 thickness) and on new year's eve my friend and I tried swapping them. When we got to the third string it got hooked on the string tree and I ended up snapping the string at the tuner. Most unfortunate, but lesson learned. I put the old string back on and snapped that one too! I looked at another bass in a music store on new year's day and noticed they had wound the strings around the tuners from the top of the post down toward the bottom, I guess I had made the mistake of doing the opposite. When I got new strings, I also made sure to push down the string on either side of the string tree to equalize the pressure on both sides.

So, now my bass has the only strings the sole music store that was open on January 1st had in stock which was chrome flatwounds. Of course as I was putting those on I put the fattest string on last and got a rude awakening of another tricky thing with the Rondo bass. The hole in the bridge where the strings go through was too small to fit the thread wrapped end of the string. I ended up having to cut off the thread to get the string to fit.

I'm sure my ear is too poor at this point to detect any real difference in tone anyway :) But, now to actually learn!

Oh, also, the guy at the music store said the string tree seemed to be awfully close to the nut. It's almost parallel to the first tuner. The bass he showed me in the store had the tree more between the 2nd and third tuners. Also the rondo string tree looked less likely to let strings slide smoothly back and forth. You can see the location of the string tree in this photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwoodbury/5225084547/

He said it should be pretty easy to move it further up the head. Should I look into doing that? I'm not really positive what the point of a string tree even is. Also if I was going to move it I'd probably want to look into getting one that would allow the strings to move more easily back and forth for tuning.

I had many of the same problems with my SX 5er- they're obviously using very cheap parts to keep costs down. I ended up replacing the bridge on mine with a Schaller roller bridge, and I'll probably swap that out for a Badass V in the future.

String trees are often necessary on Fender style basses because the distance the strings have to travel to the tuners means that they break over the nut at a shallow angle. The trees/retainers make the angle steeper to improve tuning stability and eliminate buzzing. The problem with SX string retainers is that they're garbage- I replaced mine with a nice Hipshot: http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=236

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 6, 2011

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm not too familiar with doing things like changing trees/nuts/bridges etc. How hard should I try to get holes that line up with the existing hardware? And if I get something that doesn't line up do I have to pre-drill the holes for the new stuff or I can I drive it straight into the wood?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Squibbles posted:

I'm not too familiar with doing things like changing trees/nuts/bridges etc. How hard should I try to get holes that line up with the existing hardware? And if I get something that doesn't line up do I have to pre-drill the holes for the new stuff or I can I drive it straight into the wood?

With a nut, they can be glued in and if you screw it up, you can buy a new one. With a bridge, if the holes don't line up, you'll need to measure 15,000 times and then drill once. Screw it up? Yea, everything will be off kilter. You can be slightly off and tweak the bridge - depending which one it is, but not by much.

Which bass and which bridge do you have? Pictures would be very helpful - esp since I have a handful of spare 4 string'ed bridges sitting around here that I can offer.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I should have mentioned that all the actual work was done by my luthier friend. All I do is pester him with endless changes and modifications. I should also note that the Schaller roller bridge is actually a fairly poor design; the saddles are so long that I can't intonate my low C string properly and the rollers themselves are prone to slipping out of position. This is two strikes against Schaller for me, as I also found their straplocks to be inferior to Dunlop's. The Badass on my other bass seems to be a much simpler, more solid design so I'm eager to try the 5-string version.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Squibbles posted:

I'm not too familiar with doing things like changing trees/nuts/bridges etc.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627147 <- Read this for SX bass tune up information. You probably don't need to go to these lengths, but some good information and a really good read (very long).

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Schatten posted:

With a nut, they can be glued in and if you screw it up, you can buy a new one. With a bridge, if the holes don't line up, you'll need to measure 15,000 times and then drill once. Screw it up? Yea, everything will be off kilter. You can be slightly off and tweak the bridge - depending which one it is, but not by much.

Which bass and which bridge do you have? Pictures would be very helpful - esp since I have a handful of spare 4 string'ed bridges sitting around here that I can offer.

This appears to be the bridge that is on the bass right now: http://www.rondomusic.com/bbr1cr.html

Some pictures (big):
http://squibbles.org/squibbles.org/images/IMG_0326.JPG (bridge from the back)
http://squibbles.org/squibbles.org/images/IMG_0327.JPG (bridge 3/4 view)
http://squibbles.org/squibbles.org/images/IMG_0328.JPG (view along the strings)
http://squibbles.org/squibbles.org/images/IMG_0331.JPG (neck/frets)
http://squibbles.org/squibbles.org/images/IMG_0332.JPG (head)
http://squibbles.org/squibbles.org/images/IMG_0333.JPG (head - closer)
http://squibbles.org/squibbles.org/images/IMG_0334.JPG (overall)
http://squibbles.org/squibbles.org/images/IMG_0335.JPG (back)
http://squibbles.org/squibbles.org/images/IMG_0336.JPG (back - closer)

The above pictures are all from right after unboxing it. I haven't taken any with the new strings yet though. I am ok with the current bridge for now I think since I got it to fit. Assuming the thread around the first string is not important :p

RetardedRobots posted:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627147 <- Read this for SX bass tune up information. You probably don't need to go to these lengths, but some good information and a really good read (very long).

I actually ran across that thread the other day. I haven't read it in detail yet though. Thanks for the reminder to look at it more closely!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Here are the spares I have laying around. If anyone needs one, just ask and I'll ship it off. But doesn't look like the holes will line up for an SX bridge on any of these. Also, the all black Wilkenson isn't a great bridge. This is an early rev before posts were on the string hangers to hold better tension. As you can see on this one, the G is bent. Holds, prob, sorta.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
As suggested I brought only my head to a show tonight and it worked out great. It was at a venue with a sound guy I know is good or I wouldn't have tried it, but it saved me from having to lug that huge cab around. Thanks for the suggestion guys!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
https://vimeo.com/17894717

:yum:

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

https://vimeo.com/17894717

:yum:

I have one of this guy's basses. Bought it used on TalkBass. It owns.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Just checked out this dudes site, if I ever had enough money I would love to get a custom bass done. Maybe a 4 or 5 string fret less. :allears:

I sorta miss my old Warwick Dolphin pro 5 string. Sold it to a goon last summer when I intended on moving out, lost my job and spent all of the money on bills :saddowns:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
That's a cool vid. Chris' shop reminds me a lot of Pete Skjold's, although their setup and workflow are obviously set up to fit their individual tastes.

Looks like he's doing some great stuff these days-I'd love to try one, but I haven't ever seen one in my area. :(

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been trying unsuccessfully to ID a particular bass - anyone know what the p-bass Sven Pipien uses? I was channel surfing and saw the Black Crowes playing some concert. It's got a double-cutaway Fender-ish body, single pickup, but the headstock looked a lot like Hofner's.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Manky posted:

I've been trying unsuccessfully to ID a particular bass - anyone know what the p-bass Sven Pipien uses? I was channel surfing and saw the Black Crowes playing some concert. It's got a double-cutaway Fender-ish body, single pickup, but the headstock looked a lot like Hofner's.

In pictures I see a Hofner like violin bass and Sadowskys.

This might help. http://www.bassplayer.com/article/sven-pipien-black/jul-08/86153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

In pictures I see a Hofner like violin bass and Sadowskys.

This might help. http://www.bassplayer.com/article/sven-pipien-black/jul-08/86153

Yeah, he's a Sadowsky artist, so that'd be my guess.