Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Does anyone remember which goon was the keyboardist for Tokyo Police Club (Graham Wright)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Does anyone remember which goon was the keyboardist for Tokyo Police Club (Graham Wright)?

I think it was BlackSheepBoy.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

dokmo posted:

I think it was BlackSheepBoy.

That sounds right, thanks. One more thing - does he still post? I don't have plat, I can't check his history.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Not that I can find. Don't know if he changed his handle or not.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I feel like if this exists then everybody knows about it but me and I'm a dumbass, but I honestly don't: Is there a way to send and receive text messages to someone's phone from you computer? I know my friend can read and respond to facebook messages from her iphone. But my phone is still the cheapest one in the store from 5 years ago and I've never bothered to update it, so a lot of these technological innovations have passed me by. I know I can email myself from my phone, but what about the reverse? Can I email a cellphone number or send it an instant message?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Yes, you can; I do it all the time. Gimme a minute.

(edit) OK, I know I asked about it earlier in this thread, so I had to search my own posts to find you this link: http://www.email-unlimited.com/stuff/send-email-to-phone.htm

Not listed on that site: messages to Virgin Mobile Canada are 10digitphonenumber@vmobile.ca

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 1, 2011

Kill Whitey
Dec 27, 2010

Be provocative, be organized.
New here, what determines the little icon next to a thread? Is it selected by the OP? Some seem appropriate, some don't.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Kill Whitey posted:

New here, what determines the little icon next to a thread? Is it selected by the OP? Some seem appropriate, some don't.

Yup, picked by the OP. If you don't pick one it will say poo poo Post.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is there an ask/tell or some other thread elsewhere that talks about the best credit cards in terms of cash back rewards?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

madkapitolist posted:

Is there an ask/tell or some other thread elsewhere that talks about the best credit cards in terms of cash back rewards?

BFC
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3252512

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

The time has come, this month I will pay my very last student loan payment and I won't owe Sallie Mae poo poo anymore. Once this comes off of my credit report as a monthly payment is it more plausible for my credit score to go up, or down?

I know that (I think that) having fixed monthly payments helps your credit, but paying it off completely should help too, right? RIGHT? Obviously I will find out soon enough, but if anyone has experience with this wants to chime in it would help me sleep better at night.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

Bojanglesworth posted:

The time has come, this month I will pay my very last student loan payment and I won't owe Sallie Mae poo poo anymore. Once this comes off of my credit report as a monthly payment is it more plausible for my credit score to go up, or down?

I know that (I think that) having fixed monthly payments helps your credit, but paying it off completely should help too, right? RIGHT? Obviously I will find out soon enough, but if anyone has experience with this wants to chime in it would help me sleep better at night.

The formula by which your credit score is formulated is not public knowledge, but yes, paying off debts should help your score even more than having no debt in the first place. Being able to manage loan payments is a good thing, though I can't say for sure whether it's better than paying one off completely. I would assume the latter would not lower your score.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it considered warez if I upload music/ambient files from a videogame, particularly Simcity 4 to a website? The music files are pretty amazing and its hard to find them compiled somewhere. I put them together and got their song names in a folder.(There was pretty much a folder that had all the files packed in there nicely) Maxis/EA was selling the sound track list, however you could freely download some of the songs from the actual website itself. (Half of the songs arent up for download, for whatever reason)

Of course its just free distribution obviously, but I would like people to hear the music without them having to buy a game they would never play, just for it.

Ill come out and just say it. Could I put a link on SA so I can give everyone the files? Or is what im doing potentially illegal and will get me banned if I upload the songs or mention of it?

buglord fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 2, 2011

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Avocadoes posted:

Is it considered warez if I upload music/ambient files from a videogame, particularly Simcity 4 to a website?

I'm no lawyer, but generally, distributing copyrighted content without permission is considered piracy, unless the owner of the copyright has stated they allow distribution. Since EA is selling the sound track, I'm going to guess they don't allow public distribution.

Can't say why they posted some files and not others. But I've been probated just for mentioning :filez: on SA before.

(it's a bad idea)

Abel Wingnut posted:

What are the best nutrients or supplements for improving memory? My memory is absolutely terrible and I'm trying anything I can to help.

change my name posted:

Try SAmart, I think some people are still selling cheap piracetam/choline

I can vouch for nooblube, ordered from him several times now. Goon discount too. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3055904

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 2, 2011

darkbob87
Jan 20, 2006
Can I sell UNUSED stamps back to the USPS?

I had a family member pass away recently (old age, nothing sinister), and while we were going through her belongings and cleaning out her house, I came across seven rolls of stamps (she was an old lady, and as such she mailed a billion letters/cards/complaints to the town a year). These are 44-cent ($.44) USA First-Class stamps, still sealed in plastic wrap. Seven rolls of $.44 stamps, with each roll having one hundred stamps...thats $44/roll and $308 for the lot of them, aka a new Xbox 360 or pair of carbon fiber Ray-Bans.

Can I bring these to a local Post Office and get a refund? Or do I have to sell them on SA Mart/eBay/Craigslist?

Here's an image of the stamp...not that it's really necessary, I suppose...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

darkbob87 posted:

Can I sell UNUSED stamps back to the USPS?

USPS.com says they'll only do exchanges on stamps, and only if certain criteria are met. Still, try calling 800-ASK-USPS, or maybe stop by your local post office when they're not busy.

If you can't get anywhere with USPS, try selling them online for a little less than their actual value. And don't open them.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
What's the best data recovery program I can get for not too much money?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Where can I find a shirt that says "WORLDS GREETEST TEECHOR"? I saw a guy at work wearing one today but I was busy with customers and he was on his way out. I'd love to get one for my boyfriend, who is a TA.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

silversiren posted:

Where can I find a shirt that says "WORLDS GREETEST TEECHOR"? I saw a guy at work wearing one today but I was busy with customers and he was on his way out. I'd love to get one for my boyfriend, who is a TA.

Buy a white t shirt and a pack of iron-on transfers. Print the text out, iron it on, and be ghetto loving fabulous.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

What's the best data recovery program I can get for not too much money?

What's the problem with your disk and what kind of data are you looking to recover?
What OS are you trying to recover from? What media are you using (Harddrive, DVD, Memory card?)
Some more info would help us get the proper program for you to use.

Damaged partition? TestDisk
Deleted a couple files? PhotoRec or Recuva.

Note: All these tools should not be installed to or run from the disk you're trying to get data from.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

BorderPatrol posted:

What's the problem with your disk and what kind of data are you looking to recover?
What OS are you trying to recover from? What media are you using (Harddrive, DVD, Memory card?)
Some more info would help us get the proper program for you to use.

Damaged partition? TestDisk
Deleted a couple files? PhotoRec or Recuva.

Note: All these tools should not be installed to or run from the disk you're trying to get data from.

My laptop is over six years old now and it fucks up every so often - windows XP. Unfortunately it stopped booting up last week and repairing it didn't work so I had to just re-install Windows. It being a 6-year-old laptop, I didn't have a lot of important info on it, but there are a handful of files I'm sorry to lose, and was wondering if it's possible to restore files on a wiped pc. If it's not possible that's ok, just grasping at straws.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Buy a white t shirt and a pack of iron-on transfers. Print the text out, iron it on, and be ghetto loving fabulous.

Actually maybe magic marker would be even more fabulouser.

Maynardr6
Feb 3, 2004

Huntersoninski posted:

My laptop is over six years old now and it fucks up every so often - windows XP. Unfortunately it stopped booting up last week and repairing it didn't work so I had to just re-install Windows. It being a 6-year-old laptop, I didn't have a lot of important info on it, but there are a handful of files I'm sorry to lose, and was wondering if it's possible to restore files on a wiped pc. If it's not possible that's ok, just grasping at straws.

There's a program that reasonably easy to use called getdataback ntfs. It does a scan and then you can restore the stuff it finds. For the best chances of success, don't download anything or do anything that would write to the drive as the files you're looking for will be in the free space and will be written over. Download an iso of hirens boodcd on a seperate computer, burn it, and you'll find it in a folder called "wintools" or something like that. If you need any more help, let me know. Again, don't even use the laptop as just using it, things will be being written.

EDIT: oh yea, and don't restore to the disk either. restore to flash drive. Photorec was metioned. It is also on the hirens cd if you boot to the cd, but it's dos based and a little less intuitive, but it's very good at restoring known file types like pictures. It's very good though, and if you have trouble with getdataback, try it.

Maynardr6 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 3, 2011

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
A longshot here but:

In one of the DJ Mixes Megathreads in Musician's Lounge, someone posted a mix that was submitted to Rockstar to be used in GTA I think. It was available, streaming, from their website.

Anyone have a link to it?

darkbob87
Jan 20, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

Maynardr6 posted:

There's a program that reasonably easy to use called getdataback ntfs. It does a scan and then you can restore the stuff it finds. For the best chances of success, don't download anything or do anything that would write to the drive as the files you're looking for will be in the free space and will be written over. Download an iso of hirens boodcd on a seperate computer, burn it, and you'll find it in a folder called "wintools" or something like that. If you need any more help, let me know. Again, don't even use the laptop as just using it, things will be being written.

EDIT: oh yea, and don't restore to the disk either. restore to flash drive. Photorec was metioned. It is also on the hirens cd if you boot to the cd, but it's dos based and a little less intuitive, but it's very good at restoring known file types like pictures. It's very good though, and if you have trouble with getdataback, try it.

I can totally vouch for getdataback NTFS. I used it about two and a half years ago when my music/movie/backup hard drive got corrupted. Of the 250 or so GB of data on the drive, I got well over 95 percent of it back with no issues.

Paccione
Aug 17, 2003

The most famous shot in the history of television
How come radio stations only play 'song x' of 'band x' and they only play that song over and over again until it's played out to hell, and then all switch to 'song y' of 'band x' and repeat the process? They obviously have access to the entire album. How come they don't/can't play some of the other good songs before everyone else does it?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

darkbob87 posted:

I can totally vouch for getdataback NTFS. I used it about two and a half years ago when my music/movie/backup hard drive got corrupted. Of the 250 or so GB of data on the drive, I got well over 95 percent of it back with no issues.

Also agreeing with getdataback, I couldn't remember the name of it though.

Paccione posted:

How come radio stations only play 'song x' of 'band x' and they only play that song over and over again until it's played out to hell, and then all switch to 'song y' of 'band x' and repeat the process? They obviously have access to the entire album. How come they don't/can't play some of the other good songs before everyone else does it?

Bands release singles from the album. As radios like to play what's current, they play whats in the singles chart. The more a single gets played (by request, or recommendation by the DJ) the higher it charts and the higher it charts, the more it gets played (from popularity and quota). The more it gets played the more it will get purchased and the more it is purchased, the higher up the top 10 it will get. At least that's how our top 40 works in the UK: 40-30=plays, 10-1=plays+sales.

BBC radio stations have to play songs in the charts x number of times per day, e.g. the number one song of the week will be played on all of the shows all day every day. Other songs in the top 10 will be played at least twice a day etc.

Basically, radio is a promotional tool for musicians to reach a larger audience. It is in a radio stations interests to play the current single for the bands, if the don't the band may not licence their material for play on that station. If the station doesn't have music that is current and/or popular, people won't listen.

I don't know why local radio stations choose to play one song from the band over and over when its out of popularity though. Snow Patrol, Chasing Cars was the only song Trent FM played in 2009 I think. Literally.

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 3, 2011

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Paccione posted:

Piggybacking off of Gwar3k1's answer, in the US Payola is the illegal practice of paying a station to play a song. It is still openly and notoriously practiced. At least with mainstream stuff, a lot of work goes into determining which songs are most likely to be successful/hook the listener, and those are the singles (hence why they don't pay to play any old random track off of the album).

Besides what the wiki points out, using third parties to avoid being totally obvious, the most common tactic now is that the station is expected to play artist X's song at least 10 times per day or else artist X probably won't be able to play station's holiday/summer/etc. rock concert featuring bunches of still-too-small-to-tour-on-their-own bands.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Also the same reason movie theaters generally don't play foreign & independent movies. They get more listeners by playing the top 40 stuff instead of B sides.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Schweinhund posted:

Also the same reason movie theaters generally don't play foreign & independent movies. They get more listeners by playing the top 40 stuff instead of B sides.

Actually once you mention that aspect, then the rise of classic rock stations becomes interesting.

In the Northeast, it seemed every other station was classic rock.

Clearly(?) there is no payola going on, and no record sales being driven. It is just people listening to a station that plays music they want to listen to.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Stupid question:

Why is futuristic currently being portrayed as consisting of mostly Blue LED lighting?

This article makes some interesting points about blue shift in general:
http://bit.ly/hhL19D

Anyone else have any ideas?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

kapalama posted:

Actually once you mention that aspect, then the rise of classic rock stations becomes interesting.

In the Northeast, it seemed every other station was classic rock.

Clearly(?) there is no payola going on, and no record sales being driven. It is just people listening to a station that plays music they want to listen to.

You also have to remember they are making money on advertising. So a classic rock station probably makes a fair amount of money that way. Maybe even more than a pop station.

I have a radio related question too. How can a radio station afford to give away so much money. I rarely listen to the radio but every once in a while I will and I will hear promotions where they are giving away like $20k a week for the whole month, or a million dollars at the end of the year. That seems totally insane to me. I think every radio station in this area does the "Hot 101.whatever pays your bills" or whatever. How could they possibly have the money for that?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Bojanglesworth posted:

You also have to remember they are making money on advertising. So a classic rock station probably makes a fair amount of money that way. Maybe even more than a pop station.

I have a radio related question too. How can a radio station afford to give away so much money. I rarely listen to the radio but every once in a while I will and I will hear promotions where they are giving away like $20k a week for the whole month, or a million dollars at the end of the year. That seems totally insane to me. I think every radio station in this area does the "Hot 101.whatever pays your bills" or whatever. How could they possibly have the money for that?

I'm pretty sure those are national contests through Clear Channel or Cumulus. Maybe not, but those I looked into a year or two were.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

kapalama posted:

Stupid question:

Why is futuristic currently being portrayed as consisting of mostly Blue LED lighting?

This article makes some interesting points about blue shift in general:
http://bit.ly/hhL19D

Anyone else have any ideas?

True blue LEDs weren't possible until relatively recently. That's why blue is used everywhere now, it was a novelty that went against the traditional green and red LEDs for power. Blue also fits in with white which is used in utopian future designs as it represents minimalism, simplicity and is accessible to all.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Maynardr6 posted:

Thanks! That's really awesome! I won't be able to try it til I can actually get to my other computer later this month...til then my laptop's all I have so I guess I'll just have to risk using it. Again, I didn't keep anything deadly important on here, so if I lose something it won't be the end of the world. Thanks again for your help!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

TetsuoTW posted:

So you know how in a lot of songs - mostly pop, it seems - for the final repetition of the chorus or maybe even the final verse they shift the key of the song up slightly? Is there a name for that?

Yea, this is called modulation, or in more common parlance, a key change. The timing of the shift doesn't matter at all, you would just describe it as a late key change or late modulation.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
What is the name of that little black book that goons are very fond of? All I remember is the cover has 3 gold L shapes on it, and it was called reference guide or something along those lines.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Pocket Reference, by Thomas J Glover. Shown below is the "MAKE" branded one, because that's what GIS turned up:

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Is there a website/service that I can use to read my Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr posts? If I could minimize all 3 into one little service/site, that would save me a lot of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Gravity Pike posted:

Pocket Reference, by Thomas J Glover. Shown below is the "MAKE" branded one, because that's what GIS turned up:

Thank you very much!