Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I used to roll with PAW kneepads, but I pretty much gave them up. They don't really suck, but they don't feel as solid as the cheap-rear end pair of Reeboks I have now. Also unless she asks you for your leg thickness and gives you the right amount of velcro these days, you'll get WAY too much slack in the velcro straps. I had to cut mine down to size and install metal clasps because I was tired of wrapping the Velcro around my knee twice and having to use tape to keep it closed.

If your kneepads are sliding down, you should consider lacing them into your pants. It felt REALLY weird for the first skate out, but not having to adjust them made playing in them like night and day.

e: I don't mean to poo poo on PAW kneepads, I mean. She could have fixed all this stuff, but I bought one of her early runs and while it was capable I think I got a better deal by buying a real brand name kneepad instead.

e2: Oh I should mention that when I laced my Rbk kneepads into my pants I had to make my own holes because the "factory" holes were also too high and the pads would have sat low on my legs. I just took a drill bit and made two ghetto holes after I measured out where they needed to be, then just used skate lace to tie them to my pants.

Really ghetto, but it's the perfect solution for me.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

Hmmm, I'm thinking I may find a way to attach them to my pads. My order hasn't processed yet, so would I be better off ordering the VKP8800s or the Reebok Premier 2s with the garters?

real_scud posted:

Personally I'm waiting to find a pair of the RBK Premier 2's because they look both a lot more comfortable and a lot easier to keep in place thanks to the garter.

I've got a pair of the RBK Premier knee pads with the garter and really liked them when I used them. They are massive though! With the garter belt, the knee pads never moved or shifted. The knee pads themselves were absolutely bomb-proof.

If either of you are interested, I could sell them to you for $20 + shipping. If you don't like it, you can ship it back at your own cost and I'll refund the money.

I replaced the RBK garter-belt knee pads with the knee/thigh guards that come with the Reebok Revoke pads and I really like them. The Revoke protectors have much less bulk (I don't think I needed the amount of protection the garter-belt knee pads gave). Plus, you can lace the Revoke protector into your pad (where the thigh boards would normally be laced into) and they don't ever slip off your knee. Magical!

parsleyc fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 3, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

parsleyc posted:

If either of you are interested, I could sell them to you for $20 + shipping. If you don't like it, you can ship it back at your own cost and I'll refund the money.
Yeah I'll take 'em for $20 cause I can't find them on sale anywhere that isn't $80-90. Send me a PM with the info and I'll send you some money today

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

I used to roll with PAW kneepads, but I pretty much gave them up. They don't really suck, but they don't feel as solid as the cheap-rear end pair of Reeboks I have now. Also unless she asks you for your leg thickness and gives you the right amount of velcro these days, you'll get WAY too much slack in the velcro straps. I had to cut mine down to size and install metal clasps because I was tired of wrapping the Velcro around my knee twice and having to use tape to keep it closed.

If your kneepads are sliding down, you should consider lacing them into your pants. It felt REALLY weird for the first skate out, but not having to adjust them made playing in them like night and day.

e: I don't mean to poo poo on PAW kneepads, I mean. She could have fixed all this stuff, but I bought one of her early runs and while it was capable I think I got a better deal by buying a real brand name kneepad instead.

Unfortunately, the anchor point on my pants is about halfway up the leg, so my reason for considering Paw is that I could have her sew on a velcro strap that would allow me to anchor the knee pads the same way that the thigh guards that come with my pants were anchored. Ideally, I'd like to have knee pads that I could trust so that I could remove the thigh guards from pads and just use the one set of knee pads to cover my knees and thighs.

If I were to order the knee pads from her, then I would stress that the Vaughn knee pads were way too loose and that I need something that attaches tighter. I'll probably look into some other knee pads before I place an order, but I'm just trying to find something that offers good protection and that won't require using clear shin tape to keep in place.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

real_scud posted:

Yeah I'll take 'em for $20 cause I can't find them on sale anywhere that isn't $80-90. Send me a PM with the info and I'll send you some money today

I don't have PM, you can e-mail me at leonc3 AT gmail.com (also my Paypal address). Let me know if you'd like to see some pictures or to see my Ebay feedback.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

Unfortunately, the anchor point on my pants is about halfway up the leg, so my reason for considering Paw is that I could have her sew on a velcro strap that would allow me to anchor the knee pads the same way that the thigh guards that come with my pants were anchored. Ideally, I'd like to have knee pads that I could trust so that I could remove the thigh guards from pads and just use the one set of knee pads to cover my knees and thighs.

Yeah, sorry I completely forgot how mismatched the mounting holes are on most pant/kneepad setups. I edited my post above, but what I ended up doing was poking two holes physically through my kneepads after measuring where they'd need to be to line up with the mounting tab in my pants, then using skate lace through the holes to tie the kneepad to the pants.

Ridiculously ghetto and iffy if you just dropped money on a new pair of kneepads, but it worked really well for me, and mine were only like $20 to begin with so it didn't really have the same "wrecking new equipment" shock that it would with an $80 pair right out of the bag :v:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

parsleyc posted:

I'll take them if real_scud doesn't like 'em.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, sorry I completely forgot how mismatched the mounting holes are on most pant/kneepad setups. I edited my post above, but what I ended up doing was poking two holes physically through my kneepads after measuring where they'd need to be to line up with the mounting tab in my pants, then using skate lace through the holes to tie the kneepad to the pants.

Ridiculously ghetto and iffy if you just dropped money on a new pair of kneepads, but it worked really well for me, and mine were only like $20 to begin with so it didn't really have the same "wrecking new equipment" shock that it would with an $80 pair right out of the bag :v:

They arleady have a string running through them, which is way too short to be useful, so I could try replacing those strings with skate lace and seeing if I can properly anchor them to the pants. That still doesn't solve the problem with the straps being too lose, though I suspect that I could just wrap some tape around the straps to keep them semi permamently in place. I may mess around with that tonight and see what I can come up with.

Edit: I should probably replace my skate laces tonight too, since they are getting kind of ratty. It will be a goalie DYI fest that will make the late, great Chris Chianelli proud.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 3, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

parsleyc posted:

I don't have PM, you can e-mail me at leonc3 AT gmail.com (also my Paypal address). Let me know if you'd like to see some pictures or to see my Ebay feedback.
Email sent.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

Edit: I should probably replace my skate laces tonight too, since they are getting kind of ratty. It will be a goalie DYI fest that will make the late, great Chris Chianelli proud.

Unless your goal pads are like 30% duct tape then I think you'd better step aside son, I've got this trophy on my mantle :smug:

Oh man, so much of my equipment is hacked together/DIY'd :psyduck:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Unless your goal pads are like 30% duct tape then I think you'd better step aside son, I've got this trophy on my mantle :smug:

Oh man, so much of my equipment is hacked together/DIY'd :psyduck:

My old pads are, does that count?

Edit: I may even re-tape my sticks for the first time in months!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

My old pads are, does that count?

Edit: I may even re-tape my sticks for the first time in months!

Months? Ha! I go at least a year, usually. The blade cuts are badges of honor!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only time I re-tape my sticks is when the electrical tape I put on the bottom of the blade starts to wear away. I like the little bit of moisture protection it adds :3:

Gruven
Jul 10, 2008

crusader donkey posted:

Hey Gruven, are you playing for Cobra Kai this season? Josh asked me to play goal for them/you.

Yes sir. I actually brought you up when I informed Josh our goalie can't play this season. Tried to get him to pick up Adam too, not sure if he's joining.

UnmaskedGremlin:
I showed some guys on my team that jersey when I saw you post it a while back, sadly everyone is too cheap to throw down for new jerseys otherwise I was thinking of stealing that idea.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

nahanahs posted:

I wouldn't say tight at all. I strap them secure, but not tight.

On another subject, I found some silver duct tape (think the color of tin foil) and decided to change my gear again. Before I go to the trouble of finishing the gloves, I thought I'd get some opinions here. What do you guys think?

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Like the pads. Gloves are really hard to see (aka do not like).

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

coldwind posted:

Like the pads. Gloves are really hard to see (aka do not like).

They're easier to make out in person, since they look mirrorish, but I'm going to take the tape off the gloves. I played last night and the shots those areas were taking was making the tape pop up some

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The pads look good, but yeah, ditch the tape on the gloves. To be honest after playing with gray/silver on my equipment I wish I could get rid of the colour. Plain black and white pads are so much nicer :3:

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Look into Duck Tape. That and an x-acto can drastically change the appearance of gear pretty easily.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Gruven posted:

UnmaskedGremlin:
I showed some guys on my team that jersey when I saw you post it a while back, sadly everyone is too cheap to throw down for new jerseys otherwise I was thinking of stealing that idea.

Ah that sucks. If you know anyone who can do screen printing relatively cheap, you can get em done for $35 or so a jersey, which IMO, is pretty reasonable.

Also, 2 assists tonight to make up for the 2 soft goals I gave up (we still won 10-5, against a very potent offensive minded team). So far this session in the 29 games I've played (on 5 teams) I have 4 assists.

:whatup:

UnmaskedGremlin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 4, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Ah that sucks. If you know anyone who can do screen printing relatively cheap, you can get em done for $35 or so a jersey, which IMO, is pretty reasonable.

Also, 2 assists tonight to make up for the 2 soft goals I gave up (we still won 10-5, against a very potent offensive minded team). So far this session in the 29 games I've played (on 5 teams) I have 4 assists.

:whatup:
I stopped a slow dump-in and left it for my d-man who took it end-to-end and scored. I got nothing on the score sheet. I was sad.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

coldwind posted:

I stopped a slow dump-in and left it for my d-man who took it end-to-end and scored. I got nothing on the score sheet. I was sad.

Same thing happened to me last night.

It's hard to get mad because in the same game a guy broke his shin (gross) but still, come on refs, help me out here :argh:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I relaced my skates, retaped both of my sticks, and replaced the short nylon laces in my knee pads with skate lace. I've experimented with anchoring the knee pads to my pants, but I think I'll try to get to the rink early tomorrow and play around with the setup more.

I also looked into removing the two knee straps behind the knee lock, but they are sewn in and don't appear to be removeable. I could just cut them, but I'd rather not make any permament changes to my pads. I guess my options are to either loosen those drat things as much as possible or not use the velcro knee strap and tighten those two straps to keep my knees in the knee lock. I wanted to get rid of those straps, because I think they seme pretty useless and I think they are causing my pads to under rotate.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Last Friday I picked up some new Bauer Pro pants so I can finally convert to tucking. Now I see why its nice to have pants that actually fit, Jesus its nice. 6 and 7 hole issues I've had in the past aren't there anymore and its not any more restrictive than untuck. The only difference I really notice is heat which isnt so bad but I definitely drink more water now.

I've got a pair of Medium Vaughn Epic 8800 pants that are in good condition if anyones in the market. I'm not terribly thrilled having paid almost as much for my Thai made Bauers as I did for my Vaughns and Bauers have lower quality fabric. You can see it in the thread count.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I haven't had any problems tucking in my C/A with the Bauer Elite pants. It never worked with my old pants (Itech 11.8), but it feels very natural now. I would say that I feel slightly warmer, but it hasn't been much of an issue. What do you think about the mobility of the pants so far?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 4, 2011

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

I haven't had any problems tucking in my C/A with the Bauer Elite pants. It never worked with my old pants, but it feels very natural now. I would say that I feel slightly warmer, but it hasn't been much of an issue so far. What do you think about the mobility of the pants so far?

Tiny bit of getting used to since the Bauers seem to have an extra layer of foam throughout the pant but otherwise fantastic. I'm moving around just as well with more protection and coverage. If you're in the market for a new pair I'd highly recommend taking a look at them before the Reeboks.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Am I weird for not tucking in my C/A? Also I ordered some 72 inch laces for toe ties. I was using regular length laces after I snapped the set that came with my pads. Pain in the rear end with the longer laces thank God I found the right length.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

coldwind posted:

I start yelling at the scorekeeper as soon as we score when I know I have an assist coming. I want those points dammit! (It's so I'm not the only one on the roster sheet without points.)

Also it's fun to pick out a forward, if I'm lucky, who has been struggling, or only made a couple games and I'm tied/ahead of in points. I gloat like crazy. I'm a terrible teammate.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Surfing Turtle posted:

Am I weird for not tucking in my C/A?

No. Do whatever's comfortable and doesn't get you hurt

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

nahanahs posted:

No. Do whatever's comfortable and doesn't get you hurt

Ok good, cause I like the overlap and the freedom of movement. Plus it lets some air in that baby.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Same here, I don't tuck, just tie it down to the pants, which someone enlightened me to after I got my newest C/A.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Surfing Turtle posted:

Am I weird for not tucking in my C/A?

Not at all, if I could have the 6/7 hole coverage and remain untucked I probably would. As it was for me before i would squeeze my sides quite hard and still having them slip through, now I can just react and they get caught like they should. I had what Vaughn says is 2 sizes too small for me though.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Surfing Turtle posted:

Am I weird for not tucking in my C/A? Also I ordered some 72 inch laces for toe ties. I was using regular length laces after I snapped the set that came with my pads. Pain in the rear end with the longer laces thank God I found the right length.

Nope. I don't tuck it in either. The couple of times I tried it, I felt I lost some mobility which pretty much kills my game. Am I weird for hating toe ties?

Also, I finally took pics of the new stuff after trying it out for the first time last night.

Vaughn V3 7500s
I'm now pretty much black from head to toe. I wasn't sure what wearing NHL-spec gear was going to be like, but I actually like the 11" wide pads a lot more. I don't feel as clumsy being only 5'9" in 12" wide pads. I'm switching from these things:

CCM Blockades
The move to a hybrid from a butterfly pad went well last night. I'm loving the +1 thigh rise that I don't have in my CCMs and the two breaks work better for my style (or lack thereof). The glove is also more of a catching glove and sits flush with the ice on a cover, which is more my style. I rigged up the thigh boards last night to at least hold the pads closer to my knees as they were way too loose without the knee cradles.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
I love the all black set up. When I have the money to get new stuff I'm definitely doing a similar style, except hopefully with a more obnoxious color like the DP camo pads.

I was chatting with a buddy at drop in yesterday about the size of equipment and was thinking of doing an extensive post on the matter for news/views. I've made a few posts in the past about things such as thigh rise, but just to clearly state my position, I think this is how goalie equipment should look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UumpTDdwHJg. With modern technology we can go back to something like this with negligible change in protection and it would make goaltending fun to watch again.

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004
Whats the point of wearing knee pads again? If you already have your goalie pads, and the pads from the goalie pants coming down...

Went to my second beginners clinic last night and decided to stick around for the pick up, got 3 periods rotating with another goalie for 2 games. People were starting to call me the heart attack kid, for some reason im very aggressive and if the puck is along the boards i will move out to play it, which i sometimes miss and then fall over and leave an open net :[ So much fun though. Really want to buy my own gear but its starting to slow down at work and so is teh cash flowz.

They also do something really weird, its beginnier pick up, but every "penalty" results in a penalty shot, even if its a high stick at center ice/rink. So it was fun to do break away shots and stuff, and I was 3/3 :smug:

polydizzle fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 4, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

polydizzle posted:

Whats the point of wearing knee pads again? If you already have your goalie pads, and the pads from the goalie pants coming down...
Because there's still a space usually that's open to either getting a puck to the top/sides of the knee or hitting the thigh.

Example: My second game in my new Vaughn's my team gives up it's 3rd breakaway of the night, I come out to cut the angle and my D is hustling back trying to stop him. He ends up diving forward trying to poke-check the puck off his stick. He does succeed in doing that, but he also succeeds in somehow getting his skate right inbetween my knee cradle and the thigh protection that came on the pads.

I ended up with a pretty cut up knee and couldn't play goal for about a month and a half.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

polydizzle posted:

Went to my second beginners clinic last night and decided to stick around for the pick up, got 3 periods rotating with another goalie for 2 games. People were starting to call me the heart attack kid, for some reason im very aggressive and if the puck is along the boards i will move out to play it, which i sometimes miss and then fall over and leave an open net :[ So much fun though. Really want to buy my own gear but its starting to slow down at work and so is teh cash flowz.

They also do something really weird, its beginnier pick up, but every "penalty" results in a penalty shot, even if its a high stick at center ice/rink. So it was fun to do break away shots and stuff, and I was 3/3 :smug:

Breakaways/Penalty Shots at the beginner level are fun. I usually charge out of my crease as soon as they touch the puck. If their head is down, I go for the pokecheck.

If you're not wearing knee pads or thigh boards, be ready for a shot to hit right above your knee and oh will it hurt. I like them also for just a bit more of a pad on the landing gear. My knees aren't in the best of shape so every little bit counts.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

polydizzle posted:

Not all goalie pants have those pads that come down. Knee pads are mostly for the area just above your knee that isn't covered if you don't have that padding provided by anything else (thigh wraps, thigh boards, thigh pads from goalie pants).

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004

Bradf0rd posted:

Breakaways/Penalty Shots at the beginner level are fun. I usually charge out of my crease as soon as they touch the puck. If their head is down, I go for the pokecheck.

If you're not wearing knee pads or thigh boards, be ready for a shot to hit right above your knee and oh will it hurt. I like them also for just a bit more of a pad on the landing gear. My knees aren't in the best of shape so every little bit counts.

I did this each time, i dont think they were expecting it, I went all the way out to the hash marks lol.

The pads I was using had an extra pair at the top that were flapping all over the place, but they overlapped my goalie pants pads, Im assuming they are the thigh boards? I actually tucked them UNDER my goalie pants as so I had full protection. Normal? Dumb?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

Not at all, it really depends on the gear you have and what feels comfortable to you.

polydizzle posted:

Went to my second beginners clinic last night and decided to stick around for the pick up, got 3 periods rotating with another goalie for 2 games. People were starting to call me the heart attack kid, for some reason im very aggressive and if the puck is along the boards i will move out to play it, which i sometimes miss and then fall over and leave an open net :[ Some much fun though. Really want to buy my own gear but its starting to slow down at work and so is teh cash flowz.

Extra knee protection for when you are in the butterfly, the puck can find a gap and hit your knee and it's possible for your knee to slide out of the craddle and be exposed. I wouldn't say wearing knee pads is 100% necessary, but a lot of us are more comfortable knowing that we have an extra layer of protection.

In my case, I have seperate knee pads and thigh guards. My knee pads don't stay in place, so I kept the thigh guards on, but the thigh guards still leave parts of my knees exposed, so I wear knee pads as well. Depending on your pads, you can get away without knee protection or minimal knee protection, but I could just never get used to leaving my knees exposed. I'd probably be fine with less protection, but I have some family members with bad knees so I get freaked out easily about anything relating to knee injuries or potential knee injuries,

Aniki fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I got caught in that gap when I first started playing net. I didn't think putting on my knee pads or leaving the thigh boards on were a big deal. That thing hurt. So now with my crappy set I wear knee pads and I put thigh boards back on my other set I used for indoor roller. My ice set (Simmons) has an attached thigh wrap.

• Locked thread