Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

AtomicManiac posted:

Yea, I've always used light trails for heavier bands, I feel like sometimes static shots at higher speeds don't give off the same energy. In addition, I like the way slower shutter speeds let in a lot of ambient light, its a neat look that kind of separates it from the typical concert shot, both professional and amateur.

And yea for a full-frame I'd probably use like 24mm. Someday I want to simplify my rig down to just a 5D and a 24-70 2.8L, a handful of flashes and triggers and then just rent everything else. Though that's probably at least a year off.
uhhh... dragging the shutter pretty much defines the style of almost every amateur event photographer. And if you want something wide and fast you might as well get the 24mm 1.4 since it's only a few hundred more than the 24-70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

TheLastManStanding posted:

uhhh... dragging the shutter pretty much defines the style of almost every amateur event photographer. And if you want something wide and fast you might as well get the 24mm 1.4 since it's only a few hundred more than the 24-70.

Exactly. Much easier than doing it right, with the right gear.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Taking static shots of heavy bands just looks weird to me compared to dragging the shutter.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Avoid making your shots look so static then!!

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

AtomicManiac posted:

Taking static shots of heavy bands just looks weird to me compared to dragging the shutter.

Static shots with flash look horrible.
Static shots using only ambient is the bread and butter of every good concert photographer out there.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Cyberbob posted:

Static shots with flash look horrible.
Static shots using only ambient is the bread and butter of every good concert photographer out there.

I have no problem with Ambient light shots. I've done them (and still do them):

I just feel like that shot does not represent this band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMZ6AL8pZ6g

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

AtomicManiac posted:

in agreement with you on this one...

95% of the time I do available light with f/1.4 primes but for heavier bands I always feel more drawn to light-trail photos as I feel they capture the energy of the bands much better.

Occasionally you'll get lucky and the band will have their own great lighting and you'll be able to capture that energy w/out but it's really hard to bank on that.

for example, the arctic monkeys had plenty of great lighting and I got lucky with timing for their strobes a few times here...

20090918-MFNW09_Fri_Arctic_087

20090918-MFNW09_Fri_Arctic_106

but then for another song you would have no idea that this photo...

20090918-MFNW09_Fri_Arctic_001

came during a song that sounded like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30w8DyEJ__0

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Short answer: shoot more interesting bands.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

I'm not saying this because I don't like you, but saying "I have no problem with ambient light" and then posting that photo doesn't really prove your point. Maybe that photo doesn't represent that band, but its not a great photo either way.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

I'm not saying this because I don't like you, but saying "I have no problem with ambient light" and then posting that photo doesn't really prove your point. Maybe that photo doesn't represent that band, but its not a great photo either way.

Yea it's an older shot from when I was starting, but it's one of the few things I have rolling around my flickr account. I don't do that weird angle thing anymore.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

Yea it's an older shot from when I was starting, but it's one of the few things I have rolling around my flickr account. I don't do that weird angle thing anymore.

April 9, 2010 10:06:31.42PM (timezone is GMT - 6 hours)
(8 months, 24 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes, 47 seconds ago)

That really was back in the day.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

April 9, 2010 10:06:31.42PM (timezone is GMT - 6 hours)
(8 months, 24 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes, 47 seconds ago)

That really was back in the day.

Do me a favor, find me a picture you took 4 months into photography. Find another one 8 months later and tell me there isn't a significant improvement.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

Do me a favor, find me a picture you took 4 months into photography. Find another one 8 months later and tell me there isn't a significant improvement.

This isn't about me. I make my living as a photographer, and I have for five years. I was just saying, if you are going to make such a bold statement, like you have figured out ambient light, you should probably pick a photo that demonstrates that. Not one that you will have to back peddle your way out of.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If you're observant to the performance and the lighting, with a little luck and good timing, you can take some great shots of heavy bands with ambient light and still capture the energy.

That said, some bands are just boring to watch and are equally boring when photographed.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 5, 2011

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Boy I can't wait for another argument where AtomicManiac comes and relates everything to how he's only be doing it for a year but he knows best and Bojanglesworth comes through and says nothing but shut the gently caress up. Jesus christ you guys

it's fesitval time yaaaay

e: AMBIENT LIGHT

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 6, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

Boy I can't wait for another argument where AtomicManiac comes and relates everything to how he's only be doing it for a year but he knows best and Bojanglesworth comes through and says nothing but shut the gently caress up. Jesus christ you guys

it's fesitval time yaaaay

e: AMBIENT LIGHT

I love you too. Seriously though, I am getting tired of proving him wrong and telling him to shut the gently caress up. I don't think I am (too far) out of line when I tell him to shut the gently caress up, surely I am not the only one who is tired of his incessant babbling.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Bojanglesworth posted:

I love you too. Seriously though, I am getting tired of proving him wrong and telling him to shut the gently caress up. I don't think I am (too far) out of line when I tell him to shut the gently caress up, surely I am not the only one who is tired of his incessant babbling.

Not disagreeing with you, it's just predictable :)

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Bunch of local guys covered Abbey Road

Great Jazz in a dive bar

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

ZoCrowes posted:

:smug:

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Prisoners of War by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

Quick group shot of a local hardcore band after a show.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So that's what happened to Jimbo Jones.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

HPL posted:

So that's what happened to Jimbo Jones.

HA!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

AtomicManiac posted:

Prisoners of War by Ben Semisch, on Flickr

Quick group shot of a local hardcore band after a show.

lol@ dude on right looking tough while dude on left is smirking like a goomba.

widerruflich
May 6, 2007
...we accept the inevitable
I was at a gig to support the local indie rock scene on Monday. This band was last to play, and were the best by far (IMO).

The original colours are the usual red and green and extremely grainy due to the 3200 ISO. I spent some time in LR editing it 'till I liked it. Do you think this bw is over-processed?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Anyone know if Kool Haus in Toronto allows photography? It looks like a relatively larger venue than I'm used to and I never know how these things work.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

widerruflich posted:

I was at a gig to support the local indie rock scene on Monday. This band was last to play, and were the best by far (IMO).

The original colours are the usual red and green and extremely grainy due to the 3200 ISO. I spent some time in LR editing it 'till I liked it. Do you think this bw is over-processed?

I think the contrast is a bit much for my personal tastes, but I've seen plenty of images that are about that contrast-y, so you're not really alone in that style.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

aliencowboy posted:

Anyone know if Kool Haus in Toronto allows photography? It looks like a relatively larger venue than I'm used to and I never know how these things work.

A lot of it depends on the company promoting whatever show is happening that night. Live Nation and House of Blues need you to go through the proper channels. If it's a show with all smaller local bands, you can usually just ask the promoter directly. Another way is to just bring your camera anyway and see if they care. The worst that can happen is that you'll have to check it at coat check or go back to your car and put it in the trunk.

The times that's it's good to have to go through the hassle of the proper channels are when it's a big show and there's a photo pit at the front of the stage so you don't have to fight the hordes for decent photos and you've got a team of security looking after you.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HPL posted:

A lot of it depends on the company promoting whatever show is happening that night. Live Nation and House of Blues need you to go through the proper channels. If it's a show with all smaller local bands, you can usually just ask the promoter directly. Another way is to just bring your camera anyway and see if they care. The worst that can happen is that you'll have to check it at coat check or go back to your car and put it in the trunk.

The times that's it's good to have to go through the hassle of the proper channels are when it's a big show and there's a photo pit at the front of the stage so you don't have to fight the hordes for decent photos and you've got a team of security looking after you.

Thanks for the info. It appears to be promoted by Union Events. I can't find anything on their site, I'll probably just e-mail them closer to the event. It's out of town and I don't want to bring my camera if I'm not going to need it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

aliencowboy posted:

Thanks for the info. It appears to be promoted by Union Events. I can't find anything on their site, I'll probably just e-mail them closer to the event. It's out of town and I don't want to bring my camera if I'm not going to need it.

If it's out of town because it's an act that isn't playing in your town, you might prove useful for a local music paper which would make applying for a media pass a lot easier. In any case, it's better to get on it sooner than later.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

aliencowboy posted:

In my experience, it comes right down to the band themselves, unless you have a connection to the promoter. The venue unfortunately doesn't know until the night of, when the tour bus rolls in. (I've tried contacting many Toronto venues).

It helped me to ask around on Facebook and Last.FM events. I once had the band themselves respond to me on Facebook and tell me to go ahead. That accidentally lead to a promoter connection for later shows.

edit:

That was Chapterhouse. (Shoegaze legends)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markosaar/sets/72157624992404075/

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 8, 2011

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
The second day of the previously posted festival. Downsized due to weather, just took the 5D Mark 2 and the Sigma 50mm 1.4. Brilliant lens.

Children Collide

The Living End

Joan Jett

Klaxons

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Shot The National today in Sydney. I've never had trouble taking my camera into this particular venue (Enmore Theatre) but today security stopped me and told me I couldn't take it in. I went to another door and showed them my ticket for the other door and said I just wanted to pop in and buy a t-shirt from this area. They let me through, I got my t-shirt and met up with my friends. Still had to shoot from 7-8 rows back in the middle of the crowd, but whatchagonnado. All being said, I loving love the reach of the f/1.8 85mm on a crop sensor (7D).

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

psylent posted:

Shot The National today in Sydney. I've never had trouble taking my camera into this particular venue (Enmore Theatre) but today security stopped me and told me I couldn't take it in. I went to another door and showed them my ticket for the other door and said I just wanted to pop in and buy a t-shirt from this area. They let me through, I got my t-shirt and met up with my friends. Still had to shoot from 7-8 rows back in the middle of the crowd, but whatchagonnado. All being said, I loving love the reach of the f/1.8 85mm on a crop sensor (7D).

Great shots :)

I shot some reportage at a festival at the start of the year.

Neon Indian

Rapture

Klaxon's Roadie

Random

Peaches

Sleigh Bells

Erol Alkan

Someone

Xavier [Justice]

Gaspard [Justice]

Justice.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Already Bored posted:

Xavier [Justice]

This is awesome, how'd you come to setting/pose?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Been a while since I posted in here but I did see the who flash and shutter drag debate. I almost always use flash but I don't usually drag the shutter unless it's with "metal" bands like this rather extreme example:

IMG_4929 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Though usually my stuff with flash looks like this (Defeater for example)

IMG_2788 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This is awesome, how'd you come to setting/pose?

Walked into the artist compound at the start of the day and saw the giant tree. I knew I wanted to use it.

The pose...I don't know. It just came about :)

Brodieanalog
Apr 16, 2007
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

I guess the Devil wouldn't have you by Back to You Photography, on Flickr

My door is locked, My Debts are Paid. I'll Do the Chicago Promenade by Back to You Photography, on Flickr

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Got a pretty sweet Jump shot last weekend.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Saw an 80s cover band last night, starting to feel old. It's been a while since I've shot a show, but I spent most of the time dancing.

delorians-0219 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

delorians-0125 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Sometimes mic stands are there just to annoy me.

delorians-0253 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Bonnaroo Press pass lined up from a major music blog/site. Freaking awesome. Anyone else going?