Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.
I applied to a ton of detroit firms. Haven't even been afforded a paper rejection. They've literally just ignored me. Maybe that will make you feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JudicialRestraints posted:

I applied to a ton of detroit firms. Haven't even been afforded a paper rejection. They've literally just ignored me. Maybe that will make you feel better.
There are no jobs in Detroit. Legal or otherwise.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
I got a paper rejection almost 2 months after my Detroit callback (and six weeks after I told them I would be "pursuing other opportunities.")

As an aside, I know a few people who had similar experiences in other rust belt markets (Ohio, Pittsburgh).

Napoleon I fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 4, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

JudicialRestraints posted:

They see you major in CLS and they fear you.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

federal employee holocaust

Yeah I'm wondering about this. I have a federal position this coming summer and they historically give permanent offers at the end of the summer. But, a federal hiring freeze or something similar seems possible as the Republicans seek to eliminate GOVERNMENT WASTE like myself. This is making me pretty nervous.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://www.cnbc.com/id/40863598

quote:

The ABA is now making the case to persuade college students not to go to law school.

The American Bar Association has officially issued a warning on its website.

According to the association, over the past 25 years law school tuition has consistently risen two times faster than inflation.

The average private law student borrows about $92,500 for law school, while law students who attend public schools take out loans for $71,400. These numbers do not include any debt law students may still have from their time as undergraduates.

Before the recession, the ABA cites statistics that show an average starting salary for an associate of a large law firm of about $160,000 a year. But by 2009, about 42 percent of graduates began with an annual salary of less than $65,000.

And those are just the newbies.

Flanagan & Einwohner partner Stewart Einwohner says he has been getting resumes for pro bono work from experienced lawyers.

"Some of the resumes that have come across my desk are from attorneys who have good skills and impressive work histories, and they are offering to work for free. Rather than sit at home with no salary and nothing to do, many of these attorneys are offering to work for free in exchange for something to put on their resumes. Their strategy is to keep their resumes fresh with the hopes of finding something long term," said Einwohner.

The ABA is also warning of endowment losses, declining state support, and difficulties in fundraising that have hit law schools hard. It expects most public schools to raise tuition this year by 10 to 25 percent.

Tens of thousands of dollars in debt — and a shiny degree: But, at the end of the day, getting a job in law could be a cold case in 2011.

Joanna Slusarz, a third year law student at the Rutgers School of Law — Newark, does not have undergraduate loans.

Slusarz's law school tuition costs $25,000 a year. Even though she lives at home to keep living expenses manageable, Slusarz calculates she'll owe more than $75,000 when she's done.

"I started in 2008. We didn't really hear about law firms firing people. Everything started happening, really, the second half of that year. Offers started getting rescinded for summer associates," said Slusarz.

http://www.abanet.org/lsd/legaled/value.pdf

ahahahahaa

Petey fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 4, 2011

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

GamingHyena posted:

There was one job out there, and I have it. I just accepted my job offer today! :wotwot:

Unfortunately I'm home sick with the flu, and just had two NyQuil inspired nightmares about whether or not I'd get the job when I was woken up by my phone ringing. In my stupor I almost asked my new boss "are you real this time?" but luckily thought better of it. Considering I'm the only person at my current job who practices a particular area of law my boss doesn't really understand, I can't wait to see what his reaction will be when I give my two weeks notice.

I now join the ranks of the hated public servants. Keep paying your taxes boys, I need to retire by 40 assuming they don't eliminate the position 2 weeks and a day from now.

Got a call from my headhunter this morning - I got the job at that other firm. Now I have my current job, and an option for a new job. All of the jobs will be mine!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

NJ Deac posted:

Got a call from my headhunter this morning - I got the job at that other firm. Now I have my current job, and an option for a new job. All of the jobs will be mine!

Mods ban this troll tia

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

In other news, the ABA has accredited six new law schools, where tuition will average $35,000 per year. The average LSAT score accepted amongst these new law schools will be 145.

California also proudly announced that the prestigious Southern California Blind Baptist College for Amputees Law School will be opening. It's the top Regionally Non-Accredited blind-only law school!

NJ Deac posted:

I just got cold called by a guy in town here who apparently likes the sound of my voice over the phone. I told him I wouldn't be available until labor day and he said "poo poo." :(

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lol

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

BigHead posted:

In other news, the ABA has accredited six new law schools, where tuition will average $35,000 per year. The average LSAT score accepted amongst these new law schools will be 145.

California also proudly announced that the prestigious Southern California Blind Baptist College for Amputees Law School will be opening. It's the top Regionally Non-Accredited blind-only law school!

These are jokes right

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Direwolf posted:

These are jokes right

Yes. Also, if there actually is a Southern California Blind Baptist College for Amputees, that would be awesome and I would definitely apply despite neither being blind nor baptist nor an amputee nor southern nor Californian.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Look at the conclusion of that ABA paper:

quote:

All law school applicants should have a clear picture of the debt that they will incur and the expected earning power of graduates from the schools to which they are applying. If their expected salary cannot easily support their expected debt, students should look for other options to cut back on expenses while in law school. Options include attending a local law school and living at home, going to a public school where one can get in-state tuition, enrolling in a part time program and continuing to work, or carefully controlling costs while in law school. If students do not consider the financial implications of their decision to attend law school, they may find themselves facing debt levels that they cannot support. With careful planning, however, everyone who wants to attend law school should be capable of doing so. A prospective law student should thus weigh her options carefully before choosing where to go to law school.

Way to sit on that fence, ABA...

Every special snowflake who reads that paragraph is going to think "With careful planning, I should be able to succeed at law school because I can just go to a local law school rather than that T14 I've been eyeing." Jesus christ.

Edit: And how many strong public law schools are there? UVa? Univ. of Michigan?

Edit2: And what the hell does "carefully controlling costs while in law school" mean? Don't buy casebooks? How about, don't go to law school? That's the easiest way to control law school costs.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

"Carefully control costs" means don't spend large amounts of money on items that won't offer you a good return, duh.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
And good public law schools aren't even that cheap.

In state tuition at UVA law is $42,500, which is a $5000 discount from the $47,000 out-of-state tuition, which isn't much different than their private school competition.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

that's 'cause UVA is just barely a public school, and actually gets more funding from private sources than from the commonwealth

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Kase Im Licht posted:

And good public law schools aren't even that cheap.

In state tuition at UVA law is $42,500, which is a $5000 discount from the $47,000 out-of-state tuition, which isn't much different than their private school competition.

Yeah it's the same story at Berkeley. During some forum a couple months ago our Dean talked about the finance model the school works out of now and said we're basically public in name only these days. And like UVA the private sources grossly outnumber public ones.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

BigHead posted:

I just got cold called by a guy in town here who apparently likes the sound of my voice over the phone. I told him I wouldn't be available until labor day and he said "poo poo." :(

Only headhunter call I received since starting my current gig in September was for a job that I had already interviewed for and been dinged by during the summer while I was unemployed.

Jobs for those who have jobs already.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Hey, don't worry guys, legal services firms are the second-most profitable businesses to start! If you somehow are unable to get even one of the plentiful backup $80k/year, 40-hour/week federal jobs, you'll be totally fine just starting your own shop. Maybe you should go to law school after all!

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/17/small-business-sageworks-ent-fin-cx_mf_0118mostprofitable_slide_3.html?thisSpeed=undefined

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I would like to publicly shame Captain Scraps for standing me up tonight.

Marmadukakis
Jun 1, 2010

by T. Finn
Just tell Captain Scraps "Wiener Panties."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I would like to publicly shame Captain Scraps for standing me up tonight.

I deserve it. Deepest apologies, weird day.

But that's not standing up, that's flaking.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 6, 2011

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Hey, don't worry guys, legal services firms are the second-most profitable businesses to start! If you somehow are unable to get even one of the plentiful backup $80k/year, 40-hour/week federal jobs, you'll be totally fine just starting your own shop. Maybe you should go to law school after all!

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/17/small-business-sageworks-ent-fin-cx_mf_0118mostprofitable_slide_3.html?thisSpeed=undefined

This is awesome! Glad things are finally turning around in this market.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Colorblind Pilot posted:

This is awesome! Glad things are finally turning around in this market.

Such low overhead too! Just a secretary and some office space! And $1200/mo in debt payments and insurance and westlaw and oh wait there are no clients. But wait, all your marketing is done by word of mouth! Hooray!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The oil business is great! Oil sells really well and everyone needs oil! That's why oil execs are all rich! Oil is our pick as top profitable start up.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

Yes to both. By the way, it is not magically easier to get a small firm job, either. I have spent 12 years in a small firm in the midwest, and recent law grads are beating down our doors. We haven't hired an associate in 5 years.

Oh god. I used to work at a small/mid-sized firm, and we were hiring a new associate. When word got out, every secretary had a family member and every associate had a friend who would be "perfect for the position." I managed to see some of the many, many resumes that came in through the mail, and some had really sad stories - mostly all a variation of "unemployed for 1-3 years, licensed for 10+" not to mention the recent grads. We finally hired one, and he became the guy doing all the dirty work no one wants; a paralegal who could also go to court appearances no one wants to go to!

I used to think I wanted to go to law school, but the only advice I could get was: don't. The hours suck, which most of the time the pay does not scale to. It affects your personality. You're never not working, even at home. You get crushed by debt for years.

But hey! You get an office with a window, and a secretary (who secretly thinks your inept, and is tired of mothering you).

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

I deserve it. Deepest apologies, weird day.

But that's not standing up, that's flaking.

SHAME

no biggie :)

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Are there any particular law school scam blogs that are considered the leaders/the most updated etc/ that some gentleman could link me to

Google produces mixed results

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Lemonus posted:

Are there any particular law school scam blogs that are considered the leaders/the most updated etc/ that some gentleman could link me to

http://killallthelawyers.ws/blog/

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
For anyone want wants to ~*~Help The Poor~*~, I recommend you read this 34 page opinion. If reading this 34 page snooze fest makes your Panda Vajayjay wetter than the Nile, then I recommend you go to law school. However, if you are normal and it makes you bored, then I recommend you go into some other profession because goddamn that case is literally Mardi Gras for people who want to ~*~Help The Poor~*~.

Cops stealing homeless people's tents is literally as exciting as it gets in public interest law.

Edit: hey apparently "url" has an r in it.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 6, 2011

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704723104576062173458318658.html

Yeah rankings of jobs are very subjective and whatever formula they used is probably stupid but:

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Lemonus posted:

One of the most popular is Third Tier Reality. His blog roll links to quite a few others that are updated on a daily basis.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tetrix posted:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704723104576062173458318658.html

Yeah rankings of jobs are very subjective and whatever formula they used is probably stupid but:

I briefly looked through that article, and the rankings don't seem to quite match your picture. For example, Tax Examiner is ranked in the mid-40s, and attorney is ranked at 82 - but then, I may not have had the list ranked the same way, not sure how that works.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
AHAHAHAH I GOT SEC WHOOOOOOOOO

Of course my friend had to be a total buzzkill and ask if summer = job offer later, to which I could only respond, "I hope so," but we'll see!

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

billion dollar bitch posted:

Of course my friend had to be a total buzzkill and ask if summer = job offer later, to which I could only respond, "I hope so," but we'll see!

have fun managing the cam newton thing; i do not envy u

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

billion dollar bitch posted:

roll tide

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
So not like I was going to get it anyways but if I haven't sent out summer applications yet I'm pretty much hosed, right?

Or do I still have some sort of slim chance?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Green Crayons posted:

So not like I was going to get it anyways but if I haven't sent out summer applications yet I'm pretty much hosed, right?

For anything good, yes. The good stuff is gone at the end of OCI. Ask your career services for options related to clerking for a judge or DA/PD.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Green Crayons posted:

Yep now you have to act like you are excited about public service otherwise you're not going to have any funding this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
I have a federal subject matter jurisdiction question that's probably pretty easy, but I feel like contributing fodder for the thread, and bonus points because 1ls probably know this better than I do.

Diversity jurisdiction, question is about amount in controversy: If you have a complaint that asks for $74,999 and attorney fees/costs and prejudgment interest, does that satisfy the $75,000 "face of the complaint" requirement? Seems like it should, but the actual damages are still under the magic number.

EDIT: found this one if anyone cares: If the plaintiff may recover attorney fees by statute or contract, the attorney-fee claim may be included in determining the amount in controversy, regardless of whether a fee award is mandatory or discretionary. Lowdermilk v. United States Bank Nat’l Assoc., 479 F3d 994, 1000 (9th Cir 2007).

Alternatively: complaint for $74k (no attorney fees, clearly not meeting the requirement) filed in state court and removed to federal court by defendant, who adds in counterclaims for $74k on partially related issues i.e. related to the same contract but alleging additional facts that give rise to their damages.

Does the answer + counterclaim operate as the "face of the complaint" and if so, does that add the values together or can the original plaintiff move to dismiss remand for lack of jurisdiction?

mushi fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 7, 2011