Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Helios127 posted:

Quick question.

Upgrading PC. Should I install 32 or 64 bit? My computer is capable of both.

Unless you're running less than 3 GB of RAM (you shouldn't) go with x64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Captain Novolin posted:

Agreed. The times have changed, 64bit is supported by most everything current and there's no reason not to.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Helios127 posted:

Quick question.

Upgrading PC. Should I install 32 or 64 bit? My computer is capable of both.
Unless you are too dumb to select x64 on driver pages (or are building it for somebody else who may be that dumb), 64-bit is the way to go.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

What AutoCAD, RAM eating world do you live in where under 3 gigs is terrible?

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

revolther posted:

What AutoCAD, RAM eating world do you live in where under 3 gigs is terrible?
Probably the same world where the cost of 4gigs is almost nothing.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
64 bit. If your computer can do both, why limit yourself to 32 bit?

Warkak
Dec 21, 2010

Cheesefoot-
Don't kink shame
Is there any reason not to buy this version from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Home-Premium-System-Builder/dp/B002NGJO4M/ref=sr_1_3?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1294084724&sr=1-3

*Do they only offer downloads, I'm using it for a future pc build and wouldn't have any previous os installed.

Warkak fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 3, 2011

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

If you or someone you know has a .edu e-mail address, you can get 7 Professional for $65 at theultimatesteal.com. Otherwise, the system builder versions are fine.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Toast Museum posted:

If you or someone you know has a .edu e-mail address, you can get 7 Professional for $65 at theultimatesteal.com. Otherwise, the system builder versions are fine.

As an aside, you can also get a free year of Amazon Prime with a .edu email too.

Warkak
Dec 21, 2010

Cheesefoot-
Don't kink shame

big mean giraffe posted:

As an aside, you can also get a free year of Amazon Prime with a .edu email too.

I'm actually taking advantage of this already by planning to build a new pc and getting free shipping on all the items I'll be ordering is great.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Is there any way to sysprep then ghost windows 7? I have a build that requires 30 of the exact same machine but I really don't want to take 4 hours a piece throwing the same poo poo on every machine.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I haven't looked into it a ton with 7 specifically, but I'm pretty sure OPK is exactly for this? http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/downloads/Pages/windows_7_opk.aspx#dl_docs_demos

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The problem is I don't have the OPK and I don't have a MS system builder account to download it from their site. However, I did find another way to do the same thing. I found sysprep in windows 7 is hidden conveniently in c:\windows\system32\sysprep. And I'm using a free program called Macrium Reflect that's getting the job done perfectly.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
How do I get Windows to stop opening my .m4a files with windows media player? I've done the obvious "always open with Winamp" dance, but it doesn't seem to want to stick :(

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Treytor posted:

How do I get Windows to stop opening my .m4a files with windows media player? I've done the obvious "always open with Winamp" dance, but it doesn't seem to want to stick :(

Three choices:
1) Right click on an .m4a > Open With > Choose Default Program > Select Winamp and make sure that "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" is checked

2) Open Winamp as an administrator (right click, open as administrator), then check the "always open with Winamp". This will be remembered in the future, even when you open it normally

3) Go to "Default Programs" in the control panel (or just type programs in the start menu search) and the click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program", select .m4a, click change program and select Winamp.

Any of the three should work fine.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Yeah, that's the thing I have done all that obvious stuff. It even lists Winamp under Default Programs in the control panel like I'd expect, but it's still using WMP to open the files when I double click on them...

Helios127
Nov 9, 2010

by T. Finn
Okay, one more question (although its amoot point since I have windows 7 installed already)

Does it REALLY matter what edition of windows 7 I have on? I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. I have one for Pro, but they didnt give me a cd key for it. How nice.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Helios127 posted:

Okay, one more question (although its amoot point since I have windows 7 installed already)

Does it REALLY matter what edition of windows 7 I have on? I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. I have one for Pro, but they didnt give me a cd key for it. How nice.

Unless you plan on joining the computer to a domain (you can't) then not really. Pro also comes with XP mode. Those are the two major differences I can think of.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

rolleyes posted:

Unless you plan on joining the computer to a domain (you can't) then not really. Pro also comes with XP mode. Those are the two major differences I can think of.

Pro can host remote desktop, and Home Premium can't. I guess third-party options make this a minor point, though.

Helios127
Nov 9, 2010

by T. Finn

rolleyes posted:

XP mode sounds handy.

Are there any third party tools to essentially do this?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Helios127 posted:

XP mode sounds handy.

Are there any third party tools to essentially do this?

Tons. Virtual Box, VMWare, Microsoft's own Virtual PC

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

Toast Museum posted:

Pro can host remote desktop, and Home Premium can't. I guess third-party options make this a minor point, though.

It is pretty easy to patch Home to allow it to host a remote desktop session. See http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/79427/393664.aspx

Also allows you to have concurrent RDP sessions, and to enable remote login for accounts with no password (not that I can see why you would want to do that).

Helios127
Nov 9, 2010

by T. Finn
Alright Thanks guys.

Gotta hate that feeling of buyers remorse, huh?

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
So, this might be way too vague for a simple fix, but I'll give it a shot anyway. Bear with me. My computer died about four months ago - mobo was five years old, PSU was failing and case was falling apart - and sat because I was going overseas and didn't have the money to spend to fix it up. Today I went out and bought a new.. well, everything, except for a videocard (ancient 7800GT) and a HDD I got last year. Put it all together, no dramas, boots up straight into my old installation of Windows XP.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. I bought Windows7 Professional pretty cheap while the computer was dead and (obviously) couldn't install it until now, but I did use the disc to install a copy of Win7 on my cousin's laptop. I pop the disc in with XP running and get an error message about the installation disc not being compatible, to install a new version of Windows just reboot, yadda yadda, fair enough.

So I reboot and, with disc in tray, it skips straight past any sort of prompt to boot from disc and goes straight back into XP. Got into BIOS, changed the boot order to run from CD first, got the prompt to boot from CDROM, disc spins for about three minutes then pops up with "BOOTMGR is missing. Can't boot from CD."

Following the next obvious step, I put my XP disc back in and ran the recovery tool and did a "FIXBOOT" or whatever it is, rebooted again and tried to run off the Win7 disc, it spins for three or four minutes and now gives me "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

Now I'm stumped. Could this be the old install of XP loving with me? I'm leaning towards the Win7 disc being defective, but I already used it to install Win7 about a month ago. Any obvious fixes, or is my best bet to format and install fresh or with a new copy of Win7? Will installing fresh be a problem when I brought the 'upgrade from XP' version of Win7?

Thanks in advance. Apologies for the wall of text.

boy undead fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 5, 2011

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Just download a Windows 7 image to usb drive and try again

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Factor Mystic posted:

Just download a Windows 7 image to usb drive and try again

I'm trying this next. I think the major problem might be in trying to install Win7 64 from XP 32, but that doesn't explain how I wasn't able to install from a freshly formatted drive. I guess it's a combination of 64/32bit compatibility and a lovely disc.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

angrynaut posted:

I'm trying this next. I think the major problem might be in trying to install Win7 64 from XP 32, but that doesn't explain how I wasn't able to install from a freshly formatted drive. I guess it's a combination of 64/32bit compatibility and a lovely disc.

If yu are booting from the DVD, it doesn't matter what version is already installed - you are bypassing that original installation and running straight off the disc.

I'd agree with Factor Mystic, you've got a damaged DVD.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does anyone have an idea why Windows 7 is shuffling the drive order each reboot? It messes up my VM fileserver setup each reboot.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it possible to disable taskbar thumbnail preview? It gets annoying because I don't ever use the preview. Googling it seems to show that there is no solution to it.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Is it possible to disable taskbar thumbnail preview? It gets annoying because I don't ever use the preview. Googling it seems to show that there is no solution to it.

7 Taskbar Tweaker

revolther
May 27, 2008
edit: ^^even better.
You could use XDN tweaker to change the mouse over time necessary to five seconds so you'd have to hover quite a bit for it to kick in.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
e:nvm

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Capt. Morgan posted:

7 Taskbar Tweaker
This works great, thanks :)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm having a hell of a time transferring files from my local machine to a 2008 R2 machine via the network. I drag and drop, and then the copying dialog creates a few files, then hangs on "calculating." I've let it go, and it will stay that way for days at a time (even if I click cancel, it then has to calculate how long it will take to cancel). I can't get it to go away unless I log out and log in again. Any idea what's causing this?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm having a hell of a time transferring files from my local machine to a 2008 R2 machine via the network. I drag and drop, and then the copying dialog creates a few files, then hangs on "calculating." I've let it go, and it will stay that way for days at a time (even if I click cancel, it then has to calculate how long it will take to cancel). I can't get it to go away unless I log out and log in again. Any idea what's causing this?

sounds like your network is not working right, look at NIC drivers, Ethernet cards, and then your switch

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Recently I've deleted everything on my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7 and everything else. Since then, my computer is being really weird about connecting to the web. I posted this question on the hardware thread with no help, and it probably isn't a hardware problem (I hope) since this issue has only existed after I reinstalled Windows (and probably changed some setting?).

When the computer comes on from being shut down or asleep, it will say no internet access. If I remove and reinsert the ethernet cable, ta-da, it works. The problem is I have to remove and reinsert the cable every time the computer comes on, otherwise it does not connect online. And to make things more incovenient, I have to disconnect the cable from the computer itself because the problem remains if I do it at the router. This never happened before and it's quite annoying. Using Verizon Fios for an ISP. Any ideas?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Rekkit posted:

Connectivity issue.

Have you gone into the power options and disabled any power management that may be affecting your NIC, as well as gone into Device Manager and disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under Network Adapter?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Rekkit posted:

Recently I've deleted everything on my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7 and everything else. Since then, my computer is being really weird about connecting to the web. I posted this question on the hardware thread with no help, and it probably isn't a hardware problem (I hope) since this issue has only existed after I reinstalled Windows (and probably changed some setting?).

When the computer comes on from being shut down or asleep, it will say no internet access. If I remove and reinsert the ethernet cable, ta-da, it works. The problem is I have to remove and reinsert the cable every time the computer comes on, otherwise it does not connect online. And to make things more incovenient, I have to disconnect the cable from the computer itself because the problem remains if I do it at the router. This never happened before and it's quite annoying. Using Verizon Fios for an ISP. Any ideas?

Have you installed anything Apple-related? Because this has all the hallmarks of bloody Bonjour loving everything up, which seems to be it's sole purpose on Windows as Apple can't write Windows services to save their lives. Have a look in the services list and if you see Bonjour in there then disable it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rekkit posted:

1: msconfig and disable everything with the word apple on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have my HD in multiple partitions and there's an Explorer shortcut pinned to my taskbar with jumplist shortcuts to the different partitions. However, a few days ago, the jumplist disappeared. I tried recreating the Explorer shortcut and the jumplists still exist for my other pinned shortcuts (Firefox, IE, Chrome). Thoughts?