Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Aw man we had a 70% bonus exp weekend and no one bumped the thread? .. Was a reward for getting 400 likes on shards of dalaya facebook game page or whatever. If we reach 1000 we get a double exp weekend, so you fellahs head over there and get that poo poo hooked up, then come experience the gloriousness of double exp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Goon Squad is picking up quite a bit, so anyone looking to join the goons now is probably a good time to try and get in good with them!

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Especially if you love playing a cleric or shadowknight

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I played the old SoD back when Wiz ran the game around 2006. My character still shows up in Fomelo, and my forums registration still works, but I can't access the game via account management. Is there any way to get this sort of thing worked out, or do I have to restart?

edit: I may somehow have this linked to a defunct email address that I can no longer access :(

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 29, 2010

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Yeah I had the same issue think I sat around in IRC for a gm for about 3 days then they finally told me to email the gm (forget email, but should be on forums and/or webpage) then got account access back not to long after.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Probably going to reinstall this evil game in lieu of a job at the moment. SoD gave me my first SA probation for saying "Going to get in on this as Slippers," way, way back in the day. So this time, I'm going to go ahead and not say that. But I will be in on this again. I'll make a cleric just for whoever wants to team up with me. In the game as Erinesu. I also have a level 65 chanter and druid but I'm rusty so I figure I'll just learn the ropes again.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

wtsnaename posted:

Probably going to reinstall this evil game in lieu of a job at the moment. SoD gave me my first SA probation for saying "Going to get in on this as Slippers," way, way back in the day. So this time, I'm going to go ahead and not say that. But I will be in on this again. I'll make a cleric just for whoever wants to team up with me. In the game as Erinesu. I also have a level 65 chanter and druid but I'm rusty so I figure I'll just learn the ropes again.

You would be useful at raids as a chanter and druid. If you re-learned how to play them.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Well, they're decently geared and AA'd with no guild, so if you want to send an invite to Llyver or Cixx I'm down. Playing a druid has always been easy and I've always liked the chanter.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there any acceptance for a rogue in the guild? Last time I played I think I had a 40+ rogue. don't play much these days because it gets boring when you level alone :(

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Dizz posted:

Is there any acceptance for a rogue in the guild? Last time I played I think I had a 40+ rogue. don't play much these days because it gets boring when you level alone :(

We'll basically let anyone in the guild, but there's not much you'll be able to do with us until you're 65. We have a few goons that are under that level whom you could probably group with, though. I really recommended to box a priest class or something to compliment your main class when leveling so you don't have to be lfg all of the time.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Null1fy posted:

We'll basically let anyone in the guild, but there's not much you'll be able to do with us until you're 65. We have a few goons that are under that level whom you could probably group with, though. I really recommended to box a priest class or something to compliment your main class when leveling so you don't have to be lfg all of the time.

Although I can do it, I don't think I want to level a priest to 40+ in hopes of levelling my rogue. I've tried it before and got mixed up with me pulling with the priest instead of the other and it got frustrating fast. Honestly I have no problems if I have to lfg but there's those times when things get dull and I just can't dish out the effort.

[Also I want to do a select few adept mobs before I blitz in levels]

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Dizz posted:

Although I can do it, I don't think I want to level a priest to 40+ in hopes of levelling my rogue. I've tried it before and got mixed up with me pulling with the priest instead of the other and it got frustrating fast. Honestly I have no problems if I have to lfg but there's those times when things get dull and I just can't dish out the effort.

[Also I want to do a select few adept mobs before I blitz in levels]

Why not make a mage or necro then? Their pets [usually] draw aggro and there's a goon in game that boxes a new rogue and his old necro and pumps out some serious dps to boot!

Plus they're easy to level.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Null1fy posted:

Why not make a mage or necro then? Their pets [usually] draw aggro and there's a goon in game that boxes a new rogue and his old necro and pumps out some serious dps to boot!

Plus they're easy to level.

Don't like caster types :( I've tried a few casters here and there and I never felt a click to them.

[I have a 60+ Bst that I quit shortly after cause I was getting bored of it. The pet could tear down things 1 by 1 but fighting 2+ things made fights difficult, Also managing my mana to keep it healed safely became an issue too]

e: Also I like to stab things! :ese:

High_Life
Sep 19, 2004

MIND GAMES...
This thread made me nostalgic. I always get the bug to try playing again, but I don't want to start a new character. I feel like I'd have no idea whats going on in the end-game, though it probably wouldn't be hard to figure out.

Some random run moments/stuff I had handy. I have a folder one one of my machines full of old Goon Squad / Ruin moments that I'll wind up going through for a good laugh.

]
Deyranni did not want to dance...so she turned into a large dragon and ate the raid.

Fast-tracked promotion. It was immediately revoked, but I will be remembered as ruling with an iron fist for all of 3 minutes.

I always thought this was one of my finer pieces of work.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I never understood the Mitch Lawrence thing. Anyone care to shed some insight?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
One of our developers had a Mitch Lawrence (an extremely goofy-looking baseball commentator) avatar. Then another dev jokingly impersonated him by getting the same avatar only poorly altered, which led a dev with actual art skills to make a whole slew of mitch lawrence avatars (mine included) and for a while every staffer had one.

In short its a silly little in-joke but it produced some great avatars.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well I started up an Enchanter by the name of Veeno. I'm only level 6, but so far i'm enjoying my time. Kind of cruel of the servers to go down right when i'm heading to BB.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm not sure if I want to level a bard or a mage, both are fun to solo with in their own ways (two-boxing annoys me). Mage seems like its more universally useful and better for dungeon soloing but Bards are awesome for groups.

Choices... :ohdear:

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Stanos posted:

I'm not sure if I want to level a bard or a mage, both are fun to solo with in their own ways (two-boxing annoys me). Mage seems like its more universally useful and better for dungeon soloing but Bards are awesome for groups.

Bards as you said are better for groups and can also solo better in outdoor zones and such with ae and chant kiting.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Stanos posted:

You're dead set on soloing? You know it's legal to two box? Bard AND Mage would be a good team!

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!

DangerDongs posted:

Well I started up an Enchanter by the name of Veeno. I'm only level 6, but so far i'm enjoying my time. Kind of cruel of the servers to go down right when i'm heading to BB.

You don't want to play a chanter.

*They're really nothing more than dps in a group, and only one is really needed in a raid, and only if they have like 150+ aa's even then. Mezzing is kind of one of those "old school" ideas. People just roll through things now. I say this as a very active enchanter, too. If you decide to stick with it, I wish you luck!

wtsnaename fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 5, 2011

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004

Null1fy posted:

You're dead set on soloing? You know it's legal to two box? Bard AND Mage would be a good team!
forgive my ignorance but can pets hold aggro over players in this version of eq? being able to duo a bard/mage makes me want to play some renovated eq1

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Pizer posted:

forgive my ignorance but can pets hold aggro over players in this version of eq? being able to duo a bard/mage makes me want to play some renovated eq1

Probably not at 65. But you could kite poo poo around with the bard and have the mage pet whack it while you nuke it with spells. Bards get some pretty high-powered DoTs and songs [spells, really] that increase spell damage.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Null1fy posted:

I mean I'm not staunchly AGAINST it but I'd rather just play one character instead of having to tab back and forth and do things. If I had two computers it'd be a different story but having to tab through windows is kind of annoying to me. :|

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Stanos posted:

I mean I'm not staunchly AGAINST it but I'd rather just play one character instead of having to tab back and forth and do things. If I had two computers it'd be a different story but having to tab through windows is kind of annoying to me. :|

Then it's up to you. Bards can take a hit and melee, but do sustained dots but no burst/aoe damage. Mages can't take a hit, but have big nasty pets for them, and do awesome-high burst/aoe damage.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wtsnaename posted:

You don't want to play a chanter.

*They're really nothing more than dps in a group, and only one is really needed in a raid, and only if they have like 150+ aa's even then. Mezzing is kind of one of those "old school" ideas. People just roll through things now. I say this as a very active enchanter, too. If you decide to stick with it, I wish you luck!

Well that is lame; this is kind of putting me off from the game if everything can just be rolled over.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

DangerDongs posted:

Well that is lame; this is kind of putting me off from the game if everything can just be rolled over.

That's not necessarily true (the "rolling through stuff"); it's more a function of "how geared your tank/healer is" and "what you're fighting". There is a contingent of highly-tiered people who blow through things left and right and can tank a lot of monsters, but if you're doing stuff that's close to your gear stuff mezzing still helps a lot.

You don't really see a lot of need when people are just grinding since people are kinda lazy and want to go for semi-effort; but there's need for crowd control when you're doing some of the harder group quests/etc.

People do want enchanters but usually like one per raid, they're not super high regarded v:shobon:v

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future
This thread is kind of lacking in screenshots so I thought I would post a few highlights from the old days. This one I meant to post a long time ago but got lazy. It's one of the first guild group kills we made back when we were getting on our feet:

These are from Wiz was changing my surname to make fun of my really long name:

One day in Athica there was some really unusual weather:

Meyers was a big stickler for looting your corpses after a wipe but I caught him once:

Talez is really well endowed:

I had a lot of fun back in the old days. I think a lot of people have moved on as I have, but it's still a great server and there are still some great people playing.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
It really depends on group make up for if an enchanter will be mezzing or not. If your in a group with a paladin (who has amazing AoE aggro) it may be better to just have them tank and kill as quickly as possible. This almost always only works in pure exp groups though - if you start to go for gear or tomes or anything in a 6 man setting enchanter mez begins to look mighty fine.

Combine that with all the abilities Enchanters get in SoD that they lacked in live and you really do have a powerful character. I honestly think that Enchanters are the most under appreciated class in the game - but that is mostly because they only recently were buffed up to where they are and a lot of people are still following the old paradigm.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
After talking to my brother I decided to go as a Bard seeing as how the can mez and do so much more. Plus I like hitting things.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Been having a good time in Goon Squad as a SK / Cleric combo. Also received a lot of help lately from various goons in the form of items, advice, and quest help (Thanks Nega, Brannigan, and co.). So what I'm saying is, come play this game with us!

Also, Bandwidth Wagon, that UI is drool inducing compared to the default, what is it named and/or where can I get it?

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

It's called Vert Cannabis and has a special version for SOD you can find here.

cowalker
Oct 15, 2004

Locked in perpetual motion

cccchecking in saying i still play this lovely game and have actually beaten on of the harder fights in it. Server rules and keeps gettin better.

what up merona long time no see.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

crotchduster posted:

Server rules and keeps gettin better.

For a second I thought you said: "Server rules keep getting better" to which I'd not entirely agree with, haha.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I started playing again and man this is as fun as I remembered.

Got from 40-45 in like four hours in an awesome robots group. It is pretty easy to get levels because of the way grouping xp works out. Now just gotta get some better gear :P

Bridge Keeper
Jul 1, 2007

by T. Finn
Man, I love the idea of Shards and I have tried to get into it multiple times. But a big part of the draw for me is dual boxing and that poo poo just does not work. Need to zone? One, if not both of your clients will crash. Need to log in? Spend 20 minutes logging in each character separately through the draconian login screen or your client(s) will crash.

I understand that it's a free server and I love what you guys are doing. I just don't like getting punched in the dick every time I try to log in/zone. I could play a single char but then I feel like I'm getting screwed out of half my xp.

Anyway, much love, you guys are doing a WAY better job than Sony ever did.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
To be fair, the last couple days on the East Coast have been lovely for some reason. It's getting better. Some route location in Canada is ruining everything.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Dual box a fair bit and crashes when zoning both characters at same time and such though not entirely uncommon, doesn't happen frequently enough to put a large hinderance on exping raiding and such. Can be annoying if a client crashes multiple time but after it's resolved I'm usually good and you don't have to zone too much once you get exp moving along.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I never ever crash when zoning and logging in doesn't take any longer then it would to normally log in with two accounts. I just run the patcher twice and load EQW twice and log in like normal. Maybe its a problem on your end, it works perfectly fine for me with Vista.

That said, hitting 44 with my shaman was so awesome. I love my new healing spell :3:

Plus I got a new ice DD spell so I celebrated by running around Upper Meilech (formally upper guk) and one shotting everything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

Bridge Keeper posted:

Man, I love the idea of Shards and I have tried to get into it multiple times. But a big part of the draw for me is dual boxing and that poo poo just does not work. Need to zone? One, if not both of your clients will crash. Need to log in? Spend 20 minutes logging in each character separately through the draconian login screen or your client(s) will crash.

I understand that it's a free server and I love what you guys are doing. I just don't like getting punched in the dick every time I try to log in/zone. I could play a single char but then I feel like I'm getting screwed out of half my xp.

Anyway, much love, you guys are doing a WAY better job than Sony ever did.

I played SOD for years, dual-boxing, and never had problems to this degree. I got disconnected from the server and had login troubles occasionally, but no more often than what i've experienced playing WoW on official servers. EQ can be a temperamental beast, but i've found most issues are client rather than server side. EQ just doesn't seem to like some hardware setups for some reason.

• Locked thread