Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Efilnikufesin posted:

Unless Annie has no biological father, then it wouldn't really matter.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Tom has confirmed in numerous places that Surma was her biological mother and Anthony was her biological father and they had her in the usual way.

So...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

Guava posted:

So...

Whelp guess I'm wrong.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Jones does NOT give a poo poo about this.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Pretty sure she could gently caress poo poo up pretty bad if she wanted. Why else would she always remain calm and cool.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

I am waiting for Jones to show surprise and the impact that will have on posts here.

Hell, to show any expression. It will happen once just to show that poo poo is in fact going down and I will love this comic ever the more for it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Ka0 posted:

Pretty sure she could gently caress poo poo up pretty bad if she wanted. Why else would she always remain calm and cool.

Yeah. Remember, we have seen her put her hand straight through a stone wall and get hit by a sword without getting hurt and disarm the person who hit her.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Crazy theory time post. I'm letting my speculation run wild, so whatever happens, happens.

So, we know Surma was human, and Anthony was human (and presumably still is), and they had Annie in 'the usual way'. We also know that having Annie was a death sentence for Surma, and that any child Annie has will kill her just as assuredly (and presumably in the same way). We also know that Surma did not have the same effect on her mother.

So, now I have questions:

Did Surma know, before getting pregnant, that this would be the result, or did something happen at that time to create this outcome after she conceived (some sort of external effect).

If she did know, what was her motivation for getting pregnant. She could have waited, spending more of her time with Anthony, or simply chosen not to have a child. What motivated her to select this course of action if she knew the outcome in advance.

If this condition is now inheritable, but didn't previously exist in the family line, can it be fixed so children can once again be had without consequences. (Is this what Anthony was attempting?)

In the more macabre line, would an abortion have saved Surma, or would Annie's death, even at that point, have killed her as well.

So, quite a mess. I think it was a spiritual/magical effect (The court would call it etheric). Surma, with high spirit potential, would be particularly vulnerable to this type of thing. It was probably something she picked up before conceiving, but didn't understand what the result would be until after. Likely, she realized the consequences the moment she did conceive, and an abortion wouldn't have helped, killing her anyway. Anthony felt he could intervene, but failed. Every time he saw Annie, his failure was stood there and looked him in the face, leading to a very mixed bag of feelings.

I don't know enough about Anthony to know if he can overcome his grief and love Annie freely, but given that Annie seems to display a good deal of his 'silent type' personality and the consequences for her of that, I'm leaning toward not. Annie might have a happy ending, but I don't think Anthony will, though he may have a redemption ending.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm surprised that, given the fact that Surma didn't kill her mother by being born, no one is considering that Anthony is the culprit here.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Brannock posted:

I'm surprised that, given the fact that Surma didn't kill her mother by being born, no one is considering that Anthony is the culprit here.

That's because both Renard and Coyote tell Annie that the fire in her belonged to her mother and I doubt they're gonna pop up and say "Whoops poo poo did I say mother because I totally meant father my bad" in the next comic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, 'steals the soul of the mother when born' could well be passed down from Anthony.

That said, it seems unlikely as a theory.

EDIT:

That said.... have we seen Surma show any profound etheric ability? IIRC, Anthony helped build the etheric computer-thingie that constrains Reynardine, so he is certainly capable.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 5, 2011

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

So, we know Surma was human,

Do we?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Fangz posted:

That said.... have we seen Surma show any profound etheric ability?

Surma was a medium. So, yes.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Also she can fly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I guess flying is indeed pretty awesome.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Brannock posted:

Do we know that Surma didn't kill her mother...?

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Brannock posted:

Do we know that Surma's mother didn't die?

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends
Do we know anything?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Annie owes her very existence to some ancient guy who was willing to burn his dick in order to get his swerve on.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Prettiest. Motherfucking. Comic.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Ragnar34 posted:

Prettiest. Motherfucking. Comic.

This. Even apart from the obvious second panel, the last panel, with Annie and Coyote, is so well done. Love it.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Annie owes her very existence to some ancient guy who was willing to burn his dick in order to get his swerve on.

Humans. We will have sex with anything.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

EoRaptor posted:

So, quite a mess. I think it was a spiritual/magical effect (The court would call it etheric). Surma, with high spirit potential, would be particularly vulnerable to this type of thing. It was probably something she picked up before conceiving, but didn't understand what the result would be until after. Likely, she realized the consequences the moment she did conceive, and an abortion wouldn't have helped, killing her anyway. Anthony felt he could intervene, but failed. Every time he saw Annie, his failure was stood there and looked him in the face, leading to a very mixed bag of feelings.

I suspect they both knew what would happen under normal circumstances, but Anthony and Surma believed they'd found a cure up until some point after Annie was born. It merely delayed the onset of symptoms for a few years, resulting in Anthony racing desperately to fix the cure, and blaming himself for the failure, as above.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

So... Captain Kirk, then?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Thought someone might want this.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The subculture known as "flamies" was the target of much scorn and derision on the early Ethericnet...

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Am I a bad person for immediately thinking of this :nws:Oglaf:nws: after reading Coyote's line?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

McGravin posted:

Do we know that Surma's mother didn't die?

I guess I was concluding from an answer Tom gave on his formspring, that Surma's mother wasn't important to the story and didn't suffer any of the same problems.

Given this latest comic, maybe both parents are to blame. Anthony and Surma are descended from the original fire/man pair, and while neither bloodline had the issue, the combined bloodlines did.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Or it could be that Surma got it from her DAD, and HE died from having a child. :geno:

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Surma's mom died in the same way Surma died, but it's really not important to the plot, and not worth fixating on.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Now you're going to get a hundred "did Surma's mum have a best friend like Kat?" questions.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
In a stunning twist, everyone but annie and her mom is a vampire, and the whole thing is a cover up for the fact that she's the only viable source of blood in the world.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tea-san posted:

Surma's mom died in the same way Surma died, but it's really not important to the plot, and not worth fixating on.

Okay, now I'm a lot less confused.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
I wonder how/if humans being represented by an eye symbol and Jones's title "Wandering Eye" are connected.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

The 19th Person posted:

I wonder how/if humans being represented by an eye symbol and Jones's title "Wandering Eye" are connected.

There is also this. Looking at that image, there appears to be a parallel between the symbolic eyes under the humans and the one which I can only assume represents their creator.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

The 19th Person posted:

She's one of Coyote's eyes that he dropped while juggling that decided to go off and be a blonde lady

such things happen

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Dammit Who? posted:

She's one of Coyote's eyes that he dropped while juggling that decided to go off and be a blonde lady

such things happen

Ever since I was a young eyeball I dreamed about going off and being a blonde lady.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I guess it is unusual for the Wandering Eye not to have seen something. Significant wordings...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If no one's grabbed it, I've had Slender Man there long enough. Any suggestions for what I should put as the text?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't mean to step all over Gravitas Shortfall's toes, but I made you a more cleaned up version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It looks a little off - here's my try at it

edit: oh hey would you look at that :v: I like Macaluso's version.