Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like there's a new version of Amon Ra for the Evo. 2.1.1. There are a bunch of changes, but what people are probably going to care most about are that it supports the new partition layout for people with new phones/bootloaders and that you don't have to have zip files in the root of your SD card any more. You can actually flash them from subdirectories.

Speaking of recoveries, a warning to those with old partition Evos, do NOT update Clockwork as prompted by ROM Manager. The 3.x versions have problems with the old partition layout. Keep using 2.whatever or Amon Ra until it's fixed. If you have updated, the simplest "fix" is to use ROM Manager to flash Amon Ra.

The most common issue is an inability to restore backups, some entirely lose the ability to flash anything, and apparently it is theoretically possible (though no reports yet exist) for the mismatch to kill your WiMax RSA keys.

edit: Update, according to Koush the reason for ROM flash failures is that the scripting language used for these was changed long ago by Google but both him and Amon Ra kept support for both languages. Clockwork was updated to the Gingerbread recovery code for the 3.x versions, so any ROM using the old scripting language is no good. From the posts in the thread on XDA, it seems that the majority of non-Cyanogen ROMs are still using the old one and will not be able to be flashed on Clockwork 3.x until they are updated.

There is also a new 2.6 revision of Clockwork which apparently supports both partition types, backs up WiMax, and supports both script types. Koush still says a 3.x revision (or assumedly any other Gingerbread-derived recovery) may be mandatory for CM7 final.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
I am attempting to install android 2.2 on a Samsung Galaxy S stock - now Kies doesnt seem to want to allow me to update (it recognises the device, but won't show an update available, even when un-rooted). The phone is currently rooted and I have a titanium backup set up for all apps and system files.

I have two questions.

1. Is it feasible to restore factory settings on the phone, then see if the Froyo update is available on Kies?

2. If this is possible, will a titanium restore work to restore all the useful stuff on the new Froyo handset?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

b0nes posted:

That's what i did originally. It just hung on the boot screen. I remember back in the day when I did it on my G1, you guys wou,d say you have to wipe so I figured that is what i missed. It won't go into recovery mode anymore.

Most likely what happened is you flashed a rom that had a custom kernel, then flashed another rom that didn't have a custom kernel and it wasn't compatible, resulting in being stuck at the Vibrant screen. Nandroid does not backup the kernel so when you restore a backup you are still dealing with the custom kernel.

You have two options. One is to try flashing a stock kernel either through clockwork or odin. Option two is to flash a stock Odin rom via download mode (if your phone was in debug mode when it is connected in recovery mode type adb reboot download).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Pennant posted:

I am attempting to install android 2.2 on a Samsung Galaxy S stock - now Kies doesnt seem to want to allow me to update (it recognises the device, but won't show an update available, even when un-rooted). The phone is currently rooted and I have a titanium backup set up for all apps and system files.

I have two questions.

1. Is it feasible to restore factory settings on the phone, then see if the Froyo update is available on Kies?

2. If this is possible, will a titanium restore work to restore all the useful stuff on the new Froyo handset?

Wasn't the update pulled due to bricked phones?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Pennant posted:

I have two questions.

Titanium Backup needs root. So you could factory reset, Froyo update, re-root, then restore apps + data (but not system data) and you should be fine, yes.

Assuming the Froyo update works and it's possible to root 2.2 - not up on Galaxy S stuff.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

wolrah posted:

Speaking of recoveries, a warning to those with old partition Evos, do NOT update Clockwork as prompted by ROM Manager. The 3.x versions have problems with the old partition layout. Keep using 2.whatever or Amon Ra until it's fixed. If you have updated, the simplest "fix" is to use ROM Manager to flash Amon Ra.

The most common issue is an inability to restore backups, some entirely lose the ability to flash anything, and apparently it is theoretically possible (though no reports yet exist) for the mismatch to kill your WiMax RSA keys.

edit: Update, according to Koush the reason for ROM flash failures is that the scripting language used for these was changed long ago by Google but both him and Amon Ra kept support for both languages. Clockwork was updated to the Gingerbread recovery code for the 3.x versions, so any ROM using the old scripting language is no good. From the posts in the thread on XDA, it seems that the majority of non-Cyanogen ROMs are still using the old one and will not be able to be flashed on Clockwork 3.x until they are updated.

There is also a new 2.6 revision of Clockwork which apparently supports both partition types, backs up WiMax, and supports both script types. Koush still says a 3.x revision (or assumedly any other Gingerbread-derived recovery) may be mandatory for CM7 final.

Amend (Android scripting for Recovery) support was removed. I am looking into process of manually updating the ZIP files here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=898289
If anyone can help me learn, i'd appreciate it.

Also, Unrevoked has been updated to support the newest HTC EVO 4G & Incredible devices.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

wolrah posted:

I'm not really sure what any of this means, but I do know that I haven't been *able* to boot into Clockwork Recovery on my Evo in ages. Any time I try, it just goes to the white screen where you can select reboot and whatever. If I want to get into recovery, I've had no choice but to use Ra. It's been like that for months for me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I just put a newer version of a ROM on my X (rubiX 1.9.5) and it's great, but the option on the stock messaging application is gone from the previous version. I pulled the apk for the old one out of the old ROM, but the installation fails. When I try to install through ADB, I get Failure [INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES] so I'm guessing the package isn't signed or something. What the hell do I need to do?

edit: I can Google
When replacing system applications, you can do
adb push xxx.apk /system/app

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 3, 2011

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Just rooted and Nandroided G2/Desire Z. Didn't run an OTA on it yet as I am fairly new on how to do this. Considering I ran the rage exploit on the ship phone without any updates, how will I fare with say CM6.1.1? Should I OTA and then root again, only to go CM6.1.1 after? I have ClockworkMod already installed.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ilifin posted:

Just rooted and Nandroided G2/Desire Z. Didn't run an OTA on it yet as I am fairly new on how to do this. Considering I ran the rage exploit on the ship phone without any updates, how will I fare with say CM6.1.1? Should I OTA and then root again, only to go CM6.1.1 after? I have ClockworkMod already installed.
Rage works to root, but run gfree to set s-off, and unlock your sim while you're at it. It's much simpler than the rage method, and all you really need to do is adb push a file and run a couple simple commands.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=855764

Don't take any OTA updates, just flash CM.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Civil posted:

So no radio updates? Just flashed 6.1.1-vision from ROM Manager and the little guy is spinning up right now.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Zero VGS posted:

Woo OK, I sat down and trudged through that stuttering dudes's videos. I'm posting from a Barnacle tether on my laptop. Not bad for a $25 a month plan. For anyone else on Virgin Mobile's "Beyond Talk Plan" with an Intercept, follow this Youtube to the letter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=statBon1mqE

Now then, can anyone recommend me a rom for general better performance, simpler UI? What are the good ones? I'll be damned if I'm going to let any non-goon internet recommend me one.

I'm repeating Zero VGS's request from a few pages ago for a good Samsung Intercept rom. Anyone? My girlfriend is interested in this. I just rooted my Sprint HTC Hero, and the improvement has been DRASTIC. I wish Cyanogenmod 6.1 was available on the Intercept.

Scrubed
Oct 3, 2002

I am a Romosexual.

Secret Sweater posted:

May I ask what you were using that allowed you to narrow it down to a specific car?

GPS will get you within 20 feet. App will set the phone to maximum volume... Send the sms to max out your volume then start calling it.

Once I knew what car it was I went in an politely asked the hostess if she knew who's car that was, when she said she did, I told her there was stolen property in it and she had about 10 minutes before the police showed up to aid in the recovery.

Binary
May 21, 2004

Civil posted:

You may want to go ahead and do gfree (you can do it after a visionary root) - in addition to permaroot/s-off, it will also sim unlock your phone. Very simple stuff.

I ran the installer for the Android SDK so I can do adb and it tells me it can't find the Java SE JDK despite having installed it and rebooting. Then I tried putting the gfree file on the sdcard and moving it to /data/local in terminal (under su) and I get a cross device error.

The XDA thread says to do this:

su
cd /data/local
chmod 777 gfree
./gfree -f
sync

Does the gfree file have to be in /data/local or can I run those commands with the file on the SD card?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

EVO with CM6
How do I change the text color/background there? It's too dark.

edit: disregard, rebooted my phone and that seemed to fix it :psyduck:

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 4, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Those of you with a rooted Nook Color should probably disable the applications that try to access phone stuff in order to save battery. From ADB shell or a terminal emulator:
code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system
rm /system/app/Mms.apk
rm /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
rm /system/app/Phone.apk
reboot

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Already did. It was much faster to just go in with Root Explorer.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I just got a G1, rooted it and installed the latest Cyanogen build but now I think it's stuck in an infinite loop on the Cyanogen loading screen. Some say to let it do its thing for as long as necessary and others say to wipe and reflash...what should I do?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I just got a G1, rooted it and installed the latest Cyanogen build but now I think it's stuck in an infinite loop on the Cyanogen loading screen. Some say to let it do its thing for as long as necessary and others say to wipe and reflash...what should I do?

You didn't wipe.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I didn't wipe something or I shouldn't wipe?

e: nevermind, did a factory wipe, reinstalled radio, dangerspl and the rom and it works

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 4, 2011

Buh
May 17, 2008
I've got a rooted Samsung Galaxy S and Froyo is available to me officially.
Assume I am totally retarded at everything. Which action will result in the least chance of my loving up?

Unroot, and update officially through Kies?
Download Froyo from some shady internet site and install it in recovery mode?

The only thing I've used root for so far is to remove bloatware.
How easy is it to flash back to default firmware if I gently caress something up?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Since you've already got root, just wait a few hours and someone will have the update hacked for root users. Someone will put out the OTA updated just enough to be able to apply it.
Run your nandroid before the update of course.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Civil posted:

Rage works to root, but run gfree to set s-off, and unlock your sim while you're at it. It's much simpler than the rage method, and all you really need to do is adb push a file and run a couple simple commands.

Are you loving serious? gfree will unlock your phone? Wish I knew that before I paid $25 bucks to get an unlock code :argh:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I had been having issues with my orientation detection in maps & browser with my N1 using CM 6.1.1 (I don't know when it first started) and tried the built in factory restore with no luck. Long story short, I finally get the waybill for FedEx but was able to fix the issue by installing FRG33 then going back to FRG83(D).

So currently I have FRG83D on my N1 w/ root but I I am running into issues with app memory. I tried installing the applications I had under CM 6.1.1 (not including the packaged apps) and I don't have nearly as much room. I know that there is a way to reallocate more memory to app storage for the N1/Desire, but I didn't specifically do it (I am assuming CM doesn't do it by default either). I also did not (as far as I remember) force any apps onto the MicroSD card which were not able to be moved via the normal process in Froyo.

Any ideas why I seem to have less app memory using the stock rom vs CM?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I had been having issues with my orientation detection in maps & browser with my N1 using CM 6.1.1 (I don't know when it first started) and tried the built in factory restore with no luck. Long story short, I finally get the waybill for FedEx but was able to fix the issue by installing FRG33 then going back to FRG83(D).

So currently I have FRG83D on my N1 w/ root but I I am running into issues with app memory. I tried installing the applications I had under CM 6.1.1 (not including the packaged apps) and I don't have nearly as much room. I know that there is a way to reallocate more memory to app storage for the N1/Desire, but I didn't specifically do it (I am assuming CM doesn't do it by default either). I also did not (as far as I remember) force any apps onto the MicroSD card which were not able to be moved via the normal process in Froyo.

CM allows you to move any app onto SD, regardless of the built in setting, so it's possible you moved some over without knowing they weren't allowed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

CM6 just does this. I want to say it's like 191MB on CM6 versus 170-something MB on stock. Obviously CM6 does a better job of managing space than stock.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

where do I download an updated market.apk to push to my nookcolor?

I know how to get it on the device, I just don't know where to get the .apk from in the first place. If I pull the one from my Epic, will that work?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Telex posted:

I know how to get it on the device, I just don't know where to get the .apk from in the first place. If I pull the one from my Epic, will that work?

You mean the new blobby green one, right? There's an installation zip floating around called market_2.2.7_signed_12222010.zip which I used to install on my phone. If you open it up, there's a Vending.apk which you can probably just push.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

LastInLine posted:

CM6 just does this. I want to say it's like 191MB on CM6 versus 170-something MB on stock. Obviously CM6 does a better job of managing space than stock.

I need to figure out how to get my battery life on CM closer to that of stock.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You mean the new blobby green one, right? There's an installation zip floating around called market_2.2.7_signed_12222010.zip which I used to install on my phone. If you open it up, there's a Vending.apk which you can probably just push.

Thread for 2.2.7: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=10024525

The APK provided there uses Amend which is no longer supported by Clockwork 3.0.#. I recreated the ZIP to use Edify, here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10337059&postcount=47

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I need to figure out how to get my battery life on CM closer to that of stock.
People always say this (and I don't doubt them) but I get great battery life on CM6, better than stock for sure. I don't even do much to get it either--no SetCPU profiles, no JuiceDefender, nothing. I usually use the most recent Pershoot kernel but given that it's Pershoot's kernel in CM6 that's nothing major changing, just a newer revision.

If I could tell you my secret to it I would but for now I can just say WORKSFORME. v :) v

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

LastInLine posted:

People always say this (and I don't doubt them) but I get great battery life on CM6, better than stock for sure. I don't even do much to get it either--no SetCPU profiles, no JuiceDefender, nothing. I usually use the most recent Pershoot kernel but given that it's Pershoot's kernel in CM6 that's nothing major changing, just a newer revision.

If I could tell you my secret to it I would but for now I can just say WORKSFORME. v :) v

I've seen better battery for a while, but it's up in the air as to why - the only concession I can think of is having Setting Profiles kill WiFi when I'm not at home or actively using it, but I think GPS'ing every 15 minutes makes up for it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Telex posted:

Here's the thread on XDA detailing it. I found I could just put it on my SD card, set /system to RW, and use Astro or Android Mate to install it over the current market.

The new market works really well on such a large screen, but I could see why people with smaller screens wouldn't like it as much.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I just updated the radios on my Evo (not the ROM, just the radios), but now the CPU barely ever stops running at 100%. Can I expect this to go away when I update the ROM, or should I try some other radios? It's running a rooted stock Froyo ROM that came out in September or maybe October, for reference.

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

Munkeymon posted:

I just updated the radios on my Evo (not the ROM, just the radios), but now the CPU barely ever stops running at 100%. Can I expect this to go away when I update the ROM, or should I try some other radios? It's running a rooted stock Froyo ROM that came out in September or maybe October, for reference.

There is something about the newest PRI causing 3.30 and earlier based ROMS to run at 100% cpu. If you update to a 3.70 based ROM or CM, it should go back to normal.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

flickmaker posted:

There is something about the newest PRI causing 3.30 and earlier based ROMS to run at 100% cpu. If you update to a 3.70 based ROM or CM, it should go back to normal.

Cool, I've been meaning to give Fresh and Cyanogen a shot, anyway.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Kazy posted:

Here's the thread on XDA detailing it. I found I could just put it on my SD card, set /system to RW, and use Astro or Android Mate to install it over the current market.

The new market works really well on such a large screen, but I could see why people with smaller screens wouldn't like it as much.

That worked, new market looks great on bigger screens and more importantly allows you to scroll past the initial page where the stock 2.1 market doesn't let to do much at all.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Casao posted:

I've seen better battery for a while, but it's up in the air as to why - the only concession I can think of is having Setting Profiles kill WiFi when I'm not at home or actively using it, but I think GPS'ing every 15 minutes makes up for it.

I used juice defender but it didn't really make a difference.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Got bored and flashed Micromod's Gingerbread ROM for my Nexus One. 2.3 is clearly not perfectly optimized for the hardware, as there are a few places where things look off or slow for no apparent reason, but in general it is a very nice upgrade. My biggest grief was not backing up my apps correctly with AppBrain or Titanium, so the factory wipe meant downloading a lot of stuff over again. On the plus side, the upgrade didn't break any apps that I know of.

Rather than give any pure review of the stock software, I put back in all the widgets and Launcher Pro stuff I was using before on CM6.1. In general, everything works pretty much the same. Scrolling homescreens aren't noticeably faster, but opening the drawer caused some graphical stutter. I set the load time to 10 for that, so there is no longer any animation, and opening the drawer is instant. I feel like the radio is different, and that I'm spending more time on Edge than I used to with whatever radio was packaged with CM6.1.

Mostly, everything just looks better. Menus are more aesthetically pleasing, scrolling there has improved some, and there is added uniformity between apps buttons. Copy and pasting is nice and functional, though it can be a little easy to lose the selection mode.

In short, there aren't really any must-have features in Gingerbread, but if you're bored of what you're running and want to check it out early on the N1, download, wipe, and flash Micromod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Just flashed the latest CM7 R0 (Gingerbread) build to my Incredible. So far it's pretty snappy; seems like it could be a daily driver. Now I've just gotta scour XDA and find the CM6.1 torch.apk...