Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009

adorai posted:

Have you run a scrub yet?

Yes. This error persists after I scrub rpool and attempt to clear all of the error messages it generated (zpool clear iirc).

edit: Let me clarify my question a bit. I basically want to know the best way to either restore/delete the problem file from a snapshot (create a clone of it?), or a way to just delete previous and now corrupted snapshots without accidentally nuking my system data.

These snapshots/clones were created when I used the in-place installer for openindiana, but I assume they aren't of much use now that it's installed and working properly.

tboneDX fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

devilmouse posted:

Rather than deal with the hassle of it, I decided to just slap Solaris Express 11 on it and virtualize from VirtualBox. I don't have to run any Windows stuff thankfully, just a few linux/BSD instance to test stuff for work.
If it's a work box, the stuff on the repository should be enough. If you intend to use it as personal computer, the repo is rather meager. There's random apps like Songbird on it, but not exactly much more. People also don't expect these apps to be maintained anymore, with Oracle at the helm. You'll end up compiling a whole lot of stuff yourself (I don't know, things like MPlayer, MPD and so on). Most applications compile fine unchanged. Only getting GCC 4.5.2 to compile was a pain in the rear end.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

tboneDX posted:

These snapshots/clones were created when I used the in-place installer for openindiana, but I assume they aren't of much use now that it's installed and working properly.
Try using zfs promote on the clone, you can then delete the initial filesystem and then delete the snapshot.

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009

adorai posted:

Try using zfs promote on the clone, you can then delete the initial filesystem and then delete the snapshot.

I believe the clone was automatically promoted, and I was able to figure out a bit more about what the auto update did.

I ran a
code:
pfexec zfs destroy -R rpool/ROOT/opensolaris-3@2010-11-20-23:40:33
and it automatically destroyed the opensolaris-1 clone as well (which is fine).

I'm about 50% into a scrub of rpool now, and it's saying:
code:
errors: Permanent erros have been detected in the following files:

<0x57>:<0x64c49>
I'm guessing the snapshot/clone were deleted properly, but how do I make this go away?

edit: I'll try a `zpool clear` once this scrub finishes.

edit2: Ah, didn't need to, error was fixed when the scrub finished. Yay for working servers!

tboneDX fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 3, 2011

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So, I was hoping to repurpose my old gaming machine as a Solaris/ZFS storage box, but I can't even get it installed. I've tried using the text install CD and the live CD for Solaris 11 Express, and both of them just boot to a blank GRUB menu and sit there.

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

I've redownloaded the ISOs and burned them on different machines, same thing. The discs boot up to the installer fine if I run them in a VM, so I know the media is okay. I've tried just about every combination of BIOS settings I can think of, I've disconnected everything but a single drive, and I'm still getting this. I'm pretty sure the hardware is fine, and if I boot up a GParted live CD I can see the blank drives so I suspect it might be a compatibility issue, but I can't figure out what.

It's a Gigabyte P35 board, Intel Q6600, nVidia 8800GT, and I disabled the onboard realtek NIC in favour of a PCI Intel NIC just to be safe. Am I just out of luck using this box for Solaris? If I am, what's the next best thing for ZFS? I was thinking maybe Ubuntu or something with ZFS-fuse, but I've heard there are performance issues or something about not being able to properly mount it on startup or something.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I can confirm that Ubuntu/ZFS-fuse is slow and has problems mounting and unmounting at boot/shutdown. Nothing that caused data loss, but required an ssh session to start ZFS manually and force the pool to start. The worst part was that the poor performance was partly inconsistent; if I enabled prefetch, I got 80 MB/s writes over samba (4-drive RAIDZ2) but reads from 90 MB down to 500 KB/s. If I disabled prefetch, reads were a stable 70-110 MB/s but writes dropped to about 10 MB/s average. Some of this was due to using a small pool and 4k sector drives, but bottom line, zfs-fuse is not quite ready for prime time.

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009

ephori posted:

Am I just out of luck using this box for Solaris? If I am, what's the next best thing for ZFS?

This may be futile, but you can try OpenIndiana:

http://openindiana.org/download/

I initially installed OpenSolaris from a USB drive, so I guess that would take any optical media problems out of the equation. Still, I did make sure to use a vanilla Intel motherboard and the its on-board SATA just to make sure it would work.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ephori posted:

It's a Gigabyte P35 board, Intel Q6600, nVidia 8800GT,

Don't remember if it is the P35 or H55 (I think it's a Hxx), but whatever chipset it is will simply *not* work with OpenSolaris. There's a bug report floating around, and I think it was first mentioned on zfs-discuss, but I'll be damned if I can find it again.

In retrospect, I think it was the H55, because I remember thinking, "whew, I can move my P55 hardware over to my fileserver once I get SNB".

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009

movax posted:

Don't remember if it is the P35 or H55 (I think it's a Hxx), but whatever chipset it is will simply *not* work with OpenSolaris. There's a bug report floating around, and I think it was first mentioned on zfs-discuss, but I'll be damned if I can find it again.

In retrospect, I think it was the H55, because I remember thinking, "whew, I can move my P55 hardware over to my fileserver once I get SNB".

There's a list: http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/os/systems/views/all_motherboards_all_results.mfg.page7.html

I'm guessing this list will apply to the later OI/Solaris 11 builds too.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yeah, H55 just doesn't work. I was in here with that problem earlier. And now I have a new problem which I'm pissing myself with rage over!

My NAS, now running Windows Server 2008 R2, will not shut down. I set a shutdown command over RDP, and it just dicks away unresponsive for hours. I manually power off, and the next time I start, it starts crunching away on all hard disks for 20 hours and then requires another reboot to become responsive. It is not near a monitor so I can't really tell what happens when this is going on. Once I finally can RDP in, it doesn't say what it did during 20 hours of activity on all of its disks. All the system logs tell me is that it didn't shut down cleanly and the graphics driver has been erroring out now and then. loving hell? It's running headless on the on-die Core i3 graphics.

It is almost impossible to find information on how Dynamic Disks RAID 5 (when/how it checks for consistency, how it rebuilds, how long it should take, etc.), as Google just coughs up forum results of people bragging about their new RAID 0 IDE arrays getting 70 MB/s reads because of this exciting new feature in Windows XP Pro.

I'm getting really frustrated here. I built this box a month ago, and I am still trying to get core loving functionality like "Boot" and "Share a folder" working more than 50% of the time. All the software that should work doesn't. I don't want to put more money into this thing for a hardware RAID card or changing the mainboard and processor or any poo poo like that, as my budget on the project is already shot to hell.

Is there any way to get copy-on-write snapshotting without either ZFS or Volume Shadow Copy, specifically under Linux? Solaris won't install because it's an H55 board, Windows Server is dicking me around unacceptably, and I don't know what else to do.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

frogbs posted:

So i'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on the owc enclosure, can anyone offer and thoughts on it or any other owc products?
I've been looking for something similar for ages. I've looked at the ReadyNAS Ultras, the Drobos, and the OWC stuff, and still can't decide. Unfortunately most of the people in this thread go the cheaper route and just build file servers, so there aren't many impressions on consumer/soho-grade NASes. A few in here can speak for Synology and QNAP units, but that seems to be about it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I used to have a Thecus N4100Pro and it served well for what it was while I had it. The CPUs and RAM on these units are pretty laughable for doing any of the media streaming / transcoding crap that they advertise though. I mean, they'll just run some uPnp server that'll be RAM-constrained and it'll probably die on HD media quickly. The firefly daap server that was bundled with it died with no logging or anything to tell me why on my 14,000+ song iTunes library, but I'm pretty sure it's because you can't load it all into 256MB of RAM alongside the software RAID and network stack for two gigabit NICs and the management web application.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

just so I don't misunderstand what I want to do here...

if I buy 4 new disks to replace my 4 WD green bullshit drives, I can just do a zpool replace tank <old_drive> <new_drive> and it'll migrate the data from <old_drive> to <new_drive> and let me pull the old one, rinse and repeat for all 4 drives and I'm good?

I'm having a thing where streaming files from my FreeNAS stutters for no reason. I can get 50MB/s sustained reads, writes are no problem either... but every time I play media straight from the raid it stutters in VLC or XBMC with some regularity.

I'm replacing the switch this week (I need wireless anyway, might as well get a combo for better networking).

If no improvement I'm replacing the NIC in the machine from onboard to an Intel.

If THAT doesn't work, I'm blaming the 4k WD drives and I'll get something else, probably those seagate 5900RPM drives I don't know.

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009

Telex posted:

if I buy 4 new disks to replace my 4 WD green bullshit drives, I can just do a zpool replace tank <old_drive> <new_drive> and it'll migrate the data from <old_drive> to <new_drive> and let me pull the old one, rinse and repeat for all 4 drives and I'm good?

That's basically what I did to replace my broken drive (a WD caviar green 1TB). Just make sure you do it one drive at a time to avoid confusion. Actually, you can physically replace the drive, then run 'zpool replace tank old new' (where new and old are the same because of how they're hooked up). I forget if I brought the faulty drive offline before physically replacing it, that and powering off might be a good idea.

I'm wondering if your stuttering problems are the fault of the drives... Could it just be a decoding issue on the other end? A network issue could do it too.

I'm using a 4x1TB wd caviar green raidz-1 pool, and when my hard drives are all working, I have no problem with data throughput, especially for streaming video.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've been looking for something similar for ages. I've looked at the ReadyNAS Ultras, the Drobos, and the OWC stuff, and still can't decide. Unfortunately most of the people in this thread go the cheaper route and just build file servers, so there aren't many impressions on consumer/soho-grade NASes. A few in here can speak for Synology and QNAP units, but that seems to be about it.

I ended up building my own NAS at work out of an old HP desktop. Its not ideal, but for our purposes at my workplace it is fine. At home however, is a different story. I cant simply repurpose an old Pentium 4 I have lying around, as that will literally double my electric bill. My iMac is already on most of the day, so i'm thinking just adding an external raid enclosure is the most economical choice. That being said, i'm sure that an atom based windows home server or synology box don't use much more power than the OWC 4 bay enclosure.

Decisions, decisions!

I think my plan for the time being is set up my array in a spare computer as a NAS and then migrate it to an external enclosure/turn-key system when I find one that I like.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

At my work we have been using one of these for a year or two, has been rock solid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822102026&Tpk=N4100PRO

We also picked up one of these about a month ago and seems really nice so far (minus first one coming DOA due to poo poo firmware).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107023&Tpk=qnap%20ts-809u-rp

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Moey posted:

At my work we have been using one of these for a year or two, has been rock solid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822102026&Tpk=N4100PRO

We also picked up one of these about a month ago and seems really nice so far (minus first one coming DOA due to poo poo firmware).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107023&Tpk=qnap%20ts-809u-rp

The Thecus 4100Pro is an old model. It's not bad but you can do much better with something from the last year. Faster processors, more RAM, and improvements in firmware have increased performance and features significantly.

The QNAP rack mount TS-809U-RP is very good and current gen, but expensive, and if you're looking at rack mount NAS units you may want to start moving past SOHO solutions and into something from dell/equallogic or one of the other cheap enterprise vendors.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Also, and this really should be edited into the OP, go to Small Net Builder for consumer/SOHO NAS reviews.

They have detailed breakdowns of performance, and they take apart most units to show the inside, the processor, and how easy it is to upgrade RAM.

They also have nice performance charts showing which models will give you the best bang for your buck in terms of network reads/writes.

For example:

File Copy Write Performance
Robocopy - Win7 or Vista SP1

RAID 5 Average Read Performance
iozone

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

tboneDX posted:

I'm wondering if your stuttering problems are the fault of the drives... Could it just be a decoding issue on the other end? A network issue could do it too.

I'm using a 4x1TB wd caviar green raidz-1 pool, and when my hard drives are all working, I have no problem with data throughput, especially for streaming video.

I haven't figured it out yet, I'm trying to troubleshoot the components but I don't have spares of anything around so it's tough.

It happens on every machine though, an XBMC decoder, VLC for me and I think my GF uses Media Player Classic to watch things, maybe PowerDVD. I even get it when I'm doing music with Foobar so it's leading me to believe it's either network or drive related. I have a mixed pool of 1/2 4k drives and 1/2 non-4k drives in two separate raidz1 vdevs right now and I don't know if that's totally optimal anyway and that's one of my projects for the near future the next time I find a sale on any 2TB drives at 70 bucks or so. Then I can toss the WD drives into an eSATA case and use it as an offline backup once a month or so to keep at least most of my stuff safe in case of a catastrophe.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
I have a freebsd zfs share over samba. When i got stuttering in VLC and such i solved it by removing the crap netgear switch the media pc was attached to.

Replaced it with some noname cheapo switch and now streaming is peachy.

Getting windows 7 further improved on that. Cifs in xp just sucks rear end.

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009

conntrack posted:

I have a freebsd zfs share over samba. When i got stuttering in VLC and such i solved it by removing the crap netgear switch the media pc was attached to.

Replaced it with some noname cheapo switch and now streaming is peachy.

Getting windows 7 further improved on that. Cifs in xp just sucks rear end.

Yeah, I'm using the cifs sharing built into openindiana, and most of my computers are windows 7, or running xbmc. I have a netgear gigabit switch to tie everything together.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Telex posted:

I haven't figured it out yet, I'm trying to troubleshoot the components but I don't have spares of anything around so it's tough.

It happens on every machine though, an XBMC decoder, VLC for me and I think my GF uses Media Player Classic to watch things, maybe PowerDVD. I even get it when I'm doing music with Foobar so it's leading me to believe it's either network or drive related. I have a mixed pool of 1/2 4k drives and 1/2 non-4k drives in two separate raidz1 vdevs right now and I don't know if that's totally optimal anyway and that's one of my projects for the near future the next time I find a sale on any 2TB drives at 70 bucks or so. Then I can toss the WD drives into an eSATA case and use it as an offline backup once a month or so to keep at least most of my stuff safe in case of a catastrophe.
It sounds like you may be having network issues relating to your NIC or one or more of your disks are stalling periodically. The NIC on my OpenSolaris NAS goes full retard sometimes and performance drops to 10mbps until I restart the system a couple times. It certainly wouldn't be the first time bad NIC support in a Solaris variant tanked performance.

Also, all the benches I've seen make mixing 4k and 512b sector disks in a zpool on Solaris is the equivalent of giving Hitler the news his daughter's having a baby and the father's Jewish.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Telex posted:

So, had the same thing happen, PCH would stutter files played back from my server (or any network store). Turns out the Belkin gigE switch I put in to replace a dead Netgear was the problem. Put in my little 8-port D-Link and all was well again.

You using Jumbo Frames?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

movax posted:

So, had the same thing happen, PCH would stutter files played back from my server (or any network store). Turns out the Belkin gigE switch I put in to replace a dead Netgear was the problem. Put in my little 8-port D-Link and all was well again.

You using Jumbo Frames?

The jumbo frame thing was an issue (which is why NIC replacement is idea #2) and I couldn't set the jumbo frame higher than 1500 on the FreeNAS machine. Every time I tried to change it would kernel panic so I gave up on that idea.

I still get a good 55MB/s sustained, it's just the streaming files that poo poo the bed.

At any rate, the d-link switch I'm using is getting replaced no matter what this week and maybe it'll fix it. If not, the NIC may need to go.

It shouldn't really matter that I'm using a bunch of 2-port SATA cards for 6/8 of the drives right? I'd like to put them all on one card, but haven't spent the cash for an 8-port internal sata card.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Telex posted:

The jumbo frame thing was an issue (which is why NIC replacement is idea #2) and I couldn't set the jumbo frame higher than 1500 on the FreeNAS machine. Every time I tried to change it would kernel panic so I gave up on that idea.

I still get a good 55MB/s sustained, it's just the streaming files that poo poo the bed.

At any rate, the d-link switch I'm using is getting replaced no matter what this week and maybe it'll fix it. If not, the NIC may need to go.

It shouldn't really matter that I'm using a bunch of 2-port SATA cards for 6/8 of the drives right? I'd like to put them all on one card, but haven't spent the cash for an 8-port internal sata card.

Nope, everything is screaming network issue here. You get good sustained speeds, but streaming fails, your switch, NIC or a combination of the two are just acting goofy as gently caress.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

frogbs posted:

that will literally double my electric bill.

Are you sure about that? I can think of circumstances where this would be the case, but they're definitely outliers.

According to my Kill-A-Watt my Q6600 server with 15 hard drives (not quite that many when I did the measurements I guess...maybe only 10 at that time) uses like 5 to 8 USD a month worth of electricity.

Like I said, you could be right (low energy usage, high energy rates, etc), but just make sure you know what you're talking about.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Just ran across this. If you're like me and rolled your own NAS with the intention of virtualizing additional servers/services on top of it, there's a project called Turnkey Linux that molests Ubuntu into minimal pre-configured servers for specific purposes. They even have a NAS appliance, though it's pretty basic.

Saves a lot of time and messing with VM snapshots, if you ask me.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Thermopyle posted:

Are you sure about that? I can think of circumstances where this would be the case, but they're definitely outliers.

According to my Kill-A-Watt my Q6600 server with 15 hard drives (not quite that many when I did the measurements I guess...maybe only 10 at that time) uses like 5 to 8 USD a month worth of electricity.

Like I said, you could be right (low energy usage, high energy rates, etc), but just make sure you know what you're talking about.

I suppose I could break out the Kill-A-Watt and ballpark it, but doubling wont be far off. My energy usage is extremely minimal as is, so adding a Pentium 4 on all day with a 400w power supply is going to impact that significantly. I'll do a little math and come up with a more concrete figure....

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?
Does anyone have any experience with HP Proliant Microserver?

There's a promotion going on here in the UK at the moment where HP offer £100 cashback, given the box itself costs about £220 this is pretty much an unmissable deal. £120 is a fraction the cost of most equivalent NAS boxes and you get to put your own OS on it and use it as an honest to God server if you want. It's an absolute steal.

My only concern is whether or not it will properly support 3Tb and bigger drives. At first I'll put 4x 1Tb drives in but I'd like the option of replacing these with 3Tb or bigger at a later date. I know this will cause problems if I try to use them as boot drives, but if I stick them in a RAID 5 array with GPT and use another drive to boot from, are there likely to be any issues with that? I'll probably use some flavour of Server 2008 R2 as my OS.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

frogbs posted:

I suppose I could break out the Kill-A-Watt and ballpark it, but doubling wont be far off. My energy usage is extremely minimal as is, so adding a Pentium 4 on all day with a 400w power supply is going to impact that significantly. I'll do a little math and come up with a more concrete figure....

FWIW, the size of your power supply doesn't have anything to do with how much power a system uses. Just because it's 400W doesn't mean it's using 400W of power. It uses only what the system is demanding.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, the size of your power supply doesn't have anything to do with how much power a system uses. Just because it's 400W doesn't mean it's using 400W of power. It uses only what the system is demanding.

I'm aware of this. I did a little research and found that a Synology Ds209 pulls down about 20w with two hard drives at 100% cpu usage. I'd be hard pressed to believe that my old 3.0ghz pentium 4 machine would pull less than that, even when idling.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
If you actually have a kill-a-watt why don't you give us the real numbers instead of pissing about. I'm running a P4 with 8 drives, 2 120mm fans, 3 90mm fans, and assorted CPU fans, usb stuff, etc.

It costs me about $3.25/month if I leave mine running 24/7 with torrents actively using the system drive.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I've finally decided what I want to build after a little research.

I want to build a NAS with a RAID-5 array with 4 or 5 2TB drives to start. From the articles I've read, I'm assuming building my own is really the way to go since it doesn't look that much different from building a PC and I can easily add more space to it in the future.

Only problem is, I don't know exactly what hardware I need or what operating system to use. This article has someone buliding a NAS with an old PIII motherboard, uses a CF 64MB card to boot the system, and uses a hardware system via an Adaptec controller card. He doesn't seem to use an OS at all and just controls the system off of the card.

Yet, this article has a guy using a dual-CPU setup, a SATA controller card, and recommends Knoppix Linux or Red Hat.

Summary: What other hardware should I be looking at for building my RAID server that includes high-quality parts that are reliable, but won't break the bank?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The first one is using FreeNAS for the OS. Don't use FreeNAS with a Windows desktop, it's SMB performance has a relatively high latency, making for agonizingly slow small file performance.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Charles Martel posted:

I've finally decided what I want to build after a little research.

I want to build a NAS with a RAID-5 array with 4 or 5 2TB drives to start. From the articles I've read, I'm assuming building my own is really the way to go since it doesn't look that much different from building a PC and I can easily add more space to it in the future.

Only problem is, I don't know exactly what hardware I need or what operating system to use. This article has someone buliding a NAS with an old PIII motherboard, uses a CF 64MB card to boot the system, and uses a hardware system via an Adaptec controller card. He doesn't seem to use an OS at all and just controls the system off of the card.

Yet, this article has a guy using a dual-CPU setup, a SATA controller card, and recommends Knoppix Linux or Red Hat.

Summary: What other hardware should I be looking at for building my RAID server that includes high-quality parts that are reliable, but won't break the bank?

The first link uses a minimal OS called FreeNAS that is specifically for this purpose. You should check it out.

Well, you're throwing 4-5 2TB drives at it which are each $100ish. So you're 500 deep. $100 will get you a dual core AMD Athlon II x2 3.0 gig and a microatx motherboard with six SATA ports. Add a 1gb or 2gb stick of DDR3, a cheapo PSU and a case and that's $100 more max. Then put FreeNAS on a couple-gig USB stick, boot from that, serve files.

Don't get all thinking that NAS's are firebreathing untrainable dragon devices (that title is left for SANs). At its core the homebrew PC based ones are just A Computer With A Bunch Of Hard Drives And It Runs Some Kind Of OS That Can Make Those Drives Shareable On The LAN. These Synology and Netgear boxes? They're basically just little Linux or whatever computers with a flash chip for their main storage and lots of drive bays and power for those drives. then again my "nas" is a xeon with two REAL raid cards so yuo can take it as high as you want really. There are dudes in YOSPOS shoving ~100TB in a rackmount.

That's your schooling. Now, for your homework, I want you to find out why as a beginner with a possibly limited budget you should NOT select raid5 on 2TB disks.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 8, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I want to idiot-check myself. Does it rhyme with "snore bay hector"/"entranced whore-bat"?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
At long last, my OpenIndiana based file server works properly!

Nothing like NWAM overwriting changes made to nsswitch.conf and a few other files every time the system reboots. Which of course breaks the everliving gently caress out of the kerberos config and the DNS lookups.

In other news: My NAS is now a SAN. I trunked 2 gigabit ethernet cards to my managed switch, and am currently running a 100gb iSCSI share out over it to my regular computer for VMware fuckery.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

That's your schooling. Now, for your homework, I want you to find out why as a beginner with a possibly limited budget you should NOT select raid5 on 2TB disks.

Oh oh oh pick me pick me!

The failure rate on 2TB drives is so high you should go with RAID6? Our storage vendor is recommending RAID6 LUNs for our SANs now

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NeuralSpark posted:

Oh oh oh pick me pick me!

The failure rate on 2TB drives is so high you should go with RAID6? Our storage vendor is recommending RAID6 LUNs for our SANs now

The error rate on the disks is almost as high as the actual number of bits, so you can end up with unrecoverable errors on otherwise perfect disks durring a rebuild.

Also, A big pile of older drives, one goes bad, you start a rebuild, and the thrashing they go through during the rebuild manages to cause another drive to die. Bye bye data!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

If you are archiving digital media such as video and music files, running on zfs, the chances of complete failure with 1 parity disk are pretty low. Your chances of a URE are significantly higher, but zfs will continue to rebuild despite the URE, and you will have an avi with hosed up color for one second. If you have anything truly irreplacable, a single parity disk is probably a bad idea, but the chances of true data loss are still pretty slim.