Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.

Human Tornada posted:

It's funny how on TACS he would talk about how radio people are stupid and greedy.

I was listening to some old Loveline shows (around 1-23-01) and he mentions that the program director told him to not abuse the callers, not to tell stories or go on rants, and told Anderson to cool it with the drops.

Wasn't it pretty much Adam's personality and chemistry with Drew that made the show a huge success?

People who run radio companies/stations are people who couldn't make it as on-air talent.

It's a cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason; it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

I was listening to some old Loveline shows (around 1-23-01) and he mentions that the program director told him to not abuse the callers, not to tell stories or go on rants, and told Anderson to cool it with the drops.

Wasn't it pretty much Adam's personality and chemistry with Drew that made the show a huge success?

Welcome to Radio Management.

e: Dammit

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.

CatchrNdRy posted:

Yes that and the ability to play off callers for wit rather than try to generate it from angry white guy rants.

some more 70s humor from 2002-03-21 Picabo Street who was a pretty good guest...

Impostor and evil twin humor. Someone declares "THIS MAN IS AN IMPOSTOR" tries to rip off a fake mustache in the middle of banquet.

A woman attempts to seduce the main character while he has a gun pointed at her. And he briefly considers it.

Why are you so angsty regarding Adam's late brand of humor? This is like the 3rd post I've noticed from you in that spirit.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Wompa164 posted:

Why are you so angsty regarding Adam's late brand of humor? This is like the 3rd post I've noticed from you in that spirit.

Oh I don't know I'm just idly complaining. and people seem to bring it up frequent enough, I forget that I had whined about it already a few weeks before. I respect Adam immensely, I just find the rants to be the weakest part of his routine. He is capable of so much better...

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I've been listening to some 2003 shows and there is mention of a test Drew administers to the guests. Anyone know what test it is?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

If I remember correctly, it had something to do with his book about narcissistic tendencies in celebrities. It was just a little questionnaire about how they perceived themselves and how they thought others perceived them. At some time during 2003 Adam gets on Drew's case about it being disruptive when they come back from breaks and Drew explains what it is. It's been a while since I heard it, sorry I can't give you a specific date.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

CaptainViolence posted:

If I remember correctly, it had something to do with his book about narcissistic tendencies in celebrities. It was just a little questionnaire about how they perceived themselves and how they thought others perceived them. At some time during 2003 Adam gets on Drew's case about it being disruptive when they come back from breaks and Drew explains what it is. It's been a while since I heard it, sorry I can't give you a specific date.

Robin Quivers got a ludicrously high score and railed against Drew about it on Howard Stern. I suppose that was all the ground work for the "Mirror Effect".

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Dr. Drew's Narcissism Test, http://www.0eb.com/

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Human Tornada posted:

Dr. Drew's Narcissism Test, http://www.0eb.com/

Thanks a lot.

I scored a 1... :effort:

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Caller: My boyfriend never tells me he loves me when I say it to him.

Adam: Get pregnant, then he will love you.

I love Adam's quick sarcastic remarks.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Brekelefuw posted:

Caller: My boyfriend never tells me he loves me when I say it to him.

Adam: Get pregnant, then he will love you.

I love Adam's quick sarcastic remarks.

Would you rather have a corndog or enter a pie-eating contest?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I got a 9 with everything low except self sufficiency. It's pretty obvious which answers you're "supposed" to choose, like it is in all these dumb tests.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Recently purchased Adam's new book and am loving the hell out of it so far (~50 pages in). It's much of the same ranting you know and love him for. If you never enjoyed him in that regard, you'll hate this book.

Surgeon General
May 26, 2004
Delightfully Mad
Is Teresa's book any good?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Surgeon General posted:

Is Teresa's book any good?

Depends. Did you enjoy her constant "my baby" tangents in the podcast?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Sounds like avoiding Teresa's and Adam's books are the way to go.

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
The book is just everything Adam has ever said on the radio in book form. he says he is writing another one. Will it just have rants about how crappy some people are at his live shows and how much of an idiot Donny is? Because its all he rants about now. I think Adam has heard his own rants so many times he now thinks his opinion is fact and is just very pretentious about it.

cricket eater joe
Nov 11, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My 3 year old daughter has been watching The Little Mermaid non stop the past few days, and I keep analyzing Ariel. She's constantly chasing after Prince Eric who is a different species, and in my head I keep hearing Drew say "Why do you have to be with a guy who is COMPLETELY unavailable!"

Then I realize that she is the youngest daughter of a single father with multiple children and I start wondering where her mom is. I've decided that either her mom was a coral addict and bailed on the family once she got a little older and crazier, or Triton is a crazy sex addict and has been nailing every hot piece of tail in the ocean so all his super hot daughters are from different crazy women.

Also, Triton is obviously abusive and controlling. The scene where he blows up her secret treasure room is pretty traumatic, and I'm sure isn't the first time that he's gone all super trident anger on her.

My last thought was wondering how the marriage with Eric is going to end up. He seems like a pretty decent guy and will likely treat Ariel well, which she will then start acting out and driving him away since he doesn't feed into the unavailable man image that she needs. Then I realized that there are Mermaid sequels where she is back in the ocean, so obviously she did do the predictable thing, and pushed him away (probably banged a merman behind his back), and is now looking for the unavailable prick that she predictably needs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

McJuicy posted:

The book is just everything Adam has ever said on the radio in book form. he says he is writing another one. Will it just have rants about how crappy some people are at his live shows and how much of an idiot Donny is? Because its all he rants about now. I think Adam has heard his own rants so many times he now thinks his opinion is fact and is just very pretentious about it.

Ugh, this! Literally no one challenges him on his poo poo, so he assumes he must have "won" the argument. What upsets me the most is that usually-smart people like Bryan (who I still listen to on the Film Vault) and Drew are actually buying into his "liberals need to stop whining and pull themselves up by their bootstraps" horseshit.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

cricket eater joe posted:

My 3 year old daughter has been watching The Little Mermaid non stop the past few days, and I keep analyzing Ariel. She's constantly chasing after Prince Eric who is a different species, and in my head I keep hearing Drew say "Why do you have to be with a guy who is COMPLETELY unavailable!"

Then I realize that she is the youngest daughter of a single father with multiple children and I start wondering where her mom is. I've decided that either her mom was a coral addict and bailed on the family once she got a little older and crazier, or Triton is a crazy sex addict and has been nailing every hot piece of tail in the ocean so all his super hot daughters are from different crazy women.

Also, Triton is obviously abusive and controlling. The scene where he blows up her secret treasure room is pretty traumatic, and I'm sure isn't the first time that he's gone all super trident anger on her.

My last thought was wondering how the marriage with Eric is going to end up. He seems like a pretty decent guy and will likely treat Ariel well, which she will then start acting out and driving him away since he doesn't feed into the unavailable man image that she needs. Then I realized that there are Mermaid sequels where she is back in the ocean, so obviously she did do the predictable thing, and pushed him away (probably banged a merman behind his back), and is now looking for the unavailable prick that she predictably needs.

Slightly off topic, but you're pretty much right on.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

Ugh, this! Literally no one challenges him on his poo poo, so he assumes he must have "won" the argument. What upsets me the most is that usually-smart people like Bryan (who I still listen to on the Film Vault) and Drew are actually buying into his "liberals need to stop whining and pull themselves up by their bootstraps" horseshit.

I can't even really think of anyone actually challenging Carolla on air.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Unless the topic is iPhone cases.

I don't know about the others, 'buying into' his mantra completely, I would bet it has more to do with not wanting to get into a 20 minute shouting match.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

Majorian posted:

But he's right.

I unironically agree with every single one of his political views. Like he says, he just wants someone to do what makes sense.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

Majorian posted:

"liberals need to stop whining and pull themselves up by their bootstraps" horseshit.

Nothing wrong with that, he lived through it himself.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

OnlyJuanMon posted:

But he's right.

I unironically agree with every single one of his political views. Like he says, he just wants someone to do what makes sense.

What makes sense is to appease rich white assholes

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

TomSellek posted:

Nothing wrong with that, he lived through it himself.

So "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" means meeting Jimmy Kimmel and hanging on for dear life?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

TequilaJesus posted:

So "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" means meeting Jimmy Kimmel and hanging on for dear life?

Pretty much, but he's acknowledged that he was lucky. I think a lot of this comes from watching his hippy mom sit on her rear end, content to be on welfare and having a pussy father unwilling to stick up for him.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
The stream had a zoo-o-phile or whatever it's call - a dog fucker - yesterday. Adam had started the show complaining about being hungover, but perked up when this guy called.

I don't know that they ever got to his question, but Producer Ann was pissed at that dude, jumping into the conversation, say she hoped he'd get 'sodomized by an elephant'. Adam kept asking about breeds (If I went dog-gay, (The caller's Akita/Shepherd mix) is what I'd choose.) and whether or not the caller would pay extra to be reamed by Adam's 'virgin' dog. Fantastic call, really got everyone worked up.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Zahgaegun posted:

The stream had a zoo-o-phile or whatever it's call - a dog fucker - yesterday. Adam had started the show complaining about being hungover, but perked up when this guy called.

I don't know that they ever got to his question, but Producer Ann was pissed at that dude, jumping into the conversation, say she hoped he'd get 'sodomized by an elephant'. Adam kept asking about breeds (If I went dog-gay, (The caller's Akita/Shepherd mix) is what I'd choose.) and whether or not the caller would pay extra to be reamed by Adam's 'virgin' dog. Fantastic call, really got everyone worked up.

This call happened either at the beginning of 99 or beginning of 98.
Calls didn't stop coming in about that guy for roughly 6 months.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

radiatinglines posted:

I got a 9 with everything low except self sufficiency. It's pretty obvious which answers you're "supposed" to choose, like it is in all these dumb tests.

It's only obvious because your mind is wired that way. Others would see the opposite as the right choice for them.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.
"It's fingerrrrrrrrrrrrrr, poppinnnnnn' timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

"Chris, what time is it?"
"It's time for break." (people laugh)
"No you idiot, it's finger popping time! Would you pop your god drat fingers..?!"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Zahgaegun posted:

Haha I just listened to a show recently where a guy called in saying he was loving his brothers goat and Ann ripped him apart. I think they were on with that guy for like 30min it was great.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Zahgaegun posted:

Besides Adam making fun of the situation, he was just calling out people on their poo poo because they were saying it was as bad as pedophilia. It was also funny when a woman called in, who was a vegan and attacked Drew because he didn't judge the caller. Unless Drew was on the phone with authorities and making sure the guy was behind bars forever, he was encouraging the behavior. In reality Drew was being observant and also stated that the caller needed psychiatric help. It's always funny when people get offended because Drew and/or Adam aren't going over the deep end about a situation like the offended person is.

McJuicy
May 9, 2008

OnlyJuanMon posted:

But he's right.

Some of his points are valid. Mostly about abortion and helping people with mental issues and birth control. His middle east view points are less then great. And how he thinks he should get so much more from the government just because he is in a higher tax bracket.

Also i like how Adam's podcast is sponsored by a junior college and all he has done for his entire career is call people who go to junior college idiots.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps means going to school, working hard, getting therapy, going to a job you hate every day even if you hate it, don't rely on your friends, and never taking part in any non-state-sanctioned recreational behaviour.

Basically, don't do anything Adam did. Just do what he yells at you to do and calls you stupid for not doing (which he didn't do himself- he simply got lucky). You can listen to the stream enough and watch him degenerate into an entitled gently caress that yells more the less he knows about the real world- there are times he is so out of touch he basically becomes Bill OReilly lite- and I hate to say that because I love listening to LoveLine.

I honestly thought it was universal but I guess it is just me; most of the hilarity of the show is based on how completely loving wrong Adam is about almost anything.

The show is awesome and hilarious and Adam has some amazingly funny witticisms- he's gifted in that department- but he has no clue when it comes to anything political or anything to do with modern life. He's rapidly gone from 1999 hilarious to entitled ranting old white man.

But, this is just my opinion, I know I'm an idiot, to each their own. Listen to Adam's gloriously idiotic rant about the G8 on the episode with Rob Zombie and his Wife- it is so insanely out of touch- and the more wrong he gets,the louder he yells- that the source of humour becomes how wrong he is. I thought that was supposed to be the reason it was funny... I am stupid though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mr.Graves posted:

Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps means going to school, working hard, getting therapy, going to a job you hate every day even if you hate it, don't rely on your friends, and never taking part in any non-state-sanctioned recreational behaviour.

Basically, don't do anything Adam did. Just do what he yells at you to do and calls you stupid for not doing (which he didn't do himself- he simply got lucky). You can listen to the stream enough and watch him degenerate into an entitled gently caress that yells more the less he knows about the real world- there are times he is so out of touch he basically becomes Bill OReilly lite- and I hate to say that because I love listening to LoveLine.

I honestly thought it was universal but I guess it is just me; most of the hilarity of the show is based on how completely loving wrong Adam is about almost anything.

The show is awesome and hilarious and Adam has some amazingly funny witticisms- he's gifted in that department- but he has no clue when it comes to anything political or anything to do with modern life. He's rapidly gone from 1999 hilarious to entitled ranting old white man.

But, this is just my opinion, I know I'm an idiot, to each their own. Listen to Adam's gloriously idiotic rant about the G8 on the episode with Rob Zombie and his Wife- it is so insanely out of touch- and the more wrong he gets,the louder he yells- that the source of humour becomes how wrong he is. I thought that was supposed to be the reason it was funny... I am stupid though.

Carolla didn't exactly just fall into money. He didn't have the book smarts to do well in school, from that he did construction work, carpet cleaning, and was a boxing trainer. He knew he wanted to break into comedy but that isn't easy. He trained with the Groundlings, and tried some stand-up. He heard about Kimmel's stunt boxing match on morning radio and went down to the station to volunteer himself as a boxing instructor in the hopes of landing some sort of radio exposure. That's when he became friends with Kimmel and asked Kimmel about how to get into radio, from which he managed to get a morning radio bit part. Then Drew picked Carolla as a Loveline co-host after hearing his morning radio bits. And even working on Loveline was a pretty drat obscure job for a long time with crap hours.

I mean, from your list he did go to school (even though he didn't do well), he did work hard, he did get therapy, and he did go every day to jobs he hated. He just also had the drive to get OUT of the jobs he hated and into something better. He didn't rely on his friends, he pre-actively reached out to make a new friend in the business he wanted to break into. That's just good business development -- the fact that he and Kimmel later became really close friends is irrelevant since Carolla didn't know him when he contacted him to try and get into radio.

Now, don't get me wrong, a lot of his political views are retarded (especially these days), I'm not going to argue that. But acting like he just got totally lucky and had his best friend Jimmy break him into the comedy business with no work is wrong.

As for "never taking part in any non-state-sanctioned recreational behaviour" as some sort of indicator of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps :cawg:

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
There is also stuff that Adam did that he mentions pretty much never, like writing scripts for the Animaniacs cartoon, and being a stand in on movie sets for actors. He did quite a bit before he got Loveline, and early on in that part of his career but he doesn't talk much about it.
Just like he doesn't talk about his separation with Lynette in 1999/2000 before they got married.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Brekelefuw posted:

Just like he doesn't talk about his separation with Lynette in 1999/2000 before they got married.

He talked about that at length on one of the podcasts.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

Carolla didn't exactly just fall into money. He didn't have the book smarts to do well in school, from that he did construction work, carpet cleaning, and was a boxing trainer. He knew he wanted to break into comedy but that isn't easy. He trained with the Groundlings, and tried some stand-up. He heard about Kimmel's stunt boxing match on morning radio and went down to the station to volunteer himself as a boxing instructor in the hopes of landing some sort of radio exposure. That's when he became friends with Kimmel and asked Kimmel about how to get into radio, from which he managed to get a morning radio bit part. Then Drew picked Carolla as a Loveline co-host after hearing his morning radio bits. And even working on Loveline was a pretty drat obscure job for a long time with crap hours.

I mean, from your list he did go to school (even though he didn't do well), he did work hard, he did get therapy, and he did go every day to jobs he hated. He just also had the drive to get OUT of the jobs he hated and into something better. He didn't rely on his friends, he pre-actively reached out to make a new friend in the business he wanted to break into. That's just good business development -- the fact that he and Kimmel later became really close friends is irrelevant since Carolla didn't know him when he contacted him to try and get into radio.

Now, don't get me wrong, a lot of his political views are retarded (especially these days), I'm not going to argue that. But acting like he just got totally lucky and had his best friend Jimmy break him into the comedy business with no work is wrong.

As for "never taking part in any non-state-sanctioned recreational behaviour" as some sort of indicator of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps :cawg:
That is a decent assessment, but he really IS lucky that he met up with Kimmel and that Kimmel is such a great guy. He was proactive about trying to break into comedy, but his belief that he eventually would have made it is a crock. He says that everyone he knows that was talented and didn't give up has made it. Well, if they didn't make it, he wouldn't know them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

A magazine called Design Bureau had an article about Carolla and his house: http://www.wearedesignbureau.com/2010/11/adam-carolla/

You see small sections of it in The Adam Carolla Project, but most of the pictures are areas I haven't seen before. It's pretty impressive, I'm surprised he doesn't bring it up more. I know you hear a little about the office with the vintage car in it and a couple other things, but there is some seriously cool stuff about the house (just speaking as someone who doesn't know anything about architecture).

And speaking of the Adam Carolla Project, looks like it got taken off Youtube. That's pretty stupid considering it's not available anywhere to watch, and there aren't any plans for a DVD or anything. I'm glad I watched it all while it was up.

• Locked thread