Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006
[quote="destructo"]

I'm all about wanting a sharp, clean looking engine bay...but my god why orange on a BMW ?

anyway, to contribute

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/2143871260.html

Click here for the full 1258x735 image.

hells yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Oh holy gently caress :fap:

That would be the best daily driver ever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fastback indeed

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

slidebite posted:

What in the gently caress is the "turbo" thing on the exhaust?

It's a Timbo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I've never needed something so badly in my life.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Well, it's only about 3/4 of the country away. Road trip?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One is probably all you'd get.

One is all you'll need.

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Spidey-sense tingling...

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Click here for the full 1366x728 image.

OH gently caress YEAH.

Goddamnit....

Memphis rarely has anything worth mentioning.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?
I see everyone talking about the orange engine, but you guys seem to have missed the amazing hood scoop

http://claspics.com/463/612386/1293912938-599.JPG.php

stoko fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 5, 2011

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wandering Idiot posted:

OH gently caress YEAH.

Goddamnit....

Didn't you learn something from the last goon here who had a free boat? They're quite expensive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

stoko posted:

I see everyone talking about the orange engine, but did you guys seem to have missed the amazing hood scoop

THE LAST OF THE INTERCEPTORS

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Wandering Idiot posted:

OH gently caress YEAH.

Goddamnit....

The poor soul who jumped on that grenade did you a favor. Look for a seaworthy example that needs a little polish for a couple grand and you'll come out WAY ahead of that "free" boat deal.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Wandering Idiot posted:

OH gently caress YEAH.

Goddamnit....

Too bad. It had a nice rutter. :laugh:

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Hot Buttered posted:

The poor soul who jumped on that grenade did you a favor. Look for a seaworthy example that needs a little polish for a couple grand and you'll come out WAY ahead of that "free" boat deal.

Exactly. However, if you want a free (or nearly free) boat you need look no further than your nearest dock. Almost every single one has a couple of decent sailboats where the owners simply stopped paying wet slip fees. The facility owners will probably give them to you if you agree to a 12 month contract.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

I found out that Matlab can read in websites, so I did the first thing I thought of: plotted used car prices from Craigslist!

First iteration of the program just gave an average, high, and low price for a given model and year in your area. Second scanned all years of the model in the area and plotted it. Third scans all years of a given model, and averages the models over most of the larger areas on CL. This takes a long time to run, but it shows some cool stuff.

The program is far from flawless, since this is just based on a search term, so dumb-shits can still fool it with their 1993 Civic they put "WILL TRADE FOR CORVETTE" in the title. I also put a lower limit of $50 on the search, but I feel like the averages are low. Also, forgive my weird y-axis labels. It's supposed to say "cost," but my version of Matlab is grumpy as hell sometimes.

On with plots!

Corvette

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

Mustang

Camaro

Wrangler

I have some more of long-running productions like "Thunderbird" and "Beetle" and "Bug," if anyone wants to see those. Long story short, it looks like almost all cars in 1985 are the minimum. Super-nerd me wants to take the hp for each car and year and divide that out to get hp/$ (yes, I would have to change the search term to eliminate, say, V6 Mustangs).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Seriously fighting the urge to pawn things and drive to knoxville.

what's up with the rear tires? methinks it's a wider axle?

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Raluek posted:

Didn't you learn something from the last goon here who had a free boat? They're quite expensive.

I must've missed that thread. I have neither the room, nor the income, to store or repair a boat anyhow. Just not something you see everyday in the free section. That and if I did bring it home, the wife would force me to live in it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

shoncook posted:

I found out that Matlab can read in websites, so I did the first thing I thought of: plotted used car prices from Craigslist!

First iteration of the program just gave an average, high, and low price for a given model and year in your area. Second scanned all years of the model in the area and plotted it. Third scans all years of a given model, and averages the models over most of the larger areas on CL. This takes a long time to run, but it shows some cool stuff.

The program is far from flawless, since this is just based on a search term, so dumb-shits can still fool it with their 1993 Civic they put "WILL TRADE FOR CORVETTE" in the title. I also put a lower limit of $50 on the search, but I feel like the averages are low. Also, forgive my weird y-axis labels. It's supposed to say "cost," but my version of Matlab is grumpy as hell sometimes.

On with plots!

Corvette

Mustang

Camaro

Wrangler

I have some more of long-running productions like "Thunderbird" and "Beetle" and "Bug," if anyone wants to see those. Long story short, it looks like almost all cars in 1985 are the minimum. Super-nerd me wants to take the hp for each car and year and divide that out to get hp/$ (yes, I would have to change the search term to eliminate, say, V6 Mustangs).

These are quite interesting and follow with the trends I've seen while looking for Vettes, Mustangs, and Camaros/Firebirds over the past few months.

I wish Craigslist did analysis like this, or like what OKCupid does with the statistical work. They've got a ton of info in there.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.

slidebite posted:

Is that even a real M3? The badging from the rear shot looks like it's off about 15 degrees.

judging by the correct color tag on the front strut tower, the side badging, the mirrors, and the side sill bodywork, it looks legit. i wouldn't trust that rear end in a top hat to get any of those other things right in trying to convert it to 'm3-spec'.

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

not too sure if you guys are really wanting it, but it says Ringgold at the top which I think is somewhere in N. Ga....

stoko posted:

I see everyone talking about the orange engine, but you guys seem to have missed the amazing hood scoop

Never in my life have I wanted to send a car to the crusher and take off my hat while Taps plays on a single trumpet.

Blinky Blinkerson fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 6, 2011

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
Shoncrook, I'm assuming you are dealing with all the scam postings by deleting ridiculous prices?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those look like Olds Toronado wheels. He probably just crammed a complete Toronado drivetrain under this thing. I wonder where the cooling system is.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

[t img]http://i.min.us/idQt3G.gif[/timg]

Jesus gently caress I want that, and I don't even know why.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Found while browsing for a pick-up truck:

"Haha, wow! Surely this is something I can post in CL Gold!"
*clicks link*
"PERFECT."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

In case anyone is curious that Countach that the Canadian government was selling ended up going for $63,333

http://www.crownassets.pwgsc.gc.ca/...lct=L#topOfCADC

Probably a decent deal

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Hell if I had the cash I'd pay that much for a Countach in great shape. I'd love to recreate my childhood fantasies with a Countach, Testarossa, and DeLorean.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Otacon posted:

Found while browsing for a pick-up truck:

"Haha, wow! Surely this is something I can post in CL Gold!"
*clicks link*
"PERFECT."

Has that thing been in a fire?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Arent V-dub fastbacks supposed to be rare?

I don't know much about older VW's but this one looks interesting....

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

shoncook posted:

I LOVE this kind of information. Please post everything. Can you pull things like "Ferrari" as well? The data suggests almost perfect U shape for the collectables. With enough data you could almost predict the exact month to buy a Ferrari 305 an have it start appreciating. Assuming the model holds and it is not that the 80's just sucked so much.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2141522188.html

um... that seat is horrible but $800 for a complete and running 1500 miles?!?!? classic goldwing is EXCELLENT.

besides i'd strip all the unnecessary junk off of it anyway and replace that seat with a shorty 1-up seat

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Willfrey posted:

Arent V-dub fastbacks supposed to be rare?

I don't know much about older VW's but this one looks interesting....

Mine started the exact same way. Getting pulled from a field after 19 years sitting.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Who says there never is anything good in Memphis CL?

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Tthe gravity suddenly inverted or this person is really bad with a camera or computer, or both.

AcridWhistle fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 9, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh Kijiji, why do you do this to me?

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-PANTERA-FOR-SALE-W0QQAdIdZ226465965

And why the hell can't I find an estate sale with stuff like that?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
Came across this tonight, made me chuckle.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

slidebite posted:

Oh Kijiji, why do you do this to me?

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-PANTERA-FOR-SALE-W0QQAdIdZ226465965

And why the hell can't I find an estate sale with stuff like that?

$34k for a Pantera? That's a great deal in my book.

EvellSnoats posted:

Who says there never is anything good in Memphis CL?

Is he seriously saying his lady got picked up for prostitution and he needs money to bail her out?

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
Fancy a 200+ BHP Transit van? Wonder why the engine let go?

quote:

Ex-RAC Ford Transit 150 SWB, first registered Nov. 2000.

This has been my daily vehicle (running great!) up until yesterday when it suffered a major engine disaster (loud clattering, tons of oily smoke out of the back and recovered home by the AA), hence now sold as Spares / Repairs only (it will need towing / trailering away).

It's fitted with a 24V Cosworth engine mated to the Transit 5-speed box - this was set up on the rolling road at Rick Woods in Davenport last July (£150), print-out / graphs confirmed 200bhp.

I also had the van profesionally fitted with a Wizards of Noz nitrous oxide kit last year (11lb bottle mounted in the back, behind the spare wheel) - it is currently running 60bhp nozzles but these can be uprated to 100bhp for c£20. The Nitrous is operated by a dash-board mounted toggle switch to arm it and then in conjunction with a micro-switch on full throttle.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

Is he seriously saying his lady got picked up for prostitution and he needs money to bail her out?

The actual address in Olive Branch, MS which is just south of Memphis off of Highway 78, which is Lamar. Lamar is a dragway for hookers. I hope it is some sort of joke, I don't know what else he would gain from putting that in there.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
Yeah, Lamar, and Airways, are the hooker capitals of greater Memphis. Olive Branch is literally right down the street.

I was wrong about Memphis craigslist, there are great things occasionally.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/2144894162.html

It's a few days old, probably sold by now, but, unlike the free boat, I would legitimately love to have this in my garage.

E: Lovely.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/2136989189.html

Wandering Idiot fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sir Tonk posted:

$34k for a Pantera? That's a great deal in my book.

It's like time's been turned back to 2003. Panteras have almost doubled in price in the last 6 or 7 years