Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything
I just put the entire job posting into my resume (if it's a pdf or word doc attachment), make it white text and 1 pt or 2 pt font. I figure it can beat any keyword search that way, but you have to make sure you delete anything you absolutely don't know/can't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
I'm graduating this year and trying to find in the environmental/infrastructure civil fields. My resume has gotten me a few jobs, but I'd like to really polish it before starting my heavy duty job search that is to come. Anyone have any great examples of engineering resumes to seek guidance from?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
With everything so automated, use as many key words as possible in your resume. And don't use weird abbreviations; spell out important words like "electrical engineer" if you want your resume to make it through the computer algorithms and get to an actual person.

And for god's sake, make sure there aren't any typos, misspellings or grammatical errors! Little things like proper use of a semicolon can really set the tone by which your resume is viewed.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 31, 2010

John Doe
Oct 22, 2008

Corrupt Cypher posted:

I'm graduating this year and trying to find in the environmental/infrastructure civil fields. My resume has gotten me a few jobs, but I'd like to really polish it before starting my heavy duty job search that is to come. Anyone have any great examples of engineering resumes to seek guidance from?

It's possible that you've already stumbled upon this CV-writing goon, but here's the thread anyways!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2444033

I haven't used his service yet, but I will in a couple months (based on the number of positive testimonials alone). Good luck!

flux_core
Feb 26, 2007

Not recommended on thin sections.

grover posted:

With everything so automated, use as many key words as possible in your resume. And don't use weird abbreviations; spell out important words like "electrical engineer" if you want your resume to make it through the computer algorithms and get to an actual person.

And for god's sake, make sure there aren't any typos, misspellings or grammatical errors! Little things like proper use of a semicolon can really set the tone by which your resume is viewed.

If your interviewer is personable but also pretty savvy, would bringing up the resume Meta-game be worthwhile?

Anecdotally speaking, when you're asked some BS question like "What is your greatest weakness" they want you to show that you're reflective and look at yourself, but not too honest. So I asked a manager what he would think of an interviewee answering that question with "Being too eager to give prepared responses to anticipated questions!" with an eager beaver face and tone of voice.

"Oh if you were applying to be management it would work great - if not, they'd probably say "We'll call you!" and think you had a bad attitude."

If you're going to be an engineer, particularly one which deals with computers and data as much as my field is, wouldn't that be a good way to show you've done your homework and have a personable nature? Or would they take it as you being too snide?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Cmpe undergrad here, I am really interested in getting some type of internship but I feel It will be difficult for me. I have a 2.7 GPA right now and am attending a good school. All the intern and university positions seem to at least require a 3.0 which sucks cause there are some great jobs I would love to try for. I've been trying to raise my GPA and am hoping over the next year and a half before I hopefully graduate I can get it to at least a 3.2. But is there any advice for someone in my situation? Am i screwed for internships and the like? What about after graduating is it gonna be a huge factor?

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

What engineering degree would have me NOT working in a cubicle?

I am finishing up the 'gen-eds' of engineering this semester (calc 3 / d.e. / physics / etc) and will start taking courses related to my degree very soon, but I am still on the edge as to what kind of engineering degree I actually want.

Preferably something outside, I am interested in civil engineering but have my doubts that a fresh college grad with a B.A. will be doing anything exciting.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Apple2o posted:

I am finishing up the 'gen-eds' of engineering this semester (calc 3 / d.e. / physics / etc) and will start taking courses related to my degree very soon, but I am still on the edge as to what kind of engineering degree I actually want.

Preferably something outside, I am interested in civil engineering but have my doubts that a fresh college grad with a B.A. will be doing anything exciting.

Depends on what you consider exciting, really. If you want to a field engineer you can actually end up in charge of various stuff fairly quickly. If you want to be more technical you may not.

You're going to be doing earthworks, infrastructure, roads or drainage or something, most likely. Civil work is generally one of the less technical fields in real world application. There are certainly areas where there's all sorts of testing and math, but it's also a field where you can end up doing standard things constantly and basically applying standard details and reusing previous designs over and over again. I know a few civil engineers that are quite good at what they do but are pretty much useless in a theoretical capacity.

However, you can find jobs where you're not in a cubical in most disciplines. Go for what you're interested in and you can move your career towards the type of work you'd like to do in that discipline. If you want to get into the field more, you can either focus on the construction/implementation/commissioning/inspection side of things more or you can work on smaller projects where you're working with a small team and have to have intimate knowledge, or projects where you're modifying existing items and need to familiarize yourself with the site. If you don't want to leave the office you can work for bigger companies, purely on greenfield projects, or work for a part manufacturer or on electrical components. There's all sorts of ways you can target your career towards the sort of work that you'd like to do.

You'll actually find that a lot of companies will try to get you out into the field a reasonable amount in the first few years so you can actually understand what the heck you're doing. If you can't connect your work with it's implementation in real life it's difficult to do a good job.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SubCrid TC posted:

You'll actually find that a lot of companies will try to get you out into the field a reasonable amount in the first few years so you can actually understand what the heck you're doing. If you can't connect your work with it's implementation in real life it's difficult to do a good job.

We have this issue where I work. Some/most of the software engineers don't know much about the full system outside of what they are writing the software for. So we'll get a software guy out on our test plan and he won't know how to run his software or whatever else needs to be set up to make it all work.

That's where the field engineering guys like myself come in, we know the full system. Most field engineers go on to later become systems engineers because they have had the most experience with working on overall systems.

So maybe look for field engineering jobs, most large companies have field engineering departments. Were you have a chance of being outside working on equipment most of the day. Or you can get stuck sitting in a cube somewhere a few thousand miles from where you live and only working outside a few days a month.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Apple2o posted:

Schlumberger was looking hard on my campus to send people to work on oil rigs or fields for a few years.

I'd say for your best shot at doing something outside a cubicle, Mechanical or Civil engineering are your safest bets. I'm mechanical and I ended up at an internship doing fire protection engineering work that had me on construction sites for half the work week, so the work is out there. Friends of mine are working in rail depots and robotics labs (which is what I'm doing in my senior year). Usually, younger engineers will be the ones outside doing the dirty work before being promoted indoors to run everything after a few years.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Apple2o posted:

*Applications Engineer. You're basically white collar, well paid technical support for your companies' products. You'll get sent off on the road to go setup a dyno in a test cell somewhere. Or maybe you'll get assigned on-site to babysit a test cell (one of my buddies from college does this; same degree, same school, he's supporting test cells at remote sites, I sit in a cube and do electron wizardry. I miss people :smith:)

Apply for applications engineering positions with any engineering degree, really. Maybe target somewhat for the industry you'd like to be in, but we have apps guys that are MEs and EEs, so YMMV. If you're single, coming out of school and want to travel, this may be the job for you. The trainer I had for BIOS stuff from AMI had been out of school for a year and a half, and was on the road for almost 35 weeks a year I think he said. He didn't care too much because he had a low-rent place back in Georgia, and he could expense a lot of stuff, in addition to collecting IRS per-diem and his regular salary. Might be worth looking into.

e: Oh god, I almost forgot! I have no life and can't talk to women, so I've elected to spend some of my spare time exploring other disciplines. Can some ME and AE goons recommend some "classic" texts in their disciplines? Specifically: thermo, fluids, wing theory. I'd ask about physics textbooks, but this is an engineering thread, so... :smug: (seriously though, if you've got any physics recommendations, particles + waves specifically, that'd be great).

movax fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 3, 2011

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

movax posted:

e: Oh god, I almost forgot! I have no life and can't talk to women, so I've elected to spend some of my spare time exploring other disciplines. Can some ME and AE goons recommend some "classic" texts in their disciplines? Specifically: thermo, fluids, wing theory. I'd ask about physics textbooks, but this is an engineering thread, so... :smug: (seriously though, if you've got any physics recommendations, particles + waves specifically, that'd be great).

This book is what we used in my first two semesters of graduate fluids classes, and it seems to be pretty popular at other departments as well. I think this book is focused more on understanding the physical nature of fluid flows, than say doing an aerodynamic analysis of a wing, although that is touched on.

I think this book is a good start if you are specifically interested in airfoil theory & analysis, and it includes some discussion about the basic ideas behind compressible flow as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 10, 2023

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

Having the mathematical justification behind the engineering is critical though, I feel. Engineers (especially nowadays) far too often forsake the maths behind the relationships in favour of simply "using" them, without properly understanding how they work.

Classical example of this is FEA. More engineers than I care to count think that "oh yeah, just put the loads and restraints on the model and solve" is a perfectly acceptable way of getting results. Problem is that it's (like alot of engineering techniques) "garbage in, garbage out", and a little understanding of how the principle works goes a long way in terms of confidence in your results.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 10, 2023

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Understanding the math behind a process is also important for analyzing the work that others have done. This is particularly crucial when you start to deal with complex problems or geometries, or situations that the program may not necessarily have been designed for.

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found
Got an interview for a summer internship working alongside EE's working for a subcontractor (under Ball Aerospace) doing radar board design and testing and UAV guidance systems :allears: had to gloat somewhere

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Anyone have any info or places to guide me on being a petroleum engineer? Finishing my Physics degree but I'm pretty confident I can pass the FE or whatever if I study. Heck half of Halliburton's job entries list it as preferred, not even required. What I'm looking for is something of a forum where I can get some first hand accounts, and being like a field engineer or something sounds like interesting work that doesn't involve being cooped up all day.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

thenickmix
Mar 4, 2007
Any of you students or recent grads care to share your resumes? I'm a sophomore CmpE starting to hunt for a summer internship and feel like I have nothing to put on my resume. My only work experience are two meaningless work-study jobs (one from freshman year as a Chem Lab Assistant and the one I'm currently doing at the Library Circulation Desk) that I only work 6 hours a week for.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

thenickmix posted:

Any of you students or recent grads care to share your resumes? I'm a sophomore CmpE starting to hunt for a summer internship and feel like I have nothing to put on my resume. My only work experience are two meaningless work-study jobs (one from freshman year as a Chem Lab Assistant and the one I'm currently doing at the Library Circulation Desk) that I only work 6 hours a week for.

That Chem Lab assistant job could be a really good thing to put on a resume. It shows that some professor trusted you with (probably) expensive equipment and some degree of responsibility. I'd hammer on that one a lot, Employers like to see work outside of the classroom, especially as a sophomore. They know that you probably don't have much "real world" work experience yet.

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer

alwayslost posted:

Got an interview for a summer internship working alongside EE's working for a subcontractor (under Ball Aerospace) doing radar board design and testing and UAV guidance systems :allears: had to gloat somewhere

hey I was looking at ball a while back, but couldnt find any opportunities in the location I wanted. congrats!

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found

seo posted:

hey I was looking at ball a while back, but couldnt find any opportunities in the location I wanted. congrats!

I applied at Ball but never heard anything back, this is actually a much smaller local company, they just told me that most of the work they do is contract work for the military, and they get a vast majority of their work from Ball (subcontracts on the contracts Ball has with the military).

Thanks for all the kudos...I think the interview went pretty decently, now we'll see if I get anything in 2 months when they finally make their decisions on interns :argh:

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer

alwayslost posted:

I applied at Ball but never heard anything back, this is actually a much smaller local company, they just told me that most of the work they do is contract work for the military, and they get a vast majority of their work from Ball (subcontracts on the contracts Ball has with the military).

Thanks for all the kudos...I think the interview went pretty decently, now we'll see if I get anything in 2 months when they finally make their decisions on interns :argh:

poo poo that sucks. I expect to have an offer before the end of January

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
I'll be finishing my masters in math this August. I've decided that academia is definitely not for me.

I'm now seriously considering getting an undergrad degree in engineering. I'm excited by the idea. I'm hoping I'll at least have a headstart on the math requirements.

Any advice or thoughts on this decision?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Do you know what field of engineering? Is the one you already have an interest or experience in?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
I am going back to school for chemical engineering and wiil be graduating in about 3 years. I have to retake some classes that didn't transfer. I am looking forward to after I graduate, and the job scene, but wondering where I can find info on the anticipated demand for Chemical engineers, especially in the Anchorage and Greater Seattle Area. I would think that the Refineries in the Anacortes area of the Puget Sound would be a great area to look for ChemE jobs, but couldn't really find any openings , or listings for that area.

TL;DR: where can I find info on expected demand for Chemical Engineers in a perticular region.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Flyboy925 posted:

I am going back to school for chemical engineering and wiil be graduating in about 3 years. I have to retake some classes that didn't transfer. I am looking forward to after I graduate, and the job scene, but wondering where I can find info on the anticipated demand for Chemical engineers, especially in the Anchorage and Greater Seattle Area. I would think that the Refineries in the Anacortes area of the Puget Sound would be a great area to look for ChemE jobs, but couldn't really find any openings , or listings for that area.

TL;DR: where can I find info on expected demand for Chemical Engineers in a perticular region.

Going by my dad's work in the oil business as a chemE, he's always been "based" in an office somewhere and occasionally flies out to oversee a new process or startup or something. There's probably some jobs for chemE's at the refineries, but most are probably desk-type jobs at whatever research and development headquarters the company has.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

gFOhPOjeg2sqmb5jHQbW
V1rruhQ5VDP7WeWHHdCM
o9Ztcrb7Lo0Yz54O2UcH
fG6lp0yswjV0yzZbY9Uu
u9GrBFPGNIEwMOPaccxv
9wfm9qh6LqS2UBLy7X0V
uk6rSpy7TqZ09vSAKVAS
cGtJYiG0eRE4y2swrObP
8Fxc8oi7LqFUN9Yk5q9d
HbnJXnRS4xbRnJMfDTxI

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 27, 2023

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

Flyboy925 posted:

Always start with your school's career center. That will allow you to identify companies that typically hire from your school. The career center may also be able to identify companies who are hiring in those locations.

Also there are quite a few ChemE opportunities with major oil companies that have activities on the North Slope that have offices in Anchorage. If you want to capitalize on those you will need to keep your GPA above a 3.5. I would imagine there are a number of small operators that have opportunities up there as well.

Zuriel147
May 1, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Yep. When we covered Finite Element Analysis we had to derive everything and then code up our own solver before we started using
ANSYS. The civil E's just were given an excel macro and told 'use this'.

I'm a civil engineer; one of our courseworks in university was to write an FEM program in MATLAB to analyse deflection in a steel frame. YMMV.

Although after having produced a simple spreadsheet to specify reinforcement sizes I have had to say, "that's good, but you just need to turn it upside down" to someone.

Old Dirty Dick
Jul 30, 2009

Bodhi Tea posted:

I'll be finishing my masters in math this August. I've decided that academia is definitely not for me.

I'm now seriously considering getting an undergrad degree in engineering. I'm excited by the idea. I'm hoping I'll at least have a headstart on the math requirements.

Any advice or thoughts on this decision?

I doubled in EE and Math in undergrad, and the math definitely gave me a leg up not only on math requirements, but also in a lot of the EE courses. Not sure what kind of math you're into, or what branch of engineering you're looking to do, but I can say a strong math background would make specializing in controls or signal processing a breeze.

Alfit
Jul 6, 2004

I dye my hair to match my cat
I am going to echo all the sentiments about bio/biomedical engineering that have already been posted. My recommendation is to stick with the well-developed fields: Do Mechanical/Electrical Engineering if you're interested in Prosthetics, Electrical Engineering if devices / optics is of interest, and Chemical Engineering if bioprocessing / biotechnology or food safety is more of interest.

I am personally interested in more of the bioprocessing / biotechnology side of things, but it wasn't until after I graduated that I realized I could do everything I want to do with a Chemical Engineering degree that I could do with a Bioengineering degree, plus more. Employers are weary about us bioengineers since it is such a new field (and we're generalized).

That said, even though my job prospects were (to say the least) not good, I did value my degree immensely. It was wonderful to learn about all facets of engineering. I found a new appreciation / love for electronics that I never knew I had. In addition, it was immensely useful and satisfying to model biological systems using mechanical or electrical systems and run simulations on a computer to model things like atherosclerosis, hypertension, etc. These sorts of things I doubt you would do in your ME, EE, or ChemE classes.

I am currently in a Masters program to aid me in my acceptance to medical school. I have taken a couple medical school courses (as part of our program) so far and I will say that my bioengineering degree prepared me extremely well for those (except for cell biology: if your curriculum does not include this as a core class, take it as an elective). Thus, if you know you want to go to medical school, I would recommend it. If you try for medical school and do not get accepted, at the end of the day, you are still an engineer and have other options.

I welcome any of you who are pursuing or thinking about pursuing bio/biomedical engineering to ask me questions. While I don't have an extensive work-related background in the field (I did 3 co-ops at 3 different places), I do know a little bit about the medical route and Bioe curriculum.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I just discovered that Aerotek has an RSS feed. How very useful.

Help me think of major engineer recruiting companies to watch, so far I am up to:

THiNK (owned by Randstad) (Had to generate an RSS using Feedity, may or may not work)
Aerotek (Have an RSS feed, thank you Aerotek)

What are some others?

EDIT:
engineerjobs.com has an RSS and by city/discipline feature. I think it may be some sort of aggrigator but aren't sure.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 12, 2011

Luuq
Nov 27, 2007
hurrikaani

Alfit posted:

I welcome any of you who are pursuing or thinking about pursuing bio/biomedical engineering to ask me questions. While I don't have an extensive work-related background in the field (I did 3 co-ops at 3 different places), I do know a little bit about the medical route and Bioe curriculum.

So I'm in my second year of college in a Master's program which includes a BSc on the way (meaning I don't have to separately apply for grad school). Officially I'm in an EE program, but I originally applied for the BioE but EE was the one I got in to. This wasn't a huge deal since A. most of the basic courses in math,physics, programming and electronics was the same and B. I could just enroll in the BioE specific courses anyway, and when I reapply through the entrance exams next year all my course work would of course be still there. So for the whole time I've actually been following the BioE curriculum.

Now the thing is, because of reasons of which some are already listed by you and others in this thread, going EE anyway might be a smarter career move. But still just like you I really like the stuff I'm studying atm: besided the hard science classes which are also cool I get the study physiology, cell biology and brain stuff. (Also some chemistry which is boring as hell). Also my EE buddies have been giving tales of these horrible electronics and signals courses that they have to go through.

So what should I do? Stick with my plan of graduating as a BioE, or go for EE? As en EE employment would most likely be pretty easy since there is so much one could do. On the BioE side I get the feeling that it's definitely not the same, I have no idea what I could be doing with that degree. What I want to do would be building Dr. Octopus tentacles, mechanical/electronical spare parts for humans or flying hover cars that shoot lasers and are controlled by the mind. Of course finding some sort of employment with a MSc in engineering wouldn't be that hard, but I have no desire just ending up as an code monkey or something like that. :ohdear:

Luuq fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 12, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My recommendation would be think about which path would give you the most reward, and go with that. If you like electrical engineering, then do electrical engineering. If you're doing electrical engineering because it's a good career choice then I think you should look elsewhere. Every engineering major is going to have horrible classes that suck (as a mechanical engineer mine was Vibration/Control), and it's important that you're motivated enough to get through the crap.

Another option is to see if you can get a BS in one field, and then get an MS in BioE. I would also take a serious look at ME and see if anything in that field interests you; if "horrible electronics and signals courses" are enough to make you look elsewhere then that might be a good path to take.

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Luuq posted:

So what should I do? Stick with my plan of graduating as a BioE, or go for EE? As en EE employment would most likely be pretty easy since there is so much one could do. On the BioE side I get the feeling that it's definitely not the same, I have no idea what I could be doing with that degree.

Disclaimer: I'm not an EE.

Adding to what was said in the last post...definitely follow where your interest lies. EE is not projected to grow significantly as a field over the next 5-10 years and will face growing international competition as well as outsourcing, so if you can only halfheartedly embrace it you might actually have more trouble finding a job than you would think. You may be better off if you absolutely kick rear end at Biomed, even if the degree isn't as common. A simple litmus test is to ask yourself what you can stand to read about/study for 12+ hours a day (even if it is not assigned in a class).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I personally hate school but I love working as a Mech. Eng. Tech and can't wait until I graduate. It's knowing how much I can potentially enjoy working and the salary I can expect that keeps me going.