Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I've been a nitro guy for a while, but I'm tempted to start going all electric to save myself the hassle. I'm thinking about putting lipo's and a brushless system on my Christmas list. But then again, nothing sounds better than a strung out .21 buggy flying down the back straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The Mrs. is getting me a DX3S to go with my soon-to-be-ordered Blitz ESE (aaaany day now), and I got my son and nephew Blitz RTR kits. This is seriously the most enjoyable and contagious hobby I've ever participated in.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I recently got the Venom 4000mah li-po battery, and forgot to turn off and disconnect the battery after I shut off my radio, so the battery drained itself as the truck sat for a few days. When I connected it to the venom pro charger, I get a Battery Vol Error
Cell Connect

I read this can mean a bad connection through the cell balance plus block. Is there anything else that could cause this?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jebediah posted:

I recently got the Venom 4000mah li-po battery, and forgot to turn off and disconnect the battery after I shut off my radio, so the battery drained itself as the truck sat for a few days. When I connected it to the venom pro charger, I get a Battery Vol Error
Cell Connect

I read this can mean a bad connection through the cell balance plus block. Is there anything else that could cause this?
Could be a dead battery sadly. A lot of battery packs do not like being run down to 0 volts

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
if you discharge a Lithium battery to low, you permanatly damage the cells. you can't recharge a lipo cell after it's been discharged to far.

Your charger is preventing you from blowing yourself up.

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

Another Stampede question.

Have been really enjoying this truck. Latest problem is that when I go full throttle forwards, the motor (or trans?) makes a high pitched noise (like a squeal I guess) and there is not as much power as usual - it still goes and still goes top speed but it doesn't take off as quickly. It seems to work fine in reverse though.

Any tips?

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nerobro posted:

Your charger is preventing you from blowing yourself up.

I figured as much. Oh well, I've got to be more of an adult with this poo poo, so lesson learned!

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

skippo posted:

Another Stampede question.

Have been really enjoying this truck. Latest problem is that when I go full throttle forwards, the motor (or trans?) makes a high pitched noise (like a squeal I guess) and there is not as much power as usual - it still goes and still goes top speed but it doesn't take off as quickly. It seems to work fine in reverse though.

Any tips?

Do Stampedes have slipper clutches? If they do, you just need to tighten it up a bit.

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

kuffs posted:

Do Stampedes have slipper clutches? If they do, you just need to tighten it up a bit.

I'm an idiot. Thanks.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hey Radio Controlled Goons - I have been MIA for about three months or so. It looks like I have a bit to catch up on! I took a job delivering with FedEX Ground, so I am officially out of the industry (bummer), but things are still good! Too much snow on the ground right now to do much here in Utah, plus my wife and I bought a place a month ago so moving, etc. has taken a lot out of me.

The good news is that I have more room for all my toys. :woot: Also moving was an eye opener to see just how much RC related stuff I have, I will just say that it is to the point of embarrassment. :D

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
general RC question,

What happened to a lot of the manufacturers over the years? Carl Goldbergy is gone, MRP boats is gone, cox went under.

Seems like a lot went out of buisiness in the last 10-15 years, I remember the RC industry being strong and varied.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
SH - you and me both, I bet!

stgdz posted:

general RC question,

What happened to a lot of the manufacturers over the years? Carl Goldbergy is gone, MRP boats is gone, cox went under.

Seems like a lot went out of buisiness in the last 10-15 years, I remember the RC industry being strong and varied.

China?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My Blitz ESE will be here tomorrow! I'm as excited as a 12-year-old boy seeing his first real nipple. Next week I'm ordering either a Tekin RS 13.5 setup, or getting the HPI Flux Brushless kit. Mostly depends on whether or not the jobs I've invoiced pay on time or not.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

stgdz posted:

cox went under.

Have you ever tried to start one of those little fuckers in the cold?

Real answer is the introduction of inexpensive brushless motors beat the poo poo out of the small engine market.

Carl Goldberg products are available still through great planes. There will always be a market for the gentle lady everyone seems to have one.
http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/

In other news Webra has announced its bankruptcy. The Nitro engine market is on its way out and alot of these companies are just sticking there fingers in their ears and hoping for the best. At least O/S finally came out with a smaller gas engine to compete in that market.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

helno posted:

Have you ever tried to start one of those little fuckers in the cold?

I just had a flashback to about 15-20 years ago, flying control line airplanes with my dad. I'm pretty sure they're still up on the wall in his garage, and I'm sure they're as hard to start as ever.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My ESE came yesterday around noon, and 12 hours later....

The build went pretty good. I messed up one screw ($3 fix) and broke the thrust washers in the ball diff tightening it down. I didn't think I put THAT much pressure on it, I was just spinning the wrench and I heard a snap and everything gave. I think I'm just going to dump the HPI diff for a MIP one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

skippo posted:

I'm an idiot. Thanks.

Dont tighten it up too much though or you'll strip the gears out of your diff. It should make that squealing noise for the first second or so from a dead stop to full throttle. You need some slip to keep the driveline together.

helno posted:

In other news Webra has announced its bankruptcy. The Nitro engine market is on its way out and alot of these companies are just sticking there fingers in their ears and hoping for the best. At least O/S finally came out with a smaller gas engine to compete in that market.

Nitro engine manufacturers would do well to focus on 4-stroke gas engines, and large nitro motors. At least in the plane world, theres a point of diminishing returns when the brushless motor, battery and speed controller that you have to use in huge planes is heavier than the equivalent gas motor

I'd love to see more large scale pull-start 4-stroke R/C cars. I think theres still a market for them, but they'll always be dwarfed by electrics

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 24, 2010

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Phat_Albert posted:

Dont tighten it up too much though or you'll strip the gears out of your diff. It should make that squealing noise for the first second or so from a dead stop to full throttle. You need some slip to keep the driveline together.

Uh, you don't want your diff to slip, you want the slipper clutch to slip. Slipping diffs makes for weird handling and melted differentials.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Phat_Albert posted:

Nitro engine manufacturers would do well to focus on 4-stroke gas engines, and large nitro motors. At least in the plane world, theres a point of diminishing returns when the brushless motor, battery and speed controller that you have to use in huge planes is heavier than the equivalent gas motor

I'd love to see more large scale pull-start 4-stroke R/C cars. I think theres still a market for them, but they'll always be dwarfed by electrics

I'd love to have one of those OS 4-stroke engines they did a while back - it would have been perfect in the Super Nitro!

The problem is nitro fuel is so much more expensive than normal pump fuel. I've got a 30cc large scale monster truck to play with now, so it's off to the park next week sometime - the fuel is so much cheaper it makes up for the extra cost of the kit pretty quickly if you run it a lot, but the tires can wear out pretty quickly. The Baja crowd use the Hostile MX tires which last a lot longer than the kit tires, so there's more money to be saved there.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Not exactly RC but is anyone into slot car racing? There's a track a few miles from me that races 1:24 scale and has two large road course tracks and a 1/4 mile drag strip. I checked it out and it's pretty cool and I might get into the drag racing portion since that interests me the most. I just need to find some noob advice so I don't buy things that are considered junk.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I did slot cars for a year or so. I still have my cars.

Drag racing is a money sport. I can't really recomend it.

For the road courses, there is likely a class for the parma pan chassis. Get into that, and get into a class that uses bodies you think are cool.

Slot cars are amazingly sensitive to driver ability, so even a "slow" car can win a lot of races.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I'm not super into RC cars as such, but I am totally gay for Ken Block. What is the Traxxas Fiesta likely to be like, quality-wise? Decent for the price, or a bit of a christmas cash-grab?

http://www.traxxas.com/products/models/electric/7309kenblock

If not, can anyone recommend a similar spec model, that won't break the bank in case I get bored of it within a week?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The Ken Block Fiesta is just a 1/16th e-revo with a new body and tires. They're solid as hell.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I'm awfully proud of this thing.

My HPI Flux 5700kv motor & ESC will be here Wednesday, and I'll FINALLY be able to dial this thing in. I'm so excited!

I had the custom decals (numbers, driver name, custom sponsors) printed and cut by MrTargetPractice in SA Mart.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 28, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kuffs posted:

Uh, you don't want your diff to slip, you want the slipper clutch to slip. Slipping diffs makes for weird handling and melted differentials.

Right, what I was saying is that you want some slip in the slipper clutch, otherwise, on a Stampede anyway, the diff is the first thing to go.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Phat_Albert posted:

Right, what I was saying is that you want some slip in the slipper clutch, otherwise, on a Stampede anyway, the diff is the first thing to go.

Whoops, sorry. Misread your post :shobon:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

So, um.. that 5700kv motor... yeah. That's way too much damned power. I can't keep the wheels from spinning unless I go sllooow, and my kid with the stock 15T brushed can outrun me. I think I'll be ordering the 17.5 Tekin setup in a week or so.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does anyone have any experience with the Takara/Tomy Drift cars? There seems to be a few different versions (drift package/drift package light/Initial D) and while the Initial D ones are pretty clear that they come with a better motor, theres no real difference between the light/non-light versions besides a bunch of ebay listing titles, as far as I can tell.

I know everyone will say "just get a Mini-Z" but theres a pretty big gap in price between the two.

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

Another Stampede question (hopefully not as stupid as my last)

Only recent changes: I have recently purchased a 7 cell 5000mah 8.4v battery - a small upgrade from the stock one.

As I accelerate (with the stock battery and the new one) the truck seems to not be as fast, or have as fast a top speed. Also, if there is any brake there is not much at all.

I'm thinking ESC?

I have also called my local hobby shop. If it is the ESC, can anybody recommend a brand/type for a replacement?

skippo fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 6, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

it's not likely the esc. esc's work, or don't. they don't do anyting in half measures.

I'd be checking my motor... or diff.

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

Nerobro posted:

it's not likely the esc. esc's work, or don't. they don't do anyting in half measures.

It was the motor! Thanks :)

Replaced with a Losi equivalent as I don't have the funds for an upgrade atm.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Nerobro posted:

That's not entirely true. I've had esc's burn out on a specific function. Like it only makes the engine go in reverse but no forward motion.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

renraku posted:

That's not entirely true. I've had esc's burn out on a specific function. Like it only makes the engine go in reverse but no forward motion.
I can make a huge arguement. But it works like this: "Electronics fail in blocks" "analog bits fail progressively" As you are clearly demonstrating. :-)

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

renraku posted:

Yeah, I lost reverse/braking on one of mine. Anyway, the Losi 12T is virtually the exact same motor as the 12T Titan, so no big deal.

skippo
Jun 9, 2006

TremorX posted:

Yeah, I lost reverse/braking on one of mine. Anyway, the Losi 12T is virtually the exact same motor as the 12T Titan, so no big deal.

But :10bux: cheaper!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slash 4x4 owners: How do you like them?

I went to the race track with the Stampede this weekend, and while it was really fun, you can tell its not meant to be on a track. Then, after the track, I broke the front end while bashing (I got video of it at least!).

In my funk of not feeling like fixing the Stampede, I've been looking at Slashes. The pede has a bunch of nice kit on it (waterproof brushless system, Pro-Line shocks, etc) that would bolt right on to a slash. I'm thinking about getting a Slash roller and sticking the pede electronics and suspension in it, especially since the suspension was originally designed for a slash.

Someone talk me out of it.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Phat_Albert posted:

Someone talk me out of it.

Not going to talk you out of it. :)

I love my Slash 4x4, but I haven't raced it at all. From everything I've read if you want to race exclusively, there are better/faster options out there. That said, if you want to bash/race/whatever, the Slash is a great truck.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Not going to talk you out of it.

If you have never raced, go with a slash. It's pretty durable and still a racing contender. Besides, if your just starting out at racing your going to wreck, a lot. When you get to the point that you drive steady and you feel the slash is holding you back, sell it and go with something else. I run an SC10 and I'm not a huge fan of traxxas as a company. But I'll always recommend the slash to people just starting out at Short Course rc racing.

Speaking of which, anyone recommend a good lipo charger? I'm mostly a nitro guy and run nimh in my sc10 because it's the only electric I run. But I don't think my batteries will last another season and it's time to upgrade.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 13, 2011

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
The Turnigy Accucell-6 is a nice little charger. Cheap as gently caress but with lots of features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
Seconding the Accucell 6. I love mine. (And the cheap 2S LiPo's I got with it!)