Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Is there a website/service that I can use to read my Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr posts? If I could minimize all 3 into one little service/site, that would save me a lot of time.

FriendFeed can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Two weeks ago now, I paid onboard an airport shuttle for my fare with amex and it still hasn't cleared, not even any money 'reserved' on my account. I didn't use a PIN or sign for anything, and payments usually clear within 3-4 days for that card even when used abroad, which was the case here. Is there a limit for when their rights to charge my account expires or something?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
The TV cliche:

"We've got a live one here"

Now it has a meaning, but where did it come from? Google just repeats some guesses. Anyone have any suggestions?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

kapalama posted:

The TV cliche:

Now it has a meaning, but where did it come from? Google just repeats some guesses. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've heard people literally say that about a fish they were catching, and they weren't big TV folk. The progression is basically to con men, gamblers, and even salesmen who refer to marks or customers as "fish" or "whales".

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Two weeks ago now, I paid onboard an airport shuttle for my fare with amex and it still hasn't cleared, not even any money 'reserved' on my account. I didn't use a PIN or sign for anything, and payments usually clear within 3-4 days for that card even when used abroad, which was the case here. Is there a limit for when their rights to charge my account expires or something?

In short, no, there isn't.

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Is there a website/service that I can use to read my Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr posts? If I could minimize all 3 into one little service/site, that would save me a lot of time.

also WUPH

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

kapalama posted:

The TV cliche:

Are you saying the original quote? Because I doubt you'll find that.

If you want the literal meaning, it would be used literally after a battle or a disaster when looking for survivors.

Very Strange Things posted:

I've heard people literally say that about a fish they were catching

That's not literal.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 4, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

That's not literal.

Oops, you're right. I figuratively heard someone say that about a metaphorically live fish.

?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm taking a trip across Texas on Amtrak tomorrow. This will be my first time taking a train long distance.

A family member swears up and down that they have drug dogs on Amtrak trains. :tinfoil: Now she's normally a bit on the paranoid side to begin with, especially with drugs, but how likely is it that I'll run into something like this on a 30 hour trip? I was planning on bringing a small amount of :420: with me to smoke at my destination, and now she has me acting like a paranoid stoner.

I've been through my departing station (Dallas) several times, since the TRE starts/ends there. Never seen a drug dog or cop in the station before, it's usually pretty empty.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

some texas redneck posted:

I'm taking a trip across Texas on Amtrak tomorrow. This will be my first time taking a train long distance.

A family member swears up and down that they have drug dogs on Amtrak trains. :tinfoil: Now she's normally a bit on the paranoid side to begin with, especially with drugs, but how likely is it that I'll run into something like this on a 30 hour trip? I was planning on bringing a small amount of :420: with me to smoke at my destination, and now she has me acting like a paranoid stoner.

I've been through my departing station (Dallas) several times, since the TRE starts/ends there. Never seen a drug dog or cop in the station before, it's usually pretty empty.

Generally the dogs they have at stations are not trained to find drugs. They're trained to look for explosives.

Do not take this as gospel though because I've only been through DC/PA/NY.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

I recently took the Amtrak and there were dogs and agents all over the place. But, I was travelling from NYC.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Define a small amount. If you are trying take a few grams with you just pack it nicely in your bag and leave it in there till you get to wherever you are going. I doubt they are going to rip you out of your seat and throw you in prison for a few grams.

I live in DC, perhaps one of the most sketchy cop filled cities in the states, and taken Amtrak a ton of times. I have seen police dogs in the station but never once on the actual train, or anywhere near the boarding area for the trains.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

There is a thread in TCC about traveling with drugs, check that out.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Schweinhund posted:

Are you saying the original quote? Because I doubt you'll find that.

If you want the literal meaning, it would be used literally after a battle or a disaster when looking for survivors.

That usage has nothing to do with the TV cliche "We've got a live one here" as far as I can tell.

That TV expression is one of those cliches that has bounced off the screen into real life that no one seems to know where it comes from or why they are even using the words other than the fact that people on TV use it so people in real life use it.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

kapalama posted:

That usage has nothing to do with the TV cliche "We've got a live one here" as far as I can tell.

That TV expression is one of those cliches that has bounced off the screen into real life that no one seems to know where it comes from or why they are even using the words other than the fact that people on TV use it so people in real life use it.

I'm pretty sure I'm right and that it predates TV, if not all talkies.
A "live one" is a mark or rube, analagous to a "fish", that you've hooked.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I'm pretty sure I'm right and that it predates TV, if not all talkies.
A "live one" is a mark or rube, analagous to a "fish", that you've hooked.

Yeah that at least makes sense, once you connect the 'whale' idea...

Of course the TV cliche has become so cliche because it is just something TV writers put in whenever they are indicating a reaction wihtout any regard to appropriateness to the original idea.

I know language follows usage but the TV cliche usage seems driven by TV writers and not speakers.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
AIM changed one of my passwords for my screen name. I spent an hour on the phone with AOL but they're useless. I'm desperate. How can I get my password back?

When I pass the image verification, it reads

quote:

We're sorry. We do not have enough information to reset your password. If you are unable to remember it you will need to create a new Username.

I've been looking for solutions all weekend. Can't anybody help me? There has to be SOMETHING I can do. :bang:

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009
Im planning a trip on a motorcycle can google maps show me the range i could travel if I went 281.6 miles?

EDIT: found this. kinda works http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

mambo italiano fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 5, 2011

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I just read an article about the nation of Bhutan, the article states that the penis is a near omnipresent cultural symbol in the country. This is far too hilarious to be true, so I checked Wikipedia and the CIA factbook and neither make any mention of this. Confirm/Deny?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ProperCoochie posted:

AIM changed one of my passwords for my screen name. I spent an hour on the phone with AOL but they're useless. I'm desperate. How can I get my password back?

When I pass the image verification, it reads

I've been looking for solutions all weekend. Can't anybody help me? There has to be SOMETHING I can do. :bang:

I probably can't help you, but since this is the 3rd time you've posted it with no responses I guess I can try a few obvious suggestions.
Clear your cookies and browser cache and try it again.
Try an entirely different browser -like "google chrome" instead of Firefox or Safari or whatever.
Try it from an entirely different computer.
Try calling again and again until you get someone who can actually help you -there is someone there that knows how to fix it for you if it is a problem on their end. Sometimes it's just a crapshoot until you get the right person that isn't just consulting their cheatsheet of "Try turning it off and on again."
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

edit: also, try SHSC instead?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 5, 2011

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Question about mosquito bites.

I live in a temperate zone [southern Canada] and get bitten by mosquitos regularily here. I hardly get a bump and it's usually not itchy. If they do swell and itch they're healed up within two days.

I travel to Manzanillo Mexico every winter. I get mosquito bites there and they're painfully itchy, swell up, turn dark red, and ooze clear fluid that crusts over yellow for up to a week. It takes two days before they get irritated. The bites sometimes develop a small dimple in the center just before they flare up. No one else seems to have this problem.

Do tropical mosquitos have a nastier fluid they inject and/or am I particularily sensitive? Hydocortisone cream and antihystamine medications do nothing to alleviate the symptoms.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

kapalama posted:

Yeah that at least makes sense, once you connect the 'whale' idea...

Of course the TV cliche has become so cliche because it is just something TV writers put in whenever they are indicating a reaction wihtout any regard to appropriateness to the original idea.

I know language follows usage but the TV cliche usage seems driven by TV writers and not speakers.

Fishing as an origin doesn't make sense. Presumably the origin is something that is literal. It's irrelevant that the fish is "alive" since any time you catch a fish it's obviously alive, whether it's big or small. Unless "live" is just short for "lively" which doesn't seem right. It would be like if I ask where does "throw in the towel" come from and you say it's from when you can't catch any fish, you give up and throw in the towel.

That's a good possibility
\/\/\/\/

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 5, 2011

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

On "a live one": I've also seen a suggested origin in wartime, i.e. finding live ordnance out on the battlefield or wherever. If that were the origin, it would be a simple extension out to fishing, where it would mean a fish that's particularly agitated, i.e. ready to blow, figuratively speaking. Same could extend to people, since I know I've heard it used to refer to someone who's worked up or about to lose their temper.

WierdFishes posted:

I can't speak with any scientific certainty, but living in a country that straddles a tropic I can definitely say none of the mosquitoes here have done anything like that to me, and the little bastards love biting me.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 5, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Schweinhund posted:

Fishing as an origin doesn't make sense. Presumably the origin is something that is literal. It's irrelevant that the fish is "alive" since any time you catch a fish it's obviously alive, whether it's big or small. Unless "live" is just short for "lively" which doesn't seem right. It would be like if I ask where does "throw in the towel" come from and you say it's from when you can't catch any fish, you give up and throw in the towel.

Actually fisherman always uses similar term in a non cliched sense, calling a strong fighting fish a live(ly) one, or a fighter or any of a hundred different terms. Gettting a hit on a small fish just means you reel it in. Getting a hit on a big fish gets dangerous fast, like from getting pulled under if you are not harnessed properly. Inexperienced people drown pretty regularly when catching big fish and getting the pole pulled in with them attached in some way and pulled under

Deep ocean fisherman (in Hawaii and the Pacific) spend time fighting big strong fish. An hour on the hook is not uncommon, and since you need help getting the you, the pole, the harness, and the boat situated if you get a big strike, it is generally a pretty loud announcement to everyone, from other poles in the water, to the captain who may need to adjust course.

That does not mean that that is where the TV cliche comes from but at least I can navigate from that to the TV Cliche. The TV Cliche bugs the hell out of me because it is just used when the cliche TV ploiceman is facing the TV cliche crazy person. At least when I connect it to the process of getting a wild fish on a boat it makes some sense.

I cannot do anything in my head with the idea of finding survivors or unexploded ordinance. Having found unexploded ordinance on old WWII sites, I know the last thing we cared about was whether it was live. We just got the hell out of there and called authorities. In Micronesia, it is a big enough problem that they put posters up in schools so kids won't play with them. Generally though unexploded ordinance is exploded for a reason.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kapalama posted:

I cannot do anything in my head with the idea of finding survivors or unexploded ordinance. Having found unexploded ordinance on old WWII sites, I know the last thing we cared about was whether it was live. We just got the hell out of there and called authorities. In Micronesia, it is a big enough problem that they put posters up in schools so kids won't play with them. Generally though unexploded ordinance is exploded for a reason.
The ordnance one I think comes from finding it during actual war, like yelling a heads-up to the other guys. "Watch it, we've got a live one here!" and maybe getting a dude in then to explode it.

All this said, I think it bears mentioning that there doesn't appear to be any comprehensive answer. I've dug around a few places and there are theories, but no-one seems to have been able to provide any reliable information on its origins, so I don't think we're ever going to get to a satisfactory answer.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 5, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

The ordnance one I think comes from finding it during actual war, like yelling a heads-up to the other guys. "Watch it, we've got a live one here!" and maybe getting a dude in then to explode it.

All this said, I think it bears mentioning that there doesn't appear to be any comprehensive answer. I've dug around a few places and there are theories, but no-one seems to have been able to provide any reliable information on its origins, so I don't think we're ever going to get to a satisfactory answer.

Yeah I was just looking for a way to not be annnoyed by it on TV. NO deep need there. And I Found it. So thanks all.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

WierdFishes posted:

I live in a temperate zone [southern Canada] and get bitten by mosquitos regularily here. I hardly get a bump and it's usually not itchy. If they do swell and itch they're healed up within two days.

I travel to Manzanillo Mexico every winter. I get mosquito bites there and they're painfully itchy, swell up, turn dark red, and ooze clear fluid that crusts over yellow for up to a week. It takes two days before they get irritated. The bites sometimes develop a small dimple in the center just before they flare up. No one else seems to have this problem.

Do tropical mosquitos have a nastier fluid they inject and/or am I particularily sensitive? Hydocortisone cream and antihystamine medications do nothing to alleviate the symptoms.

There are a number of different mosquito species (some carry malaria, some don't, etc). Mosiqitoes are not the thing you are reacting to, it is something they are carrying. Much like marine stings, which are also from something the marine life are infested with, and not an innate property of the marine life itself, leading to things like Jellyfish Lake where the surface jellyfish do not sting.

Below the thermocline/halocline at 15 meters something stung me, though. Wikipedia says it was hydrogen sulfide, but it felt like a jellyfish sting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellyfish_Lake

kapalama fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 5, 2011

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Red Crown posted:

I just read an article about the nation of Bhutan, the article states that the penis is a near omnipresent cultural symbol in the country. This is far too hilarious to be true, so I checked Wikipedia and the CIA factbook and neither make any mention of this. Confirm/Deny?

Googling gets lots of hits including BBC discussing it, FWIW. FOr other Asian nation penis festivals, google Japan Penis Festival. Rather obviously NSFW even though no one is naked. But then again that's Japan so.

In general the tantric Branch of religions from India (Buddhism, Hinduism) rather explicitly deal with sexuality in general. And since Bhutan borders Tibet which is Tantric influenced Buddhism, the Buddhism in Tibet would be mostly influenced by Tibet, not India, anyway.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

kapalama posted:

Actually fisherman always uses similar term in a non cliched sense, calling a strong fighting fish a live(ly) one, or a fighter or any of a hundred different terms. Gettting a hit on a small fish just means you reel it in. Getting a hit on a big fish gets dangerous fast, like from getting pulled under if you are not harnessed properly. Inexperienced people drown pretty regularly when catching big fish and getting the pole pulled in with them attached in some way and pulled under

Deep ocean fisherman (in Hawaii and the Pacific) spend time fighting big strong fish. An hour on the hook is not uncommon, and since you need help getting the you, the pole, the harness, and the boat situated if you get a big strike, it is generally a pretty loud announcement to everyone, from other poles in the water, to the captain who may need to adjust course.

That does not mean that that is where the TV cliche comes from but at least I can navigate from that to the TV Cliche. The TV Cliche bugs the hell out of me because it is just used when the cliche TV ploiceman is facing the TV cliche crazy person. At least when I connect it to the process of getting a wild fish on a boat it makes some sense.

I'm pretty sure you didn't understand a word of what I wrote. I'm not talking about whether it's a cliche or not, I'm talking about the difference between literal and figurative. There's no way fishermen are saying "We've got a lively fish here :sissies:"

Another example of a literal use would be with wiring. An electrician could say they have a live one meaning a live wire.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 5, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

Fishing as an origin doesn't make sense. Presumably the origin is something that is literal. It's irrelevant that the fish is "alive" since any time you catch a fish it's obviously alive, whether it's big or small. Unless "live" is just short for "lively" which doesn't seem right.
It is right though. Have you ever gone fishing or seen anyone fishing? When fishing, one often gets "bites" that are either an actual fish biting and then disengaging the bait, or the bait or hook just getting snagged on something less animate.
When you know you have a fish on the line, it is a live one. It really, literally, is.
It can also be as a means of comparison, as in kapalama's example that you didn't understand. Some fish that you catch put up a lot more of a fight, which is a lot more exciting for the fisherman and, in the cases of really large fish, might require the assistance of fellow fishermen.

quote:

It would be like if I ask where does "throw in the towel" come from and you say it's from when you can't catch any fish, you give up and throw in the towel.
But that is very clearly known to originate from boxing, so why would someone say that?

Schweinhund posted:

I'm pretty sure you didn't understand a word of what I wrote. I'm not talking about whether it's a cliche or not, I'm talking about the difference between literal and figurative. There's no way fishermen are saying "We've got a lively fish here :sissies:"
Yes, they absolutely are.

quote:

Another example of a literal use would be with wiring. An electrician could say they have a live one meaning a live wire.

That's a little better, but it really does make the most sense that it comes from fishing. The only confusion here is that the phrase has fallen into a slightly different use over time, from being carniespeak about a "mark" and now being used sometimes to refer to a person that is behaving oddly. That happens with language.

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!

WierdFishes posted:

I've noticed the same thing, sort of. I've been mildly allergic to mosquitoes all my life, and those that bite me in the southwestern US usually cause raised welts that are the same color of my skin that die down after 30-60 min. When I lived in the West Indies, I would get the same skin-colored welts that would die down after 15 minutes, then usually the next day I would have horrible red splotches in place of the welts that would last 3-5 days and itch like hell. Mine never ooze, but that's probably because I don't scratch them in my sleep.

It may be something in the environment as kapalama suggested, or it might be that your immune system reacts to different mosquito species. There's not a lot you can do, besides using repellent and wearing long pants, shoes, and long sleeves.

cats
May 11, 2009
I came back to my dorm room after winter break to a lovely smell of mildew. However, I can't seem to locate the source. What could be some common areas that I've missed?

I've smelled all my laundry/carpet around the laundry basket, under the fridge (seems to be the most likely spot as we had to unplug it, but the carpet smells fine), near where I keep my laundry basket, near the heater, and under my bed - and I still can't figure it out. My room is right next to a bathroom but I've never had a problem with leaks until now, and the bathroom was not in use over break.

If I still can't find a source, is there something I can do to make it go away anyway?

I don't have a roommate, so can't blame it on anyone else.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Could be a dorm above yours, or in the walls somewhere. If you look around at Wal Mart's auto section or an auto store, you should be able to find an air freshener spray called Ozium and it's great for that. I have a really old truck that had a leak near the window, and it spend a winter off the road so moisture was constantly coming in which left it with a strong mildew smell. I just used more than the recommended amount and shut all the doors and windows for a while, it did a really good job there.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Have you ever gone fishing or seen anyone fishing? When fishing, one often gets "bites" that are either an actual fish biting and then disengaging the bait, or the bait or hook just getting snagged on something less animate.
When you know you have a fish on the line, it is a live one. It really, literally, is.

In that case why would the fisherman need to specify that the fish is "live"? Why not just say "I've got one"? If they say "live one", it's only to specify that they have a big fish as opposed to a small one, not to say they have a fish instead of a shoe. And I just can't believe there was ever a common occurrence of fisherman saying "I've got a lively fish!" and that somehow passed into public consciousness.

Whatever, this argument is pointless.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

In that case why would the fisherman need to specify that the fish is "live"? Why not just say "I've got one"? If they say "live one", it's only to specify that they have a big fish as opposed to a small one, not to say they have a fish instead of a shoe.
I don't know, maybe for the reasons in the very post you quoted?

quote:

And I just can't believe there was ever a common occurrence of fisherman saying "I've got a lively fish!" and that somehow passed into public consciousness.
Hey, maybe it was, but that's not what I, or anyone else has said here. They say, "I've got a live one," just like carnies say about the same people they call "fish". They honestly do.

quote:

Whatever, this argument is pointless.

I know, but you seemed pretty adamant about it not being about fishing for some reason even though it's the most reasonable theory.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Clearly at one point or another, someone or thing resisted someone or thing and was called a lively one, it was then shortened to a live one. There isn't some historical root dating back to the sole survivor of Mt. Vesuvius or something. What a pedantic bickerfest.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!
If a Canadian citizen is pulled over for speeding or something in the US, do US police have access to a Canadian citizen database to determine their identity?

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good book on Etymology? I want to learn more about word origins but would rather avoid a dictionary.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

wheres my arm posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on Etymology? I want to learn more about word origins but would rather avoid a dictionary.

The Cambridge Encyclopedias of Language and The English Language by David Crystal are good for layman linguists.

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Encyclopedia-Language-David-Crystal/dp/0521736501/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05...CJ7D1V1QD6H48BJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

wheres my arm posted:

Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson is supposed to be a good read, if not 100% accurate. I have The Oxford Dictionary of Word Histories which is a small dictionary with easy, accessible descriptions of their etymology.