Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

So it'd be a bit like TTD, in which all of the origins and destinations are already there, and you just connect them and try to maximize profit.

The pre-built roads should help realism and vehicle routing, at least. It's coming out right around my birthday, too, so I can put it on my wish list! Awesome.

I think it's more similar to Traffic Giant as the only cargo is passengers, you're building a transit system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Tom
Dec 14, 2008
How do you feel about police presence (real or fake) on roads? By fake, I mean, empty cars, cars with mannequins, blue reflectors, etc. A political sign with a life size full color picture of a sheriff even got me one time. Does police presence improve safety? Traffic flow?

Also, I don't know if they're in Connecticut, but I see a lot of "Speed Zone Ahead" signs around Oklahoma and Arkansas. Now, obviously, the speed limit is about to change, but is there any more meaning to that warning, or purpose to y'all to put them up? Or is it just more sign overkill, which you mentioned earlier in the thread?

My own road idiosyncrasy to contribute isn't as interesting as some others, but here goes. This is where two grade-separated, divided highways terminate, together, into a T-intersection with a stop sign. It actually works for now because there is almost no traffic on either of them that far north. I suspect it's just a placeholder until any development actually pushes traffic through there. The unholy confusion of street names that Google has assigned to the remainder of Tisdale before 36th North is amusing. Zoom in and you'll see it called "Harvard Avenue" (a couple miles off), "Sheridan Avenue" (another mile further off), and "N Tisdalenb Pw" and "N Tisdalesb Pw".

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Major Tom posted:

How do you feel about police presence (real or fake) on roads? By fake, I mean, empty cars, cars with mannequins, blue reflectors, etc. A political sign with a life size full color picture of a sheriff even got me one time. Does police presence improve safety? Traffic flow?

Mannequins and the like definitely don't help in the long run. They're a huge vandalism target and, like unwarranted signs, they increase the possibility that people will ignore a cop when he's actually out there. In the short term, it might increase safety if used properly, but people will quickly learn to ignore it. As to traffic flow, definitely not. If anything, it would cause a lot more delay from people slamming on their brakes.

quote:

Also, I don't know if they're in Connecticut, but I see a lot of "Speed Zone Ahead" signs around Oklahoma and Arkansas. Now, obviously, the speed limit is about to change, but is there any more meaning to that warning, or purpose to y'all to put them up? Or is it just more sign overkill, which you mentioned earlier in the thread?

Our signs in that situation say, for example, "SPEED LIMIT 50 MPH AHEAD." That way, it actually has some meaning for motorists. Signs like "SLOW" or, my personal favorite, "ADELANTE," don't confer concise, precise information, and force the motorist to think or, worse yet, to ignore the sign altogether.

quote:

My own road idiosyncrasy to contribute isn't as interesting as some others, but here goes. This is where two grade-separated, divided highways terminate, together, into a T-intersection with a stop sign. It actually works for now because there is almost no traffic on either of them that far north. I suspect it's just a placeholder until any development actually pushes traffic through there. The unholy confusion of street names that Google has assigned to the remainder of Tisdale before 36th North is amusing. Zoom in and you'll see it called "Harvard Avenue" (a couple miles off), "Sheridan Avenue" (another mile further off), and "N Tisdalenb Pw" and "N Tisdalesb Pw".

This is why I got laughed at when I tried to get the guys in Planning to make their GIS overlays available on Google Earth. You can't use it for anything official; even the route numbers are wrong sometimes.

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005
I just saw this and thought that maybe it would be better to take down the random stop signs rather than legitimizing someones armchair traffic engineering.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kaine posted:

I just saw this and thought that maybe it would be better to take down the random stop signs rather than legitimizing someones armchair traffic engineering.

If the image in the article is an actual picture of the rogue stop signs, it's pretty easy to tell it's not an official one.

versus

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

less than three posted:

If the image in the article is an actual picture of the rogue stop signs, it's pretty easy to tell it's not an official one.

versus

Haha, it's in Cranston. I'm not particularly surprised. The font on that one is too short, and the reflective border is too wide. I'd be willing to bed that the sign material isn't the right sheeting type, either, and doesn't meet retroreflectivity and legibility standards.

But hey, I've seen green stop signs, and ones with different shapes, around here. Private developers just put up whatever they like. Thanks to the 2009 MUTCD, they're liable for those shortcomings, but it will take a few years before they realize it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I don't think that's an actual picture of one; that's been one of the top 5 images on google image search for most of the decade.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

What's the deal with 2-phase intersections? For reference, see this Powerpoint slide that you've probably seen tons of times before. Are these the real deal, or just some crazy hoopla about nothing? There's a video that comes up in the Google search for the term that shows one in operation, but it looks more complicated than the tower of Hanoi.

Also, for the longest time, my university had an issue with traffic bunching up on a left-hand turn from the parking lots onto the main street. An engineering student had suggested that an alternate form of a left-hand turn be installed to traffic flow. (We got this in a quarterly suggestion box report email a few years back.) It had a memorable acronym that escapes me, but I would live to remember what it was. Would you have any ideas on what this could have been?

Your posts are awesome! I'm learning so much!
\

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

What's the deal with 2-phase intersections? For reference, see this Powerpoint slide that you've probably seen tons of times before. Are these the real deal, or just some crazy hoopla about nothing? There's a video that comes up in the Google search for the term that shows one in operation, but it looks more complicated than the tower of Hanoi.

That's a Continuous-Flow Intersection, usually called CFI. Like most things, it looks more complicated from the air than from the driver's seat. Basically, it turns one intersection into three. All the same conflict points are there, but since they're spread out, it gives drivers less to watch out for.

quote:

Also, for the longest time, my university had an issue with traffic bunching up on a left-hand turn from the parking lots onto the main street. An engineering student had suggested that an alternate form of a left-hand turn be installed to traffic flow. (We got this in a quarterly suggestion box report email a few years back.) It had a memorable acronym that escapes me, but I would live to remember what it was. Would you have any ideas on what this could have been?

Your posts are awesome! I'm learning so much!
\

I'm not sure what exactly that would be. Do you have a more detailed description of it, or a picture?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

So it'd be a bit like TTD, in which all of the origins and destinations are already there, and you just connect them and try to maximize profit.

The pre-built roads should help realism and vehicle routing, at least. It's coming out right around my birthday, too, so I can put it on my wish list! Awesome.

A beta preview article has been written here.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I had the marvelous privilege of driving down to Bridgeport and Norwalk today to do some sign support inspection. I wasn't about to bring my DSLR to Bridgeport, so some lousy phone photos will have to do.

Obligatory artsy shot. It was COLD without a hat.

This sign, like most signs near Bridgeport, had more than a dozen bullet holes.

I've got big balls nuts! Twelve of these anchor bolts hold up a sign support for a single overhead sign.

I get to go out again later this week or the next, hopefully when it's a bit less windy.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Cichlidae posted:

I'm not sure what exactly that would be. Do you have a more detailed description of it, or a picture?

I guess my question is what can be done to deal with a left-turn at a T-shaped intersection that's chronically congested (where the top horizontal of the T is the main street).

I've seen semi-intersections on main street that make a left-turn possible by turning it into a right turn, almost like the opposite of a Michigan left.

Here is one under construction in Toronto. The predominant traffic flow follows the blue line up towards the top of the image. Those wishing to turn left onto that road that's under construction get into the right lane, get into that mini-intersection and wait for the traffic light to change. Is there a specific name for these?

Edit: forgive my epic vector art skills

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

I guess my question is what can be done to deal with a left-turn at a T-shaped intersection that's chronically congested (where the top horizontal of the T is the main street).

I've seen semi-intersections on main street that make a left-turn possible by turning it into a right turn, almost like the opposite of a Michigan left.

Here is one under construction in Toronto. The predominant traffic flow follows the blue line up towards the top of the image. Those wishing to turn left onto that road that's under construction get into the right lane, get into that mini-intersection and wait for the traffic light to change. Is there a specific name for these?

Edit: forgive my epic vector art skills

That's a jughandle. They were invented in New Jersey, and can be found all over that state. There are a few different varieties, too, but the one pictured is the most common.

Edit: Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughandle

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 21, 2010

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

I get to go out again later this week or the next, hopefully when it's a bit less windy.
If you're going down to Norwalk, be sure to check out the rebuilt I95 exit 24/Black Rock Turnpike/Post Road intersection that I've complained about so many times on your way. It's down to only 95% of the clusterfuck that it was, lovely drivers still ruin everything for everyone, and they're putting up three more sets of lights.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Cichlidae posted:

Sorry for the double post, but if anyone here lives in the Middletown area, I'm going to be doing a public info meeting tomorrow (Tuesday) at City Hall. We're going to be replacing the stringers on the Arrigoni Bridge, so there will be some pretty major traffic impacts. Fortunately, I know just what to say: "People will be spending more time in Middletown!"

What exactly are the stringers on this bridge? Are they the heavy cables that hang from the arches and support the roadway? When I was in Middletown on Thanksgiving, I noticed that the electronic lane markers I mentioned earlier in the thread were operational. I hadn't been in town for awhile, so I'm sure they have been for some time. Will these be utilized during construction? When is construction estimated to begin?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

porkfriedrice posted:

What exactly are the stringers on this bridge?

The cables are attached to the floor beams, which aren't in the best shape, either. It's entirely possible that, once we remove the stringers, we'll need to reinforce or replace the floor beams as well. The cost (20M+) and duration (2-3 years) are already skyrocketing, and it's only going to get worse as we consider more and more work. The alternative is that we tear up our brand new bridge deck and stringers in 10 years to replace the rotting floor beams, and that's just a huge waste of money.

quote:

When I was in Middletown on Thanksgiving, I noticed that the electronic lane markers I mentioned earlier in the thread were operational. I hadn't been in town for awhile, so I'm sure they have been for some time. Will these be utilized during construction?

They're operational, but they can't change from X to arrows. The two on the right are always arrows, and the two on the left are always X. Pretty dumb, huh? That's because the Middletown police didn't want to be responsible for changing them back and forth, so we bought the cheapest kind. The most we can do during construction is to turn them off when they don't apply.

quote:

When is construction estimated to begin?

Spring 2011. The beginning of construction will coincide with some work on the Portland streetscape (also my project), but the contractors are required to coordinate their lane closures to make things easier for commuters. Traffic is going to suck really badly (pessimistic projections show 5-mile queues in the morning, though that is worst-case) for 2-3 seasons. If construction gets stretched out past 2012, then it'll coincide with construction work on the Putnam bridge, which is the nearest available crossing. If that happens, well, life is REALLY going to suck.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cichlidae posted:

The cables are attached to the floor beams, which aren't in the best shape, either. It's entirely possible that, once we remove the stringers, we'll need to reinforce or replace the floor beams as well. The cost (20M+) and duration (2-3 years) are already skyrocketing, and it's only going to get worse as we consider more and more work. The alternative is that we tear up our brand new bridge deck and stringers in 10 years to replace the rotting floor beams, and that's just a huge waste of money.
At least it's in better shape than the other bridge in your photo...

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

At least it's in better shape than the other bridge in your photo...

Most rail bridges in the state are privately maintained, which means they do the absolute minimum to keep them working.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Saw an interesting interchange in Asheville, NC the other day:

It's a three-level diamond with a couple of bonus oddities; the on-ramp from 70 eastbound to I-240 westbound (heading northward in this section) intersects with the 70 westbound to I-240 westbound ramp via a separate T-intersection with a stop sign rather than connecting directly to it at the signal (which means you have to go through three traffic signals and a stop sign to make that "turn", while 70 westbound to I-240 westbound gets to skip the signals entirely), and the off-ramp from I-240 to 70 westbound actually becomes a new road (Haw Creek Lane) and intersects with 70 at a normal intersection instead of a merge (which also means going I-240 westbound to 70 westbound sends you through four traffic signals :v: ).

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

dennyk posted:

Saw an interesting interchange in Asheville, NC the other day:

It's a three-level diamond with a couple of bonus oddities; the on-ramp from 70 eastbound to I-240 westbound (heading northward in this section) intersects with the 70 westbound to I-240 westbound ramp via a separate T-intersection with a stop sign rather than connecting directly to it at the signal (which means you have to go through three traffic signals and a stop sign to make that "turn", while 70 westbound to I-240 westbound gets to skip the signals entirely), and the off-ramp from I-240 to 70 westbound actually becomes a new road (Haw Creek Lane) and intersects with 70 at a normal intersection instead of a merge (which also means going I-240 westbound to 70 westbound sends you through four traffic signals :v: ).

That move from 70 WB to I-240 WB looks extremely heavy. They get two freeflow lanes, that become lane adds on the interstate. Still, a stop sign entrance onto a two-lane freeflow, basically a freeway at that point, seems rather dangerous. Given the volume that interchange is built for, I'm surprised they didn't just go with a stack, or at least a parclo, and eliminate the signals and stop signs altogether.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Here's one near my house that I love.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&ll=35.761827,-78.745258&spn=0.007496,0.016512&t=h&z=17

That intersection of Walnut and Buck Jones (can you tell this is the south?) used to be a five-way intersection. Walnut would go two ways, Buck Jones would go one way, the onramp to US1/64 would go one way and the exit ramp would come in one way. Being right next to the highway you could understand if it made a lot of slowdowns when there was an accident which was often. So they moved that onramp to go on the other side of those businesses and split up the exits so that you can't get anywhere conveniently with them. I suppose it's the best they could do under the circumstances?

And then there's this: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&ll=34.774515,-82.463384&spn=0.001897,0.004128&t=h&z=19

:)

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Vino posted:

Here's one near my house that I love.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&ll=35.761827,-78.745258&spn=0.007496,0.016512&t=h&z=17

That intersection of Walnut and Buck Jones (can you tell this is the south?) used to be a five-way intersection. Walnut would go two ways, Buck Jones would go one way, the onramp to US1/64 would go one way and the exit ramp would come in one way. Being right next to the highway you could understand if it made a lot of slowdowns when there was an accident which was often. So they moved that onramp to go on the other side of those businesses and split up the exits so that you can't get anywhere conveniently with them. I suppose it's the best they could do under the circumstances?

Honestly, it's not all that bad, given the situation. Get rid of the ramp to Buck Jones Road and it's a pretty simple parclo. Give it a few more years and people will get used to the new arrangement.

Can you see that from the road? Street View is messed up there, so I can't see for myself.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Yes you can, I saw it myself driving down to Pensacola once. Or I suppose I saw it on the way back up. Makes me wonder what kind of town meeting produced it.

The intersection isn't so bad once you realize that in order to go west on Walnut you have to go past it and take the next exit since 101B will put you going the wrong way on Buck Jones, but I can't tell you how many people miss that and turn an immediate left through that shopping center, which I think kinda defeats the purpose. The problem is exacerbated a bit by the fact that US1/64 splits into three sections and if you miss that split (which happens way up before I-40) then there's no way off at the 101 exits.

But maybe that's just me being :qq: Like you said, once you get used to it, it's not so bad.

Major Tom
Dec 14, 2008
I thought some of the people reading this thread would like this:

http://www.greenvillebridge.com/index.htm

The new Mississippi River crossing at Greenville, MS. Driving on it was pretty sweet; it replaces (visible a couple places on the site) a 1940 two-lane bridge which would be normal to drive IMO except it's over the drat Mississippi. The older bridge hasn't come down yet and it looked like it might even still be open although we didn't try it.

The next further up Mississippi crossing (still two-lane) is 100 miles north at Helena, AR. Eventually I-69 (so by eventually I mean decades out) is meant to cross the river somewhere in between, IIRC.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Major Tom posted:

I thought some of the people reading this thread would like this:

http://www.greenvillebridge.com/index.htm

The new Mississippi River crossing at Greenville, MS. Driving on it was pretty sweet; it replaces (visible a couple places on the site) a 1940 two-lane bridge which would be normal to drive IMO except it's over the drat Mississippi. The older bridge hasn't come down yet and it looked like it might even still be open although we didn't try it.

The next further up Mississippi crossing (still two-lane) is 100 miles north at Helena, AR. Eventually I-69 (so by eventually I mean decades out) is meant to cross the river somewhere in between, IIRC.

Further proof that civil engineers don't make great web designers: their biggest wallpaper is 1280X1024 and is in .bmp format. Beautiful bridge, by the way. I'm a sucker for cable-stayed spans.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
OP has one of your signals ever hosed up where it displays a green signal to all intersecting roads

was there carnage

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Millstone posted:

OP has one of your signals ever hosed up where it displays a green signal to all intersecting roads

Not a traffic engineer, but I believe pretty much every signal in the US has a conflict monitor. Basically, if the controller tries to do something stupid like that, the monitor says :wtf: and sets the signals to flashing red.

OP, last year a major intersection nearby got converted to a "Median Left Turn" (the media has been calling it a Michigan left turn), details here. The city claims it should reduce collisions and congestion - however, now instead of traffic backing up on Legacy during rush hour, the left and middle lanes of Preston (3 lanes each way) back up. Also seen several people ignore the no left turn signs on Legacy and make a left turn anyway, and seen a few accidents as a result. Preston is a busy road and considered a state highway, and has a higher speed limit (45 south of Legacy, 55 north of). Legacy is fairly busy, but nothing like Preston.

Thoughts?

edit: vvvv The current "solution" didn't require shutting down the intersection, and only required briefly closing one lane of Preston so they could make the median cuts. Ramps would require a lot more time/money/work. My guess, anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 2, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

some texas redneck posted:

OP, last year a major intersection nearby got converted to a "Median Left Turn" (the media has been calling it a Michigan left turn), details here. The city claims it should reduce collisions and congestion - however, now instead of traffic backing up on Legacy during rush hour, the left and middle lanes of Preston (3 lanes each way) back up. Also seen several people ignore the no left turn signs and make a left turn anyway, and seen a few accidents as a result. Preston is a busy road and considered a state highway, Legacy is fairly busy, but nothing like Preston.

Thoughts?
If the situation is that bad, why not just build left-turn ramps and take the traffic out of the intersection completely?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Do the conflict monitors do anything about a signal showing all red?

Or what about a signal that refuses to change, showing green N-S and red E-W for about three days. I called the cops about that signal, they replied "Yeah, we are aware of that situation." Thanks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

This is a good, efficient, well-thought-out intersection. The brilliance really shines through if you go through as much of it as is available in Street View.

I used to live on East Ave about a block south of there in those brick apartments. That intersection is a disaster. Ugh.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

OP, last year a major intersection nearby got converted to a "Median Left Turn" (the media has been calling it a Michigan left turn), details here.

Is there only one turn lane on each side? Here in Michigan, our divided roads generally have U-turn lanes every few hundred feet. I don't know if that would really relieve the congestion much but it seems like it might.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Millstone posted:

was there carnage

Naw, the conflict monitor prevents that. I've seen signals thrown into flashing operation from a malfunction, and occasionally cause some weird phasing when I'm fooling around with the controller in the field, but usually that just involves bringing in the ped phase every cycle, keeping the artery red for a minute or two, or the like. Pretty harmless.

Thoughts?

The first installation of a new kind of traffic pattern will often cause problems until people figure it out. Part of that is because the engineers don't know how to design it; the design can't just be copied from another state, it has to be adjusted to local driving patterns and expectations. I can't judge much from the not-to-scale diagram, but it looks like the 2 U-turn lanes at the intersection itself could easily be cut or moved back to reduce some weaving conflicts. There's probably not enough room between the intersection and the U-turn slots to allow proper weaving, either due to volumes or lack of driver aggressiveness. The intersection should be channelized to prohibit direct left turns as much as possible, though only constant enforcement will really solve that problem for good.

grover posted:

If the situation is that bad, why not just build left-turn ramps and take the traffic out of the intersection completely?

$$$$$. At that point, they'd probably be better off building an overpass and making a diamond interchange. It allows U-turns on the artery, too!

Guy Axelrod posted:

Do the conflict monitors do anything about a signal showing all red?

Or what about a signal that refuses to change, showing green N-S and red E-W for about three days. I called the cops about that signal, they replied "Yeah, we are aware of that situation." Thanks.

Naw, it really doesn't prevent that. We pretty much rely on motorists to report that, and then send out a cop to direct traffic short-term (if it's an important intersection) while we wait for a field tech. Connecticut has maintenance levels from 1 (24-hour) to 5 (whenever we get around to it) for each signal.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Is there only one turn lane on each side? Here in Michigan, our divided roads generally have U-turn lanes every few hundred feet. I don't know if that would really relieve the congestion much but it seems like it might.

It might help a bit, but I'd wager that the main problem there is a lack of familiarity. I'm not going to bet on whether people will get used to it by the time the DOT decides that it's caused enough trouble and reverts to the previous configuration, though...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cichlidae posted:

I can't judge much from the not-to-scale diagram, but it looks like the 2 U-turn lanes at the intersection itself could easily be cut or moved back to reduce some weaving conflicts. There's probably not enough room between the intersection and the U-turn slots to allow proper weaving, either due to volumes or lack of driver aggressiveness.

Naw, it really doesn't prevent that. We pretty much rely on motorists to report that, and then send out a cop to direct traffic short-term (if it's an important intersection) while we wait for a field tech. Connecticut has maintenance levels from 1 (24-hour) to 5 (whenever we get around to it) for each signal.

Crummy diagram, you nailed it though - just not enough room, and you have to keep to the outside lane during right turns here to stay legal. Most take the turn wide. Those that don't, wind up in the middle lane trying to squeeze in and thus creating a hazard in the middle lane.

I've only called in a signal once, but it had been short cycling for over a week. The main road would get a green only long enough for 2-3 cars to get through, then the side road would get a 1-2 minute green. It took me nearly 20 minutes to travel 1/4 mile because of that light one day.

I called it in late at night (1am or so?), and the person I spoke to said nobody had reported it yet (wtf? after a week?). About 30-45 min later I went to 7-11 and the light was back to normal. I don't see how anyone could have made it all the way out there and fixed it in that short amount of time... so, remote admin of some kind? I just called 311 to report it.

I did see something mildly amusing one day - pretty typical 4 way intersection on a busy road, and I was going north. All green lights on the northbound pole, except one also had the yellow lit. Stayed lit after it changed to red. Any idea what could cause that?

(sorry, I have an unhealthy interest in anything electrical)

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Crummy diagram, you nailed it though - just not enough room, and you have to keep to the outside lane during right turns here to stay legal. Most take the turn wide. Those that don't, wind up in the middle lane trying to squeeze in and thus creating a hazard in the middle lane.

I've only called in a signal once, but it had been short cycling for over a week. The main road would get a green only long enough for 2-3 cars to get through, then the side road would get a 1-2 minute green. It took me nearly 20 minutes to travel 1/4 mile because of that light one day.

I called it in late at night (1am or so?), and the person I spoke to said nobody had reported it yet (wtf? after a week?). About 30-45 min later I went to 7-11 and the light was back to normal. I don't see how anyone could have made it all the way out there and fixed it in that short amount of time... so, remote admin of some kind? I just called 311 to report it.

A lot of signals are connected to a central office that can change timings on the fly. It probably got changed for a special event, and then nobody changed it back. Could have just been a broken loop, and they remotely set the phase on min recall.

quote:

I did see something mildly amusing one day - pretty typical 4 way intersection on a busy road, and I was going north. All green lights on the northbound pole, except one also had the yellow lit. Stayed lit after it changed to red. Any idea what could cause that?

(sorry, I have an unhealthy interest in anything electrical)

If you're sure it wasn't a stray reflection, then it could've been a short... not very likely, though. Maybe the neutral wire was actually live? The conflict monitor obviously didn't catch it, or the signal would be in flash.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I swear some weird stuff used to happen at this one light on my way back from work. Periodically, it would show a yellow arrow at the same time as a green arrow. I could never be sure what I was looking at, though, because I'd usually make that turn at night, and I was preoccupied with getting home, so I didn't pay that close attention.

It was only after I cleared the light that I'd think, "Oh wait, yeah, that was weird."

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
How do traffic congestion sensors work, and why does google maps' traffic suck so bad? I don't know why I even bother; it's never anywhere close to right.

When one lane is backed up for an exit, but the outside lanes are still moving at highway speeds, does that display red or green?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

How do traffic congestion sensors work, and why does google maps' traffic suck so bad? I don't know why I even bother; it's never anywhere close to right.

Certain companies set up speed detectors every mile or so on major routes, solar-powered, and collect information on speeds and occupancies, usually on a per-lane basis. They sell this data to DOTs and other private companies on a subscription basis. They predict traffic flow by measuring that speed; if it's above a certain amount, they color it green. Below, it's yellow or red. Unfortunately, some roads are slower by their nature, and show up as red even when they're flowing freely. Others show as green when they're at LOS D/E, right about to break down. Sometimes there's no cars around, and some guy creeps past at 20 mph; that icon will be red until more come.

quote:

When one lane is backed up for an exit, but the outside lanes are still moving at highway speeds, does that display red or green?

That'd be something to ask Google. When I worked in the TMC, we got different speed reports for each lane, and could use it to track which lanes were backing up and find the cause of congestion. I suppose either Google doesn't pay enough for that info, or more likely, it only offers it to people who pay THEM.

So, how do they figure it out? I'd guess they use the minimum speed, but for all I know, it could be the average across the lanes.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Well, today was a Field Trip! I know (hope) you guys like these. Once again, I didn't take my DSLR, so you'll have to live with the somewhat-less-than-beautiful photos.

Today's destination: Mystic.

Mystic is a little seaside village, split between Groton and Stonington. It's the kind of town that tourists love. Beautiful old whaling boats turned into museums, a large aquarium, scenic vistas over Long Island Sound, a quaint downtown filled with artisan shops, and, of course, Mystic Pizza.

But we're not here for the scenery. U.S. Route 1 crosses the Mystic River on an old drawbridge. Such things tend to require pretty regular maintenance, and for this project, we need to put up an alternating one-way section over the bridge. Thus, a temporary signal was installed.

This signal has a few things I haven't talked about before, so now's the time! First off, I know the image quality sucks, but do you see that speaker-like thing hanging from the span wire? That's a detector for audio pre-emption. It will pick up a fire engine's "wail" at around 110 dB as it comes down the road. The thing has a baffle on the top, so it's mostly directional. Of course, we had a fire engine come down the road with his siren on to test it, then promptly turn it off when he got to the bridge. People were quite confused.

What's this hockey-puck looking thing embedded in the asphalt? It's a vehicle detector! Nobody present had seen one of these before, so the electrical contractor was kind enough to explain how it works. The little puck is only a couple inches thick, so it can be put into any kind of pavement. It's wireless, containing a battery that's supposed to last the life of the detector.

The detector communicates wirelessly with a small gray box up on a nearby span pole. This box can (and does) handle multiple detectors on multiple approaches, some hundreds of feet away. Very nifty.

With three adjacent projects ongoing, we turned on the signal briefly to make sure everything works. It doesn't, actually. It doesn't work at all like it's supposed to. Someone will have to fix that before it gets used Friday.

Speaking of those other projects, we inspected a couple streetscape projects. One of the contractors obviously has no idea how signs work.

Signs taped to utility poles.

Backward breakaway posts.

Posts spliced to other posts 8 feet in the air.

Posts unburied and attached to utility poles with florist's wire.

Well, on the way home, we stopped at an overhead sign support to do some surveying.

Nothing like racing across 4 lanes of I-95 traffic holding a 15-foot pole, right? I'm a total beast with a lock level, though.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

That'd be something to ask Google. When I worked in the TMC, we got different speed reports for each lane, and could use it to track which lanes were backing up and find the cause of congestion. I suppose either Google doesn't pay enough for that info, or more likely, it only offers it to people who pay THEM.
Google crowdsources its traffic data. If you have a smartphone with GPS and Google Maps installed, you've already opted in to submit anonymous data for traffic analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Leo Spaceman
Jul 4, 2009

Boy, it's crazy to think we used to settle questions of paternity by dunking a woman in water until she admitted she made it all up.
i'm sure you have anwsered these questions before but..

What does it mean when a regular street light is flashing red, and why does this happen?

What kind of schooling does this require is it a school of engineering which requires physics and such?