Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Doppelganger posted:

Is there an actual origin to "no respect" or is it just a generic attitude?
Rodney Dangerfield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Private Snowball posted:

4.) Joe Webb was drafted in the 6th round and my friend said that was also the round Tom Brady was drafted. Is it because of the huge college system that the draft can be so good still in later rounds or are there just surprises? Are 1st round draft picks always good and NFL ready? Is there a certain number of years a rookie has to wait until they are ready? Suh was taken this year and he seemed pretty dominant on the field and with the fans affection.

It varies by position. QBs in particular are almost always crapshoots no matter when they're taken. 1st round QBs are guys with great measurables, great college careers, and are taken by teams desperate for a QB. There's nothing close to a guarantee that that will translate. Go look up Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. It's like buying a lottery ticket.

There's busts and late-round surprises at every position, but much less so. Suh, as a DT, was at a position where it was much easier to determine whether his skills and success in college would translate to the NFL. It was basically assumed that he would be great. He might have been a bust, but the chance was so small as to not even be considered by most scouts.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
Is PFF the only place to find detailed DB/Safety stats for the season?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Dominion posted:

It varies by position. QBs in particular are almost always crapshoots no matter when they're taken. 1st round QBs are guys with great measurables, great college careers, and are taken by teams desperate for a QB. There's nothing close to a guarantee that that will translate. Go look up Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf. It's like buying a lottery ticket.

There's busts and late-round surprises at every position, but much less so. Suh, as a DT, was at a position where it was much easier to determine whether his skills and success in college would translate to the NFL. It was basically assumed that he would be great. He might have been a bust, but the chance was so small as to not even be considered by most scouts.

As far as Leaf goes, you could have made a sound argument that he was a much weaker prospect than Peyton based on college stats. Leaf was 53% in his career for completions and Manning was 63% and they both had pretty similar YPA. Manning also played 3 full seasons as the starting QB where as Leaf declared early. Manning's numbers are consistent while trending upward whereas Leaf really only had one monster year and then declared. But he had great size and arm strength so...

e:Also, I'm not sure I'd say it's much easier to assess dlinemen as opposed to quaterbacks. Every year there are can't miss guys who dominate in college and are either complete failures in the NFL or never come close to producing what was expected of them. Suh was a slight degree safer because he was above average even for elite level players of his position.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 6, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Private Snowball posted:

1.) I found the fans to be lacking. I always assumed that an NFL game would be loud and fans crazy like what I see on tv, but they seemed pretty calm. I was sitting behind the Vikings bench because my friend who got the tickets is a fan of them so I may have been too removed from the Lions fans. He also said it probably was because the game was meaningless and neither team was going to the playoffs. Was this game more quiet than usual or are Lions fans just not that hyper? Is every game a sellout? I could see some empty seats though not sure if they were part of the boxes.

Depends more on the fans than anything else I think. My first (and only) game was at a Packers vs Bears game in 1998. Last game of the season and Reggie Whites last game with the Packers. Neither team was expected to go anywhere, but the Packers had a slim chance for the wild card, but they assumed it was Reggies final game and had this big ceremony after the game at Soldier Field for him. It was loving crazy. Being a Packer fan watching them stomp the Bears in Soldier Field was one of my top ten experiences. I had no voice at the end of the game. People were going nuts. I took my dad as a Christmas present, we had 10th row tickets at the 50 yard line. We didn't know the seating started at the 10th row back then.

Somehow they did get into the wild card playoff after that and ended up losing.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Good Will Punting posted:

Is PFF the only place to find detailed DB/Safety stats for the season?
It's the only one I'm aware of.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
What are those fanny-pack things for, just to keep their hands warm?

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

Doppelganger posted:

It's where Matt Ryan keeps his crystal meth

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Doppelganger posted:

That is their exact purpose. This is why they're called hand-warmers.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

This is a QB scouting baseline used by scouts in the NFL, college and high school

• Drop quickness and balance
• Set up quickness and positioning
• Release quickness
• Accuracy: short, medium and long-direction, positioning, velocity and catchability of the ball.
• Judgement and decision making
• Field Vision: quick,decisive and accurate reads. Going through progressive read options correctly.
• Poise: leadership skills, handling pressure and moving the team.
• Ball handling: selling the play action fake, smooth effort with eyes positioned downfield.
• Timing: throwing on rhythm and to pre-determined spots on time.
• Delivery: quickness and positioning of release.
• Follow through: does he finish across his body?
• Avoiding the rush: making defenders miss in the pocket.
• Escape: moving the pocket effectively to avoid pressure.
• Scrambling: ability to run and pick up positive yardage.
• Rollout passing to the right and left: can he throw accurately and with velocity without having to set his feet. Does he have arm and hip flexibility to throw the ball across his body if he is a left handed quarterback?
• Arm strength: ability to throw all routes and the ability to throw with just his arm without having to muscle the ball with his body.
• Zip: velocity and tightness of the spiral.
• Touch, timing and positioning: on screen passes and swing passes
• Effectiveness on: short out routes, deep out routes, go routes, post routes and corner routes

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
Sorry if this is a totally dumb question, but why are QBs in both NCAA and NFL permitted to "throw it away" out of bounds, while intentional grounding is a penalty? It seems to me that in both cases the point is the same, for a QB in trouble to get rid of the ball with no chance of it being intercepted and thus avoid loss of yards from a sack. I'm sure I'm missing something though.

seacat fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 11, 2011

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

McKracken posted:

That is their exact purpose. This is why they're called hand-warmers.
I knew that, which is why I called them "fanny pack things".

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

antwizzle posted:

Sorry if this is a totally dumb question, but why are QBs in both NCAA and NFL permitted to "throw it away" out of bounds, while intentional grounding is a penalty? It seems to me that in both cases the point is the same, for a QB in trouble to get rid of the ball with no chance of it being intercepted and thus avoid loss of yards from a sack. I'm sure I'm missing something though.

For it to not be intentional grounding, the QB has to be outside of the tackle box, and the pass must go beyond the line of scrimmage.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilly McFreeze posted:

For it to not be intentional grounding, the QB has to be outside of the tackle box, and the pass must go beyond the line of scrimmage.

And if the QB is not being pressured by a defender. (A lot of people forget / don't know about this part of it).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Is intentional grounding the only penalty which makes the offence lose both yards and a down?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

antwizzle posted:

This isn't a dumb question, it's just a dumb rule. I hate it as a QB bootleg is nearly impossible to actually sack if the QB doesn't have his head up his rear end.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Is intentional grounding the only penalty which makes the offence lose both yards and a down?

Illegal forward pass also has a loss of down.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The logic behind grounding only applying when the QB is under pressure is that the offense gains absolutely no advantage by choosing to waste a down, as long as it's not done to avoid an immediate loss of yardage.

Tekopo posted:

There's quite a few, but they're all far more obscure. NFL only has one other, which is for an illegal forward pass or handoff (5 yards from the spot of the foul and loss of down). NCAA adds interlocking interference and assisting the runner to that category, and also has 15 yards and loss of down for illegally kicking or batting a loose ball, all of which in the NFL are 10 yards with no loss of down. Additionally and IIRC, in high school rules, offensive pass interference is 15 yards from the previous spot and loss of down, but don't quote me on that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tekopo posted:

In this case it makes sense, as the penalty is the equivalent of the QB being sacked.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Couldn't you use the same rationale for something like defensive holding, though, or is the only difference that during intentional grounding the QB is certain to be sacked while it's not clear if holding prevented the sack or not.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trin Tragula posted:

The logic behind grounding only applying when the QB is under pressure is that the offense gains absolutely no advantage by choosing to waste a down, as long as it's not done to avoid an immediate loss of yardage.

There's quite a few, but they're all far more obscure. NFL only has one other, which is for an illegal forward pass or handoff (5 yards from the spot of the foul and loss of down). NCAA adds interlocking interference and assisting the runner to that category, and also has 15 yards and loss of down for illegally kicking or batting a loose ball, all of which in the NFL are 10 yards with no loss of down. Additionally and IIRC, in high school rules, offensive pass interference is 15 yards from the previous spot and loss of down, but don't quote me on that.

What is "assisting the runner"?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dominion posted:

What is "assisting the runner"?

Pushing, pulling, boosting up, or even picking him up and throwing him over a pile to help him gain yardage that he wouldn't be able to gain on his own.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Deteriorata posted:

Pushing, pulling, boosting up, or even picking him up and throwing him over a pile to help him gain yardage that he wouldn't be able to gain on his own.

You can't push the runner? People do that all the time, especially on QB sneaks.

The Bush Push was illegal?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dominion posted:

You can't push the runner? People do that all the time, especially on QB sneaks.

The Bush Push was indeed illegal. Nobody ever calls it, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dominion posted:

Technically, no, but it's almost never called unless it's egregious. Linemen will claim they were trying to block but in the mass of bodies ended up pushing the runner by mistake (true or not), so refs tend to let a lot of minor stuff go. Sort of like holding calls.

Now if somebody makes a stirrup out of their hands so the runner can leap up and over the line to get a first down or a lineman puts a RB on his shoulders and carries him down the field, it'll get called every time.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Deteriorata posted:

Technically, no, but it's almost never called unless it's egregious. Linemen will claim they were trying to block but in the mass of bodies ended up pushing the runner by mistake (true or not), so refs tend to let a lot of minor stuff go. Sort of like holding calls.

Now if somebody makes a stirrup out of their hands so the runner can leap up and over the line to get a first down or a lineman puts a RB on his shoulders and carries him down the field, it'll get called every time.

Is this also illegal in the NFL?

Does the helper have to be "active"? Or would it be legal for Joe Webb to run up his center's back and vault over the line?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Dominion posted:

Does the helper have to be "active"? Or would it be legal for Joe Webb to run up his center's back and vault over the line?

I know that this is illegal on defense. I think I remember a game a few years ago where the Bucs (?*) blocked a kick but they were called for "Leaping" when the guy who blocked the kick had used the NT as a boost and jumped up off his back.

Offense I have no idea, but I have to imagine there's a similar rule.

*May have been the Eagles. I really don't remember.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I know that this is illegal on defense. I think I remember a game a few years ago where the Bucs (?) blocked a kick but they were called for "Leaping" when the guy who blocked the kick had used the NT as a boost and jumped up off his back.

I think it's only explicitly illegal when blocking a kick.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The penalty is called "leverage" in the NFL and I believe "vaulting" (as of a few years ago) by the NCAA. It's illegal all the time but essentially never comes up except on kick blocks.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
Is there an official statement on why personal fouls (like the one on Oregon in the 4th quarter last night) are never shown on the replay? Is there any way for me to find out what happened in that instance or in any other instance of a personal foul?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Is there an official statement on why personal fouls (like the one on Oregon in the 4th quarter last night) are never shown on the replay? Is there any way for me to find out what happened in that instance or in any other instance of a personal foul?

In the NFL they are shown all the time. The Haynesworth headstomp was practically on a 24-hour loop.

Now that I think of it I saw the Blount punch over and over too, so the NCAA doesn't have an explicit rule against it. Last night it may have just been that none of the cameras got a good shot of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was reading an article and it mentioned that the Dolphins were given permission to talk to the Cowboys' QB or WR coordinator the other day. However, that person in question doesn't have a contract presently for next season. Is there a reason why the Dolphins would have to ask permission if a coach is no longer under contract? Seems a bit odd.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was reading an article and it mentioned that the Dolphins were given permission to talk to the Cowboys' QB or WR coordinator the other day. However, that person in question doesn't have a contract presently for next season. Is there a reason why the Dolphins would have to ask permission if a coach is no longer under contract? Seems a bit odd.

I would imagine it's because his contract extends until some specified point in the offseason, rather than just whenever the Cowboys' season is over. So right now, today, he's still under contract.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

There isn't one, they showed the "excessive celebration" salute by K State and other things like that a lot. I think that was just the broadcast not having enough time (after they talk about stuff none of us want to hear for a while) before going to commercial or the next play. In the same game they replayed Fairley's personal foul once or twice for instance.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Broadcasters are often pretty poo poo at showing interesting replays and ESPN are absolutely the worst. There was an incident in the second quarter where Auburn #32 appeared to possibly be trying to literally kick someone up the arse and I'd love to know if he should have been ejected for it, except ESPN only bothered to show one replay of it and he wasn't even the focus of it, so you can't actually see properly what was going on.

Assisting the runner and interlocking interference are difficult calls to make because it's perfectly legal to push the pile, and that's all I see from the Bush Push, incidentally - he comes in looking to push the pile, the QB spins away to go somewhere else at exactly the wrong moment, they chip each other, and then the QB falls over the line. This is assisting the runner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHjWzKqGmL8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blUMSJCYXzA

They're two of the oldest rules in the book and two of the most important and influential - they were created in the 1900s to ban the kind of mass-momentum plays that had hundreds of players dying on the field and the President threatening to ban the sport unless it could be made safer.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so this seems like a good place to ask. How much do you guys think a football signed by most of the 2001 patriots would sell for? I think most of the team is on it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

deadkiller615 posted:

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so this seems like a good place to ask. How much do you guys think a football signed by most of the 2001 patriots would sell for? I think most of the team is on it.

This depends on a lot of stuff, such as:

- How many signatures it's missing
- Which signatures it's missing
- What type of ball it is
- What condition the ball and the signatures are in
- Whether it's authenticated already or can pass PSA/DNA or JSA

There also isn't a lot of 2001 Patriots team-signed stuff out there so it's hard to give realized prices. A Duke football with 50 signatures in 9-10 condition, authenticated by a top company, would probably go for $1500-2000 at auction. A commemorative football with 20 autographs, not including Brady, in worse shape would go for a couple hundred. And different variations could go anywhere in between. A commemorative ball with 33 autographs including Brady that was in okay shape went for $428 in an AMI auction about a year ago; if I had to guess that's probably pretty close to what your ball is, but if you want to post some pictures I can probably help some more.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
How much is the Steelers Super Bowl XLIII ball I got with my SI subscription worth?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

How much is the Steelers Super Bowl XLIII ball I got with my SI subscription worth?

Around $20-30 unsigned. The SI balls are cool looking though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I know, that's why I got the subscription.

It has signatures - printed on it.

• Locked thread