Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yay a new strip! And there you go, he HAD a brain problem, mystery solved! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'm so relieved it was a brain problem, and not just him being lazy.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Radio Sally looks like my dog. :(

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Hillridge posted:

I'm so relieved it was a brain problem

Uh

stupid ugly retard
Dec 30, 2009

by T. Finn
Used kleenexes in the basket are so loving gross.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
My favorite part was '"bit-torrent file site" that no one normal knows how to use.'

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Hahahhaa.

"rejected."

I'm glad I have a couple of days left on the fanflow.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

New strip and my copy of Volume 3 arrive the same day. Coincidence? Probably.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Guava posted:

Uh

I took that to mean writers block but who knows. Either way it's nice to have new Achewood.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Jack Bandit posted:

I took that to mean writers block but who knows.

I just assumed it was depression or something.

We all have brain problems, Onstad. It's good to have you back. We can hug awkwardly, if you like. :)

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
The sarcasm didn't come across right, but I actually am worried for the dude and hope his brain problem was a temporary one like too many relatives visiting for the holidays, and not something that had to be cut out of his head.

Ghost Captain
Apr 22, 2008

I did it wit my lil hatchet
Christ, that was terrible.
Come on Onstad, just write a strip about some cats watching Braveheart.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Ghost Captain posted:

If "starboard nut" didn't make you giggle, you have no soul.

Boy Named Sue
Apr 19, 2003

YARRRRRR!!!

Ghost Captain posted:

If you didn't find that funny, you're probably reading the wrong web comic. Perhaps CAD would be more your style?

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Ghost Captain posted:

How could I disagree so much with someone who has a Brad Neely avatar?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Onstad, we love you when you're here.

Here's hoping we see more regular strips.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I agree with the guy; I don't know why you dudes were so quick to leap on his dissenting opinion with Hyperbolic Strawmen (come see us play Tuesdays at the Trash Veranda). I thought Achewood prided itself on not being dated— check out this strip's equivalent from last year. It's ostensibly topical, except not at all, and as a result doesn't come off as contrived. Meanwhile, this one is all over the place, making references to bad Food Network shows, Justin Bieber, Glenn Beck, Somali pirates, and the Zune, then playing free word association with them, and writing that off as comedy.

Seriously, what is this, CAD South Park? Or have I lost my soul, and is the strip no longer for me?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

oh, yeah, phuck autotune btw

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Boy Named Sue posted:

If you didn't find that funny, you're probably reading the wrong web comic. Perhaps CAD would be more your style?

Oh shut up, this attitude is exactly why this thread veers into Terrible so frequently. If you want to slurp Onstad's cock do it in the fanflow. People are allowed to have dissenting opinions here.

Personally I didn't hate the comic, but I didn't find it that funny either. Like Mizu said, it seemed dated. Like, a Zune joke? In 2011? Didn't most people get those out of their system like three years ago?

Ghost Captain
Apr 22, 2008

I did it wit my lil hatchet

MizuZero posted:

I agree with the guy; I don't know why you dudes were so quick to leap on his dissenting opinion with Hyperbolic Strawmen (come see us play Tuesdays at the Trash Veranda). I thought Achewood prided itself on not being dated— check out this strip's equivalent from last year. It's ostensibly topical, except not at all, and as a result doesn't come off as contrived. Meanwhile, this one is all over the place, making references to bad Food Network shows, Justin Bieber, Glenn Beck, Somali pirates, and the Zune, then playing free word association with them, and writing that off as comedy.

Seriously, what is this, CAD South Park? Or have I lost my soul, and is the strip no longer for me?

This is basically my deal. This is MAD-magazine-level parody with Onstad's trademark goofy writing style. I hate Glenn Beck as much as the next person but using nautical terms and weirdo accouterments in a joke about stabbing his balls doesn't make it funny. I don't want jokes about Glenn Beck or Justin Bieber or Oscar Grant, I want stuffed animals so distracted by their life that they put too much jalapenos on Ray's nachos.
Achewood trades on character and this ain't that. It's not like this is too subtle or smart for me to get. "Go back to CAD" isn't really an appropriate response.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Ghost Captain posted:

I want stuffed animals so distracted by their life that they put too much jalapenos on Ray's nachos.
dang man can't you see the new comic is kinda like Onstad's emotions right now

hella crazy

1 Side of the 0
Jan 28, 2005

Hyper Viper Beam? No, this is just a gun. It shoots holes in people. Bang.
I guess the old addage "You can gift someone $1000.00, and they'll bitch that it's all in $20's" still applies.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

1 Side of the 0 posted:

I guess the old addage "You can gift someone $1000.00, and they'll bitch that it's all in $20's" still applies.

1.) "Adage" and "give"
2.) Doing your job is not equivalent to giving someone money. We give him money. In exchange he gives us an annual cartoon and the right to order but not receive cookbooks.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Slashie posted:

1.) "Adage" and "give"

Gift can be a verb.

1 Side of the 0
Jan 28, 2005

Slashie posted:

1.) "Adage" and "give"
2.) Doing your job is not equivalent to giving someone money. We give him money. In exchange he gives us an annual cartoon and the right to order but not receive cookbooks.

Huh, I always though the strip was free? Is he charging me money each time I go to the website?!? If so, you win this logic fight sir.

Also, I have NEVER seen a typo on the internet. Thank you.

1 Side of the 0 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 7, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

People will like and dislike strips, and there's nothing wrong with either so long as nobody makes hyperbolic statements about whether people are allowed to like or not like it. If somebody doesn't like a strip, they shouldn't be afraid to say so or have to deal with responses like "go read CAD" which is really an over-reaction. I liked the strip just fine but it's certainly not a classic or even a shining example of what generally makes Achewood so great, it's "just" another strip - a good read with some laughs and a general admiration of Onstad's talent for language.

P.S - the first Chapbook was made available for free, I downloaded it and took a look and found some of the pages quite amusing, particular the concept of wearing overalls to prevent spousal sex.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

McGravin posted:

Gift can be a verb.

We already have a perfectly good verb form of "to give." Repurposing a noun instead is sloppy writing and not the best style choice for someone who wants to lecture everyone about not appreciating a fairly wordsmith-y cartoon sufficiently.

And yeah, the strip is free, but it's still his job, so it's not like a cartoonist posting a cartoon is some huge extra special thing we should all be grateful for. And considering he has the fanflow and the books, many aspects of Achewood aren't free.

Anyway some of you really need to get a grip and stop embarrassing yourselves. It's okay to criticize someone even if that someone has done brilliant work in the past. It's okay to be disappointed with one strip while still holding fond memories of previous strips and high hopes for future strips. Stop jumping all over anyone who doesn't cry themselves to sleep hugging an Onstad-shaped pillow every night.

stupid ugly retard
Dec 30, 2009

by T. Finn
Gift is commonly used as a verb, 1 Side of the 0 didn't make it up, you retard.

1 Side of the 0
Jan 28, 2005

Slashie posted:

We already have a perfectly good verb form of "to give." Repurposing a noun instead is sloppy writing and not the best style choice for someone who wants to lecture everyone about not appreciating a fairly wordsmith-y cartoon sufficiently.

And yeah, the strip is free, but it's still his job, so it's not like a cartoonist posting a cartoon is some huge extra special thing we should all be grateful for. And considering he has the fanflow and the books, many aspects of Achewood aren't free.

Anyway some of you really need to get a grip and stop embarrassing yourselves. It's okay to criticize someone even if that someone has done brilliant work in the past. It's okay to be disappointed with one strip while still holding fond memories of previous strips and high hopes for future strips. Stop jumping all over anyone who doesn't cry themselves to sleep hugging an Onstad-shaped pillow every night.

You make words into word lines in a pretty way ma'am. You gift us with your insight.

All of the "Me thinking that you are silly for taking issue about the word choice of my statement" to the side, you DO have a point about the optional paid services. That was irresponsible of Mr. Onstad.

With that said, a new free strip and suggestion that he is "back", possibly like a heart attack, still causes tears? If a mid to high-grade baseball player is out injured for 6+ months, does everyone expect him to to get a touchdown in his first at bat?

1 Side of the 0 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 7, 2011

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

stupid ugly retard posted:

Gift is commonly used as a verb, 1 Side of the 0 didn't make it up, you retard.

I know he didn't make it up, it's just a stupid thing to say.

And would you dorks please stop calling me "sir"? "Mmyess, goon-sire" lameness aside, not everyone who reads Achewood is male.

vvv It's not "presumptuous" to make statements about your own wishes, genius. Are you able to read the words in this comic, or are you just in it for the cat drawings?

Slashie fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 7, 2011

stupid ugly retard
Dec 30, 2009

by T. Finn

Slashie posted:

And would you dorks please stop calling me "sir"? "Mmyess, goon-sire" lameness aside, not everyone who reads Achewood is male.

And some people who are female prefer sir, you're both being presumptuous.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I enjoyed the most recent comic and thought it was funny. If you didn't that's okay.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
It seems... really, really unoriginal on the part of Onstad to make a joke about Justin Bieber. "Destroy all extant human artistic achievement via 'auto-tuning'" is, like, YouTube-level hyperbolic whining-about-pop-music. You're better than this, Chris :(

stupid ugly retard
Dec 30, 2009

by T. Finn

Cobweb Heart posted:

It seems... really, really unoriginal on the part of Onstad to make a joke about Justin Bieber. "Destroy all extant human artistic achievement via 'auto-tuning'" is, like, YouTube-level hyperbolic whining-about-pop-music. You're better than this, Chris :(

He's not, he never was.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07052007

1 Side of the 0
Jan 28, 2005

Slashie posted:

vvv It's not "presumptuous" to make statements about your own wishes, genius. Are you able to read the words in this comic, or are you just in it for the cat drawings?

Wow, verbing the word "gift" really has you in a tizzy. Did a gift kill your parents? Do you dress up at night and smash gifts to make the wrong things right? Screw my comments about not liking the strip now. Like what you want to like. Why do you hate gifts?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I love how goddamn Lyle both knows and cares about Comic Sans

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Guys, we have a new Achewood strip. This should be a joyous occasion. What I see is a bunch of people being cocks to strangers.

we need to wage some peace

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Cobweb Heart posted:

Lyle has got mad respect for fonts.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I was going to ask why Onstad hasn't posted here in a long time but nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Cobweb Heart posted:

Lyle's calligraphy is well-known and respected.