Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I don't watch a whole lot of anime, but you can pre-order FLCL: The Complete Collection for $33.99. Release date is 2-22-11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Another bundle dropped on Amazon.

This time it's the Sci-Fi 3 Pack with Jumper/Independence Day/I, Robot for $20.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1WPOA?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002G1WPOA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Red posted:

I don't watch a whole lot of anime, but you can pre-order FLCL: The Complete Collection for $33.99. Release date is 2-22-11.

I wonder if they'll press more than, like, five of them this time around.

I haven't been keeping up with FLCL news; is there any word on the video quality and stuff like that? I'd imagine that like most stuff digitally animated in the late-'90s-early-'00s era, there's little to no hope of getting a truly high-definition transfer here, since everything was probably rendered/composited at standard definition a long time ago. But I suppose it'll still be worth it to have them all on one disc (they are all on one disc this time, right?) with slightly less compression. And just, well, to have them at all. I've missed out on every release so far.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sir Lemming posted:

I wonder if they'll press more than, like, five of them this time around.

I haven't been keeping up with FLCL news; is there any word on the video quality and stuff like that? I'd imagine that like most stuff digitally animated in the late-'90s-early-'00s era, there's little to no hope of getting a truly high-definition transfer here, since everything was probably rendered/composited at standard definition a long time ago. But I suppose it'll still be worth it to have them all on one disc (they are all on one disc this time, right?) with slightly less compression. And just, well, to have them at all. I've missed out on every release so far.

It's probably not going to blow your socks off, but it's going to have way less artifacting than the DVD, I can promise that. Watch the manga section in the first episode and you can see how brutal that poo poo can look on DVD; if nothing else, it will have less motion blur/artifacting. It will also be on a single disc, which is fine since the entire series is under 3 hours and there aren't very many special features to begin with...

That said, it had better retain the director's commentary track, because that poo poo was good. Really interesting and insightful, and makes the series seem a lot less insane and a lot more thought out than I'd previously assumed.

Now we wait for Sony and Bandai (or whoever owns the series rights at this point) to release Cowboy Bebop on Blu, because I cannot watch the dirty, scratched DVD transfer of the movie upscaled without wanting to cry.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

zenintrude posted:

It's probably not going to blow your socks off, but it's going to have way less artifacting than the DVD, I can promise that. Watch the manga section in the first episode and you can see how brutal that poo poo can look on DVD; if nothing else, it will have less motion blur/artifacting. It will also be on a single disc, which is fine since the entire series is under 3 hours and there aren't very many special features to begin with...

That said, it had better retain the director's commentary track, because that poo poo was good. Really interesting and insightful, and makes the series seem a lot less insane and a lot more thought out than I'd previously assumed.

Now we wait for Sony and Bandai (or whoever owns the series rights at this point) to release Cowboy Bebop on Blu, because I cannot watch the dirty, scratched DVD transfer of the movie upscaled without wanting to cry.

Check the Anime Blu-ray (Blu-Rei) thread, they're complaining about it. BUT I saw the shots and I liked it, so ymmv.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

zenintrude posted:

This is mentioned in the ADTRW thread as well, but as I understand it late 90's anime like Cowboy Bebop are kind of hosed as far as Blu-ray is concerned because they were made in the transition period from cel animation to digital animation, and as such have a lot of CG components composited into the cels. A proper BD release would require a re-render of those elements. There is however a Japanese BD release of the Bebop movie.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

For those looking (Pop over for all your anime BRD questions, I'll answer them for you)

It's as Nate said, traditional cell animated series can benefit from all the glory of a proper restoration. Digital series were created at fixed resolutions and not a lot of companies, for whatever reason, have retained their source material and we're seeing a lot of upscales and some really loving average releases because of it. In the next week or so I'll be compiling a list of upscaled series that have currently been released (Somewhere in between my job killing me with 20 hour days)
FLCL is an incredibly disappointing release because it comes from Studio Gainax; who are known for taking immaculate care of their releases. It's very unbecoming of them to release this upscale.

As a very, very rough guide.
Pre-2000 = Cell animation.
2000-2008~ = Digital animation produced below 1080.
2008+ = Digital animation produced and released on BRD at full 1080.

If you don't own FLCL on DVD the BRD is probably worth grabbing, but I wouldn't recommend if it you really appreciate the series.

For the Disney fans in the audience Studio Ghibli's latest re-release Laputa: Castle in the Sky has come out looking spec-loving-tacular.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 6, 2011

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Infinitum posted:

If you don't own FLCL on DVD the BRD is probably worth grabbing, but I wouldn't recommend if it you really appreciate the series.

This a bizarre and perplexing statement... what would be the optimal choice if we "really appreciate the series"? Not own it in any format?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Would you pick up a regular movie if it had a lovely BRD release?

If you're Joe Schmoe, it'll look good enough.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Infinitum posted:

If you're Joe Schmoe, it'll look good enough.

I guess this is the version to get then.

$30 per episode... fuuuuuck.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sorry, the Japanese release is poo poo too
(The American version is using the same version, just hold your horses and get that release and save yourself a lot of money)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

zenintrude posted:

I guess this is the version to get then.

$30 per episode... fuuuuuck.
Well the "problems" people are complaining about are with the Japanese release so it wouldn't make any sense to import it.

Really, it comes down to the original R1 DVDs looking like poo poo and this being an upgrade over that. Unless you are really going to be all :spergin: about it and import the Japanese DVDs or something you might as well get the BDs if you like the show.

E: Now if you want something to complain about with regards to Japanese BD prices, Kara no Kyoukai (gorgeous looking series of supernatural/psychological thriller films) are going to be released in February at cool price of ~$600. But have no fear, Right Stuf is offering to let people import it through them at the very cheap price of $400 :downs:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 6, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once Upon a Time in America reviewed :nws:

ehhhhhhh

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Infinitum posted:

If it were pretty much technically impossible to present it in any higher-quality format? Yeah, probably. I despise the fact that the original artwork wasn't preserved more carefully, but there's probably not much they can do about it now. I want the best-quality version possible even if it's only marginal, and short of a miracle, it looks like this is gonna be it.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

doctor thodt posted:

Once Upon a Time in America reviewed :nws:

ehhhhhhh

Good enough for me. Selling my DVD copy to upgrade this one :)

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Once Upon a Time in America looks pretty good. Nothing mind blowing, but a good upgrade over the DVD. Besides, now we can have it on one disc.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Better than the DVD at least. It'd be nice if they didn't have all those dubs taking up valuable space and could have pushed the bitrate to 20Mbps, but it looks like an old transfer anyway.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 6, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Oh hey what have we here:

Lucasfilm press release posted:

Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray Now!

January 6, 2011

The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever -- the Star Wars Saga -- emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

• Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
• Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
• Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor."

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been the most anticipated Blu-ray release by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon.com. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong."

Pre-order Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets at Amazon.com today!

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
So we can assume that the original trilogy release is going to be the same content wise as that of the DVD release, right?

Han shoots first, ghost Hayden, etc.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

FitFortDanga posted:

Order yours on Amazon today!

You can't. :smith:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skychrono posted:

You can't. :smith:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003ZSJ212/

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Dreading to find out if they look worse than the HDTV masters

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Already 6 reviews! Amazing!

Ah well $45 for the OT isn't bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hitze posted:

Dreading to find out if they look worse than the HDTV masters

I doubt they'll look worse.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TheManWithNoName posted:

Already 6 reviews! Amazing!

I hate people. 5 stars... for a product that you not only haven't seen, not only won't be out for 8 months, but was JUST ANNOUNCED an hour ago. But gently caress yeah, 5 stars, because STAR WARS YAAAAAY!!!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In the time since Blu-Rays were first released and this new announcement, I realize I'm not that excited about Star Wars on Blu-Ray anymore. This isn't to be edgy or nerd-ragey, I'm just honestly surprised. I might end up buying them, but definitely not full price.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I enjoy them completely ignoring the elephant in the room.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

morestuff posted:

The elephant was only added into the room in the Special Editions.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

"highest possible video and audio" sounds like utter bullshit. Lucas is probably going to spend the entire budget adding more poo poo into the original trilogy and there will be no money left for remastering.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

morestuff posted:

Nobody in marketing wants to lose their job

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Those prices and configurations are downright reasonable. I was perfectly content with just buying the Original Trilogy, but those bonus discs in the complete saga may lure me into buying the whole shebang.

I guess those of us still wanting the non-CGI'd original trilogy can only hope that Lucas "finds and restores the original masters" in time for the 3D blu-ray release.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

fenix down posted:

"highest possible video and audio" sounds like utter bullshit. Lucas is probably going to spend the entire budget adding more poo poo into the original trilogy and there will be no money left for remastering.

The original films were scanned directly at 1080p for the 2004 SEs (rather than 2K for the 1997 SEs) and you know they'll use those exact same scans for the Blu-Ray.

It's sad that now my 'great hope' for the BDs is actual film grain and non-pink light sabers rather than the original cuts.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's mind-boggling just how stubborn George Lucas is. Stubborn because at this point, everybody KNOWS that releasing the original versions of the OT would be a HUGE selling point for a very large portion of the population, and yet he still just doesn't freaking do it because he thinks his new versions are better and all these other people are wrong. What other excuse could he possibly have? The budget isn't there?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Sir Lemming posted:

What other excuse could he possibly have?

I don't know how true this is, but I heard an explanation that his ex-wife owns 50% of the royalties / rights / whatever to the true OT, and that if he releases it commercially she would be entitled to 50%. The versions with his changes are not the same film (apparently?) and thus she doesn't get 50% of the sales. This would be why the only DVD release of the non-hosed-with-version was a bonus disc feature.

Again, no idea if that's correct. If it is, I suppose it makes sense, in a greedy George Lucas kind of way. If that isn't the case, well...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Pre-ordered. :ughh:

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

No, his wife does not own the 'rights' to the Original Trilogy, and if she did, the SE would certainly still count as being the same film.

This article covers the state of the original Star Wars negative, how the SE came about and evolved from George wanting to replace the Mos Eisley sequence, and technical details on the 1997 and 2004 releases. Also covers the fact that Lucasfilm can confiscate non-SE prints from theatres.

Regardless of whether or not the negative now exists in some bastardised SE-only version, the sections removed as well as the individual elements are all in the Lucas vault.

Also, the non-fading Technicolor dye print in George Lucas's basement used to colour time the original version back in the 90s? A similar print was 'illegally' screened theatrically last year and looks absolutely fantastic.

When George dies maybe...

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 6, 2011

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Joe Don Baker posted:

^^^^^

edit: vvvvv

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 7, 2011

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Makes two of us.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I wonder how many Prequel sets they'll sell? 4?

e:

quote:

With the new 2004 SE existing partly to link the six films, this was indeed the case as the original trilogy was lowered in resolution to that of the first three episodes. Ironically, as Lucas moved into more "high tech" digital arenas, the quality of the image slowly declined, going from a 35mm original, to a partly-2K 1997 SE and then a fully-1080p 2004 SE. According to Videography, the negs were scanned on a Cintel C-Reality telecine, at 1920x1080 resolution, in 4:4:4 RGB, recorded to Sony SR tape. [37]

Jorge Lucaaaaaasss :argh:

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pre-ordered the full set. All 6 movies and 3 discs of extras for $90 is not bad at all.

• Locked thread