Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Anybody have any experiences with "How to read faster" and those general books? Always was curious if they actually worked, feel it could be handy for "popcorn" books (i.e. light reading, pulp, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I noticed midway through the High Level Lit Chat thread some discussion on Medieval literatre and Old English, with some mention on how it is possible to learn enough in a month to read Beowulf comfortably.

I just finished a module on Medieval poetry and I'm really interested in using my Christmas break to trying to learn some Old English myself.

Does anybody have any recommendations for good books, websites or courses I should be checking out?

I wasn't too sure if I should post this here or in the high level thread, didn't want to spam it up in there as it's flowing so nicely.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A month? Maybe enough to have an idea what's going on. Comfortably? Not likely. English at any one time in history has a halflife of about 300 years before it goes completely incomprehensible.

Go a little easier on yourself and start with the well-trod classics of "that's english?" literature like The Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and the Green Night, and Piers Plowman. Look for (shouldn't be hard to find) heavily footnoted or parallel with translation copies.

e: This book was pretty good.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 24, 2010

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

I noticed midway through the High Level Lit Chat thread some discussion on Medieval literatre and Old English, with some mention on how it is possible to learn enough in a month to read Beowulf comfortably.

I just finished a module on Medieval poetry and I'm really interested in using my Christmas break to trying to learn some Old English myself.

Does anybody have any recommendations for good books, websites or courses I should be checking out?

I wasn't too sure if I should post this here or in the high level thread, didn't want to spam it up in there as it's flowing so nicely.

Yeah, you could easily pick up an edition of Canterbury Tales with a good glossary and be reading comfortably within 10 pages. If you know any German, French, or Latin, it'll be even quicker. Plus, there are useful online resources like this Middle-Modern English dictionary-- http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/ --which can be a bit annoying because of variable spellings, but isn't bad if you're stumped by something not explained in notes.

Old English stuff like Beowulf doesn't look nearly as much like our English. Knowing some German is supposed to help with it, but I can't attest to recognizing much outside of maybe every twelfth word and the occasional verb tense. Here's a poem in Old English with a Modern English translation: http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/369.html. It looks pretty alien, but you could probably get enough basic facility to read a short piece like that within a month.

If you're determined to give it a whirl, my university uses this book: http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Old-English-Bruce-Mitchell/dp/1405146907/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293056692&sr=8-1 , but this one -- http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Old-English-Peter-Baker/dp/1405152729/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293056759&sr=1-1 -- has a better reputation. And I know Seamus Heaney's Beowulf presents the Old English and his translation side-by-side; there are probably other translations that also do this.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
How do you feel about Penguin's original-spelling edition of Canterbury Tales? It's one I've been thinking about picking up in the new year.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dr Scoofles posted:

This was the standard text we used back when I took Old English in college:

http://www.amazon.com/Biography-English-Language-C-M-Millward/dp/0495906417/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293120199&sr=8-1

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So my nephew put an Orson Scott Card book on his christmas wish list, a new one I'd never heard of, "Pathfinder."

I'm a bit leery of anything by Card outside of Ender's Game really, as almost everything else I've read by him is way way preachy and tends to go off the deep end, and I was hoping somebody may be familiar enough with the title to let me know if this is another Train Wreck like 'Xenocide' and 'Children of the Mind' and pretty much everything else of his I've read.

Otherwise I'll just go buy him Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, because hey, all young kids should have a chance to read Ender's Game.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

barkingclam posted:

How do you feel about Penguin's original-spelling edition of Canterbury Tales? It's one I've been thinking about picking up in the new year.

The version I read is old and has no "translation notes" at all so I'm going by the amazon preview just as you are, but it looks fine to me. The Norton edition has the translation-type notes in the margins and the content-type notes as footers, which I prefer to the Penguin tendency to put all the content stuff at the back of the book; note placement is a matter of personal preference though. Either seems like a good choice.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Thanks for all the Old English advice, it seems that a month is awfully ambitious but there is no reason why I can't make a start over the Christmas break. Cheers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

coyo7e posted:

So my nephew put an Orson Scott Card book on his christmas wish list, a new one I'd never heard of, "Pathfinder."

I'm a bit leery of anything by Card outside of Ender's Game really, as almost everything else I've read by him is way way preachy and tends to go off the deep end, and I was hoping somebody may be familiar enough with the title to let me know if this is another Train Wreck like 'Xenocide' and 'Children of the Mind' and pretty much everything else of his I've read.

Otherwise I'll just go buy him Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, because hey, all young kids should have a chance to read Ender's Game.

Why is he asking for OSC books if he hasn't read Ender's Game? That's kind of weird. But if he hasn't read Ender's Game then yes that's what you should get him.

As far as other Card books, in my experience they've ranged from mediocre to revoltingly awful. I honestly don't know how he was responsible for Ender's Game. Speaker for the Dead was ok I guess. I only read the first Ender's Shadow book and it was decently written but felt like a cash-in, I doubt a young reader would care though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

Why is he asking for OSC books if he hasn't read Ender's Game? That's kind of weird.
Because he's 11 or so, and it's being pushed pretty heavy either by his friends or whatever media he consumes.. Card is getting old and frankly he's becoing more of a franchise every year..

My nephew's a fairly voracious reader and his tastes thus far tend to lean toward pulpy fantasy stuff he's seen in commercials. I'm a bit concerned that the first time he's possibly ever mentioned the name of OSC, it's for a new trilogy with a sketchy(aka preachy) sounding backstory.

I bought him Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Pathfinder for Christmas and wrapped them into two separate presents. The rest of OSC's dross he can spend his own money on, and I mostly regret not having the time to read pathfinder myself to give it fair judgement, but it's a new series with a lot of PR which gives me a lot of misgivings. I'd rather leave him a copy of Stranger in a Strange Land somewhere inconspicuous.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 25, 2010

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Nevermind, actually found the right thread to ask this in.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

car dance posted:

Nevermind, actually found the right thread to ask this in.

Dammit, now I gotta know.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I picked up the first book in Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy right before Christmas, and upon finishing it, I immediately rushed to the store and got the other two. It's a fairly new trilogy and it's a pretty rollicking good time of a pulp fantasy novel about assassins and thieves' guilds and battles and politics, I was wondering if anybody else had read them yet? The author has a lot of strong twists which caught me off guard, and I'm looking forward to finishing the third book this week.

Anybody else checked these out? I've quite enjoyed them so far and am looking forward to more work by the author as he just published the first book in a new series, which seems to be set in the same world.

The author occasionally goes on long, 'breathless' run-on sentences but I'm pretty pleased with his writing overall, it's a lot better quality than a lot of sword-and-sorcery stuff I've read.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the Steve Larson 'Girl with a Dragon Tattoo' series worth picking up? Would anyone here recommend the book over the movie or vice versa?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm about halfway through it and I can't put it down. If you like mystery/crime thrillers then definitely give it a read. Ignoring the hype its still a fascinating pageturner. I will say its pretty boring until Chapter 3 or 4. Then you're hooked.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any suggestions on where to start with David Foster Wallace. I'm primarily interested in reading any of his essays or short stories that dealt with his rage for grammar in the english language.
Actually I think I know what essay to find what I'm looking for in. I just don't have the name here. Can someone who knows more elaborate on the things David Foster Wallace had issues with with regards to English?

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 31, 2010

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Any suggestions on where to start with David Foster Wallace. I'm primarily interested in reading any of his essays or short stories that dealt with his rage for grammar in the english language.
Actually I think I know what essay to find what I'm looking for in. I just don't have the name here. Can someone who knows more elaborate on the things David Foster Wallace had issues with with regards to English?
This is the essay you're looking for: http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/DFW_present_tense.html

Any DFW is obviously great. If you want fiction, start with Brief Interviews with Hideous Men then move on to Oblivion. Brief Interviews has much shorter, succinct stories with an obvious overarching theme. Oblivion has longer stories (for the most part) that might be better overall, but a tiny bit less accessible.

For essays/non-fiction, you can't go wrong with starting with either Consider the Lobster or A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. The latter's eponymous essay is probably the most famous thing he's done outside of Infinite Jest, and rightly so.

Back to your central question, I don't think he wrote much else exclusively about English grammar. But you should read the syllabus for the English class he taught. It's amazing: http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/press/releases/2010/dfw/teaching/#syllabus

bearic fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 31, 2010

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had the Harper Magazine page opened in a tab but wasn't sure if that was it and if theres more. Thanks.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I just picked up The Rum Diaries, and Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trial '72.
What should I read first?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

I picked up the first book in Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy right before Christmas, and upon finishing it, I immediately rushed to the store and got the other two. It's a fairly new trilogy and it's a pretty rollicking good time of a pulp fantasy novel about assassins and thieves' guilds and battles and politics, I was wondering if anybody else had read them yet? The author has a lot of strong twists which caught me off guard, and I'm looking forward to finishing the third book this week.

Anybody else checked these out? I've quite enjoyed them so far and am looking forward to more work by the author as he just published the first book in a new series, which seems to be set in the same world.

The author occasionally goes on long, 'breathless' run-on sentences but I'm pretty pleased with his writing overall, it's a lot better quality than a lot of sword-and-sorcery stuff I've read.

I was the exact same way with that trilogy. Tried the first one, immediately went out and got the other two. The other trilogy he just started is in the same vein but different universe I believe but sticks pretty much to his same style.

I would recommend Karen Millers The Godspeaker Trilogy which includes:
Empress
The Riven Kingdom
The Hammer of God

Same sort of urban fantasy as Brent Weeks, darker, grittier than most of the usual fantasy. If you like those read her other two books The Innocent Mage and The Reluctant Mage but would shy away from her other serials. If your still looking for more after that than I would recommend Tad Williams Shadowmarch series. Its very dark, gritty and great series. Hope that helps.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fat_Cow posted:

I just picked up The Rum Diaries, and Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trial '72.

Rum Diaries, than Fear and Loathing on the Campaign trail. Are you reading through his catalog or just reading these two?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

Space them out or you'll realize how often he repeats himself and certain words/phrases.

edit: That was The Great Shark Hunt and Feat and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, maybe Rum Diaries is different, dunno.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I am reading those two. I had a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas I read and lost some time ago.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I wouldn't even recommend Rum Diaries at all. It's pretty much Thompson spinning tales about himself and playing them off as fiction about somebody else (but really about him). There's a reason why a book he wrote in the 1960s wasn't released for decades. Campaign Trail is a much better and funnier book.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Flaggy posted:

I was the exact same way with that trilogy. Tried the first one, immediately went out and got the other two. The other trilogy he just started is in the same vein but different universe I believe but sticks pretty much to his same style.

I would recommend Karen Millers The Godspeaker Trilogy which includes:
Empress
The Riven Kingdom
The Hammer of God

Same sort of urban fantasy as Brent Weeks, darker, grittier than most of the usual fantasy. If you like those read her other two books The Innocent Mage and The Reluctant Mage but would shy away from her other serials. If your still looking for more after that than I would recommend Tad Williams Shadowmarch series. Its very dark, gritty and great series. Hope that helps.

I keep hearing Brent Weeks recommended and was interested in trying him, but I really didn't like Empress. I thought it was flat and the main character was predictable, it was dull to read about someone who always knows she's divinely inspired in what she should do and doesn't really choose or question much. The religious system was a drag on the book, the dialect was a bit tedious, and none of the characters were too interesting.

Is it really that similar to the Night Angel stuff? Because if so then I probably need to avoid Weeks as well.

Lady Gaga
Sep 20, 2009
So this might be an oddly specific question but I am looking for interesting, engaging biographies of 18th and 19th century political figures/notable people. I feel like these types of books are shoveled out constantly, particularly ones about the Founding Fathers, so I am having difficulty finding some truly good ones rather than whatever one is in vogue at the moment. Any suggestions?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

deety posted:

I keep hearing Brent Weeks recommended and was interested in trying him, but I really didn't like Empress. I thought it was flat and the main character was predictable, it was dull to read about someone who always knows she's divinely inspired in what she should do and doesn't really choose or question much. The religious system was a drag on the book, the dialect was a bit tedious, and none of the characters were too interesting.

Is it really that similar to the Night Angel stuff? Because if so then I probably need to avoid Weeks as well.

Its not similar at all. In Brents books there is little to no reference to religion. I liked the ending to the Godspeaker trilogy, it was a little boring and tedious in the first book but the second book picked up just fine, I believe there are some preview chapters online of The Night Angel Trilogy if you want to read a bit of it first. Amazon has some and Google as well.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003
So I arrived yesterday in this small house I borrowed through a family member. Winter time in snow country on a small island just off the Western coast of Denmark. Beautiful, tiny, stove heated with extra electric panels, owned by an architect couple who had an idea with every stupid detail there is in a household. Plenty of coffee table books on architecture, nice hotels and penthouse flats and places. Like 15 crime novels. And then Ayn Rand.
Why the gently caress does it always have to be Ayn Rand you find in the houses of the economically and aesthetically privileged, who still lack real culture? I can't look at The Fountainhead in my bedroom without being afraid they're cultists.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Flaggy posted:

Its not similar at all. In Brents books there is little to no reference to religion. I liked the ending to the Godspeaker trilogy, it was a little boring and tedious in the first book but the second book picked up just fine, I believe there are some preview chapters online of The Night Angel Trilogy if you want to read a bit of it first. Amazon has some and Google as well.
Agreed. I finished Beyond the Shadows finally last night, and outside of some of the romance triangle stuff going on in the second and third books (which reminded me a lot of the over-written stuff with the torture dildo rods and S&M warrior women etc from manyuch of Goodkind's middle and later novels,) which luckily didn't last for long periods without other characters and scenes breaking them up, it was excellent overall in my opinion.

The trilogy closed off nicely and didn't leave it on too much of a cliffhanger, yet didn't really wrap up a lot of stuff, either. It definitely left me hoping that I can go back to that world with later work by the author, although I would almost prefer that the Kylar+[/spoiler]Vir[/spoiler] stuff not really come back up - it was the most tortured and least interesting romantic angle which seemed to mostly just effect the various DEMs to bring certain key characters and places together. I'd almost rather move on and have Kylar be a tertiary character or vanish entirely, although his ex-wife I would like to see more of - hopefully she'll get a chance to step into politics etc..

All in all a wonderful first series from an author who seems to be putting out a great deal of work at a respectable pace.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 5, 2011

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

LooseChanj posted:

Dammit, now I gotta know.

Sorry, it was a book request but they haven't been able to find it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Wanted to call attention to some new (to TBB) thread tags: , and separate and tags. So if you were refraining from posting cuz there wasn't a tag appropriate hopefully there's a little less pressure now! :cheers:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Fantasy tag? :black101:

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I hope people stop using the flashing sci-fi/fantasy tag now, its pretty annoying!

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Hey, Loosechanj: Could we start doing a poem of the month as well as a book? Starting with shorter poems, I guess?

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Facial Fracture posted:

Hey, Loosechanj: Could we start doing a poem of the month as well as a book? Starting with shorter poems, I guess?

I'd love to see this. Maybe even consider doing it Cinema Discusso FotM/Primer style where someone chooses rather than a vote, and provides some background/analysis?

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it's a bit of an odd question.

I recently picked up a couple of hardcover books (Hourani's A History of the Arab Peoples and The Essential Wallerstein by - you guessed it - Wallerstein).

Unfortunately, neither came with a dust jacket. Because of this, they really stand out on my bookshelf and it's a nagging irritation.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can obtain dust jackets for books? Or is there anywhere I can get one printed?

Does anyone have any experience of obtaining dust jackets for hardcover volumes?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'd be down for a poem of the month. My goal for 2011 is to get better read in poetry - I'm starting with Chaucer and reading a volume of poetry a month - so I'd take part.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

knees of putty posted:

Maybe even consider doing it...where someone chooses rather than a vote, and provides some background/analysis?

Yeah, that would be a nice way of doing it. And I'd hope we might end up with a good, diverse range of poems that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I like this poem idea, and yeah you definitely don't want me picking them.