Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If it was x87's fault wouldn't this... be an issue in other languages? Ditto for compiler switches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Scaramouche posted:

If it was x87's fault wouldn't this... be an issue in other languages? Ditto for compiler switches?
It's a hardware issue in the same way PHP's == operator being bizarre and terrible is a programmer issue

That is to say, it isn't a hardware issue.

It doesn't happen without x87, but it also wouldn't happen if the PHP devs were competent.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PHP's problem is their retarded strtod algorithm only works on IEEE doubles, and not other (larger) IEEE floats.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Scaramouche posted:

Or if it wasn't the x87 FPU then it wouldn't show up on other architectures.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Fwiw: ocaml got caught out by these issues - i.e inaccuracy/errors in using the x87

But! php wrote an algorithm that went into an infinite loop when dealing with precision issues.

so uh, take your pick.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Scaevolus posted:

Yes.

Dammit Notch, please let one of your employee rewrite your engine

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

crazylakerfan posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Notch surrounded himself with business folks, and meanwhile is still sitting in front of his box, alone, banging out bad java.

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Scaevolus posted:

code:
Context:

1) this.pendingChunks averages 3000-5000 objects.
2) Collections.sort allocates a new array of the same size, copies all the elements out of the ArrayList, sorts them, then copies all the elements back.
3) The code always terminates at point 1 or 2, unless firstRun is true (i.e., it only processes the last ~3 objects in the list)

This method is called every frame, and accounts for 30% of CPU time on slower systems.

Do you mind sharing where you got this code from? Is Minecraft's code public? Or was this decompiled and cleaned up?

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
It must be decompiled, surely Notch doesn't use magic numbers in his code!

fryzoy
Sep 21, 2005
What.

wlievens posted:

Or was this decompiled and cleaned up?

Pretty much that, there's at least one decent decompiler. Cleaning up is a bit of effort though due to the obfuscation.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Notch posted:

(Oh, wait, no, I didn’t.. Doing so broke git, so we’re changing to svn because git is horrible and evil)

I really hope he's trolling.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

crazylakerfan posted:

This doesn't even begin fixing how the Minecraft engine renders >3x more triangles than necessary by not combining identical adjacent quads.

wlievens posted:

Do you mind sharing where you got this code from? Is Minecraft's code public? Or was this decompiled and cleaned up?
Decompiled, with variables renamed to reflect what I could figure out about their function.

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax
lmao I can't wait for all of the minecraft clones to completely overshadow the original by simply working

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

The Reaganomicon posted:

lmao I can't wait for all of the minecraft clones to completely overshadow the original by simply working

notch posted:

just a few minutes ago, I found out that Minecraft got three nominations for the Independent Games Festival (Grand Prize, Technical Excellence, and Excellence In Design).

Independent Games Festival posted:

a category which seeks to highlight the innovation and quality in game engines and code.
ayup

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 7, 2011

gastownlabs
Oct 14, 2010
Minecraft has sold 1 million copies. Making every algorithm O(1) is not more important than shipping.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

gastownlabs posted:

Minecraft has sold 1 million copies. Making every algorithm O(1) is not more important than shipping.

Well yes, profit is the most important thing in the world. Oh wait, that's only if you're a sociopath.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

gastownlabs posted:

The game is literally unplayable on some high-end computers, for absolutely no reason other than lovely code.

A game with a nearly non-existent physics engine, using 16x16 textures, should be able to run on just about everything.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Zombywuf posted:

Well yes, profit is the most important thing in the world. Oh wait, that's only if you're a sociopath.

Who said anything about profit? A technically perfect game that is never released is nothing compared to an imperfect game that millions can enjoy. Certainly Minecraft can be improved, but for the work of one man, I'm not going to complain.

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

ryanmfw posted:

Who said anything about profit? A technically perfect game that is never released is nothing compared to an imperfect game that millions can enjoy. Certainly Minecraft can be improved, but for the work of one man, I'm not going to complain.

Hey man, feel free to post the code that makes you laugh (or cry) here. :stare:

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

A pragmatic reason for code sucking doesn't mean it's not a coding horror.

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Scaevolus posted:

A pragmatic reason for code sucking doesn't mean it's not a coding horror.

Notch is a coding abomination.

Worse still, a shipping one.

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
A scheduled app that runs every 5 minutes depends on a SQL query that takes ~3 minutes to complete. There was increased load or something last night and the query was timing out every single time, sending me a hundred error emails.
I take a look at the query and it's basically doing a self-join on a non-indexed field (why join on ID fields?) inside a sub-query.
I changed the join column to use the ID and the query completes instantaneously.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Smugdog Millionaire posted:

A scheduled app that runs every 5 minutes depends on a SQL query that takes ~3 minutes to complete. There was increased load or something last night and the query was timing out every single time, sending me a hundred error emails.
I take a look at the query and it's basically doing a self-join on a non-indexed field (why join on ID fields?) inside a sub-query.
I changed the join column to use the ID and the query completes instantaneously.

This reminds me of something that happened with a project that I've been working on. One of my professors and I maintain a web application that our CS department (and tens of others) use to electronically grade student code.

Everything ran reasonably well back in the day when we'd flush the database at the beginning of each semester and go fresh, but then we started just using the same database across multiple semesters for ease of collecting statistics. After a few years, performance on parts of the system were terrible (when GTAs went to grade assignments, loading the page that listed all of the student submissions for a particular assignment would take on the order of 10 seconds the first time, until the results were cached).

We dug around for ages looking for a bottleneck in the code that rendered these pages, until it finally hit us: we didn't have any indices in the database. Once we added indices for all the frequently joined foreign key columns, the queries were instantaneous. :haw: We just never noticed any performance penalties before because the one-semester databases were small enough.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

ryanmfw posted:

I paid for it and it's unplayable on my netbook, but would be almost playable if it were took about 30% less time to render each frame. So I'm going to complain.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Hey, not really defending poo poo coding, just arguing that poo poo coding isn't always about profit. It sucks that your netbook can't play 3D games but neither can mine, suck it up.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

ryanmfw posted:

Hey, not really defending poo poo coding, just arguing that poo poo coding isn't always about profit. It sucks that your netbook can't play 3D games but neither can mine, suck it up.
Notch is literally de-improving the game when he releases patches. He adds bugs that are bad enough to make the game Not Fun.

He can code fast, was inspired by a good idea, and has legions of autistic fans. That's all he has going for him.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

ryanmfw posted:

I get better framerate in fallout 3 than minecraft, both on max settings, and Notch has pushed out updates with showstopper bugs (death in survival multiplayer making you invisible and unable to interact with the world + sometimes people spawning dozens of feet above spawn and dying from fall damage)

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 8, 2011

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Notch is literally de-improving the game when he releases patches. He adds bugs that are bad enough to make the game Not Fun.

He can code fast, was inspired by a good idea, and has legions of autistic fans. That's all he has going for him.

So all he has going for him is his tremendous success? It sucks that some people aren't able to play his game, but it's not like he's unaware of that fact. That fact is why the game was labeled alpha, and that fact is also why he explicitly states he will not offer public technical support for the game right now. The bugs I hear being described are pretty common bugs for alpha versions of games. There's lots of games that are nearly unplayable even through beta due to framerate and load time issues.

So...you're complaining that a thing labeled alpha that the developer explicitly will not provide technical support for is unoptimized and broken. How could you have reasonably expected the game to function any other way in an alpha state? If this game wasn't in the state you describe then it wouldn't have been marked alpha, and it also wouldn't have been $5.

I don't think it's ideal to ever release software in that state, but the economics of game development are such that indie developers releasing alpha versions of their games for small amounts of money makes a lot of sense. Notch had this idea for a game, but he only had the resources to take it so far. Notch would probably have liked to fully polish and finish Minecraft before releasing it, but he couldn't justify putting that amount of time and resources into it since he just didn't have them. Putting the game up for sale early in an unfinished state basically allowed the public to become his investors, and it also allowed him to gauge interest in his game concept. If he had put Minecraft up for $5 and no one bought it then that would have been a signal to move to his next project. Turns out, it was a hit, and the funding is allowing him to finish developing Minecraft properly if he chooses to.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 8, 2011

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
When in history has anybody charged money for an alpha release of something? In fact, when has an alpha release ever been made available to the general public?

Notch is charging money for an unfinished product and using "alpha" as an excuse for poor quality control.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

qntm posted:

Notch is charging money for an unfinished product and using "alpha" as an excuse for poor quality control.

Are you really criticizing a product that is labeled to hell and back by the developer as unfinished by saying it's unfinished? Yes, he's charging money for an unfinished game. That is the point. That is why it's labeled "alpha" instead of "bug-free release version." The husband and wife team that initially made Mount & Blade used this strategy 7 years ago. It's not without precedent.

Did you not read anything I wrote? He's charging money for an alpha release in order to get funding so that he can make it a beta release or a full release. The usual process for a much larger game developer in this instance would be to try to shop this game around to different publishers in order to secure funding to finish it or just shitcan the project. Instead of doing that, he just went to players directly.

So instead of him signing the rights to his game away to a publisher for a pittance, he has allowed end users to invest directly in the development of the game. In return, players get access to early versions of the product.

Without Notch charging for Minecraft, there would have been no continued work on Minecraft because it wouldn't have made economic sense for him. Notch couldn't have just waited until it was done to release it since the resources just wouldn't have been there to do that. When he released the Minecraft alpha he was just one guy, and the money he has made off this alpha has allowed him to build a company to finish the game and make other games.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 8, 2011

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

qntm posted:

When in history has anybody charged money for an alpha release of something? In fact, when has an alpha release ever been made available to the general public?
For the first: Natural Selection 2. Its alpha was available to pre-orderers of the special edition.

But it looks like this and is running on their own proprietary engine, so they kind of needed the money. Also they are constantly fixing bugs, whereas Notch will release a game-breaking patch and then go to sleep. (Patches are silent and automatic on launch)

Unknown Worlds is essentially doing the same thing Notch is, except they're producing a far more complex game with less money. And doing a much better job of it.

Minecraft: Making every thread mentioning it into a Minecraft thread since 2010.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

ErIog posted:

Are you really criticizing a product that is labeled to hell and back by the developer as unfinished by saying it's unfinished?

I'm criticising it because from looking at that code I could make it playable on my netbook in about 10 minutes. Also, because it's poo poo code, and this is "Coding horrors: post the code that makes you laugh (or cry)" not "Coding horrors: stick up for poo poo coders because a bunch of people gave them money."

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Unknown Worlds is essentially doing the same thing Notch is, except they're producing a far more complex game with less money. And doing a much better job of it.

You're gonna need to provide a source for this because I'm seeing that Unknown Worlds has received 2 rounds of outside investment plus whatever Zen of Sudoku made plus whatever pre-orders for NS2 make. They've also been working on NS2 for about 3 years at this point. You're comparing 2 very different games at two different stages of development with two very different budgets.

Zombywuf posted:

I'm criticising it because from looking at that code I could make it playable on my netbook in about 10 minutes. Also, because it's poo poo code, and this is "Coding horrors: post the code that makes you laugh (or cry)" not "Coding horrors: stick up for poo poo coders because a bunch of people gave them money."

Well then go do that. Go give Notch your resume. Make your own awesome super-well-coded game that nobody will ever want to play. I'm fine with people criticizing the code since that's what this thread is for, but the attitude of "I could code soooo much better than that so therefore he's a failure that shouldn't be successful at all" is completely stupid since making a game is not entirely about programming. There are people in this thread like Reaganomicon that literally think that consumers give a poo poo about how cleanly their games are programmed.

You've spent most of your time since this derail started not talking about code, but delivering your value judgments on Minecraft(based solely on its coding) and Notch's worth as a person(based solely on his coding). You act like Minecraft is the first game to have lovely code when nearly every video game that has ever been released since the beginning of the industry has had some manner of lovely code. I'm not excusing the code when I say that, either. I'm saying that Minecraft having lovely code in it doesn't automatically make it a lovely game, and that Notch not being able to code well doesn't make him a super untalented douchebag rear end in a top hat.

Once again, you really don't see the dissonance in the fact that you are criticizing a well-labeled alpha product for having bugs and lovely performance? I feel like if I tried to sell you car with a list of things wrong with it that I gave to you up front, that you would later come back to complain to me about that list of things I told you were all hosed up before you gave me your money.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 8, 2011

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Minecraft is the new PHP.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

ErIog posted:

You're gonna need to provide a source for this because I'm seeing that Unknown Worlds has received 2 rounds of outside investment plus whatever Zen of Sudoku made plus whatever pre-orders for NS2 make. They've also been working on NS2 for about 3 years at this point. You're comparing 2 very different games at two different stages of development with two very different budgets.
6 months before the alpha was released, they had $220,000 from preorders and $500,000 from investors. 4 months after the alpha was released they went to closed beta. So the alpha was developed on less than a million dollars. The entire game engine is their own code and deals with rather high quality graphics.

Minecraft, on the other hand, has sold one million copies. And is still in alpha. And is still commonly unplayable. And still often has new game-breaking bugs introduced. Notch does no real private testing other than "It mostly works on my computer." (NS2 has builds internally tested by the devs and some players before they are released to all the closed beta members)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

6 months before the alpha was released, they had $220,000 from preorders and $500,000 from investors. 4 months after the alpha was released they went to closed beta. So the alpha was developed on less than a million dollars. The entire game engine is their own code and deals with rather high quality graphics.

Minecraft, on the other hand, has sold one million copies. And is still in alpha. And is still commonly unplayable. And still often has new game-breaking bugs introduced. Notch does no real private testing other than "It mostly works on my computer." (NS2 has builds internally tested by the devs and some players before they are released to all the closed beta members)

I don't see how it's valid to so directly compare a game that had $750,000 invested before they released their product to a game where there was almost no money invested before Notch started charging. Notch only put together his game company in September whereas Unknown Worlds was a company since before development on NS2 started.

Minecraft was in development for a period of time with zero funding. NS2 had funding before Unknown Worlds started making the game. That's a completely different situation than a game created with no funding initially.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 8, 2011

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Notch is a tepid coder and an abominable developer. Can we just agree on that and drop the issue? Unless you have more terrible code to post.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

What is it about Minecraft that makes you so angry? I don't think I've seen someone argue with such fervor against how a game is developed. Could we get back to Coding Horrors instead of For/Against Minecraft 'spergin?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

ErIog posted:

Once again, you really don't see the dissonance in the fact that you are criticizing a well-labeled alpha product for having bugs and lovely performance?

Once again you fail to notice you are posting in the thread where we rip on lovely code and the people who write it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Standish
May 21, 2001

ErIog posted:

Well then go do that. Go give Notch your resume. Make your own awesome super-well-coded game that nobody will ever want to play. I'm fine with people criticizing the code since that's what this thread is for, but the attitude of "I could code soooo much better than that so therefore he's a failure that shouldn't be successful at all" is completely stupid since making a game is not entirely about programming. There are people in this thread like Reaganomicon that literally think that consumers give a poo poo about how cleanly their games are programmed.

You've spent most of your time since this derail started not talking about code, but delivering your value judgments on Minecraft(based solely on its coding) and Notch's worth as a person(based solely on his coding). You act like Minecraft is the first game to have lovely code when nearly every video game that has ever been released since the beginning of the industry has had some manner of lovely code. I'm not excusing the code when I say that, either. I'm saying that Minecraft having lovely code in it doesn't automatically make it a lovely game, and that Notch not being able to code well doesn't make him a super untalented douchebag rear end in a top hat.

Once again, you really don't see the dissonance in the fact that you are criticizing a well-labeled alpha product for having bugs and lovely performance? I feel like if I tried to sell you car with a list of things wrong with it that I gave to you up front, that you would later come back to complain to me about that list of things I told you were all hosed up before you gave me your money.
So this is why all the Minecraft threads have titles about bans/probations, thanks for clearing that up.