Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Macaluso posted:

I don't mean to step all over Gravitas Shortfall's toes, but I made you a more cleaned up version

Nice, thanks. Think I might go with "You cannot trust the people of this place." Unless someone can come up with something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Suggestion: always consider going textless when getting an avatar. It's amazing what kind of ridiculous bullshit can seem funny or interesting for the three seconds it takes to type it in, and then never again.

Nothing wrong with your idea or anything; it's just something worth thinking about, I think.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

Nice, thanks. Think I might go with "You cannot trust the people of this place." Unless someone can come up with something better.

Personally I'd go with "Tell me which of these stories you like."

...or "Spankies!"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
"At the very least I think I would have to wear trousers."

not really, that avatar should be left textless.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I like the one you're thinking of Mr. Fowl but this

Kismet posted:

"Tell me which of these stories you like."

is also good.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah I think either "You cannot trust the people of this place" or "Tell me which of these stories you like" would work great for that.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kismet posted:

"Tell me which of these stories you like."

Went with this, because I like the implications it would make for the panel it originally came from.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
You know, I like how Coyote's eye is all blurry and jittery in that close up. It really makes him seem crazy and dangerous. Not just a playful, harmless trickster.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jones in that second-to-last panel almost looks concerned!

That is probably not a good thing.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Annie doesn't realize she will have to complete an independent study program while she's away. You'll pass double physics whether you want to or not!

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!
gently caress your trip that you were so excited for, Kat! I'm going Camping! :byewhore:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I knew it. I just knew it.

Coyote is Palpatine and Jones is Obi Wan.

Obi Jones Kenobi.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The 19th Person posted:

gently caress your trip that you were so excited for, Kat! I'm going Camping! :byewhore:

Yeah, she's pretty much abandoning her only friend here, which is a bit of a dick move.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The 19th Person posted:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, she's pretty much abandoning her only friend here, which is a bit of a dick move.

To be fair that's probably not on her mind at the moment. Also Coyote didn't say she would always have to be there (although she should probably make sure that's not the case.)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, she didn't actually agree to stay. Coyote made the offer, and her reply was a confirmation of the offer, not an acceptance. Coyote has chosen to misinterpret this, but she isn't for sure staying yet.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Also, she didn't actually agree to stay. Coyote made the offer, and her reply was a confirmation of the offer, not an acceptance. Coyote has chosen to misinterpret this, but she isn't for sure staying yet.

I don't think she ever thought the offer would be made. In all her previous encounters with Coyote he has been insistent on her going back to the Court despite her obvious desire to stay in the forest and learn more from him.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Oneiros posted:

I don't think she ever thought the offer would be made. In all her previous encounters with Coyote he has been insistent on her going back to the Court despite her obvious desire to stay in the forest and learn more from him.

I get the feeling Coyote is going to teach Annie a lesson about why she doesn't belong full time in the forest. :v:

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The devious DARKBRINGER plans to dominate first Lightbringer, and then the entire Midwest!

Heliotrope posted:

To be fair that's probably not on her mind at the moment. Also Coyote didn't say she would always have to be there (although she should probably make sure that's not the case.)

Oh, it makes perfect sense and is in character, and she hasn't really accepted the offer yet. That being said, it's fun for me to re-interpret characters as horribly as possible.

The 19th Person fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 7, 2011

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

The 19th Person posted:

Oh, it makes perfect sense and is in character, and she hasn't really accepted the offer yet. That being said, it's fun to me to re-interpret characters as horribly as possible.

Plus, given that apparently everyone she knows has known this and not told her, she may well suspect Kat of being in on :tinfoil: the conspiracy :tinfoil:, even if she hasn't consciously thought of that.

(Also, why do people always hide Dark Secrets like this? They always come out, and they always do more damage that way...)

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
She probably really does not want to be around Kat's mum right now, considering she was in on this, from her perspective. That's probably a higher priority than Kat missing her..

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

FredMSloniker posted:

Plus, given that apparently everyone she knows has known this and not told her, she may well suspect Kat of being in on :tinfoil: the conspiracy :tinfoil:, even if she hasn't consciously thought of that.

(Also, why do people always hide Dark Secrets like this? They always come out, and they always do more damage that way...)

I can't see her thinking Kat would know - why would her parents tell her?

I think they were waiting until she was older to tell her. It's kind of hard to find the right moment to say "Hey by the way you're the reason your mother died and you're not quite human."

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

The whole "not entirely human" thing does explain why she has pink hair, sort of. Not exactly a mystery anyone was chomping at the bit to solve but there you go.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

FredMSloniker posted:

Hey, 13 year old girl. Your great-great-great-great grandma was a fire elemental! Cool huh? Oh also you're directly responsible for your mother's death. Not saying it's your fault or anything! Just, y'know, wanted you to know.

I'm guessing they were holding off until she was 18 or something. That's not something you tell a child, or even a teenager.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Benagain posted:

Hey, 13 year old girl. Your great-great-great-great grandma was a fire elemental! Cool huh? Oh also you're directly responsible for your mother's death. Not saying it's your fault or anything! Just, y'know, wanted you to know.

I'm guessing they were holding off until she was 18 or something. That's not something you tell a child, or even a teenager.
It'd make for one hell of a sex-ed lesson.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

It'd make for one hell of a sex-ed lesson.

"And so that's how you put a condom on. Unless you're Antimony's ancestors, in which case you'll also need some flame retardant and some burn salve, because they knocked boots with a fire elemental."

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Benagain posted:

I'm not saying it wouldn't take some tact. For that matter, I can understand why people hide things like that in real life. It's just that, well, if they'd told her when she was younger, she'd be kind of bitter now... but she wouldn't be jumping into Coyote's arms as the only one she can trust.

Plus, it's one of those things that pops up in fiction a bunch that really gets on my nerves, because it always, always goes horribly wrong. It is never ever the case that having a secret revealed doesn't lead to someone doing something rash that makes the situation worse than if they'd known the truth from the beginning. (Bonus points if, before the reveal, they do something else to make the situation worse because they don't know!)

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm not saying it wouldn't take some tact. For that matter, I can understand why people hide things like that in real life. It's just that, well, if they'd told her when she was younger, she'd be kind of bitter now... but she wouldn't be jumping into Coyote's arms as the only one she can trust.

Plus, it's one of those things that pops up in fiction a bunch that really gets on my nerves, because it always, always goes horribly wrong. It is never ever the case that having a secret revealed doesn't lead to someone doing something rash that makes the situation worse than if they'd known the truth from the beginning. (Bonus points if, before the reveal, they do something else to make the situation worse because they don't know!)

Jeanne being killed by the court was a deep dark secret that was revealed without any great negative consequence. Kat's boyfriend turning into a bird was at least a deep secret, which everyone then responded well to. Conversely, Annie freaked out at Mort because she assumed a deeper motivation where it turned out there wasn't one. I think it's just one of those tropes that people notice more in presence than in absence, since it's often used as a dramatic focus, while secrets that don't result in mass trauma generally don't end up changing the course of a plot so profoundly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They were probably going to tell her eventually. (Note that this chapter started with someone telling her one of those secrets.) They just wanted to wait until she settled in, and the death of her mother isn't so fresh on their mind. So that she isn't That Girl Who Isn't Human and Killed Her Mother at school.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I get the feeling Coyote is going to teach Annie a lesson about why she doesn't belong full time in the forest. :v:

If she accepts, I could see her witnessing why the Court is really afraid of him.

Psych
Feb 13, 2005

The Infernal
So Annie gets angry once and suddenly she has a the inner temper of a fire elemental? Considering that she is a teenage girl she is, if anything, super-naturally calm.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Psych posted:

So Annie gets angry once and suddenly she has a the inner temper of a fire elemental? Considering that she is a teenage girl she is, if anything, super-naturally calm.

Sure, Surma is descended from a fire elemental, but no one has mentioned yet that Anthony is descended from a beige elemental. She is supernaturally imbued with the power to make interesting situations seem mundane and boring, and also with the power to wear a lot of beige.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

Psych posted:

Well, that fit of anger did lead to her trying to murder Elgamore.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
There was also that time she flipped out on Mort because of what she thought the implication of him giving her the stone were.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

The 19th Person posted:

Well, that fit of anger did lead to her trying to murder Elgamore.

I don't think she was trying to harm Eglamore. More likely she was just trying to stop him from following her.

The 19th Person
Sep 26, 2010

McGravin posted:

I don't think she was trying to harm Eglamore. More likely she was just trying to stop him from following her.

She blasted him with a gigantic wall of fire. Even with Elgamore there is a risk of injury. That's at least manslaughter.

Also, these pages suggest that she has pent up anger issues, maybe for a while if not just now.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

The 19th Person posted:

She blasted him with a gigantic wall of fire. Even with Elgamore there is a risk of injury. That's at least manslaughter.

Also, these pages suggest that she has pent up anger issues, maybe for a while if not just now.

It was blinker fire. Pretty sure it won't burn anything she doesn't want it to (or refrain from burning anything she DOES want it to). Annie was trying to escape, not kill.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Guava posted:

It was blinker fire. Pretty sure it won't burn anything she doesn't want it to (or refrain from burning anything she DOES want it to). Annie was trying to escape, not kill.

If I remember right Tea-san said on Formspring that it could have injured/killed Eglamore if he hadn't been able to deal with it.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Heliotrope posted:

If I remember right Tea-san said on Formspring that it could have injured/killed Eglamore if he hadn't been able to deal with it.

Ah, okay. I don't read the Formspring :shobon:

MagnoliaPearl
Sep 30, 2008
The Court didn't tell her, but neither did Coyote or Ysengrin or any of them, even though they knew too. I guess since the Court serves as her home and the adults there her guardians, Annie might distrust them more for not telling her, but I don't think she sees Coyote as "the only one she can trust".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

MagnoliaPearl posted:

The Court didn't tell her, but neither did Coyote or Ysengrin or any of them, even though they knew too. I guess since the Court serves as her home and the adults there her guardians, Annie might distrust them more for not telling her, but I don't think she sees Coyote as "the only one she can trust".

Honestly, she's probably not thinking about any of that. She's angry at the adults in the Court, and she went to Coyote because he's the only authority figure she knows that's not part of the Court. Even though we've been discussing and speculating for weeks, it's only been like maybe 15 minutes in the comic- she's still upset and hasn't thought any of this through.