Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Faffel posted:

Blah. This kind of logic is really what's ruining the horror genre/why the horror gebre has always been ruined. Movies like Saw and Paranormal Activity just aren't worth endless sequels, but they keep getting them and people keep loving them for no good reason. Paranormal Activity 1 impressed me because it was good for Hollywood horror, but it still wasn't creepy or even well-done. And Saw... Saw's just the same stupid gore-horror poo poo we've had for decades. poo poo needs to be done with.

Sorry, not intending to poo poo on your opinions, I just get angry about horror and end up venting it sometimes. It's my absolute most favourite and absolutely most hated genre. I don't understand why horror isn't used as a way to explore interesting stories and ideas (most of the time, The Thing was a goddamn masteriece), as opposed to just try to using jump-scares and splatterfests to get people to watch it.

Actually the first two Saw movies are really good and not all about people dying gruesomely so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dickeye posted:

Actually the first two Saw movies are really good and not all about people dying gruesomely so.

I didn't see the first Saw, but I saw part of 2 and 3 and ended up giving up part of the way through. They just didn't seem to do anything interesting. I've considered watching the first, but I just can't get excited for it in the least.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Faffel posted:

I didn't see the first Saw, but I saw part of 2 and 3 and ended up giving up part of the way through. They just didn't seem to do anything interesting. I've considered watching the first, but I just can't get excited for it in the least.

The first is actually a pretty decent thriller with a great twist at the end, and it also has Danny Glover.

The last time I watched it I kept saying he was too old for this poo poo and nobody else got it.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dickeye posted:

The first is actually a pretty decent thriller with a great twist at the end, and it also has Danny Glover.

The last time I watched it I kept saying he was too old for this poo poo and nobody else got it.

I might give it a whirl, then, if it's a little more like Se7en (another movie I haven't seen D:). I'm pretty surprised nobody got the Glover reference. I watched Lethal Weapon as a goddamn kid and I still remember that line.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's not like Se7en, but it's also not the psychotic gorefest most people think it is. That came later.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
Don't avoid the original Saw because of the gore. Avoid it because of the godawful acting.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Topper Harley posted:

Don't avoid the original Saw because of the gore. Avoid it because of the godawful acting.

Ignoring horror films for bad acting is a really great way to never watch horror films.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Elwes' performance in the first Saw is one of the worst lead performances I have ever seen in a feature film, horror or no.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

And Danny Glover was one of the worst supporting performances. The acting in that movie was so bad to be distracting, excuse notwithstanding.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
A couple I am looking forward to apart from the ones that are going to be hugely promoted.

Vanishing on 7th Street

The Rite

There are quite a few more interesting ones on upcominghorror or IMDB but this next looks interesting for an independent movie:

Absentia

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I will totally go see The Exorcism of Anthony Hopkins.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
As will I but I'd like to suggest you read the book first. Or after. Just buy and read the book for it is fantastic and scary and all those other things horror novels should be but rarely are anymore.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Local Group Bus posted:

As will I but I'd like to suggest you read the book first. Or after. Just buy and read the book for it is fantastic and scary and all those other things horror novels should be but rarely are anymore.

I might do that. Gonna see if I can get the audiobook out of a library.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Darko posted:

And Danny Glover was one of the worst supporting performances. The acting in that movie was so bad to be distracting, excuse notwithstanding.

The cop from Saw 3D makes every single other actor in the Saw series look like loving Daniel Day Lewis.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Faffel posted:

I'm not sure if you know, but Solomon Kane's a fairly big deal. He was written by the same guy who wrote Conan (Robert Howard) and has almost as much content written about him as the Cimmerian. Glad to hear the movie is good, though.

I had no idea.

The movie is more of an origin story then, cause after googling the character nothing really matched up to the movie.

Still, pretty good. Sort of Constantine meets Van Helsing meets Rome (more swordplay, less boobs). The guy who plays Kane is Marc Antony from Rome anyway :3:

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Solomon Kane was an awesome movie. Also looking forward to Season of the Witch, which at the time I saw both trailers, looked remarkably similar. It's differentiated itself a bit since then, but it still looks fun.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

sportsgenius86 posted:

The cop from Saw 3D makes every single other actor in the Saw series look like loving Daniel Day Lewis.

That's crzy, stop being so crazy, your crazy fool, crazy.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Having it be filmed in 3D is totally worth it, and its not like being in 3d really detracts from a film anyways.

3D is just copy protection.

It doesn't do anything for a film. Projected theatrically, films in 3D are darker and the edges are washed out. Current 3D technology isn't much improved from technology used in the 1980s, despite what James Cameron will try to tell you as he counts his money.

It does prevent people from making bootlegs of theatrical films (see all that money Cameron is counting again), so in that regard the technology is a huge success.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

InfiniteZero posted:

It does prevent people from making bootlegs of theatrical films (see all that money Cameron is counting again), so in that regard the technology is a huge success.

Does it stop bootlegs? Don't they usually release a 3D and 2D version at the same time? Couldn't someone just bootleg a 2D version?

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

Slasherfan posted:

Does it stop bootlegs? Don't they usually release a 3D and 2D version at the same time? Couldn't someone just bootleg a 2D version?

I'm guessing he means that people feel more inclined to go to a theater instead of bootlegging it, because of the idea that if you don't watch it in 3D then you're missing something.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Slasherfan posted:

It's been very effective in stopping people from releasing bootleg copies of films that are currently in a theatrical run because people can't record the film since it is projected in 3D. Even more sophisticated bootleggers with access to the film itself can't overcome the copy protection.

That's why films are all in 3D now. It has nothing to do with "artistic vision" or "audience immersion" or whatever the gently caress. Most 3D features have the copy protection just tacked on in post-production anyway. Movies are a business after all.

As for simultaneous releases in both formats -- I would guess in those cases it doesn't really work. Increasingly though films are being released in 3D only. There are all sorts of points of failure for the industry to prevent piracy of course ... 3D is just one way they do it. Personally I don't care about the whole issue but the 3D thing sort of pisses me off because it gets spun as something artistic in origin rather than corporate.

EDIT -- we should go back to horror films now. Has anybody heard anything else about the remake of Race With The Devil? The original is just so great, I wonder who they could possibly cast.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 4, 2011

Dstrukt
Jan 3, 2010

The owls are not what they seem.

InfiniteZero posted:

As for simultaneous releases in both formats -- I would guess in those cases it doesn't really work. Increasingly though films are being released in 3D only. There are all sorts of points of failure for the industry to prevent piracy of course ... 3D is just one way they do it. Personally I don't care about the whole issue but the 3D thing sort of pisses me off because it gets spun as something artistic in origin rather than corporate.

I work at a movie theater and I don't know of any film that has gotten strictly a 3D release. In fact, if the 3D version does well, we will more often than not get a 2D print of it once it moves out of the digital house. There might be a select few that are only released on 3D, but I don't believe the number is growing. I know Tron: Legacy, Tangled, Gulliver's Travels, Narnia: Dawn Treader and Yogi Bear were all released in both 3D and 2D.

That is an interesting point regarding 3D movies though. That never really occurred to me. It's pirate proof. At least for now.

On the subject of horror films, Absentia looks awesome. Has anyone seen Oculus, by the same director? It looks interesting.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

InfiniteZero posted:

That's why films are all in 3D now. It has nothing to do with "artistic vision" or "audience immersion" or whatever the gently caress. Most 3D features have the copy protection just tacked on in post-production anyway. Movies are a business after all.
That is the worst, when it's added in post to a movie that wasn't shot in 3D in the first place, but 3D in general just comes across as a cheap flashy gimmick. I'm really sick of the whole trend already, and del Toro saying Mountains of Madness was being filmed in 3D didn't raise my hopes any. All it says to me is that he's buying into (or being pressured into) the fad. I really don't see how a Lovecraftian horror film could be improved in any way by poo poo jumping out into your face, which has pretty much been the 3D experience so far.

Dickeye posted:

That and the dream of 3D being used to help create non-Euclidean geometry is beautiful.
God I really hope I'm wrong and it's something like this though, but I'm not that optimistic.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
I haven't been to a theater in roughly ten plus years, so does anyone know if any of this new 3d tech works on someone with only one good eye? I assume not but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
What movie has been released in just 3d? I honestly can't think of any at all. Hell even jackass 3d was also released in 2d at the local theater here.

3d is just something people enjoy because it is new and adds new elements to something we love (movies)

Plus it's an easy cash in. I don't know many people that would go to the movies and save the few dollars and see the 2d version instead. It's a way to make a couple extra dollars is all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

InfiniteZero posted:

It's been very effective in stopping people from releasing bootleg copies of films that are currently in a theatrical run because people can't record the film since it is projected in 3D. Even more sophisticated bootleggers with access to the film itself can't overcome the copy protection.

EDIT -- we should go back to horror films now. Has anybody heard anything else about the remake of Race With The Devil? The original is just so great, I wonder who they could possibly cast.

I'd argue about films being released only in 3D, because not every theater can afford that many 3D projectors. Hell, even the one where I saw Jackass, which probably could afford it, was offering poo poo in 2D with one theater showing the 3D versions of all the movies throughout the day.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
3D works fine for horror, I'm just a grumpy old man.

3D horror was perfected with Friday the 13th Part III. It had a googly 3D eyeball and Jason with a poker that he skewers two people who are loving with. The remake of My Bloody Valentine was pretty good too, because it had an actress in it who was nude for her entire performance, even if the 3D was mostly wasted on her (I mean seriously, she had the assets for a 3D sequence, but I guess the new technology isn't quite "there" yet). Then with Piranha 3D we had a 3D boob implant and best of all, a 3D underwater cock.

Originally I was skeptical about 3D's purpose but I get it now.

Here's to hoping that we get a remake of Galaxy of Terror in 3D, because then we can finally have the definitive and eye popping three dimensional be all and end all alien space worm rape scene we've all been waiting for.

Also I remember when I was a kid they showed The Creature From The Black Lagoon on TV in 3D and you had to go to the convenience store and buy the red/green glasses and then gently caress with your TV set before they aired it. It was an EVENT to my young little mind.

Now in all seriousness what does it add? gently caress all! I don't really care though, it's not like horror hasn't always been full of gimmickry and I love it for that anyway.

NOTE -- this post has been a fun rant and while I really wasn't being sarcastic at all (honestly - check my post history, I really do love the films I mentioned), I would like to officially rescind my wish for a remake of one of my favourite movies ever (Galaxy of Terror) ... unless of course Joanie is still available to reprise her role.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

You forgot Jaws 3D and the wonderful scene of the shark breaking through the glass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xd9Mmk60zg

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
The best 3D scene of all time is Udo Kiers liver hanging on the end of a spear and waving out of the screen in Flesh For Frankenstein.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Darko posted:

You forgot Jaws 3D and the wonderful scene of the shark breaking through the glass

Oh crap I did and that means I also forgot about a 3D Lou Gossett Jr.

zombieman posted:

The best 3D scene of all time is Udo Kiers liver hanging on the end of a spear and waving out of the screen in Flesh For Frankenstein.

And this is also an unforgivable crime. Blood for Dracula was also released in 3D.

The blood of these whores is KILLING me.

Udo Kier is awesome. He has a dog named Greta Garbo. I believe that his dog is 3D too.

Dstrukt
Jan 3, 2010

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

I haven't been to a theater in roughly ten plus years, so does anyone know if any of this new 3d tech works on someone with only one good eye? I assume not but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

No the 3D effect will not work. If you wear the glasses, the movie will look 2D to you. For people with clear vision in both eyes, this same effect can be achieved by simply covering one eye.

Dickeye posted:

I'd argue about films being released only in 3D, because not every theater can afford that many 3D projectors. Hell, even the one where I saw Jackass, which probably could afford it, was offering poo poo in 2D with one theater showing the 3D versions of all the movies throughout the day.

The only movies I could think of are maybe the select few films that are only released in IMAX 3D like the ones that have to do with animals or the environment.

InfiniteZero posted:

3D works fine for horror, I'm just a grumpy old man.

Yeah, for terrible horror movies...

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Dstrukt posted:

Yeah, for terrible horror movies...

If you think that Creature From The Black Lagoon, The House of Wax, and Blood For Dracula are all terrible horror movies you're talking crazy.

The oil! They put much so much oil here on EVERYTHING!

Dstrukt
Jan 3, 2010

50s horror films were a much different story than recent. I was referring to the latest wave of 3D horror films.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

How could you forget Dr Tongue's 3D House of Stewardesses?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Full trailer and poster for John Carpenters The Ward have been released. The trailer looks pretty cool but the poster is bland bullshit.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/41742/finally-full-uk-trailer-and-one-sheet-john-carpenters-ward

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 7, 2011

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

Slasherfan posted:

Full trailer and poster for John Carpenters The Ward have been released. The trailer looks pretty cool but the poster is bland bullshit.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/41742/finally-full-uk-trailer-and-one-sheet-john-carpenters-ward

i find it amazing that you can look at some movie posters these days and tell exactly what will happen, or at least 89% of the plot. Its like we have seen this exact set up how many times?

Though I could be wrong, I guess I should watch the trailer and see if I am far off.

edit: no, I wasn't that far off

eckoelab fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 7, 2011

faustcf
Jun 1, 2004

My beard! I broke my playoff beard!!

Local Group Bus posted:

Absentia

This looks fantastic! Thanks for the heads up.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
All four posters for four different movies on this page use the exact same font.

That really doesn't help movies stand out from the pack when the posters show up in the multiplex.

It depresses me all the more because horror films are ripe for some custom made lettering work (to be fair the "Vanishing" poster uses a different font for the main title and there is some effort going on with the cross and the swash in "The Rite" but come on people).

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
If you're a fan of Argento and Bava you owe it to yourself to check out Amer. Just be warned that it's not really a horror film and that there's basically no dialouge in the whole film. It's like if you strip away everything but the colours, score and freudian themes from Argento and Bava.

Poster for the people complaining about posters. This poo poo is good. :nws: I suppose http://theaterofmine.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/amer.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hedenius posted:

Poster for the people complaining about posters. This poo poo is good. :nws: I suppose http://theaterofmine.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/amer.jpg

Now that's how you make a movie poster.

Also, the film itself sounds really interesting. Bava? Argento? That poster? I'm sold.