Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I just finished Deus Ex. This game is long, Steam says I've played it for 27 hours. I got a mixed reaction from it. The story progressed so fast I had to read up on earlier events on wikipedia. Gameplay was solid, I went for the badass shooting type since I don't have the patience to stealth through games anymore. It certainly wasn't a waste of time, but the game isn't "the best game ever" (that would be Stalker). The final level was incredibly confusing, and the ending was kind of disappointing (I looked through all three).

Closest connection I could make would be to System Shock 2, which I played through a year ago or so. SS2 is definately a better game in my opinion, much cooler special abilities, you could actually follow the storyline, and obviously, the antagonist. Bob Page / Warren Spector got nothing on SHODAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Skilleddk posted:

Bob Page / Warren Spector got nothing on SHODAN.
That's because he's more interested in Mickey Mouse than world domination.

(I've confused Warren Spector with Walton Simons several times back in the day.)

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Cray posted:

That's because he's more interested in Mickey Mouse than world domination.

(I've confused Warren Spector with Walton Simons several times back in the day.)

Oh gosh, the producent of the game is the antagonist! What a twist :toot:

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

Skilleddk posted:

Oh gosh, the producent of the game is the antagonist! What a twist :toot:

Bob's Game was Deus Ex all along!

Also [insert nerdy reference about Romero's head being the real final boss in Doom II]!

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Momomo posted:

Am I right in thinking biomods in IW are almost useless? I got both the strength and speed mods and haven't used them at all. I thought people were exaggerating about the game being dumbed down, but it really does feel that way.

The strength aug is a passive augmentation and it's always on. It's basically the key to making the baton the best weapon in the game (the other is triple upgraded EMP melee).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Skilleddk posted:

The story progressed so fast I had to read up on earlier events on wikipedia.

Really? I've always thought that the story moves quite slowly in the sense that nothing really happens between the escape from the facility and vandenburg (which is two levels from the end).

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

Cray posted:

Bob's Game was Deus Ex all along!

Also [insert nerdy reference about Romero's head being the real final boss in Doom II]!

Spector actually was an antagonist in Ultima VII. The self-insertion somehow managed to be slightly less creepy than Garriot's but not by much.

The best thing about Deus Ex by far is not the story but the way it takes the player through several massively different societies, like the mole people and the triads, and explains them in a way that isn't patronising to the player. Some of the best dialogue in the game is when you're shown the both sides of each community but it never really seems expository or preachy because you can skip it all and just blow poo poo up if you want.

BillWh0re fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 3, 2011

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

BillWh0re posted:

Spector actually was an antagonist in Ultima VII. The self-insertion somehow managed to be slightly less creepy than Garriot's but not by much.

At least they changed his name slightly, they were more obvious about it in the Worlds of Ultima spin-offs:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Really? I've always thought that the story moves quite slowly in the sense that nothing really happens between the escape from the facility and vandenburg (which is two levels from the end).

Yeah, until around Vandenburg the story moves slowly, which I like because it feels like it unfolds naturally as you're trying to figure all this poo poo out. Then it suddenly becomes the blog of a :tinfoil: old man with all the crazy it just accepts and plows through.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, it gets pretty slow. I remember starting to wish the game would just end when I reached the level where you infiltrate the gas station.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I did notice it was very long my first play through, but I just chalked it up to it being an old game where 20-25 hours was predictable and expected for a single player experience. I pushed on and by the time I finished the game I was a true fan with the intensity you'd expect from a convert.

I restarted the game and played through it again right after my first playthrough, even though I had lots of new games I could have been playing. Wanting to uncover other ways of playing coupled with wanting to better understand the story really propelled me to play much more. According to Steam, I've played 65 hours total with about 3-4 play throughs, which sounds pretty dead on.

I even briefly tried out the multiplayer. I found 1 server with 1 guy playing, who naturally butchered me, as I assume he's been playing on and off for 10 years now.

As neat as the game is, I wouldn't call it the "best game ever" but I would say it is one of the best "gaming experiences" ever, by that I mean that while the gameplay is great, its been improved upon with other releases since then, which always undercuts a game's claim to a title such as that. That said, when you couple the gameplay with the story, which is so deep and so unique, you get something that really withstands the test of time. If I wasn't into the story and I forced myself through the game, I'd probably say, "Yeah, it's good. It's fun," but the story, experiencing it like a good movie, really keeps me coming back, trying to uncover more.

It really introduced me to a lot of the various conspiracy theories out there as well, since Deus Ex is basically a conglomeration of nearly every major conspiracy theory developed in modern times. I stay off the crazy sites, but I read a lot of books on the topics (ones I think are the most reputable anyway) and I've learned a lot.

Just a quick thought on the new game: I watched one of the gameplay videos and saw them turn on "strength" augmentation and move a big crate so Jenson could get in an air duct. I immediately thought to myself "they get it." The creation of large city levels somewhat like Hell's Kitchen really appeals to me. It sucks that it was delayed so they could beef up their next year sales, but let em take 2 more months to smooth it out. Hell, let em take 6 if the game comes out even better.

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

Today I learned that if you pepper spray Walton Simons on the way to interrogate the prisoners, he pulls his gun, runs down there, and just kills them. :confused:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

A OBLIVION MOD... posted:

Today I learned that if you pepper spray Walton Simons on the way to interrogate the prisoners, he pulls his gun, runs down there, and just kills them. :confused:

If you can make him follow you, you can lock him in a cupboard.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Cray posted:

here were the only ones available, but I recently discovered this gallery on a Polish fansite. Therein I found drawings of many beloved Deus Ex characters, such as Jerry Wildman, Nikolai Gusaron and Oscar Lemiuex!

Wait a second, who the gently caress are these people? Oh right, cut content.

Fortunately there's also Stanton Dowd, Maggie Chow and JoJo Fine.

I'm shocked that Deus Ex wasn't a pile of crap. It makes me wonder if they just got lucky or something.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I just started a new game tonight with Biomod. This means I get to post about new things that I never noticed before!

So I'm in Hell's Kitchen doing the side-quest for Smuggler to go to the MJ12 sewer base when I decided to check the computers for some flavor text. One of them was about the company picnic, but the email itself is signed Harleen Quinzell. For those that don't know, that's the real name of Harley Quinn, Joker's sidekick from Batman. I love this motherfuckin' game.

Can't wait to finish up this playthrough, all of mine the past couple of years get halted around Hong Kong do to my somehow losing my save file (last one was a hard drive failure). Then after this, on to the Nameless Mod which I shamefully never finished.

Speaking of which if anyone is still reading this thread and hasn't played the Nameless Mod, go and loving do it. While the story is of course not as good, the gameplay is at the very least just as good, but in my opinion actually better. This coming from a guy that plays his Deus Ex stealthily and non-lethally, if that matters. It actually recognizes that you're playing this way, and even changes dialogue and etc. if you knock out 'bosses'.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002

Poppleganger posted:

I'm shocked that Deus Ex wasn't a pile of crap. It makes me wonder if they just got lucky or something.

Thankfully it was just their artists that were terrible.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't feel like re-reading the past 100 pages to see if this was already posted, but it's new to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEg5Xo7VFU

All that remains of a cut subplot where you could refuse to send the emergency signal and stay with UNATCO rather than defect.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So I'm in Hell's Kitchen doing the side-quest for Smuggler to go to the MJ12 sewer base when I decided to check the computers for some flavor text. One of them was about the company picnic, but the email itself is signed Harleen Quinzell. For those that don't know, that's the real name of Harley Quinn, Joker's sidekick from Batman. I love this motherfuckin' game.

Where is this at? Smuggler told me about it, but I looked all over and never came across it.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Where is this at? Smuggler told me about it, but I looked all over and never came across it.

The area in question is accessible through a number of sewer grates or drains located around Hell's Kitchen. Just follow the kerbs around the map and you should find one of the entrances. You might need a key from smuggler to gain access.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I don't feel like re-reading the past 100 pages to see if this was already posted, but it's new to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEg5Xo7VFU

All that remains of a cut subplot where you could refuse to send the emergency signal and stay with UNATCO rather than defect.

Hell yes. This is really the only thing I feel that is significantly missing from Deus Ex, I would have loved to have tried a UNATCO playthrough

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Sorta reminds me of Wing Commander 4 (1996) where you could defect to the Border Worlds with your captain or you could stay on and play the other side for a few more missions. Eventually, you had to defect or it was game over, but your decision affected how many of your friends lived or died.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's quite a small level, but for something so easily missed it's absolutely fantastic.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Speaking of which if anyone is still reading this thread and hasn't played the Nameless Mod, go and loving do it. While the story is of course not as good, the gameplay is at the very least just as good, but in my opinion actually better. This coming from a guy that plays his Deus Ex stealthily and non-lethally, if that matters. It actually recognizes that you're playing this way, and even changes dialogue and etc. if you knock out 'bosses'.

Did you do both storylines? I've never gotten around to finishing the WorldCorp storyline.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Did you do both storylines? I've never gotten around to finishing the WorldCorp storyline.

And the ending is much more awesome.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TNM has next to no crates an is therefore unworthy of bearing the proud name of "equal to Deus Ex gameplay". :colbert:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

TNM has next to no crates an is therefore unworthy of bearing the proud name of "equal to Deus Ex gameplay". :colbert:

It has some crates, they're just smaller.

On the other hand, you know how new players tend to say things like "Well what if I want to stay with UNATCO huh?" TNM lets you side with the bad guys early on, and it changes the whole game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Isn't it about internet forums or some stupid poo poo like that, though?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Fonzarelli posted:

That's why it's so hard to get into it at first, they shoved all the stupid references, self-inserts and in-jokes into the loving start of the game when they introduce the setting and cast.

It does get vastly better later on, but only after the amazingly terrible start.

EDIT: http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/749/postmortem_the_nameless_.php

The Nameless Mod Postmortem posted:

5. Our project is a PR nightmare

The final and perhaps the hardest problem we faced was making people understand that our game wasn't poo poo. We'd spent a lot of time making sure that people wouldn't be alienated by our game and that we had plenty of depth and internal consistency to keep everybody interested, but we'd completely underestimated what a huge turn-off the basic idea of the mod was to so many people. Every site where we published our trailer, and every forum thread where people began to discuss the mod, one sentiment would immediately surface like a knee-jerk reflex: What an idiotic concept. Why would anybody spend seven years working on this fan-boy circle-jerk of a game?

We were pretty crestfallen. We'd gone to such lengths to make sure TNM was a game, not just a joke, and many people wouldn't even give it a chance because they immediately assumed the worst. But to make matters worse, we came to realize that we'd frontloaded all the internet references, the fan culture and the memes and the in-jokes right in the first mission of the game.

Part of this was unavoidable. The first mission served by necessity to introduce the player to our setting, so all the opaque references and internet semiotics were presented to you immediately. Once out of the first introductory hub area, the setting would quickly slip into the back seat to leave room for the plot itself, but too many people seemed to never reach it, having lost all interest long before then. Since The Nameless Mod is free to download, we have no demo, but in terms of convincing people to invest their time in playing through TNM, that introduction area is all we have, and it seems to be doing a rather poor job.

Perhaps our greatest mistake was to tell people that The Nameless Mod was inspired by a real community that existed on the internet at one point in time. I suspect people in general would be a lot more susceptible to our quirky cyberspace setting if they thought we'd just invented it as a Snow Crash-esque sci-fi take on the internet, because then they wouldn't associate us with the reviled genre of "forum fan fiction" to begin with, and once playing the game, they wouldn't be expecting in-jokes everywhere. Much of the feedback we've received has implied that people constantly see in-jokes and obscure references when by far most of the game's fiction was either invented specifically to suit the plot or the setting or twisted so far out of its original shape that it no longer bears any resemblance to the events or the people it was inspired by.

A well-known games journalist graciously defending our concept wrote: "no wonder everyone makes games with space marines being gruff". I'd like to think people are generally open to new concepts, but I'll admit that our premise and our setting do us no favors. Not, however, because TNM is too weird -- there have been many successful games far stranger than The Nameless Mod and our world is quite recognizable when it comes down to it. But at the same time it reminds people of a genre of fiction that is almost never executed well. If we'd managed to set ourselves further apart from that genre with all the PR material we sent out, and if we'd done more to change people's expectations before firing up the game, I think we'd had a much easier sell.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!
I'm hoping someone can post a Deus Ex:IW saved game at the start of the Return to Cairo segment. I'm currently in Antarctica after turning on the power in the Versalife base and the game just keeps crashing no matter what route I take out, I've loaded an earlier save but no dice still crashing. After suffering with the beginning of this game after quickly finishing Deus Ex 1 a week ago, I don't feel like just watching a let's play on youtube. Thanks to anyone who can help.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fonzarelli posted:

It is, but trust me, if you play it for a couple of hours (probably less than that), you will realize that you are playing tried and true Deus Ex gameplay. You'll be crawling around in ducts exploring hidden nooks and crannies in no time. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the makers of this mod truly get why Deus Ex is awesome. I promise you, except for the lame premise, this mod is A+ quality.

I can say that it is objectively better than Deus Ex 2 at least.

Xander77 posted:

There's a spot near the beginning you can stack things up to get to a hidden ledge that has some sort of secret (can't remember what). Stacking random poo poo is the only way to get there afaik. It's that kind of exploration that made Deus Ex so great, and there's just so goddamn much of it in Nameless Mod. There's no way that someone who loved Deus Ex could possibly not enjoy Nameless Mod unless you're THAT hung up on its premise.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 10, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

There's the loving thing - if it WAS a Snow Crash-esque take on the internet, all the in-jokes included, I would have LOVED IT. But it wasn't. You could replace every internet term with a generic RPG term, and the plot / characterization would be EXACTLY the same. Not a single interesting possibility about the concept is exploited.

What does your hacking skill do if you're already inside the computer? Oh, hack terminals, as usual?

If "killing people" is just... errr... well, never explained, really, but if the only way to permanently deal with someone is to ban them from orbit, what does killing people do? The exact same thing it does in every RPG, you say? Makes sense.

Hell, the makers themselves forget completely about the premise. Here's one bit that everyone cites as relatively clever (TNM spoilers):

If you kill the big bad, you get a fourth-wall breaking game over.

BUT THE GAME JUST loving ESTABLISHED THAT KILLING HIM WILL DO NOTHING, AND YOU NEED TO BAN HIM INSTEAD! Goddamit.

So many wasted opportunities.

:goonsay:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That guy basically just outlined everything I feel is negative about Nameless Mod. The rest of it though is pure gold.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I wish I could use some of TNM's weapons in basic DX. The EMP gun in particular is amazingly useful.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

The Nameless Mod Postmortem posted:

Perhaps our greatest mistake was to tell people that The Nameless Mod was inspired by a real community that existed on the internet at one point in time. I suspect people in general would be a lot more susceptible to our quirky cyberspace setting if they thought we'd just invented it as a Snow Crash-esque sci-fi take on the internet, because then they wouldn't associate us with the reviled genre of "forum fan fiction" to begin with, and once playing the game, they wouldn't be expecting in-jokes everywhere.

So the problem isn't that they made a forum circlejerk game, it's that they didn't lie enough about what it was? Because "a game about our forum celebrities" and "a game that parodies the concept of virtual communities" are two very different things and from what I've seen they made the former. I haven't even played it much and I trust people when they say it gets better but the developers' stance here strikes me as rather weasely.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I know the guy who were producer on TNM and I'm pretty sure he once told me why they did it. Of course, I can't remember it. But I'm sorta trying to write up a retrospective on Deus Ex, so I might just grill him again, for a mod-specific section...

This also makes me painfully aware that I haven't played it very much. Should get started, really.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I wish I could use some of TNM's weapons in basic DX. The EMP gun in particular is amazingly useful.
Eh? I remember it was only useful for enemies specific to TNM (:argh: ). For everything else, there was the GEP gun (the gep gun could be useful)

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I've got three questions. First, what's the deal with Joe Green, the Journalist you see throughout the game. Oddly enough, there's no entry for him in the Deus Ex wiki, yet they somehow justify having an entry for the front desk clerk at UNATCO.

Deus Ex Wiki posted:

Lloyd is never seen outside in combat like other UNATCO troops. This may be due to the fact that he is inexperienced compared to the other troops. Lloyd is never seen outside of his station in the game. When the player escapes from UNATCO HQ, it is possible to kill Lloyd, but it is entirely up to the player. Killing Lloyd will not affect the game in any way.

Good thing Deus Ex isn't Star Trek or Star Wars, otherwise he'd have his own god drat graphic novel trilogy by now. (I'd still read it)

Anyway, about Joe Green, who was he really working for? There are a number of different sites that have their own theories. Since he produces a lot of anti-government, pro-liberty articles that you can read in the paper, a very trusting person would assume that he is sincere in his beliefs that totalitarian rule is unjustified. Later, when you are given the mission to kill him, a picture is given to you as "proof" that he is a MJ12 informant. The picture alone is clearly inconclusive. Confronting him does not make him confess, but he runs. It's certainly possible this was a frame up. MJ12 could have been confronting him.

Another option, and certainly one in keeping with "conspiracy theory" literature (and yes, real life CIA activities) is that Green may be working with MJ12 in some way. I see two possibilities. 1) That he is an unwilling participant who is fed bad information from people he thinks are giving him good information. This happens in real life all the time with the CIA, but there's no real evidence this is happening here, which leaves option 2) The articles are intentionally designed to draw out NSF sympathizers who are then handed over to MJ12. This makes a lot of sense and is in keeping with what Green writes, fairly innocuous information overall.

Some additional analysis from the Official Steam Forums:

Steam Forums posted:

Nothing happens, but I am very confident that he is innocent. It is simply supposed to be an interesting grey area for the player regarding the Illuminati. Jacobson, Tong, Daedalus, are all consistently warning you not to trust them. The only reason the player-base is being thrown off is that Greene is scripted to say, "You've scooped me this time." when confronted about it. I think he just says this because he got spooked, or was forced to divulge information (as the photo appears to suggest). But it is clear that Greene was beginning to become more and more knowledgeable of the conspiracy, and the Illuminati didn't want him publishing any more articles revealing their story.

If you mention Dowd's name, it apparently triggers a thug to follow you. Not sure if I tried this. I think it happens regardless of whether you kill Green or not though. Does anyone know Green's deal then or is it supposed to be open to debate? Cut content perhaps? Or was he one of those characters the developers wanted to provide some resolution to by the end of the game?

Another (probably much simpler) question. How do you get General Carter to approve of your methods after the second mission. I always use non-violent methods to knock the NSF people unconscious, but it never satisfies him. Do I have to avoid them altogether?

Finally, is there any additional Deus Ex material to go through other than the Bible? Comics and stuff like that I mean? I've pre-ordered The Icarus Effect due out next month, but who knows if that will either be any good or if it will contribute to my knowledge of the universe in any substantive way.

Iacen posted:

I'm sorta trying to write up a retrospective on Deus Ex...

Post it here. I like having my views on 10 year old games read back to me.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

StickySweater posted:

Joe Green

The crosshairs turn red when he runs, thus he is a bad guy. You must kill him.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Speaking of Joe Greene, is it normal for everyone in the Free Clinic during that portion of the game to run away from you screaming on sight? I was suspicious of the photo I was given as "proof" of Joe's traitorous activities, and I thought I'd speak with him first. He refused to talk to me, though, and just kept running around in circles in the Free Clinic. So...I stabbed him.

I think I had either my gun or the Dragon's Tooth out, but none of the other characters in the game have ever really cared about you just pointing weapons at them. There was also another weird thing that happened during that visit to Hell's Kitchen to meet Dowd. The police and MIB in the area were battling what looked like NSF soldiers, except the NSF soldiers were shooting at me in addition to the police. So it was like this weird 3 way battle where if I was out of sight then they'd go at each other, but when they saw me then they tried to shoot at me every once in a while.

I think I accidentally aggro'ed somebody I shouldn't have aggro'ed during that section, but I don't really have any idea who.

Unrelated question, are there any goodies I missed by not fully exploring that weird sunken lab room in Versalife? I noticed they had augs locked up there, but I couldn't see any real way to get at them. Before getting in the helicopter in Hong Kong I went back to Versalife in an attempt to completely clean it out, but I just couldn't deal with all the guys in that room with their exploding armor and plasma rifle nonsense.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I installed the nameless mod, but the font size is so small I can't read books / read conversations without leaning in. Is there any fix? I'm playing on a 16:10 monitor if it helps.