Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I was looking through random images on Waffleimages earlier, and found this:

It appears to be a game of some sort? Anyone know what this might be? I ran it through tineye and didn't find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary
May 21, 2004
Completely random question, so I figure it'd go here. Does anyone in Texas know how Texas State University in San Marcos ranks for computer science as far as state schools go? Would a CS degree from there carry any weight ?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Binary posted:

Completely random question, so I figure it'd go here. Does anyone in Texas know how Texas State University in San Marcos ranks for computer science as far as state schools go? Would a CS degree from there carry any weight ?

Better than nothing, but it's a tier-2 state school without a particularly impressive science/math reputation. It's the internships and side work that really help determine your employability when you're fresh out of school with a CS degree, but all things being equal, see above.

If you intend to continue on to graduate studies, I'd definitely say avoid. If you're a huge self-driven learner, you'll be okay. If you fall somewhere in between and are looking for maximum likelihood of employment immediately after graduation, roll up I-35 to UT-Austin. Of course, that assumes you can get into UT; if you can, the slight savings in tuition at TxState isn't worth the hit in status.

Also, God I hope you're in-state or getting a scholarship. There's no reason to go to TxState if you aren't.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I need to completely uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome, but I don't want to lose all my saved favorites. Other than manually copying every address and saving it somewhere else is there any other way to do this?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Liar posted:

I need to completely uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome, but I don't want to lose all my saved favorites. Other than manually copying every address and saving it somewhere else is there any other way to do this?

Something like Xmarks or if Chrome has a built-in sync feature, I forget if it does.

Binary
May 21, 2004

SIHappiness posted:

Better than nothing, but it's a tier-2 state school without a particularly impressive science/math reputation. It's the internships and side work that really help determine your employability when you're fresh out of school with a CS degree, but all things being equal, see above.

If you intend to continue on to graduate studies, I'd definitely say avoid. If you're a huge self-driven learner, you'll be okay. If you fall somewhere in between and are looking for maximum likelihood of employment immediately after graduation, roll up I-35 to UT-Austin. Of course, that assumes you can get into UT; if you can, the slight savings in tuition at TxState isn't worth the hit in status.

Also, God I hope you're in-state or getting a scholarship. There's no reason to go to TxState if you aren't.

I've applied to UT as well, I should have stated earlier that I'm a transfer student and a Texas resident. My GPA is decent but not stellar. I want to move to Austin and know that UT would be a top choice, but I'm looking for a backup in case that does not go through. I'm not fresh out of school and have several years of legit work experience, I'm just looking for a bachelor's degree to capstone my resume and CS is the subject I have the most credits in. For that purpose would Texas State be sufficient if I have experience to put down and I'm confident that I can do and learn poo poo?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A Violence Gang posted:

Something like Xmarks or if Chrome has a built-in sync feature, I forget if it does.

It sure does

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Does anyone know of a lightweight image editor that you can use commercially that allows for transparency? It doesn't have to be complicated at all, I really just need a line tool, a fill tool, and a pencil tool for individual pixels and the ability to change the alpha of pixels. Been using GIMP but it's a pain in the rear end for anything small.

Liar posted:

Chrome saves all its bookmarks in a file at ...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks. Just copy that file to your desktop, uninstall, reinstall, and put the copy back in that directory.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=501d9a38a1976525&hl=en

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson is supposed to be a good read, if not 100% accurate.
Don't get Mother Tongue, it's garbage. To say it's "not 100% accurate" is like saying Mick Jagger is "getting a little old."

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

I was looking through random images on Waffleimages earlier, and found this:

It appears to be a game of some sort? Anyone know what this might be? I ran it through tineye and didn't find anything.

Wow, I'm surprised this worked but I just used the forums search feature and searched the image's name and here's where it came up.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2949744&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post362223605

e: I realized that might sound a bit sarcastic but I'm serious, I didn't expect anything to come of that after Google failed me at doing the same thing.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

TetsuoTW posted:

Don't get Mother Tongue, it's garbage. To say it's "not 100% accurate" is like saying Mick Jagger is "getting a little old."

Fair enough, I haven't read it but I like his writing style so I figured it was worth a go.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Binary posted:

I've applied to UT as well, I should have stated earlier that I'm a transfer student and a Texas resident. My GPA is decent but not stellar. I want to move to Austin and know that UT would be a top choice, but I'm looking for a backup in case that does not go through. I'm not fresh out of school and have several years of legit work experience, I'm just looking for a bachelor's degree to capstone my resume and CS is the subject I have the most credits in. For that purpose would Texas State be sufficient if I have experience to put down and I'm confident that I can do and learn poo poo?

If you've got legit work experience, this is a totally different question. Yeah, you'll be fine there.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Fair enough, I haven't read it but I like his writing style so I figured it was worth a go.
I was totally in the same boat. I really enjoy his writing, so I bought a copy, but I genuinely couldn't finish it because the errors, folk etymologies, and ignorance that it's littered with put me right off. As early as page 14 you get this old chestnut full of crap: "The Eskimos, as is well known, have fifty words for types of snow - though curiously no word for just plain snow." It's a shame, too, because if you can see past the bullshit it really is a good read.

e: Oh, and if you know any other languages, prepare either to be insulted or to piss yourself laughing at how little research or even fact-checking went into his comments on them.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 6, 2011

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

Seconded, the book is most entirely lies.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Now I want there to be a linguist version of "Drunk History" where a linguist flips through the book, cusses angrily at the error s/he finds and takes a shot. Repeat until fade to black (figuratively and literally). Best new youtube series ever.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I got a Boss Distortion pedal, Boss harmonist/octave phaseshifters and a Crybaby wah. What is the best order to hook them up from my guitar to my amp?

alan negative
Aug 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Tostito posted:

I got a Boss Distortion pedal, Boss harmonist/octave phaseshifters and a Crybaby wah. What is the best order to hook them up from my guitar to my amp?

I think that sort of thing depends on how you want it to sound.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

TetsuoTW posted:

I was totally in the same boat. I really enjoy his writing, so I bought a copy, but I genuinely couldn't finish it because the errors, folk etymologies, and ignorance that it's littered with put me right off. As early as page 14 you get this old chestnut full of crap: "The Eskimos, as is well known, have fifty words for types of snow - though curiously no word for just plain snow." It's a shame, too, because if you can see past the bullshit it really is a good read.

e: Oh, and if you know any other languages, prepare either to be insulted or to piss yourself laughing at how little research or even fact-checking went into his comments on them.

nooooooo that is terrible :( I'm sorry I even mentioned it, but I am glad that I will never be tempted to read it myself. Unless, as Aphasian suggests, I want to get totally hammered.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'm sorry I even mentioned it
Don't be, I kind of feel it's something that needs to be made known. Bryson's travel writing is great, and even Mother Tongue is entertainingly written, but people should be told in advance what to expect.

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

TETSUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

...you seem pretty knowledgeable, what's your pick for a good layman's etymology primer?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Tostito posted:

It definitely depends on how you want it to sound. I'd recommend: harmonist, distortion, wah. That way, your harmony/octaver is processing a clean signal, instead of dealing with all the tonal insanity that a distorted signal has. Then you distort that sound. Then your wah is altering the tone of the entire signal. This is assuming you are intending to use the wah in its normal way (making the wah-wah-wah-wah sound) and not as an envelope filter.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Wow, I'm surprised this worked but I just used the forums search feature and searched the image's name and here's where it came up.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2949744&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post362223605

e: I realized that might sound a bit sarcastic but I'm serious, I didn't expect anything to come of that after Google failed me at doing the same thing.

Thanks, not nearly as interesting as I had hoped though. Nice trick with the search though; I considered doing that myself but didn't think it would actually work.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Re: Tropical mosquito bites

Your oozing, swollen red bites probably come from the humid environment in which you get bit. Your mosquito-induced wound becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and, as a result, pus, when enough moisture is present from the air. In drier climates, your wounds do not become as inflamed. This is also why you're supposed to remove bandages to air out any open injury - if there's moisture around open flesh, infection abounds.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I was posting asking the name of a nerd joke site I had seen linked to from a thread here, and could not find it, but I found something like it so:

http://anti-joke.com/popular/anti-joke

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

kapalama posted:

I was posting asking the name of a nerd joke site I had seen linked to from a thread here, and could not find it, but I found something like it so:

quote:

Knock knock.

Who's there?

To.

To who?

To whom.
I think this is my new favorite joke ever.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

kapalama posted:

I love this poo poo.

Why did grandpa climb the phone pole with bananas in a backpack?

He has a debilitating disease. He is slowly losing touch with reality.

Yo momma so fat she went on the Subway diet and is now exercising regularly to lose weight.

Why doesn't Michael Jackson play with Macaulay Culkin?

Because he's dead.

What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A horrible boating accident.

Have you seen Stevie Wonder's new house?

No.

Well, it's really nice.

So this guy walks into the doctor's and says "Doctor, it hurts when I poke my leg like this." The doctor says "Yes, you've shattered both your kneecaps. You'll never walk again."

What does an Eagle and a Mole have in common?

They both live underground. Apart from the Eagle.

A man walks into a bar. Except it was a metal bar, like a pole. So he got hurt.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

I love this poo poo.

What do you call a Muslim flying an airplane?

A pilot.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Always like this one:

How do you find Will Smith in a snowstorm?
Look for the fresh prints.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But that's a real joke. The anti-joke would be something like "shout his name".

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Is there a simple site where I can upload a file too large for an email attachment (50mb), get a link for it, and then share the link with a friend? Kind of like waffle images with large files.

I know there are sites out there, but I'm looking for a simple one that doesn't have a bunch of ad crap all over it that asks you to sign up for faster transfer speeds and stuff.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

haveblue posted:

But that's a real joke. The anti-joke would be something like "shout his name".
To clarify: Wasn't posting as an anti-joke. Though, I did enjoy those anti-jokes. The Will Smith joke is more a violation of expectations kinda joke.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Is there a simple site where I can upload a file too large for an email attachment (50mb), get a link for it, and then share the link with a friend? Kind of like waffle images with large files.

I know there are sites out there, but I'm looking for a simple one that doesn't have a bunch of ad crap all over it that asks you to sign up for faster transfer speeds and stuff.

MegaUpload is pretty good for stuff like this. It has a 45-second wait period for non-members, but none of that "only one download at a time, and a 15-minute wait between downloads" poo poo that a lot of others have. IIRC, members have greater speeds, but the free speeds are pretty great.

If you plan on using something like this in the long term, I'd sign up with the DropBox instead.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

If you plan on using something like this in the long term, I'd sign up with the DropBox instead.

I would do this either way. DropBox is excellent and everyone should use it for everything. Want to share a file? Just pop it in the folder DropBox is synced to on your computer, wait for it to upload, right click it and copy the link, then email it.

You can even get the link before it's done uploading and email it ahead of time if you don't expect they'll open the email for a while.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
What was that site that posted pictures of particularly "fashionable" people, mostly Scandinavians? It was posted here one time and there was one big fat Swedish guy in a suit that attracted a lot of attention. Also some awesomely dressed old ladies and a whoooole bunch of hipsters. Not lookbook. It was one picture per page and had a little blurb to the right of the photo about the person.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

eating only apples posted:

What was that site that posted pictures of particularly "fashionable" people, mostly Scandinavians?

This????

http://www.hel-looks.com/

Mentioned here
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/fashion-swat/hel-looks-swat.php

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jeffrey Colon posted:

This one rocks and is no-nonsense.
http://www.filedropper.com/

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

eating only apples posted:

What was that site that posted pictures of particularly "fashionable" people, mostly Scandinavians? It was posted here one time and there was one big fat Swedish guy in a suit that attracted a lot of attention. Also some awesomely dressed old ladies and a whoooole bunch of hipsters. Not lookbook. It was one picture per page and had a little blurb to the right of the photo about the person.

The Sartorialist?

Travakian fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 8, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Oh that's the one! I forgot about the fashion SWAT :) Thanks!

alariens421
Dec 17, 2009
I feel like this website answers the question on all our minds that we are too afraid to ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chompsky Honk
Aug 28, 2009

by T. Finninho
Tell me the name of the 2d Platformer game for PC that you played as a ball, and would have to change into different balls to solve different puzzles; glass, hard rubber, bouncy rubber etc. I may be completely wrong but I remember the name being something like "The Long Journey"